VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Old (& Broken) Audi

1. Member
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      01-09-2020 10:06 AM #26
      Had one of these back in the day. Great car if a bit underpowered.

Love the cloth interior.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2004 R32
      01-09-2020 10:28 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post

Love the cloth interior.
      Same here, a black 1991 (hence my username). I loved the car but it started to cost me too much to keep at the time. I wish I still had it though.

The 5 cylinder with a scorpion exhaust sounded fantastic, it just didn't go as fast as it sounded. I always wanted to swap a 200 motor or try to turbo the 20V.

OP good luck with it. Glad you made the thread.
      JEMM Auto Detailing: Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Planes, RVs, Bathtubs, if you pay me I will buff it

John

4. Member
      01-09-2020 11:34 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      Also, the quattroworld forums may be a good place to source parts for this thing.

https://forums.quattroworld.com/classifieds-parts/
      This is amazing, thank you!

Love the cloth interior.
      Quote Originally Posted by audicoupej View Post
      Same here, a black 1991 (hence my username). I loved the car but it started to cost me too much to keep at the time. I wish I still had it though.

The 5 cylinder with a scorpion exhaust sounded fantastic, it just didn't go as fast as it sounded. I always wanted to swap a 200 motor or try to turbo the 20V.

OP good luck with it. Glad you made the thread.
      Haha running around the block I can feel what you mean but luckily it'll just be a cruiser/show no go for now. The current accidental muffler delete really gives me the sound I like, quiet idle and cruise but when you open it up it has that nice 5 cyl rumble. My daily is plenty quick enough for me right now but it might motivate me to do something ridiculous down the road anyways (I've been following an S2 clone build on Youtube that's giving me plenty of ideas)
      2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T Manual
      1990 Audi Coupe Quattro
      1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Twin TurboCharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      01-09-2020 12:22 PM #29
      Man, I love these and they are so underappreciated. You can pick these up for cheap. Here is a little inspiration for OP as this showed up at the store the other day:

Untitled by smooremin, on Flickr
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

6. Member
      01-09-2020 12:32 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Man, I love these and they are so underappreciated. You can pick these up for cheap. Here is a little inspiration for OP as this showed up at the store the other day:

This is a beauty. I'd love to find a euro front bumper, the bulbous NA bumper looks like a big underbite lol
      1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

Vehicles
      00 E39 M5,94 Supra TT, 93 Range Rover Classic
      01-10-2020 07:18 AM #31

Love the cloth interior.

Had one a red one myself in like 97. Worse car I ever owned tbh. Bent valves, bad tranny, idle valve, kept burning starters, clutch line all in one summer

mad:. But the days it ran was a show stopper.

Btw I ran Koni adjustable shocks and H&R springs and the\at suspension totally change the car.

Good Luck
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      Be considerate. Most posters here are old and bitter men who lived in their parents' basement during their 20s and are now married to women who drag them by the balls.

You can't expect them to turn this place into The Yolo Lounge.

Vehicles
      Junk
      01-10-2020 09:46 AM #32
      Nice find, keep it up!

9. Member
      01-10-2020 05:09 PM #33
      Small update today,

Work finished early and I have nothing going on today so I decided to deal with a gas smell and losing pressure in the fuel lines (need to prime it a few times for it to fire) fuel pump has been replaced and cleaned up and while doing the filter a noticed the rubber line coming out of the fuel filter didnt look so great. Lo and behold, it was super toast and leaking. So after much searching found a nice new line, cut out the old one, put in the new one and voila no more leaking line. Flanging it was a bit of a pain underneath but with some creativity it was finished. Pic of old crusty line;

1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

10. 01-12-2020 08:41 AM #34
      I take the fuel pumps in these arent great, Scotto from hoonigan replaced the pump on his coupe quattro also

11. Member
      01-12-2020 07:49 PM #35
      Yea they seem to like to die.. but hopefully this one lasts. So after running the car for a while looks like I have a hardware issue. The washers that were used for the banjo bolt on the output side of the fuel line (The one I replaced) seem to be one time use crush washers. It has started leaking like a sieve. Time to find some matching crush washers and hopefully be done with this fuel line stuff so I stop smelling like gas!
      1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      01-13-2020 10:15 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Mooha View Post
      Yea they seem to like to die.. but hopefully this one lasts. So after running the car for a while looks like I have a hardware issue. The washers that were used for the banjo bolt on the output side of the fuel line (The one I replaced) seem to be one time use crush washers. It has started leaking like a sieve. Time to find some matching crush washers and hopefully be done with this fuel line stuff so I stop smelling like gas!
      Crush washers are definitely one time use. But my experience is that the replacements that come with new fuel filters/pumps aren't right. If the washer is too thick (outside minus inside, not height), then it takes more force to crush/seal than you can provide without stripping out threads. I picked up a kit of aluminum crush washers on Amazon a few months ago just because of that. Aluminum also crushes easier than copper. Works for all the times that you forget to buy replacement crush washers for the oil drain plug, as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07G83MF..._DQhhEb5JGWHK8

Vehicles
      Hopes and Dreams
      01-13-2020 10:11 PM #37
      I always loved these cars but yes they were heavy and slow...but looked super fast.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      01-13-2020 10:39 PM #38
      Awesome! Good luck.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

15. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      01-14-2020 01:01 AM #39
      Cool car! I almost bought one some 15 years ago. Keep this thread updated.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

16. Member
      01-14-2020 11:52 AM #40
      Crush washers are definitely one time use. But my experience is that the replacements that come with new fuel filters/pumps aren't right. If the washer is too thick (outside minus inside, not height), then it takes more force to crush/seal than you can provide without stripping out threads. I picked up a kit of aluminum crush washers on Amazon a few months ago just because of that. Aluminum also crushes easier than copper. Works for all the times that you forget to buy replacement crush washers for the oil drain plug, as well.

Just what I need, thank you! For some reason my new fuel filter never came with hardware. It was also a Bosch filter in a FRAM box lol. I will attribute it to Rock Auto's warehouse clearance sale and it getting mixed up at some point.
      1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

17. 01-14-2020 04:34 PM #41

You can reuse copper crush washers if you re-anneal them. (Heat them with a mapp torch to white-hot and quench in water) Just FYI if you need to in a pinch.

18. 01-14-2020 04:39 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      Sweet. And that is not at all a bad interior look for the age of the car. Guess I haven't seen the inside of a Coupe Quattro before
      The interiors in these felt of higher quality than the disposable B5 A4 interiors which looked great when new but dont hold up

19. 01-14-2020 04:41 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post

Thats beautiful, though id prefer these wheels

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      01-14-2020 05:36 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by leontief View Post
      You can reuse copper crush washers if you re-anneal them. (Heat them with a mapp torch to white-hot and quench in water) Just FYI if you need to in a pinch.
      Good to know!

21. Member
      01-14-2020 05:44 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by leontief View Post
      That's great to know, thanks! luckily for this one its no rush but good to store in the back of the brain when I'll inevitably need it
      1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

22. Member
      01-17-2020 11:56 AM #46
      Look what showed up! Hopefully this weekend going to finally finish this fuel line that is taking longer than it really should..

1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

23. 01-19-2020 07:27 PM #47
      Gratulacje panie Piotrusa!

Congrats!

24. Member
      01-20-2020 10:07 AM #48
      Ok.. Fuel lines done and car is back up and running after a while! (Woof, the lifter tick was real)

In the process of running for a while last night it decided that it no longer needs coolant

Time for a silicone hose upgrade!
      1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12