VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Recomendations for United Motorsports tune, should I run ungraded exhaust or keep stock one?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ducatipaso 
#1 ·
Just looking for opinions about the united motorsports 91 california tune, currently my car is a 2003 VW Jetta GLI 24V VR6, the mods it has are a dry flow high flow drop in intake for the stock intake and it has a techtonics tuning 2.5" downpipe and test pipe UM was really cool they took care of me part of the tune at no extra cost, those guys are really cool and I would highly recommend them. The question I have is, i'm still running the stock catback, and ironically its still sounds stock quite even though its straight piped, being that from anyone's experience with this tune would it be suggested to upgrade the exhaust to get the full benefits of the tune and should that help the car run properly since I believe the tune was made for an intake/exhaust setup?

#2 ·
IMHO, I would take out the test pipe put in a TT high flow cat and cat back with the Borla muffler from TT. Sounds great and is plenty loud. Mine can be heard from 3.5 miles away.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply, thanks for the suggestion, I definitely like techtonics tuning I didn't know they have their own cat back system with a borla muffler I definitely want to get this for my jetta hopefully free up the stock muffler on my car which seems to have an issue possibly one of the chambers in the muffler broke inside and is plugging up my muffler causing the car to run crummy.

#4 ·
I have the UM tune and am running stock back to the muffler, with a magnaflow out the back. It works great. According to TST, this is a "cam friendly" tune, and it adapts to everything from stock all the way up to intake/exhaust/cams. I have had the tune a few months now and love the driveability improvements. Worth every penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.