VWVortex.com - TCL, I need your help. I think I'm going electric but I am somewhat lost.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Help!

Voters
    84. You may not vote on this poll
    • Gen 1 Volt

22 26.19%
    • Gen 2 Volt

19 22.62%
    • Tesla

6 7.14%
    • Keep the GTI

25 29.76%
    • Go away, VadGTI. Please.

12 14.29%
    Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: TCL, I need your help. I think I'm going electric but I am somewhat lost.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-09-2020 06:23 PM #76
      Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the used Ioniq EV I posted for $20K? Is it less desirable from a driving standpoint than a Volt?

I'd spend the cash and get a new Model 3 like I originally said. It'll cover the EV desire, but it's also just a very good driving sedan, so you won't be missing your GTI too much (and there are no roll bars to slam your head against). Or better yet, step up to the LR used one you found, pay the $2K for the performance upgrade, and you'll have a great car for some time to come.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      01-09-2020 06:28 PM #77
      I was going to make a comment about how poorly you must treat you clutch to be worrying about needing one. But then I realize, I don't want to jinx myself.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      01-09-2020 06:38 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the used Ioniq EV I posted for $20K? Is it less desirable from a driving standpoint than a Volt?

I'd spend the cash and get a new Model 3 like I originally said. It'll cover the EV desire, but it's also just a very good driving sedan, so you won't be missing your GTI too much (and there are no roll bars to slam your head against). Or better yet, step up to the LR used one you found, pay the $2K for the performance upgrade, and you'll have a great car for some time to come.
      I must have missed the Ioniq suggestion/post. Is it a plug-in or pure EV?

Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      I was going to make a comment about how poorly you must treat you clutch to be worrying about needing one. But then I realize, I don't want to jinx myself.
      Don't blame me, blame VW's glass clutches .
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      01-09-2020 06:52 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Ioniq comes in 3 different flavors; hybrid, plug-in hybrid and pure EV.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-09-2020 07:01 PM #80
      The one I posted is the pure EV version, with 126 mi of range.

01-09-2020 09:20 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Wildcard:

Could always split the Volt/Tesla difference and get a Porsche Volt

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0

Not quite down to $30k though. Low to mid $30s.
      Not gonna lie... I spend the whole afternoon at work looking at these. Didn't realize they had hit so hard by depreciation.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      01-09-2020 09:23 PM #82
      EV is like a computer with wheel... I would suggest get the LATEST generation/model you can afford...
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

01-09-2020 09:38 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      EV is like a computer with wheel... I would suggest get the LATEST generation/model you can afford...
      Truth right here.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      01-09-2020 10:34 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      I'd go with the 2016. But do you actually buy anything in your threads?

Chris
      Didn't he buy some 911 with a neon colored roll cage?

Anyway, I vote Volt. Again.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      01-09-2020 10:36 PM #85
      None of these seem like particularly good options. I wouldn't want to own an EV as old as the first Volt or the Tesla and obviously gen 2 Volt kind of doesn't make sense financially. You also have no level 2 charging at home, so I don't see why you would want an EV in the first place, personally.

If you have other cars for fun, but just need something to put around in, just get some other econobox. If it wasn't a GTI, I would be more on the keep side, but those cars have their own troubles as you probably well know.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      01-09-2020 10:56 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      None of these seem like particularly good options. I wouldn't want to own an EV as old as the first Volt or the Tesla and obviously gen 2 Volt kind of doesn't make sense financially. You also have no level 2 charging at home, so I don't see why you would want an EV in the first place, personally.
      With a Volt, he doesn't need level 2 charging at home to drive 40 miles per day. And the Volt OEM charger can actually be used on a 240V circuit to charge faster than 110V. My son did that with his Volt charger when he was living in an apartment and his parking space was next to the laundry room that had an extra 240V plug. And the Volt can be driven anywhere on gas, even cross country.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Volt, '86 BMW 325E
      01-10-2020 03:40 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      With a Volt, he doesn't need level 2 charging at home to drive 40 miles per day. And the Volt OEM charger can actually be used on a 240V circuit to charge faster than 110V. My son did that with his Volt charger when he was living in an apartment and his parking space was next to the laundry room that had an extra 240V plug. And the Volt can be driven anywhere on gas, even cross country.
      That's very true. There is an adapter that you can buy which allows you to plug the normal level 1 Volt charger into a 240V outlet and run on level 2 charging. Someone did a tear down and from what I remember, the stock Volt charger unit is actually a 16 (or 20 amp) clipper creek unit. I've had my Gen 2 Volt for almost 3 years and still exclusively only charge it on 110V nightly at home.

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      01-10-2020 03:22 PM #88
      Also, I found this, a Tesla Model 3 Long Range with Autopilot and 7k miles for only $38.8k. This was a nearly $60k car two years ago!
      No it wasn't.

$49k and the original buyer got $10k back from the feds+state.

IIRC white was 'free', we paid $1k for red.

EAP was, I think, a $4k option at purchase or $5k after, BUT they sold a slightly-crippled autopilot later for $2k.

So it's entirely possible the buyer of that car had a net outlay of $41k (after credits, before reg+taxes)
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      01-10-2020 07:25 PM #89
      first volt. You like it, and have a fun car, why have a payment on a daily when you dont have too?

Vehicles
      BRZ
      01-10-2020 08:53 PM #90
      I really liked the combination of my eGolf and 986 Boxster. It's so good to have a smooth, quiet, clinical modern EV in addition to a noisy, "old", German sports car with a lot of soul and smells.

I would like to say "keep the GTI" because it's a known quantity that you already have that will do anything you need (plus, I secretly want a Mk5, 6, or 7 GTI....too bad yours isn't white). But really, since you have the 993, going full appliance with the Volt will make a great pair. And if you're going with the Volt, I would suggest the newer one. I'm not familiar with your financial situation, nor have I driven a Volt, but one thing I'm pretty confident about is the newer a car is, the better an appliance it is. So in your situation I'd spend a bit more dough and get the newer appliance.

One thing though: is the Volt satisfying on a daily basis? With the eGolf I never yearned for a sportier daily because, well, the eGolf is actually pretty sporty. Sure, it's on balloon rubber and squishy springs with floaty dampers, but what a great chassis--I had fun at every ramp and turn I encountered. Golfs are just great to drive; I looked forward to driving mine every day. Does a Volt make you want to drive it? If so, then I think it's the clear winner here

Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      I am so jealous of your 12 mile commute
      Yeah, but in Vad's neighborhood that's like a 75 minute drive

I don't even commute at the worst possible time, but my 15 mile commute takes 45-60 minutes

Vehicles
      2036 GooseBee Delux-'17 Blandmobile RS-'92 Miatadon BananaShade,'02 garden shed
      01-11-2020 06:52 PM #91
      Replace GTI with an e-golf, or just keep the GTI
      I’d say get a model 3 but your wallet won’t open that far
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      If someone at GM is reading this, if you give me a Corvette and $28.5m, I'll hand-paint the body of it, I'll breed it with an AIBO, I'll convert it to a boat and drive across SF Bay, I'll drive it through the lobby of Mazda HQ in LA, I'll ship it to China and invade the Forbidden City in it, then I'll drive up to Baikonur in Kazakhstan and have it fired to geosynchronous orbit on a Zenit-3SL rocket.

01-12-2020 01:50 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Not gonna lie... I spend the whole afternoon at work looking at these. Didn't realize they had hit so hard by depreciation.
      If you're looking for a sedan PHEV, Cadillac CT6 PHEVs have come down too. $75k 2 years ago, now $30k. 31 miles of EV range. A fun fact about the CT6 PHEV is that while all other CT6 were built in Michigan, the CT6 PHEV was built in Shanghai and imported to the US. A nice alternative to a Volt if you still want a gas engine!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=259987156

2018 Fiat 500e
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 quattro manual
      2006 Lotus Exige

19. 01-12-2020 09:33 AM #93
      If looking at hybrids why not consider one of the Toyota or Lexus versions?

