VWVortex.com - DCC - How comfy is Comfort?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DCC - How comfy is Comfort?

1. 01-14-2020 01:14 AM #1
      All,
      I've been itching to upgrade my 2016 regular Golf to a GTI with DCC. One of the things I love about the Golf is the relatively quiet cabin and the soft yet compliant ride, both in the City and on the highways. The 195/65/R15 snow tires makes the ride even smoother in the winter months.

Just curious if anyone has driven both the GTI in comfort mode and can tell me how it stacks up against a regular Golf. I know the soundaktor can be disabled so I'm not too concerned about the noise. Switching to quiet all season tires is also part of the plan.

If anyone is curious why the GTI not the Passat then? I really love the clark cloth interior along with the urano grey colour. I might be able to take a small compromise on ride quality if its not too harsh and loud.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 GTI Autobahn
      01-14-2020 04:13 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by dckk View Post
      All,
      I've been itching to upgrade my 2016 regular Golf to a GTI with DCC. One of the things I love about the Golf is the relatively quiet cabin and the soft yet compliant ride, both in the City and on the highways. The 195/65/R15 snow tires makes the ride even smoother in the winter months.

Just curious if anyone has driven both the GTI in comfort mode and can tell me how it stacks up against a regular Golf. I know the soundaktor can be disabled so I'm not too concerned about the noise. Switching to quiet all season tires is also part of the plan.

If anyone is curious why the GTI not the Passat then? I really love the clark cloth interior along with the urano grey colour. I might be able to take a small compromise on ride quality if its not too harsh and loud.

Thanks in advance!
      I went the other way, 2017 Golf R to left over 2018 Golf GTI Autobahn in 2019.

The R with DCC was firm in any setting, especially on the 19" wheels that I replaced with dedicated 17" summer and winter wheels/tires after a pot hole ruined 2 of the 4 wheels, neither of which were covered by the "wheel insurance" since they still held air even though they could no longer be balanced due to their egg shape. With the 17's in comfort mode the R was OK on the roads, but felt floaty during cornering at highway speeds.

The GTI came with 18" all seasons and after 10 months I've had no issue, other than a bit of lack of traction since all seasons are a compromise between cold/wet/hot grip. The ride quality in comfort mode on those all seasons has been great, with the only compromise being during hard corning it will transition quicker to the bump stops, but it all still feels predictable and under control. About 99% of the time I've got DCC in comfort mode and it's great. It sucks up most of the terrible roads we have here (although actual pot holes are still jaring) while not feeling as floaty as the R did in comfort mode. If you customize the driving mode you can keep the exhaust/soundaktor quiet too, which is also how I run. The GTI exhaust is a bit louder than the R IMO since it doesn't have the exhaust flap actuators, but it's far from noisy or droning.

I haven't driven a regular MK7 Golf, but I think VW did a great job striking a balance of comfort and performance on the GTI. With the DSG gear box and adaptive cruise control it's by far my favorite daily driven car after 20 years of driving, especially when I have to commute 1h15m+ in slow to stop and go traffic. When things are clearl on the highway it has plenty of passing power in sport mode, while bombing down back roads is a blast with the limited slip diff and XDS+ torque vectoring.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI - Shadow Blue Metallic
      01-14-2020 07:13 AM #3
      All,

Thanks in advance!
      Comfort mode is really quite good at isolating the cracks and potholes of Minnesota roads in the Winter. It is what convinced me I could live with a GTi again. The car is quieter and slightly smoother than my 2017 Volvo V60 was.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE, 2007 PASSAT VARIANT 2.0T
      01-14-2020 01:16 PM #4
      All,

Thanks in advance!
      Please correct me if I am in err. It sounds like your thinking about a 'Rabbit' edition, Urano Gray with plaid. I don't believe that can be had with DCC. It isn't an option on the lesser equipped GTI. I think that you might have to go Autobahn, and that would lose the Clark plaid/Urano Gray.

Sorry about that.
      | 2016 GTI SE | 2007 B6 PASSAT 2.0T WAGON | 2001 BMW E46 325I SPORT(SOLD) | 1997 BMW DINAN E36 M3(STILL MISSED) |
      SCOTTSDALE AUTO GLASS GETS THE JOB DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
      WWW.Scottsdaleautoglass.COM

7. 01-14-2020 01:36 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by B6TURBOWAGON View Post
      All,

Thanks in advance!
      Please correct me if I am in err. It sounds like your thinking about a 'Rabbit' edition, Urano Gray with plaid. I don't believe that can be had with DCC. It isn't an option on the lesser equipped GTI. I think that you might have to go Autobahn, and that would lose the Clark plaid/Urano Gray.

Sorry about that.
      Should have specified i'm in canada, so that combo is available. Thanks!

Vehicles
      2019 MK7.5 Golf GTI Autobahn
      01-14-2020 03:01 PM #6
      Should have specified i'm in canada, so that combo is available. Thanks!
      The 2019 Rabbit GTI in Canada is sold out. You're not going to find one new.

