VWVortex.com - Selling 3-door MK7 GTI 6MT for a stick shift sedan, but which sedan?!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Selling 3-door MK7 GTI 6MT for a stick shift sedan, but which sedan?!

1. 01-08-2020 01:17 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      I get it, but the car has 12,000 miles on it. There's no excuse for clutch slip. Period.
      While I agree with you in theory... someone can easily abuse a clutch into slippage with less than 12k miles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-08-2020 01:19 PM #77
      I get it, but the car has 12,000 miles on it.
      Well, technically you could destroy a clutch even sooner if you drive it badly. But yea everyone knows the MK7 has had weak clutches. Getting a tune is almost a guarantee that youll need a new clutch. (I know your is stock)

I would just find a good indie shop and get it replaced. Shouldnt be THAT expensive.
      Last edited by absoluteczech; 01-08-2020 at 01:23 PM.

01-08-2020 01:21 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      In that case, I know of a pretty nice Audi dealership close by.

Trade that POS in and lease yourself a new Audi!
      I have said enough for now. There's still a lot going on that I don't want to poison the well on, but from where I stand right now, this is the end of my VW/Audi/Porsche intentions.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

5. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-08-2020 01:22 PM #79
      I have said enough for now. There's still a lot going on that I don't want to poison the well on, but from where I stand right now, this is the end of my VW/Audi/Porsche intentions.
      I understand you turning sour to the brand due to this.

If it makes you feel any better, my experiences with Audi of America on the phone have been nothing but pleasant, and they were happy to work with me on making sure I was a happy customer at the end of the day. So while VWoA might suck, AoA is still on their game.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

01-08-2020 01:23 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by EverthingIsTerrible View Post
      While I agree with you in theory... someone can easily abuse a clutch into slippage with less than 12k miles
      I have been driving for nearly 30 years. I have never once burned a clutch out. Ever. SO I hear you on the wear, but this is NOT a matter of wear.
      Matt

7. 01-08-2020 01:29 PM #81
      I have been driving for nearly 30 years. I have never once burned a clutch out. Ever. SO I hear you on the wear, but this is NOT a matter of wear.
      They should definitely drop it and inspect for free, not make you pay for it and then go from there.

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      01-08-2020 01:30 PM #82
      I hear ya. My 17k mile Cayman clutch/flywheel grenade'd. Nobody wants to believe you though when you tell them.

01-08-2020 01:33 PM #83
      I will just say this and then I will leave this topic alone:

The dealer has been excellent so far to work with, and is taking my side. My issue is with VWoA, and always has been.

But buyer beware. If this is how they are going to treat someone who is on their 5th VW, doesn't abuse his car, and doesn't modify......
      Matt

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      01-08-2020 01:39 PM #84
      OP's list is a little depressing IMO.

The E90 over a MK7 GTI? Realllly?

Comparing a Sentra to a GLI?

IMO the car ticks all the boxes is 4-Door MK7 GTI lol.

11. 01-08-2020 01:41 PM #85
      maybe he doesnt need 4 doors or 2 doors but 3! OP get urself a veloster

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      01-08-2020 01:49 PM #86
      Mini Clubman

4 years old, 35k miles, manual, 5 doors, great tech, drivability, $14k

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1809/overview/

Upgrade to the S, $16k

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6203/overview/

There's just too damn many freshly used cars from 2016-2018 in the 14k range to consider an old crusty-ass 15 year old E90 even if you'll save half.

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      01-08-2020 01:51 PM #87
      2016 BMW X1, no manual, no care. Worlds beyond an E90.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4926/overview/

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      01-08-2020 01:54 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      G37 or, more realistically at this budget, G35 sedan is a great option. Probably the best.

I guess maybe an Accord Sport could be decent too.
      The main problem with the G37/35 is that the manual sedans are super rare, and most of them have NOT aged well. They've got the WRX syndrome, all used examples are beat.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      01-08-2020 01:55 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      2016 BMW X1, no manual, no care. Worlds beyond an E90.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4926/overview/
      What is wrong with you?

Vehicles
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      01-08-2020 02:09 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      OP's list is a little depressing IMO.

The E90 over a MK7 GTI? Realllly?

Comparing a Sentra to a GLI?

IMO the car ticks all the boxes is 4-Door MK7 GTI lol.

It all depends, what Sentra you compare it too. Advanced or Basic sentra, i laughed too... but when comparing the Nismo vs the GLI, things start to get closed by.

