The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Urus accounted for over half of Lambo's 2019 sales

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      01-14-2020 02:43 PM #1
      https://motorillustrated.com/lamborg...in-2019/41735/

Sales of the famed Italian automaker reach 8,205 units last year compared to 5,750 in 2018. Of all the Lamborghinis sold last year, 4,962 were Urus SUVs. 2019 marked the first full year of sales for the Urus which launched in 2018 with 1,761 units sold that year.

In other words, the Urus accounted for 60.4% of all Lamborghini sales in 2019 and was 788 units shy of equaling total Lamborghini sales in 2018.
      Maybe there's hope for the DBX after all.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      01-14-2020 02:48 PM #2
      Hardly surprising. Obviously demand for high end SUVs outstrips that of sports cars.

Interesting that per capital sales were higher in Canada than in the U.S.

The U.S. was still the major market for Lamborghini with 2,374 units sold. China and Hong Kong (770), the United Kingdom (658), Japan (641), Germany (562), the Middle East (387), Canada (376), and Italy (370) round out Lambo’s other important markets.

Vehicles
      2017 A5
      01-14-2020 02:50 PM #3
      urusus
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      01-14-2020 02:57 PM #4
      Not surprised at all. We got 20 of these delivered to our dealer in a month and most were orders/already spoken for, we've been doing deliveries on them left and right (well, compared to other Lamborghini models).

Thankfully Lamborghini seems to be stepping up their dealer/aftersales support lately, it used to take about 2 weeks to get special order parts from Italy, lately they've been arriving in 3 business days or less. Parts catalog still needs some work tho
      Last edited by Shmi; 01-14-2020 at 03:09 PM.

6. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-14-2020 03:11 PM #5
      I believe it. I seem them quite often. Rich husbands love buying them for their wife's to drop their kids off at private school.

edit before I get in trouble
      Wait, maybe rich bread winning wifes like buying them for themselves

#metoo

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      01-14-2020 03:14 PM #6
      Such a F-You money car. Can't stand the way it looks, but if I needed the space but wanted a Lambo and had more money than I knew what to do with...why the hell not? I'd take an RSQ8 over it any day though.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Vehicles
      RS3, SQ5, Miata, SLK, & Allroad
      01-14-2020 03:15 PM #7
      Fast SUVs are dumb

9. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-14-2020 03:16 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      Such a F-You money car. Can't stand the way it looks, but if I needed the space but wanted a Lambo and had more money than I knew what to do with...why the hell not? I'd take an RSQ8 over it any day though.
      This. Similar performance and looks 10x better (imo)

Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Fast SUVs are dumb

Sedans and manuals need to die

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      01-14-2020 03:16 PM #9
      I started to like them once I saw them in person. I like it in white. But agreed on the RSQ8

11. 01-14-2020 03:17 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Hardly surprising. Obviously demand for high end SUVs outstrips that of sports cars.

Interesting that per capital sales were higher in Canada than in the U.S.
      Actually, Canadians love their high end cars. Canada is one of the top BMW M countries per capita as well. I suspect it's the same with AMG, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      01-14-2020 03:20 PM #11
      Shouldn't surprise anyone. Fun fact, I've seen one aventador on the roads around here, and maaybe 3 huracans? Like 4 combined lamborghini sightings and I work 5 miles from a lambo dealer.

... I think I've seen half a dozen Urii.

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      01-14-2020 03:22 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      I started to like them once I saw them in person. I like it in white. But agreed on the RSQ8
      White is about the only color I've seen it in that I thought, "ok, maybe its not that bad looking." I've seen more than I expected to if I'm honest. Lots of different colors, it may be the only lambo that looks better in more run of the mill colors as opposed to bright greens, oranges, and yellows. It may just be due to the shear size of the thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      01-14-2020 03:22 PM #13
      These are strange times we live in.

Vehicles
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      01-14-2020 03:33 PM #14
      I wonder how many of those were deliverd to Mexico, i work across from the Lamgo dealer, and i see at least 3 of them delivered per month... and that's the days i actually go out onto the street since i rarely go.

It is glorious to see them or all the other lambos that drive around or have parked.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf GTI Sport
      01-14-2020 03:37 PM #15
      Though some probably hate the idea of a Lamborghini SUV, it's hard to deny how much the Urus (or any SUV from Porsche, Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari, etc.) helps the bottom line. If these things make the brand more viable, bring it on.

There's a dude rolling around Knoxville in a brand new silver one with bright green brake calipers, and I really dig it.
      Last edited by J.Yossarian; 01-14-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      01-14-2020 03:43 PM #16
      Not terribly surprised. While Lambos have historically had pretty good performance chops, most buyers seem to be more about the outrageous looks and sounds than anything else. They seem to attract the conspicuous consumption crowd more than petrolheads.

The conspicuous consumption crowd would rather be in a more comfortable and practical form of transportation than a low slung mid-engined two seater without enough room for a shopping trip. Doesn't really matter that the Urus is hideous- it still looks outrageous and announces you spent a ton of money.

18. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      01-14-2020 03:50 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      Actually, Canadians love their high end cars. Canada is one of the top BMW M countries per capita as well. I suspect it's the same with AMG, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
      Yeah I knew about the M cars.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      01-14-2020 03:53 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      The same with the Golf R.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Data-(2018-19)

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      01-14-2020 03:54 PM #19
      I've seen two of these in the wild already. A grey one and a red one. They're pretty sweet.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Viper, Prior: 2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata, 2006 Corvette, 2008 Ninja 650, 1999 Lexus GS400
      01-14-2020 04:23 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by J.Yossarian View Post
      Though some probably hate the idea of a Lamborghini SUV, it's hard to deny how much the Urus (or any SUV from Porsche, Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari, etc.) helps the bottom line. If these things make the brand more viable, bring it on.
      The downside is that these companies are whoring out their brand equity for short-term sales. You can put a high-end badge on a downmarket, boring platform and it will sell, but what are the long-term consequences?

Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Not terribly surprised. While Lambos have historically had pretty good performance chops, most buyers seem to be more about the outrageous looks and sounds than anything else. They seem to attract the conspicuous consumption crowd more than petrolheads.

The conspicuous consumption crowd would rather be in a more comfortable and practical form of transportation than a low slung mid-engined two seater without enough room for a shopping trip. Doesn't really matter that the Urus is hideous- it still looks outrageous and announces you spent a ton of money.
      I don't think it looks that outrageous at all. The most outrageous thing about it is the Lamborghini badge. You see them (and all other Lambos) a ton in LA and a few times I've been sitting in a car with a girl with one of these in front of us and said "check out that SUV, it's a Lamborghini" and the reaction is always "THAT is a Lambo?!?" it doesn't look any more outrageous than an X6 or whatever other boring SUVs are out there
      "Plenty of poseurs drive all sorts of sports cars, but poseurs won’t survive the Viper"-Car and Driver

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      01-14-2020 04:50 PM #21
      Just wish they put a V10TT in it. That V8 is based off the old V10TT. Needs a ridiculous exhaust note to go with the looks and some separation to go with the price tag. But if it keeps the V12 alive I'll allow it.

23. 01-14-2020 04:56 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      I had no idea that the Golf R sold almost as well as the GTI in Canada. No idea. Wow.

24. 01-14-2020 04:57 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Just wish they put a V10TT in it. That V8 is based off the old V10TT. Needs a ridiculous exhaust note to go with the looks and some separation to go with the price tag. But if it keeps the V12 alive I'll allow it.
      Needs a hybrid V12 and crazier styling.

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      01-14-2020 05:03 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      The downside is that these companies are whoring out their brand equity for short-term sales. You can put a high-end badge on a downmarket, boring platform and it will sell, but what are the long-term consequences?
      Possibly nothing at all, especially when other high end brands get in on the game and put a SUV as the 'entry level' model. Can't see a affluent middle eastern oil kid or basketball star wife scoffing at a future Lambo because of the popular SUV. If anything positioning these 'popular' crossovers as the 'base' help insulate the higher sports/ultra lux models by making them seem more rare by comparison.
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 01-14-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      01-14-2020 05:09 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post

Ask Porsche about the long term consequences of selling the Cayenne... How "short term" are the sales of that vehicle? And has it changed the brand equity of a GT3RS?

The fact is, there are no negative effects and they keep the brands viable to make the fun stuff we enthusiasts love.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast