VWVortex.com - Coronavirus: US Declares Public Health Emergency
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 702 of 759 FirstFirst ... 202602652692698699700701702703704705706712752 ... LastLast
    Results 17,526 to 17,550 of 18951

Thread: Coronavirus: US Declares Public Health Emergency

09-23-2020 11:16 AM #17526
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      I don't know that Florida is doing a lot of contact tracing, are they? Or are they playing the DeSantis game of not wanting to know because the numbers may look bad? I looked up Brevard County on the covidactnow.org website, and they have no listing or tracers in the county. There may or may not be any, and if they have any, it looks like it's not being reported anywhere.
      Contact tracing would interfere with our FREEDUMBS to get sick and die.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      09-23-2020 11:21 AM #17527
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      My son could have gone to college for free for soccer, albeit places nobody here ever heard of. I'd rather pay $25k/yr for him to go to a real place.
      And there it is folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Personally, I feel everyone's taxes need to be raised. Even if you cut our way to a neutral deficit, we still have that looming debt. Or is the new strategy just ignore the debt and the interest it generates?
      It'd also be nice if all the companies making billions of dollars in profit would share most of that with employees rather than shareholders. Some CEO green-lights the strategy to "streamline processes" and "right-size project teams" that strips a company of culture, customer service, and ultimately market strength and value, leading the further elimination of jobs. And they're the ones who get millions in compensation and tens of millions for an exit package?
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

Vehicles
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      09-23-2020 11:28 AM #17528
      Personally, I feel everyone's taxes need to be raised. Even if you cut our way to a neutral deficit, we still have that looming debt. Or is the new strategy just ignore the debt and the interest it generates?
      we are due for a few more higher tax brackets... not exactly a fan of paying more taxes for pork and debt under Biden but what ya gonna do. Just means less money being spent locally or whatever. Capital gains will suck as well and i'm trying to find out if this will impact futures trading on the 60/40 split rate.

https://taxfoundation.org/summary-of...a-2020-update/

Vehicles
      North American German crap and German German crap
      09-23-2020 11:31 AM #17529
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      And there it is folks.
      As hypocritical as some of his post is, given his predisposition to follow the word of that fraud Dabo, he's actually correct on what you bolded.

Happened to me, as well. I could have had a free ride playing golf as such 'prestigious' schools such as Campbell or Coastal Carolina . My family didn't have money to pay for my college, it would have been the good short-term move. Instead, I bet on myself and took out a **** load of loans to get a degree from a real university. It worked out well.
      SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

09-23-2020 11:33 AM #17530
      Apparently he makes $1M/year. Don't know what he is doing wasting his time on this forum.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

7. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      09-23-2020 11:41 AM #17531
      And there it is folks.
      And why is this an issue? I don't like paying the bill but the return on investment makes for a strong argument.

BioChem Engineering at Clemson vs some Biology degree from Lander University. One has top faculty and staff and a 100% job/grad school placement rate. The other...no idea how people see that diploma.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      09-23-2020 11:44 AM #17532
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat View Post
      As hypocritical as some of his post is, given his predisposition to follow the word of that fraud Dabo, he's actually correct on what you bolded.

Happened to me, as well. I could have had a free ride playing golf as such 'prestigious' schools such as Campbell or Coastal Carolina . My family didn't have money to pay for my college, it would have been the good short-term move. Instead, I bet on myself and took out a **** load of loans to get a degree from a real university. It worked out well.

What's Dabo and football got to do with the academics of a kid who doesn't play football?
      And if he's graduating with zero debt, what business is it of yours? His chances of going to his grad school destination are 10X greater with this path than the "play soccer for a small school" path.

He got into UNC, VT and UGA too, but $25k is better than the $47-49k those 3 places wanted.

Should I be waiting on Bernie to make this free for me? Are we comparing Clemson academics to Lander, Coker, etc? It's night and day.
      Last edited by tbvvw; 09-23-2020 at 11:50 AM.

Vehicles
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      09-23-2020 11:44 AM #17533

i hear Dustin Johnson is doing just ok.

Vehicles
      09-23-2020 11:45 AM #17534
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i hear Dustin Johnson is doing just ok.
      Yeah, except Dustin has a *much* stronger nose than me.

...actually would have been there at the same time as him had I chosen that school

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Vehicles
      09-23-2020 11:52 AM #17535
      And if he's graduating with zero debt, what business is it of yours?
      That was not the point of my post, at all. I was agreeing with the overall theme of what you said - going cheap on education isn't the good move.

I bought up the Dabo thing because you talk about him virtually every second you can.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

12. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      09-23-2020 11:54 AM #17536
      That was not the point of my post, at all. I was agreeing with the overall theme of your post - going cheap on education isn't the good move.

I bought up the Dabo thing because you talk about him virtually every second you can.
      The last time I brought him up was talking about Clemson in a college football thread from the last season. Show me where I brought his name up since the Clemson/LSU game?

And re: going cheap, still waiting on G&C to respond? I'd be curious to know why he thinks this is a bad move.

There's kids from our HS that go for free to places like North Greenville U for LAX. They last about 2-3 semesters before they xfer to USC because they thought free would take their mind off being at a place smaller than their HS, Baptist, and off the grid. They were wrong.
      Last edited by tbvvw; 09-23-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      09-23-2020 12:04 PM #17537
      Yeah, our local off the grid school, Grand Valley State, is now home to like 950 cases.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      09-23-2020 12:11 PM #17538

And re: going cheap, still waiting on G&C to respond? I'd be curious to know why he thinks this is a bad move.
      IMO, UNC would have opened more doors. The SAT composite is 85 points higher.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      09-23-2020 12:17 PM #17539
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Sure, it then also exposes him to ~$100K in school debt. I pay up to $25k, they borrow for the rest.
      You also need to rank majors/degrees by school, after ranking the schools themselves.

16. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-23-2020 12:34 PM #17540

And why is this an issue? I don't like paying the bill but the return on investment makes for a strong argument.

BioChem Engineering at Clemson vs some Biology degree from Lander University. One has top faculty and staff and a 100% job/grad school placement rate. The other...no idea how people see that diploma.
      Not everyone has that opportunity, nor the means to do so. And that's really a large chunk of college kids. Granted, crappy schools could be a product of "all kids need to go to college" mindset and fill the void. I know a guy who has a UW degree in History and he's on the board of multiple companies as a VC investor. And I've worked with MBA grads (one in particular) that I found incredulous they were able to tie their shoes. And a former collegiate skier from Norway who retired CEO of an engineering firm and lives in a ski town. Of those three, guess which one went to a "prestigious" university. Obviously this is anecdotal.

The point is you don't know someone's history by looking at their choice of college. I think it's pretty flippant to dismiss a smaller school in favor of a name-brand school. If it's your kid, fine, your choice. But most parents are happy their kid gets to go to a college. The quality of the institution doesn't translate to the quality of the graduate.

Back before information was at our fingertips, it was difficult to figure out the college future for kids in families who have never had anyone in the family go to college. I learned how to apply for colleges because it was a project my junior year in high school in my English class. Some of my classmates who had parents with degrees had been planning for years. My parent's plan? "Oh, you need to take the SATs this summer? Here's a Kaplan test book." It's not like "Why didn't you attend a 'How to Choose A College' workshop?" or anything like that. If those existed, we didn't know they did, and if they did exist, my parents probably wouldn't know where to look.

Nearly all of my friends from high school ended up getting a degree from a higher institution - from "lowly" state schools (schools with a direction in the title) to the prestigious like Stanford, Harvey Mudd and Santa Clarita. A friend who hated school with a passion, and was pretty smart, went back and got a Masters. He's a border patrol agent.

My mother thinks, to this day, that I had a full ride to a small college in NC because of the amount of recruiting material I received. She didn't read any of the material. My nephew (non-football one) went down to Oregon State for a look-see for their engineering program. $40k/year out of state. Became a pilot at Moses Lake CC instead. Now works for a pot grower.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      09-23-2020 12:38 PM #17541
      The choice of major matters, my son is looking at a pretty generic Education degree, with a focus on Outdoor Ed. He finally realized he didn't need a fancy $60k/year private school for that, even if they might recruit him for lacrosse.

My wife (who is in college admissions communication) finally broke through with him by using a Cost Calculator that would let him compare schools, inputting all the numbers fo what he gets, needs, borrows, etc. When he realized he could get his Ed degree from, say Castelton, and graduate debt-free, vs $80k in debt from Wheaton, he started changing the schools he was looking at.

There are lots of degrees where your alma mater matters a lot, but not all of them.

Anyway, back to COVID...

The local pubic schools are doing ZERO testing for students, athletes or staff. You get a temp check and a quick questionnaire every morning entering school. ANY symptoms and you get sent/stay home, but it's on you to try to get tested if you think you are really sick. That's not too hard around me but I have multiple small hospitals here to access.

18. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-23-2020 12:42 PM #17542
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      The local pubic schools are doing ZERO testing for students, athletes or staff. You get a temp check and a quick questionnaire every morning entering school. ANY symptoms and you get sent/stay home, but it's on you to try to get tested if you think you are really sick. That's not too hard around me but I have multiple small hospitals here to access.
      I'm fine. Totally fine. Just allergies.

09-23-2020 12:45 PM #17543
      Let me dissect this a bit, in reverse order.

1) Right now yes, the global strategy is ignore the debt, slowly monetize it, and hope it doesn't catch up to you. So far it is working because there is low inflation and f/x stability. I largely credit this to the fact that the whole world is doing the same thing and therefor there isn't any thing to break the flows. At some point this changes and that is when the **** royally hits the fan. Just a point of how bad this would be. We have nearly $27T in debt. The average carry cost right now is a bit under 250bps. Historical average is a bit over 500bps. A simple reversion to the average would be an *increase in annual deficits of $675* give or take. Or a second department of defense for some comparison.

2) Feeding off #1. Even in best cases (current carry cost, pre-covid times) we are running $1T deficits. Forget Trump. Forget Obama. Forget whoever wins this year. The deficits are largely out of the control of these guys, if for no other reason than Congress is the spender/taxer. Second, the primary driver of these increases in deficits is the cost of medicare/ss/medicaid/debt carry cost, more than anything else. Let's pretend you could actually pass a tax bill the cover this deficit. It would be *enormous*. You would have to raise all revenue sources by ~a third to cover the gap. Sorry, but that's an overnight recession that is brutal, then you get into the arguments about the Laffer curve and whether the recession reduces revenue by so much that it is actually counterproductive.

3) Lastly raising taxes. As #2, it would be huge. My primary issue here is that you see people on the left saying "tax the rich/corporations". There isn't enough money there to cover this, as illustrated in #2. Second, it ignores the fact that the rich/corporations tax burden in the US is largely in line with other developed nations. Third, this leads to the problem that if you suddenly increase a rich persons taxes dramatically (ie, + 20%) then you run a huge risk of them leaving with their capital, and again you end up in a tough situation, ala Sweden/France.

It's just real hard frankly. I think the honest to god solution is a mix of a lot of things. Taxes need to go up, entitlements and federal spending need to go down. The tax code needs to get a whole lot flatter and more transparent.

And there it is folks.

It'd also be nice if all the companies making billions of dollars in profit would share most of that with employees rather than shareholders. Some CEO green-lights the strategy to "streamline processes" and "right-size project teams" that strips a company of culture, customer service, and ultimately market strength and value, leading the further elimination of jobs. And they're the ones who get millions in compensation and tens of millions for an exit package?
      I am not sure what the "there it is" is referring to? Can you elaborate? Not trying to trap, just unclear.

As to companies, employees get paid what it takes to attract the necessary talent for a job. I have never been a believer in the idea that you just increase pay because profitability is up that's not the point. I obviously live on the opposite side of this argument with my background. However employees are not equity holders, you don't get the upside of equity without the downside. If you want to negotiate a % of profits in place of a salary, so be it, but most folks don't want to do that either. They want the guaranteed cash (ie: wages) and they want the upside of the equity without the risk? Who doesn't, but that's not how it works. As a shareholder my view has always been you reward performing employees who a contributing above and beyond and you pay attractive wages to attract and retain talent.

When I was still working in IB/PE in 2008-2009 my income dropped ~90%. Literally it went down by 90% in 2009 because our staff still got paid the same, but our revenue collapsed. At the same time our options and grants went in the toilet because of book value. So we got slammed. None of our staff wanted to chip in a nickel and I didn't expect them to. I did however find it rather shocking that in 2010 when we got huge bonuses suddenly the staff all wanted a piece of that.

Meh. I used to hear a lot of good things about VT for engineering.

09-23-2020 12:48 PM #17544
      I know a guy who has a UW degree in History and he's on the board of multiple companies as a VC investor.
      A point of order, he is on the board of multiple companies irrespective of where he went to school or what he went there for. He could have gotten his education in San Quentin and it wouldn't matter. He is on the board because he is a VC investor and likely controls enough shares to *vote himself on*.

09-23-2020 12:51 PM #17545
      Aren't you in, like, Killingly? You must have the most talked-to hand on the planet.
      No. There are some die-hard trumpistas here, but it's still better than, say, the entire midwest I drove through WRT mask-wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post

3. Zuckerberg thinks the answer to all that bad AI is more AI.
      Facebook needs to be nationalized. Taken out of private hands entirely. "Facebook" should be run by librarians with strict moderating control.

Devil's Advocate - FDIC, FannieMae, Federal Reserve Board, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, and SEC did a bang-up job in keeping banks from f**king the economy.
      The term you're looking for is "captive agency."

I'm saying the federal gov't lacks the intellectual capacity to create effective oversight for pretty much everything. It turns into a jobs program...
      This is pure corn-pone thinking. Many agencies in the federal government are staffed with dedicated career professionals who are actually smarter than you're evidently able to give them credit for. Trumpistas would call them the 'deep state,' of course, but they're the ones who keep the wheels on the bus.

Go take the FSOT (Foreign Service Officer Test) and see how well you might do working at the State Department, for example:

https://careers.state.gov/fsopractic...tructions3.php
      From the npboards, home of "intelligent discussion:" ...Trump...seems to be appealing quite a bit to black voters. By some estimates as many as one out of four would vote for him. This may well be because he not only has a Strong Pimp Hand, he is also the most "******-Rich" man in New York City. In other words, someone they can both relate to and aspire to."

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      09-23-2020 01:12 PM #17546
      Quote Originally Posted by bave View Post
      Meh. I used to hear a lot of good things about VT for engineering.
      Sure, assuming you actually graduate with an engineering degree. At least 1/3 of 17 year olds who start out in Engineering end up changing their major. At age 17, you know "I'm pretty good in math" and "Engineering pays pretty well". I was 3 semesters in before I figured out I wanted combined Electrical Engineering and Computer Science degrees. I started out as a math major.

23. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6
      09-23-2020 01:17 PM #17547
      RE: Living in the middle of nowhere.

Saw my first Biden sign in a lawn today. Someone had vandalized it with the N word.

Stay classy.

As far as testing. Our facility is testing all staff and residents twice a week. It's costing us a metric f*ck ton of cash, but it's the only way to try and stay ahead of this.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      09-23-2020 01:17 PM #17548
      I've seen Fauci in front of congress before being beat up by some GOP senators regarding the CDC's recommendations, past recommendations, and things he has said this year. The exchanges I have seen don't make any sense, because the senator asking the question is jumping all over the timeline putting words in Fauci's mouth to try to trip him up.

I think he's about had it. https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/s...94079417954305

Vehicles
      09-23-2020 01:18 PM #17549
      Not everyone has that opportunity, nor the means to do so.
      Precisely why I said what I said. The perception of certain universities in the recruitment process (and overall networking) is a very real consideration, though. If you don't have ability to make the choice, then of course anything is better than nothing, but I didn't feel that having a piece of paper from Campbell was going to do me any favors. You know where I went to school, it's not like I went to some high-brow private institution, but I sure as **** know I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now had I chosen the 'free' route. Luckily my grandparents were able to cosign on the loan. Parents were still too poor to even do that, even with excellent credit.

NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

26. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-23-2020 01:30 PM #17550
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      I've seen Fauci in front of congress before being beat up by some GOP senators regarding the CDC's recommendations, past recommendations, and things he has said this year. The exchanges I have seen don't make any sense, because the senator asking the question is jumping all over the timeline putting words in Fauci's mouth to try to trip him up.

I think he's about had it. https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/s...94079417954305
      who hasn't had it with the Pauls?

Page 702 of 759 FirstFirst ... 202602652692698699700701702703704705706712752 ... LastLast