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      01-12-2020 06:58 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by chopWet View Post
      If looking at hybrids why not consider one of the Toyota or Lexus versions?
      There is no plug in Lexus here yet. RAV4 Prime sounds cool, but the only plug-in Toyota for years has been the relatively boring Plug-In Prius / Prius Prime.

There’s a meaningful difference between something that’s all or mostly electric the first many miles of the day, compared to a hybrid.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      20 years of German cars led to this: 2016 RAV4 hybrid, 2020 Prius Prime
      01-12-2020 08:59 PM #95
      Got out of a nodded MK5 into a 2020 Prius Prime.

No regrets, at all. I really, really like it, and I'm averaging something like 700-800mpg with it since I got it and I only pay 0.06$ per kWh so it costs nearly nothing to run.

The lease payments and fuel/kwh costs on it end up being cheaper than just fuel and maintenance on my paid-off MK5.

It's much slower than a Volt but honestly it's surprisingly nice to drive and toss around (I upgraded to 225/45/17 Firestone Indy 500, stock tires are garbage). I really didn't expect it to enjoy driving it, but I do.

Vehicles
      01-12-2020 09:10 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      There is no plug in Lexus here yet. RAV4 Prime sounds cool, but the only plug-in Toyota for years has been the relatively boring Plug-In Prius / Prius Prime.

There’s a meaningful difference between something that’s all or mostly electric the first many miles of the day, compared to a hybrid.
      This. Neither the Prime or the previous gen Plug-In Prius provide provide the range of the Volt.

As an update, I couldn't make up my mind so I pushed the Carvana offer back one week without affecting the quote. Apparently I can push it up to 3 weeks, so long as I don't go over 1,000 miles from the original quoted mileage.

And now a wildcard entry appears. I've been trying to figure out if I can live with a "boring" car on a daily basis and input from various people in my life who know how my brain functions (including TCL members) has been a resounding "No." So, I tried to figure out what I would really want and what would be a good fit. Turns out, it may be this:

Pros:
      - Tech package (Audi Virtual Cockpit)
      - Magnetic suspension
      - Sport S seats
      - Looks awesome

Cons:
      - 2017 Tech package apparently didn't have the Bang and Olufsen stereo, unlike the 2018
      - Those magnetic shocks are pricey to replace
      - Not CPO, so only the balance of factory warranty remains (will need to get an aftermarket warranty)
      - Don't know if I can live with a DSG
      - Back into a car payment
      - Sold Over Sticker thinks this is too much like a GTI for way more money

I am so confused...
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-12-2020 09:13 PM #97
      Why not a clutch and tune for the Gti?
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

Vehicles
      01-12-2020 09:24 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post
      Thought of that but:

1) Don't want to mod a daily
      2) Kinda want the fancy toys
      3) It's basically this when it comes to a return on that stuff :

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      01-12-2020 09:25 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Bad Rabbit Habit View Post
      Also, bizarrely, the clutch stopped slipping. Ever since I posted this thread, zero slip. WOT in 6th, 5th, nothin'. No evidence of any kind of issue. I can't explain it. It's some sort of Christmas Miracle!
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

26. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      01-12-2020 09:26 PM #100
      The only new reasonably-priced car on the market that really speaks to me is the Mk7/Mk7.5 GTI. It just feels like there's not enough of a difference in the two cars to justify ponying up another $12-13k for a Mk7.5 SE...
      There is a marked difference. Especially when you have one with the Performance Package and DCC. It’s why I upgraded from my Mk6.

Having said that, if you want to go EV, it’s a question of what you need in terms of range (maybe not as much an issue if you have the Volt) and what the cost/benefit is for you.

How much are off-lease Bolts in your area? They are $20k here, which means they should be in mid-high teens now?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast