VWVortex.com - A/C Recharge Every 2.5 Years?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: A/C Recharge Every 2.5 Years?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI - Base Model - 100% Stock
      01-20-2020 03:09 PM #1
      When I bought my 2013 GTI in late 2015 the A/C wasn't working. I had it recharged a year later in late 2016. It worked fine in the summer of 2017 and 2018.

By the summer of 2019 it wasn't working again, only about 2.5 years after it was recharged. I had it recharged again last week and the system checked for leaks, but none were found.

Is a recharge every 2.5 years normal for a MK6 GTI?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, 2018 Passat SE
      01-21-2020 09:06 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Fyodor Dostoevsky View Post
      When I bought my 2013 GTI in late 2015 the A/C wasn't working. I had it recharged a year later in late 2016. It worked fine in the summer of 2017 and 2018.

By the summer of 2019 it wasn't working again, only about 2.5 years after it was recharged. I had it recharged again last week and the system checked for leaks, but none were found.

Is a recharge every 2.5 years normal for a MK6 GTI?
      No, I've never recharged my A/C im my GTI. You have a leak somewhere.
      It go down in the DM

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      01-21-2020 03:27 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      No, I've never recharged my A/C im my GTI. You have a leak somewhere.
      That's what I figure too.

However, the "service advisors" at the dealers all tell me it's normal to recharge every couple of years. My previous car was a Civic Si. I owned it for 9 years and I recharged the A/C once. It was totaled in a flood in 2007, and as far as I recall the A/C was still working fine at that point.

Sometimes I think that VW has designed a leak into the system just slow enough that it isn't noticeable until after the four year warranty has expired, and the dealerships are in on the game of course because they get more service revenue. Then they don't fix it so that you have to keep coming back for another recharge. After diesel gate I wouldn't put it past VW to do something like this.

I've had it recharged twice now and the leak still hasn't been discovered. It's very irritating.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      MK7 Golf Sportwagen, MK6 GLI
      01-22-2020 04:05 AM #4
      Leak checks can be nearly impossible to detect with a 2.5 year leak. If the shop put UV dye in the AC oil, then it might show up when it leaks out again. Sometimes ac leaks are very difficult to find.
      Tuned mk6 2.0t CBFA 6 speed ECU for sale. Launch control set @ 3800 & 8psi, immobilizer delete, cat delete, air pump delete. $300 shipped.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      01-22-2020 01:16 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by jiffyjetta View Post
      Leak checks can be nearly impossible to detect with a 2.5 year leak. If the shop put UV dye in the AC oil, then it might show up when it leaks out again. Sometimes ac leaks are very difficult to find.
      Actually, they put UV dye in the system during the recharge in 2016.

Before the second recharge last week they checked for leaks with a UV lamp, but didn't find any. However, it had been 3.5 years since the previous recharge, and they also said the system had very little freon left in it. So perhaps any UV dye that leaked out with the freon had somehow disappeared.

They put UV dye in with the freon again and I am supposed to come back after 1000 km to have it inspected again for leaks. I'm thinking I should wait until summer then keep the A/C blasting every time I drive it. The compressor will be pressurizing the system, so hopefully more freon will be leaking out and then the leak can be detected.

8. 02-10-2020 08:06 PM #6
      my experience the compressor shaft seal and the high/low port valves are the usual culprits in most cars. some brands have sh*tty evaps and they can leak too.
      using a sniffer on the compressor and evap is not easy, especially on slow leaks.

once i got so frustrated on a geo metro i took the whole system out of the car and submerged in a water bath. waiting about an hour I finally saw a little bubble forming at the compressor seal.

from what I've heard, acceptable max loss is around 1/2 pound per year, though some sources say as low as 1/4oz per year.
      Last edited by mk1vw; 02-10-2020 at 08:08 PM.

9. 02-14-2020 02:20 PM #7
      2.5 years, with a leak that small id prefer to just keep recharging than to repair. As it progressively gets worse, it will be easier for the tech to find the leak
      Past vehicles:
      84 Scirocco 8V - Magnacharger supercharger kit from Autotech - 88-93
      87 Scirocco 16V 2.0L swap, custom fabricated Magnacharger supercharged - 93-99
      91 GTI 2.0L 16V - custom T3 turbo kit - 99-03