9. 01-14-2020 08:52 PM #7
      I have an '18 Autobahn with DCC/18" wheels and the differences are subtle. I usually drive in "normal" but have also spent a lot of time in "comfort". I can tell the difference but it's not that dramatic. Inflating the tires to a higher psi almost makes as much difference between "normal" and "comfort" in my opinion.

10. 01-14-2020 09:44 PM #8
      Honestly in my GTI (2018 Autobahn) the only difference I can tell in any of the modes is that sport mode has a slightly more audible engine growl.
      I cant tell any difference in the suspension between ECO, comfort or sport. I haven't played around with custom yet though. Maybe I can tweek the settings but since the standard modes don't make any difference I kind of forget about it.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 GTI Autobahn
      01-19-2020 05:56 PM #9
      I do notice differences between comfort/normal/sport but they are not "night and day" differences.

Comfort is good for freeway cruising, but honestly I prefer "normal" zipping around town as comfort can seem a little loose/bouncy.

12. 01-19-2020 06:44 PM #10
      To add to what others are saying, I test drove an SE with DCC to see if I wanted to buy up. I could sense a very subtle difference in comfort mode, but I’d tend to agree that tire pressure or the tires themselves would make a bigger difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '17 GTI AutoBahn, '15 Golf Launch Edition, '12 Tiguan S
      01-19-2020 08:27 PM #11
      I just bought a new to me '17 GTI AutoBahn, and my son has a 2015 Golf. I can tell the difference when driving in comfort mode instead o normal or sport, but it's very slight. His Golf with with the 195/65/15's had a much smoother ride than my GTI in comfort mode, but his tires were worn when we bought it and it was quite loud at highway speeds. We've since swapped to a 17" wheel with 225/45/17's and it drives a lot like my GTI with the 225/40/18's, maybe just a little smoother over the bumps. I'm probably not a good judge though, as I bought my GTI with just over 33K miles and the original Hankooks still on it. They are terribly loud and I can't for the life of me get them balanced, so neither ride comfort or cabin noise levels at highway speed are very good. I'm about to swap to some 17" wheels and new all season tires in hopes that that helps, as it sounds like not many folks here have these issues. Definitely unplug the "Soundaktor", as the droning is awful. The exhaust hum of the GTI is still noticeably louder than the Golf, even with the artificial noisemaker eliminated, so if a quiet cabin is what you're after, the GTI might disappoint in that category. I find myself wishing I could trade exhaust with my son, but keep the rest of the GTI.

14. 01-19-2020 10:40 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by TSmith2434 View Post
      I just bought a new to me '17 GTI AutoBahn, and my son has a 2015 Golf. I can tell the difference when driving in comfort mode instead o normal or sport, but it's very slight. His Golf with with the 195/65/15's had a much smoother ride than my GTI in comfort mode, but his tires were worn when we bought it and it was quite loud at highway speeds. We've since swapped to a 17" wheel with 225/45/17's and it drives a lot like my GTI with the 225/40/18's, maybe just a little smoother over the bumps. I'm probably not a good judge though, as I bought my GTI with just over 33K miles and the original Hankooks still on it. They are terribly loud and I can't for the life of me get them balanced, so neither ride comfort or cabin noise levels at highway speed are very good. I'm about to swap to some 17" wheels and new all season tires in hopes that that helps, as it sounds like not many folks here have these issues. Definitely unplug the "Soundaktor", as the droning is awful. The exhaust hum of the GTI is still noticeably louder than the Golf, even with the artificial noisemaker eliminated, so if a quiet cabin is what you're after, the GTI might disappoint in that category. I find myself wishing I could trade exhaust with my son, but keep the rest of the GTI.
      I had my dealer unplug the soundaktor during the first service of my prior GTI

Vehicles
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      01-21-2020 09:26 AM #13
      It is hard to describe, because as others have said, it's a subtle difference. That said, while subtle....it is definitely noticeable if you live in an area with crappy roads like the Great Lakes.

To answer the immediate question of: would I buy DCC again? The answer is an unequivocal YES.

16. 01-21-2020 07:11 PM #14
      I'm in LA and the roads do suck around here. Got my car last week and did a slow drive through my neighborhood in both Sport and Comfort and the difference was very noticeable.

I'm also coming from a Mk6 and, to me, Sport mode seems very similar to the stock Mk6 suspension. You can definitely feel the road and its imperfections. In comfort, you still feel the road but maybe half as much. I'm loving the DCC so far I'm finding each mode is perfect for my driving mood and really does give change enough to be noticed.

17. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '17 GTI AutoBahn, '15 Golf Launch Edition, '12 Tiguan S
      01-21-2020 08:56 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by sapgar View Post
      I had my dealer unplug the soundaktor during the first service of my prior GTI

I unplugged it myself, and had the bruise on the back of my hand for a week to prove it....