Even with the 2.0 on stock form it is a little bit faster the GLI than the Nismo (tune is a different story and even then with just a tune and fmic and CAI you can achieve 230-240whp), the interior is where the GLI shines vs the Sentra, even though the sentra has the recaro with alcantara, the infotainment just killed that interior. Interior space Nismo is bigger, trunk they are fairly big on both of them, maintenance and insurance made the Nismo a better choice for me. I could have gone with an plebian A3, or a GLI (dealership didn't want to find a brand new one for me, i was purchasing when they decided to kill the MKVII GLI) and since i wanted an all around car (baby hauler, toy for me and road trip vehicle) i was steered towards the Nismo, quiet frankly it hasn't dissapointed and even on a small mexico run i did with a guy with a tuned Bettle, and exhaust the sentra kept up with it he just got me by a fender, (his was DSG) i have the 6sp.

Like i said i know people hate on Nissans, but just like with me, you can at least give it a try, i know i did and i haven't regretted it one bit. Even a few months ago while my brother was buying his vento i went in to take a look at the GLI and the interior room was a tad bit smaller compared to the sentra wife and i agreed that we did right not waiting for the newer GLI since i got a pretty nice discount on the Nismo. Which is also another great point, i've seen guys over at the FB group purchasing below MSRP without much effort.
      Last edited by SICKVDUB1; 01-08-2020 at 06:34 PM.

01-08-2020 02:27 PM #91
      Funny that the clutch has been brought up. I was just telling my wife that the MKVII clutch is super weak. It is one of the cons for the car and even though I don’t do burnouts or abuse it, it still is a concern for me knowing that it will fail relatively much shorter than other clutches.

My dad’s 190E with over 300k when I started driving it back in HS was still original. I expect clutches to last a minimum of 150k.

Sorry to hear about your 12k mile Golf R with a bad clutch. I would feel disappointed in VW and VWoA with how the materials used and the customer service. I hope you can find a solution that you can live with and continue to enjoy your R!

Vehicles
      GTI | Sport
      01-08-2020 02:39 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Hahah Lease was up , but yea I should have just kept it! But honestly the height of a the SUV is what we enjoy the most. Taking a baby in and our of the car sucks when you have to hunch down. You'll know soon enough Congrats btw
      He's going to get a ride in the GTI every day on the way to daycare. I'm hoping you're wrong. Thanks!

I get it, but the car has 12,000 miles on it. There's no excuse for clutch slip. Period. And there's plenty of evidence both here and on the FB pages that the clutches are weak.

VW wants me to pay $1500 to drop the trans, with no guarantee that they will warranty it. Sorry, not doing that on a $40,000 car that's effectively brand new still.
      At that point, you'd be better off just getting the clutch done proactively somewhere else and swap in a beefed-up aftermarket option. Assuming you're planning on keeping it, of course.

I wonder if the Golf R is more prone to premature clutch failure (vs. the GTI), due to the increased power output?
      17 gti sport | 16 xc60 t5 | seventwosix

Vehicles
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      01-08-2020 03:33 PM #93
      When going car shopping, try going in with the car seat and stroller youre going to use, if you have it or can borrow from a friend. Based on my experience with the Mazda3 we had before our son was born I am gonna say the ATS is a non-starter. Fitting an adult in the back seat is not the same as being able to fit a rear facing seat and then being comfortable in the front seat. In the Mazda, my knees were wedged up against the dash, and Im not a big guy (59)

I get that fun to drive is still a factor, but the ability to fit (or not) the baby and related big-ticket items will outweigh any minute gains in steering feel or dash stroking abilities. Thats why in my mind, a GLI beats a 5dr GTI in daily usability. And Im saying this as someone whos looking to get one once Jr. is out of daycare/stroller/rear facing hell.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLateGTI View Post
      C300 can save me 6-7k, and thanks to the poster above that posted the race car. Tranny and engine are stock but I heard that suspension and brakes are from C63 for that race car that has thousands* of hours on it and the owners find it reliable.
      Im very familiar with this car and you are right, there are a lot of hours and trick work in some areas of the car like the C63 brakes; suspension is Bilstein club race coilovers and the control arms are standard pieces with spherical bushings). My favorite bit is the Mk60 standalone ABS system.

But all that aside, having driven a standard W203 as well, if youre considering an E90 street car, a manual W203 should be a strong consideration given the similarities between the two. The W203 is a very underrated platform. If you find yourself straying from the manual-only requirement, the C350 Sport is 300 hp of reliable NA goodness. Not as good as an M-sport, but it wont have any of the N54/N55 drawbacks.

