VWVortex.com - Quantum Coupe Questions
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Quantum Coupe Questions

1. 01-06-2020 05:57 PM #1
      I have owned and still own a number of air cooled VWs (currently: 67 Cal Look 2332cc sunroof sedan, '70 Fastback, '73 Super Beetle) as well as a daily driven MK7 GTI, but I recently picked up my first "early-ish" VW-a 1982 Quantum Coupe. I have only seen one other, when I was a kid. My neighbor's friend bought a new, metallic green coupe. This car is in pretty good shape overall-it needs some body work and some interior work, but it runs well, everything seems to work and it has records and manuals going back to the day it was sold new.

A few things: I know coupes were only sold in the USA for a short time, from 1982 and part of 1983, but can anyone confirm this? I have also been told that only 1,700 were sold here, which seems believable given the low sales numbers of the Sedan and Wagon. Anyone have exact numbers? I cannot imagine that many survive today.

One other question is about my car itself. The drivers side window has a crank window, but the passenger side is power. The previous owner-who was the second owner-said he thinks the original owner did not want to spend the money to have the power window motor replaced when it quit, so he replaced it with a manual window regulator and crank. That made the most sense to me too, except that it almost seems that it came this way. The passenger side power window switch is in the center console, next to several block outs. I would assume the drivers side power window switch would have been on the left side of the console, in the opposite position-but there is none. It is not missing-it has the plastic blanking plate over the space I would assume it went, and it matches the brown interior. It would be funny that VW would put one crank window, and one power, although I suppose they could have made the passenger one power since it is out of reach from the drivers seat. Seems an odd place to cut costs, but then let's remember that even a new top line Golf R has a manual passenger seat, and in the mid 1970s VW eliminated the oil drain plug on Type 1's and 3's, so it is possible. Can anyone tell me if my car should have a power drivers window, or if it did indeed come like this?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      TT225, 76 Dasher, 2014 Golf
      01-14-2020 02:29 PM #2
      Very cool car, and very interesting story about the windows.
      I've always liked these cars, but thought a set of euro bumpers and headlights would be the way to go. Along with getting rid of the tweed brown interior they all seemed to have.

Have you tried taking out the blanking plate to see if there is a harness just dangling behind it? I think that will tell the story. No on in their right mind would go through the trouble of removing the harness if they went to manual.

4. 01-16-2020 06:15 PM #3
      Thank you. I have not done that yet, but I am going to. The car came with a bunch of new parts. I am currently replacing the rear brakes, and should be done over the weekend. The body has some rust, nothing major but it is there, so in another week-two I am having the body work done and a complete repaint. Some regular and preventative maintenance (timing belt for example), replacing the tiny and cheap front muffler with the correct one, and very complete detailing and some minor interior work and it should be a nice car again. It came with all of the original manuals and books. I managed to contact the original owner through facebook-she bought it new in her early 20s and sold it to her dad after five years of daily driving. He had it until about 4 years ago. I am used to a large community of air cooled VW enthusiasts-there is almost no one that appreciates the B2 Passat/Quantum in the USA it seems, so it should be an interesting car at the VW events.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      TT225, 76 Dasher, 2014 Golf
      01-17-2020 03:08 PM #4
      Absolutely, it will be a very cool car to see at events.
      I am restoring a Dasher, and just like the Quantum, you never ever see them. So I'm really looking forward to when it's done. Good luck with your car, as you probably already know, you can get quite a few parts for it, just not any glass or sheet metal.

7. 02-04-2020 01:03 PM #5
      Good luck with your car as well. I have not seen a Dasher in several years. Yes, it is very difficult to find trim parts for. I am searching for a few trim items (lenses, rear window seal, window scrapers, etc) as well as power window motors and regulators, and so far, it has been a real uphill battle. I would think that some items such as the power window motors would be shared with other VW models of the time, but that does not seem to be the case. Mechanical bits seem to be available and pretty inexpensive, however.