VWVortex.com - TCL, I need your help. I think I'm going electric but I am somewhat lost.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: Help!

Voters
    84. You may not vote on this poll
    • Gen 1 Volt

22 26.19%
    • Gen 2 Volt

19 22.62%
    • Tesla

6 7.14%
    • Keep the GTI

25 29.76%
    • Go away, VadGTI. Please.

12 14.29%
    Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: TCL, I need your help. I think I'm going electric but I am somewhat lost.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      20 years of German cars led to this: 2016 RAV4 hybrid, 2020 Prius Prime
      01-12-2020 09:39 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      This. Neither the Prime or the previous gen Plug-In Prius provide provide the range of the Volt.

As an update, I couldn't make up my mind so I pushed the Carvana offer back one week without affecting the quote. Apparently I can push it up to 3 weeks, so long as I don't go over 1,000 miles from the original quoted mileage.

And now a wildcard entry appears. I've been trying to figure out if I can live with a "boring" car on a daily basis and input from various people in my life who know how my brain functions (including TCL members) has been a resounding "No." So, I tried to figure out what I would really want and what would be a good fit. Turns out, it may be this:

Pros:
      - Tech package (Audi Virtual Cockpit)
      - Magnetic suspension
      - Sport S seats
      - Looks awesome

Cons:
      - 2017 Tech package apparently didn't have the Bang and Olufsen stereo, unlike the 2018
      - Those magnetic shocks are pricey to replace
      - Not CPO, so only the balance of factory warranty remains (will need to get an aftermarket warranty)
      - Don't know if I can live with a DSG
      - Back into a car payment
      - Sold Over Sticker thinks this is too much like a GTI for way more money

I am so confused...
      Sold over sticker is right.

If you're just going to get another 2.0T VAG product, might as well just replace the clutch on your gti. While you're at it, might as well buy a clutch that can handle a K04.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      20 years of German cars led to this: 2016 RAV4 hybrid, 2020 Prius Prime
      01-12-2020 09:40 PM #102
      Also, bizarrely, the clutch stopped slipping. Ever since I posted this thread, zero slip. WOT in 6th, 5th, nothin'. No evidence of any kind of issue. I can't explain it. It's some sort of Christmas Miracle!
      Is the slip temperature related?

Colder weather = slip, warmer weather = no slip?

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      01-12-2020 09:42 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post

How much are off-lease Bolts in your area? They are $20k here, which means they should be in mid-high teens now?
      High teens, low 20s, I think. But it makes much more sense to lease them, a loaded one can be had all day long for $238/mo with loyalty from the Volt. Still get into the range issue and there's no supercharger to help that with a Bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      Is the slip temperature related?

Colder weather = slip, warmer weather = no slip?
      I was thinking the same but warm (65ish) = no slip, and cold (40ish) = no slip.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      01-12-2020 09:51 PM #104

If you're just going to get another 2.0T VAG product, might as well just replace the clutch on your gti. While you're at it, might as well buy a clutch that can handle a K04.
      I’m with you guys. For used S3 money, why not a Tesla? If you don’t really like DSG vs stick or direct drive electric, it just doesn’t sound like the right fit. Car payment, DSG, not electrified, seems like exactly the opposite of how this thread started.

I do understand wanting to keep the “fun” side satisfied though. If that’s not something like a Tesla or Pana/CT6 PHEVs mentioned upthread, then I’d be looking at fun manual options more in the GTI’s price range, if not keeping it.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      01-12-2020 10:22 PM #105
      High teens, low 20s, I think. But it makes much more sense to lease them, a loaded one can be had all day long for $238/mo with loyalty from the Volt. Still get into the range issue and there's no supercharger to help that with a Bolt.
      A Bolt would almost get you from Hollywood to Barstow and back. Buy one with a the DC fast charge option and you can charge at a rate of 90 miles in 30 minutes. In case you didn't see it in another thread, we just bought this 2019 Bolt LT for under $21k. My son bought his 2019 Bolt Premier for $26k two weeks earlier. Both had under 3000 miles. His was shipped to Redwood City about 10 days ago. That cost him $1100.

Vehicles
      06 4runner
      01-12-2020 11:03 PM #106
      What about a used golf R? I thought about picking up a used S3, but I can’t think of a reason to buy one over the R, unless you don’t want another hatch.

Vehicles
      01-12-2020 11:31 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Hatch View Post
      What about a used golf R? I thought about picking up a used S3, but I can’t think of a reason to buy one over the R, unless you don’t want another hatch.
      Also looking at Golf Rs, but want a '18+ due to the updates. Then again, also seems too similar to the Mk6 and they're about the same price used.

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      A Bolt would almost get you from Hollywood to Barstow and back. Buy one with a the DC fast charge option and you can charge at a rate of 90 miles in 30 minutes. In case you didn't see it in another thread, we just bought this 2019 Bolt LT for under $21k. My son bought his 2019 Bolt Premier for $26k two weeks earlier. Both had under 3000 miles. His was shipped to Redwood City about 10 days ago. That cost him $1100.
      The '19 LT for under $21k seems to have been an excellent price. I just looked and that's about what '17 cars with a decent amount of mileage are going for around here.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

9. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      01-12-2020 11:57 PM #108

I’d liken it to a Golf R with a trunk. But yeah. Hard for me to justify the cash outlay for an S3 unless it’s less than an equivalent Golf R.

I don’t think a longer range BEV makes sense for you without easy, consistent access to L2 charging. Which puts you back at a Volt or Prime. Neither of which I’d personally spend more for than your current car.
      Last edited by Numbersix; 01-12-2020 at 11:59 PM.

01-13-2020 01:56 PM #109

I am so confused...
      This photo needs to be on every page of this thread.

So let's recap...

You like GTI but wants PHEV for commute.

You ended up looking at a S3 because...

So by feeding all the variables into a computer to run some simulation, I think the perfect car for you in a Golf GTE A3 etron. Or a Chrysler Pacifica.

11. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-13-2020 02:19 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      This photo needs to be on every page of this thread.

So let's recap...

You like GTI but wants PHEV for commute.

You ended up looking at a S3 because...

So by feeding all the variables into a computer to run some simulation, I think the perfect car for you in a Golf GTE A3 etron. Or a Chrysler Pacifica.
      What all this means is he just wants a new/different car

12. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-13-2020 03:01 PM #111
      S3 is a bad idea Vad.

Please don't do S3.

Please.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-13-2020 03:07 PM #112
      I mean, the model 3 is a competitor to the s3. You could totally charge the model 3 off of 120 for a short commute, and top it off for heavy driving weeks via superchargers. The amount of energy used by the Tesla and volt for the same miles will be similar, just the 3 has a larger tank, and will allow a different kind of flexibility. And no issue with long trips, with the supercharger network.

I vote stealth performance 3. Even more so if you can still get HOV lane access for it.
      -Jon
      ig:badrabbithabit Formerly known as: monoaural

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Volt, '86 BMW 325E
      01-13-2020 03:54 PM #113
      Practically, I still think a Volt is a great idea. The Bolt range is really good for what it is but you need to plan your charges accordingly for longer drives.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Mitsubishi Mirage DE, VVTI-swapped JZX90 Mark II, JZS149 Crown Majesta, JZS147 Aristo 3.0V
      01-13-2020 04:16 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Yeah, but in Vad's neighborhood that's like a 75 minute drive

I don't even commute at the worst possible time, but my 15 mile commute takes 45-60 minutes
      Oh yeah, excellent point!

Jeez, that's absolutely horrid.

This. Neither the Prime or the previous gen Plug-In Prius provide provide the range of the Volt.

As an update, I couldn't make up my mind so I pushed the Carvana offer back one week without affecting the quote. Apparently I can push it up to 3 weeks, so long as I don't go over 1,000 miles from the original quoted mileage.

And now a wildcard entry appears. I've been trying to figure out if I can live with a "boring" car on a daily basis and input from various people in my life who know how my brain functions (including TCL members) has been a resounding "No." So, I tried to figure out what I would really want and what would be a good fit. Turns out, it may be this:

Pros:
      - Tech package (Audi Virtual Cockpit)
      - Magnetic suspension
      - Sport S seats
      - Looks awesome

Cons:
      - 2017 Tech package apparently didn't have the Bang and Olufsen stereo, unlike the 2018
      - Those magnetic shocks are pricey to replace
      - Not CPO, so only the balance of factory warranty remains (will need to get an aftermarket warranty)
      - Don't know if I can live with a DSG
      - Back into a car payment
      - Sold Over Sticker thinks this is too much like a GTI for way more money

I am so confused...
      Let me just say that this is the first time I've ever seen what Vad looks like.

Vehicles
      01-13-2020 04:50 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post

Let me just say that this is the first time I've ever seen what Vad looks like.

#FREEPATRIKMAN

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      01-13-2020 04:53 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by kickapoo View Post
      Practically, I still think a Volt is a great idea. The Bolt range is really good for what it is but you need to plan your charges accordingly for longer drives.
      I actually like Wimbledon's idea the most. The EV utility of a Volt with the size and style of mid size Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
      If you're looking for a sedan PHEV, Cadillac CT6 PHEVs have come down too. $75k 2 years ago, now $30k. 31 miles of EV range. A fun fact about the CT6 PHEV is that while all other CT6 were built in Michigan, the CT6 PHEV was built in Shanghai and imported to the US. A nice alternative to a Volt if you still want a gas engine!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=259987156
      I would go with this 2018 with just 5200 miles at $34,500 and negotiate it down even more: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Unless he wants to go with Russian mobster black

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      01-13-2020 04:58 PM #117
      - I don't have Level 2 at home and 110v charging for these is unworkable. If the chargers at work are full, I'd have to drive to the nearest Supercharger station, which is about 8 miles away and hang out there for a bit while charging
      Do you not have the ability to install a better charger?