01-08-2020 04:09 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      When going car shopping, try going in with the car seat and stroller youre going to use, if you have it or can borrow from a friend. Based on my experience with the Mazda3 we had before our son was born I am gonna say the ATS is a non-starter. Fitting an adult in the back seat is not the same as being able to fit a rear facing seat and then being comfortable in the front seat. In the Mazda, my knees were wedged up against the dash, and Im not a big guy (59)

I get that fun to drive is still a factor, but the ability to fit (or not) the baby and related big-ticket items will outweigh any minute gains in steering feel or dash stroking abilities. Thats why in my mind, a GLI beats a 5dr GTI in daily usability. And Im saying this as someone whos looking to get one once Jr. is out of daycare/stroller/rear facing hell.

Im very familiar with this car and you are right, there are a lot of hours and trick work in some areas of the car like the C63 brakes; suspension is Bilstein club race coilovers and the control arms are standard pieces with spherical bushings). My favorite bit is the Mk60 standalone ABS system.

But all that aside, having driven a standard W203 as well, if youre considering an E90 street car, a manual W203 should be a strong consideration given the similarities between the two. The W203 is a very underrated platform. If you find yourself straying from the manual-only requirement, the C350 Sport is 300 hp of reliable NA goodness. Not as good as an M-sport, but it wont have any of the N54/N55 drawbacks.
      OK, now I am intrigued. How are you so familiar with that car?

21. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-08-2020 04:34 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
      I'm hoping you're wrong. Thanks!
      At first it will seem as if I am, but as they get heavier , then I will We also keep our son in the middle. If you kept them on the sides I could see it being a lot easier.

Vehicles
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      01-08-2020 04:45 PM #96
      OK, now I am intrigued. How are you so familiar with that car?
      I was involved with those guys back when we built that car and campaigned it in AER. Car wasnt my brainchild though, so I cant take credit for the trick stuff thats done to it, but Ive got a good amount of my time into it from wrenching to crew support at races. Its been a phenomenally reliable race car, but it hasnt seriously campaigned since 2018. The FCP guys turned pro in 2019 with the TCR series and the MB has been brought out as a party piece on occasion. Lifes also gotten in the way as Ive moved, changed jobs with more travel, and had a kid.

I will say, the durability of the car has impressed me. As I said, the engine and trans are 100% stock pieces, and if youre not familiar with AER, its 6-8 races per year and 16-18 hours of racing each weekend. All of our stops were gas-and-go, the engine never consumed oil or gave us any problems. IIRC back when they bought the car it had I think around 20K miles on it, and I believe its somewhere between 30K or maybe even north of 40K on it, so its got a lot of race miles on it.

Working on it is like working on any VW or BMW. Pretty easy if you have the right tools - E-torx, allens, torx, and triple squares abound.

As I said, its also a pretty good street car. For one of the races at Summit Point, I rode to/from there and CT in the back of a W203 street car they had, a C300 4Matic. Id also driven W203 rental cars back when I drove for Enterprise, again they compared very favorably to the contemporary E90 BMW. Manuals were only in the C300, but the FCP guys had no trouble finding the car they turned into the racer in NYC

23. Member
      Vehicles
      Mazda 2
      01-08-2020 05:32 PM #97
      The ATS is going to be tight, if it fits at all. I'd be in a 2.0 ATS today, except that I found out test driving them last summer that with me (6'2") in the driver seat, my oldest (9) has to have his feet pinned under my seat if he's behind me. My youngest (5) couldn't reach the floor, and his feet stick out into the seat back because of the angle of the floor, so he was forced to sit cross legged in his car seat. He wasn't happy about that, so I passed on it. I can't imagine a rear-facing car seat fitting and the person in front of it being comfortable. I was honestly surprised at the lack of rear seat room.

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2014 VW CC R-line
      01-08-2020 06:37 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by greyvdub_v2.0 View Post
      sleeper pick here - top-line 2.0T B6 Passat WAGON....cargo for DAYS. Fun with a tune / suspension + excels in the looks department. 14k should get you a mint one with low mileage.

if the wife doesnt want a wagon, then a B6 sedan...the trunk is still huge...pic of my old steed. really enjoyed it.

Untitled by peterszew, on Flickr
      This makes me miss my 2010 Passat. I loved it. Ugh.

01-10-2020 12:40 PM #99
      Talking with a dealer and hoping to schedule a test drive by flying down to a southern state.
      Found a car that looks clean in and out with some higher miles. So it's looking like I am going down the road where I go with an older car and pocketing some money rather than making a lateral move. Waiting to hear back about placing a refundable deposit.

Vehicles
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      01-13-2020 12:29 PM #100
      Talking with a dealer and hoping to schedule a test drive by flying down to a southern state.
      Found a car that looks clean in and out with some higher miles. So it's looking like I am going down the road where I go with an older car and pocketing some money rather than making a lateral move. Waiting to hear back about placing a refundable deposit.
      What car is it and how did it go?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast