VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Bought first beetle...now I have a question...

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Mk4Mr. 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm a long time MK4 VW guy, and I recently bought a 2000 beetle. The car is a silver 2.0 with a 5-speed. It's got a severe crack in the trans case. I gave $200 for it with 114,000 miles on it. The interior is … UHG … but will clean up. It also needs interior door panels and a driver's side window regulator. Engine runs very nicely, and the trans actually shifts through all gears like normal and moves around my yard just fine. I put new plugs in it today, and noticed that there is no SAI pump. I mean no pump, no pump bracket, no harness connector, no hoses, and no empty holes in the air box. What's going on? Didn't all beetles have SAI systems? On my 2.0 Jettas, the SAI pump was right in front of the intake...right in your face...Oh yeah....I have no cell's. :confused::confused:

#2 · (Edited)
Did you check the vin # and confirm the year? I have heard some of the early models: not having a sai system? I've heard of this before but never seen this myself, however (saw no sai system on a 98 audi a4 1.8T i worked on, though). This may not be the case but it's definitely something to look for and research to see if it is on your new beetlel! Note: early new beetle's shared some parts with the previous generation Mark III Golfs/Jettas (engines, shifter boxes etc.).

#5 ·
Hello! Yes, everything checks out with the VIN etc... It is an AEG, and has the later model MK4 shift tower. This car just didn't have any SAI system. I'd like to know more about which cars didn't have the system and why, but I haven't found any other info on it yet. I'm actually glad it doesn't have the system...just another place for a vacuum leak....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.