Vehicles
      01-13-2020 05:03 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I actually like Wimbledon's idea the most. The EV utility of a Volt with the size and style of mid size Cadillac.

I would go with this 2018 with just 5200 miles at $34,500 and negotiate it down even more: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Unless he wants to go with Russian mobster black

Very practical but the looks of that thing just don't do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Do you not have the ability to install a better charger?
      Not at this time.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-13-2020 05:50 PM #119
      Seems to me like you want a fun, "new to you" car that's not going to depreciate like a brick.

Pony up and get something you'll enjoy. A new Tesla 3 LR would tick that box, as would a used F80 M3.

Getting anything that's remotely in the same vein as the GTI is not going to cut it. After a coupel of weeks, it's going to feel just like your current GTI, leaving you wanting more. The RS3 would be an exception to that rule.

So do the right thing, spend more than you want (but not more than you can of course), and get a car that's vastly different than your GTI, and will give you something forward to look to on your commute. I'd boil that down to a new Model 3 LR, or a used F80 M3.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      01-13-2020 06:07 PM #120

I am so confused...
      Welcome to Vad's Resting Cry For Help Face.

You seem to want to stay German.

That means either repair the GTI clutch, buy a salvage-title eGolf or lease an Audi e-tron.
      Epstein is alive.

22. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-13-2020 06:12 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Seems to me like you want a fun, "new to you" car that's not going to depreciate like a brick.

Pony up and get something you'll enjoy. A new Tesla 3 LR would tick that box, as would a used F80 M3.

Getting anything that's remotely in the same vein as the GTI is not going to cut it. After a coupel of weeks, it's going to feel just like your current GTI, leaving you wanting more. The RS3 would be an exception to that rule.

So do the right thing, spend more than you want (but not more than you can of course), and get a car that's vastly different than your GTI, and will give you something forward to look to on your commute. I'd boil that down to a new Model 3 LR, or a used F80 M3.
      Vad also owns a 993 911 iirc... He's got different and fun. Not sure what he's really after, but I don't think he quite knows that either.

Vehicles
      BRZ
      01-13-2020 06:27 PM #122
      I'm gonna be the voice of crazy here and say:

Buy the S3!

You know you want it. It's a cliché, but true: life is too short to drive boring cars. Not that the Volt is necessarily boring, but would you rather drive an S3? Yes, you probably would.

I enjoyed my EV quite a bit, which is why I support your EV adventure. But, I can also tell there is a deep down yearning for something a bit special and interesting on the daily drive. If an S3 makes your day better, I say go for it.

01-13-2020 06:35 PM #123
      Whatever you do Vad, please sell the GTI to Carvana. They got venture capital money to waste so they are overpaying for everything. You never gonna get this much money for it, ever. The inner Eastern European in you knows this is the right thing to do.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-13-2020 06:40 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Vad also owns a 993 911 iirc... He's got different and fun. Not sure what he's really after, but I don't think he quite knows that either.
      The 993 is irrelevant here, because he comes across as conflicted between what his heart says, and what would be "pragmatic," and I say the latter as in the opinion of others. A fun daily is key. A weekend fun car is nice, but most of our driving (for many of us here, especial in SoCal) is done during the week. so a fun and satisfying daily is key.

Bite the bullet and get a fun car without going ape **** on the price. I'd personally get a new Model 3 LR, as that ticks the EV box and the fun to drive/fast box, especially for a daily, as it's off the line acceleration is fantastic. Beyond that, I wouldn't bother with an fwd or fwd-biased awd short of the RS3, as they're all going to feel too similar to your GTI. So get something RWD with a limited slip, and good power, and have fun.

Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI
      01-13-2020 07:26 PM #125
      If you're driving on mostly local roads with stoplights, I don't see how the S3 is going to put a bigger smile on your face during your 6mi commute than the GTI.

If you want to go electric, buy a Model 3 and be done with it. Resale value seems to be quite high if you decide to go another direction and no other electric options can cover your long distance requirements. Otherwise keep the GTI and wait for more options to become available for your use pattern.

I voted keep the GTI until you can get L2 charging at home.
      2019 Subaru Ascent | 2016 VW GTI S | 2010 Audi A4 Avant S-Line | PAST: 2006 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Scion xB, 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T, 2003 BMW M3, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast