The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: C8 engineers busted for street racing

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      01-14-2020 10:52 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by elmo3 View Post
      "...the scent of alcohol..."

You know what? Drunk driving will get you fired from any company no matter what your role is.
      This is simply not true. Many people keep their jobs despite picking up a DUI or something of the like. Bus drivers, cops, truckers...
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      12' CTS-V, 03' Mazda Ranger
      01-14-2020 11:12 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post

This is simply not true. Many people keep their jobs despite picking up a DUI or something of the like. Bus drivers, cops, truckers...
      This. We have a welder, 18 years old, get a dui, and he still works here. Missed a few days pay because he was in jail but still has his job.
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead ,99' Acura TL-Sold, 80' Scirocco, DERPKOTA!, 13' WRX
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

4. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-14-2020 12:27 PM #78
      As long as you're not caught drinking and drive while on duty, or using your CDL, there's no reason you'd lose your job, or your license.

You may lose your civilian license, but you keep the CDL.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      2017 GTI, 06 Taco, Rusty plow truck, 1955 MF tractor
      01-14-2020 12:53 PM #79
      this would have been simpler if they were black and the cop could have just shot them.
      My glass is half-full of empty

01-14-2020 02:11 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      There is an opportunity for GM here if they have some kind of HPDE/track day partnerships in place. And if they don't have them they should start ASAP. "Make Nissan Brougham drivers total their cars at closed road courses of your choosing!"
      The factory is across the street from Kentucky's best road coarse (thought that really isn't saying too much)
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      01-14-2020 02:14 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
      this would have been simpler if they were black and the cop could have just shot them.
      Well if they were black they wouldn't have been hired in the first place

...amidoingitright?

Vehicles
      01-14-2020 02:15 PM #82

Mud

Vehicles
      '05 Jetta Wagon TDI, '07 Golf City (Sold to Dad), '16 Golf Sportwagon (Wife's)
      01-14-2020 02:23 PM #83
      Listening to the radio this morning they listed their three charges and none were alcohol related. However, they did mention that the scent of alcohol was noted in the report. If the cop went as far as to note it in the report I'm sure he did a further test and it turned out that it was not at a level worth being a charge. So it's a perception thing more than anything else. Still dumb, though.

10. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-14-2020 02:24 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
      That'll teach 'em.
      Instagram - efrie004

maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      01-21-2020 09:51 AM #85
      Starting to look like they were fired... https://old.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...ers_that_were/

I am kind of surprised actually, but I guess when you put prototype vehicles at risk...
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      01-21-2020 11:18 AM #86
      Starting to look like they were fired... https://old.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...ers_that_were/

I am kind of surprised actually, but I guess when you put prototype vehicles at risk...
      I mean, even if they had one beer, while not intoxicated, they did drink and then drive company property. Same thing for street racing, it was in company property and while that property is a sport car, it's meant to be done in controlled conditions in safe environments.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

13. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-21-2020 11:24 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I mean, even if they had one beer, while not intoxicated, they did drink and then drive company property. Same thing for street racing, it was in company property and while that property is a sport car, it's meant to be done in controlled conditions in safe environments.
      A giant company like that surely has a zero tolerance policy.

14. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-21-2020 11:29 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      A giant company like that surely has a zero tolerance policy.
      I don't believe the problem to be that they had a beer while driving company property.

I find the problem to be that they had a beer, went street racing, got caught, and had an officer jot down "smelled like alcohol" in a police report that got national coverage. That's terrible PR.
      Instagram - efrie004

15. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-21-2020 11:42 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I don't believe the problem to be that they had a beer while driving company property.

I find the problem to be that they had a beer, went street racing, got caught, and had an officer jot down "smelled like alcohol" in a police report that got national coverage. That's terrible PR.
      Could they sue then for wrongful termination? Bad PR isn't grounds for firing someone, is it? I guess nowadays most states have at will policies, but wondering if GM doesnt technically have a policy about that if they would have a case to stand on then? My guess is there has to be some policy that they used to justify the termination.

16. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-21-2020 11:48 AM #90
      Could they sue then for wrongful termination? Bad PR isn't grounds for firing someone, is it? I guess nowadays most states have at will policies, but wondering if GM doesnt technically have a policy about that if they would have a case to stand on then? My guess is there has to be some policy that they used to justify the termination.
      I'm not sure how it is in every state, but in Arkansas you don't need a reason to fire anyone.

"You don't work here anymore" is more than enough.
      Instagram - efrie004

17. 01-21-2020 11:58 AM #91
      Could they sue then for wrongful termination?
      Absent demonstrable reasons related to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the ADAAA, and the ADEA, there is no such thing as "wrongful termination" here. They were employed at-will.

They can leave the employer with zero notice, and the employer can leave them with zero notice.

What "wrongs" do you think GM committed here?

Unless you think they can make the case stick that "you can't fire me, I'm a stupid redneck"...

01-21-2020 12:00 PM #92
      I thought everyone knew that if you're going to get drunk and high at work you need to be a union worker in order to keep your job? The test guys are 99% white collar workers who are not protected by the union.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/chrys...king_n_2272291

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      01-21-2020 12:32 PM #93
      I have friends who are testing engineers. No screwing around in test cars. I've been allowed to drive exactly one test car (aside from press events), and that was with the approval of a senior manager.

These two deserve to be fired for being dumbasses more than anything else.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

20. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-21-2020 12:37 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by elmo3 View Post

What "wrongs" do you think GM committed here?

Unless you think they can make the case stick that "you can't fire me, I'm a stupid redneck"...
      I dont think GM committed any wrongs in firing them. It was in response to them just being fired for "bad pr" when I mentioned they probably have a zero tolerance policy. Just playing devils advocate.

21. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-21-2020 12:39 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      I have friends who are testing engineers. No screwing around in test cars. I've been allowed to drive exactly one test car (aside from press events), and that was with the approval of a senior manager.

These two deserve to be fired for being dumbasses more than anything else.
      Exactly.

If GM gives you a test car and says "live with this car for three months", stopping and having a beer with dinner is not going to get you fired. People keep focusing in on that part, and it's not the problem. The problem is everything that happened.
      Instagram - efrie004

22. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-21-2020 12:41 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Exactly.

If GM gives you a test car and says "live with this car for three months", stopping and having a beer with dinner is not going to get you fired. People keep focusing in on that part, and it's not the problem. The problem is everything that happened.
      That's a good point

23. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      01-21-2020 12:50 PM #97

I'm not sure GM could do anything but fire them--it was allegedly an unsafe, unauthorized, and illegal use of company property, and prototypes at that. Even if they were great employees that GM desperately wanted to keep, it sets a terrible example for other employees and makes the company look out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech
      Could they sue then for wrongful termination? Bad PR isn't grounds for firing someone, is it? I guess nowadays most states have at will policies, but wondering if GM doesn't technically have a policy about that if they would have a case to stand on then? My guess is there has to be some policy that they used to justify the termination.
      I'd be surprised if they didn't have some policy regarding appropriate prototype usage which was violated, that said, I don't think a reasonable person should need a policy to know they shouldn't get arrested for street racing a company prototype. If they got fired for using a ladder slightly improperly or posting a NSFW meme on their Twitter? OK, that ought to need a policy. IANAL though.

Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      Rich guys don't race miatas, whether they are pros or hacks.
      Spec Miata racing is popular, but I can't imagine it's cheap?

24. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      01-21-2020 01:05 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Vehicles
      01-21-2020 01:23 PM #99
      that was impressive

26. 01-21-2020 01:29 PM #100
      I dont think GM committed any wrongs in firing them. It was in response to them just being fired for "bad pr" when I mentioned they probably have a zero tolerance policy. Just playing devils advocate.
      ok, so not a legal wrong.

Remember, "stupid move, that was bad PR" can't be pursued in the courts.

Although, I don't think anyone would disagree with GM firing them. Truth be told, they probably went very quietly.

That all being said, would Ford or FCA do well to hire them? Or IIHS? Or NHTSA? Probably. Don't waste good talent, especially when it comes to you already humbled by grand mistakes made elsewhere.

Maybe Gawkmodo Media will hire them to be in-your-face "look at us, we're bad boys" "journalists" (is that what they're still trying to call their bloggers?). But then again, frankly, anything would be better than that kid who looks like a 14 year old fresh out of his parents' basement...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast