VWVortex.com - Coronavirus: US Declares Public Health Emergency
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 130 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180 ... LastLast
    Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 4549

Thread: Coronavirus: US Declares Public Health Emergency

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      03-24-2020 09:47 AM #3226
      February we had a respiratory infection run through our office floor. No idea if it was covid but we have a very diverse multi national workforce that just got back from extensive travels all over the world during winter break. At least one person was hospitalized due to underlying health issues (asthma).

Idiot on my management team showed up one day saying "if my fever doesn't break I'm going to need to go to urgent care" I gave him the stare of death and told him to go now. He had the same upper respiratory infection everyone else had and was out for a week.
      signatures are annoying, right?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL R-Line
      03-24-2020 09:48 AM #3227
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      Not exactly. Details matter.

Feinstein's stocks are held in a blind trust, and she wasn't in attendance at the Covid meeting to get the inside information. The senators who sold stock directly and received the inside information are both republicans.

The "both sides" argument is quite often partisanship disguised as equanimity.
      So where does Rep. Susan Davis (CA-D) fall into the discussion?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...id-19-briefing

Her husband and their financial manager conveniently sold off airline and cruise line stocks... and then bought broadband stocks the same day.

03-24-2020 09:59 AM #3228
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/asia/...hnk/index.html

"China to lift lockdown on Wuhan, ground zero of coronavirus pandemic"

That's an unprecedented 77 day full lockdown impacting a city of 11M and to a lesser extent 60M in the region.
      Citizens aren't legally allowed to oppose their government in China. I won't run down the whole list but basically the US doesn't have the ability or legal structure to do exactly as China does - nor citizens conditioned to fear for their lives at the thought of ever opposing their government.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      So where does Rep. Susan Davis (CA-D) fall into the discussion?

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...id-19-briefing

Her husband and their financial manager conveniently sold off airline and cruise line stocks... and then bought broadband stocks the same day.
      I'm sure they have a good explanation on why what they did is totally different from what anyone else did, and why that means they did nothing wrong.
      Last edited by AZGolf; 03-24-2020 at 10:01 AM.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      03-24-2020 10:05 AM #3229
      With the way things are going, I think that the US is screwed because of the people that either (1) grossly under-estimate what this pandemic can do and how quickly the deaths will mount or (2) put the short-term economy over what will happen if a massive portion of the population dies.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      03-24-2020 10:08 AM #3230
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      With the way things are going, I think that the US is screwed because of the people that either (1) grossly under-estimate what this pandemic can do and how quickly the deaths will mount or (2) put the short-term economy over what will happen if a massive portion of the population dies.
      Don't forget the economic costs to the healthcare system. Or maybe Trump figures that will be outweighed by the large reduction in elderly on Medicare and other social programs.

Vehicles
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      03-24-2020 10:08 AM #3231
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      And the female republican not only sold stock but reinvested in telecommute software.
      hope ppl buy more of that software company, I could use another 20-30% run.

03-24-2020 10:10 AM #3232
      https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/24/coro...-capacity.html

Two large US private labs say they could soon process 300,000 coronavirus tests per week

Two of the largest private labs in the U.S. will collectively be able to process more than 300,000 COVID-19 tests by the end of the week, their CEOs say.

LabCorp CEO Adam Schechter told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” on Tuesday the company is processing around 20,000 tests daily and will by the end of the week be able to “a lot more” than 100,000 tests per week.

Quest Diagnostics is conducting about 25,000 COVID-19 tests per day, with plans of increasing daily capacity to around 30,000 by the end of the week, CEO Steve Rusckowski told CNBC’s “Closing Bell” a day earlier.

That would put Quest’s weekly capacity around 200,000, he said.

“By the end of this week we’re going to have significantly more testing capacity in this country than we had only a week or so ago,” Rusckowski said.

Said Schechter: “Next week will be significantly more than this week.”

Quest began processing its test on March 9 while LabCorp’s test became available a few days earlier.

While testing capacity in the U.S. has lagged behind other nations, Schechter stressed the importance now of considering all the different entities who are conducting tests.

“It’s not just about LabCorp,” he said. “When you think about the other national, regional, local labs, academic medical centers, hospitals and the state labs, everybody is increasing capacity.”

Increasing testing capacity is critical in understanding just how widespread COVID-19 is in the U.S.

“It’s impossible to know the exact number that we’ll need, but I know we’ll build as much capacity as we can,” Schechter said.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      03-24-2020 10:27 AM #3233
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I'm sure they have a good explanation on why what they did is totally different from what anyone else did, and why that means they did nothing wrong.
      At first I was mad, then I read that the virus status was public knowledge before they sold everything off.

Maybe they had more knowledge than they are leading us to believe they had Maybe they didn't.

There are thousands of people who will fight to get to the bottom of this for me to get worked up about it.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      03-24-2020 10:33 AM #3234
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      There are thousands of people who will fight to get to the bottom of this for me to get worked up about it.
      True, America has a long history of punishing unethical politicians and those who commit grand financial crimes...wait, what?
      signatures are annoying, right?

03-24-2020 10:36 AM #3235

It is far more important you get upset about the otherguy making money the same way your guy makes money. If you focus on that, you won't have to worry about the happening, that's happening.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      They make my ass look pretty.

12. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      03-24-2020 10:42 AM #3236
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      True, America has a long history of punishing unethical politicians and those who commit grand financial crimes...wait, what?
      Yeah, it's usually a stepping stone to the White House.

ANYWHOOOOO..... going back to the invisible enemy at hand...

Silver lining - Grocery stores no longer keep their liquor cabinets locked. So nice just to peruse the the bottles w/o that stupid barrier. I'm not low on alcohol by any stretch of the imagination, but I needed some 'better-than-Costco' rum.

I am, however, low on good beer. I think once lockdown is lifted I might be making a weekend road trip. Unless the liquor store in town can order it for me.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

13. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      03-24-2020 10:52 AM #3237
      Quote Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
      it is going to be interesting to see what happens. If it is/was effective I hope we do same. Current talk from Trump makes that doubtful but he has changed position before
      Impossible. They couldn't even go outside or to a grocery store/anywhere. That's not gonna fly here.

Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      And Trump won't let us even social distance (work shutdowns) for more than a couple of weeks. We aren't even testing and isolating the sick. We will have large areas with lots and lots of deaths. Our economy will end up with a long recession but perhaps not as deep. So we are trading economics over lives and health. All because the orange man's greed for power.
      Just his, or most of the business owners, corp execs in non-essential about to lay off their workforces, etc? It's a large majority of the population that is looking for a balance between economics and health.

Now if everyone wants the federal govt to borrow a couple trillion and add it onto the debt/deficit to make everyone "close to" whole...call your congressperson and ask that.
      Last edited by tbvvw; 03-24-2020 at 10:56 AM.

14. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-24-2020 10:55 AM #3238
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      It's official...
      New shirts! New hats! New everything!!!!

I think it'd be a funny reminder if they (IOC) just did a sloppy X over 2020 and put 2021 on whatever clothes/trinkets have been, or will be made.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"

15. 03-24-2020 11:02 AM #3239
      Dick Pound for president.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

16. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      03-24-2020 11:04 AM #3240
      At first I was mad, then I read that the virus status was public knowledge before they sold everything off.

Maybe they had more knowledge than they are leading us to believe they had Maybe they didn't.

I could care less about the financial side, the female GOP senator (along with her husband) is worth $500M+ before this happened, richest person in congress - this is a blip on the screen for them. I care that Burr had incredible intel from his position as Chairman of the Senate Intelligence committee and only told a small group of donors the real info (2+ weeks before it was public knowledge) and did not tell his constituents, or to my knowledge - all of congress. (which would have made it public knowledge).

I get it that we aren't trying to panic the masses but I wonder if public policy by downstream state/local politicians would have been more stringent had the real news been 2+ weeks earlier. And the effect a little more mitigated?

He had inside info on the rapid spread we should expect before there were 100 or so serious/known cases in this country.

17. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-24-2020 11:14 AM #3241
      I could care less about the financial side, the female GOP senator (along with her husband) is worth $500M+ before this happened, richest person in congress - this is a blip on the screen for them. I care that Burr had incredible intel from his position as Chairman of the Senate Intelligence committee and only told a small group of donors the real info (2+ weeks before it was public knowledge) and did not tell his constituents, or to my knowledge - all of congress. (which would have made it public knowledge).

I get it that we aren't trying to panic the masses but I wonder if public policy by downstream state/local politicians would have been more stringent had the real news been 2+ weeks earlier. And the effect a little more mitigated?

He had inside info on the rapid spread we should expect before there were 100 or so serious/known cases in this country.

I don't think it's the knowledge of the spread is the kicker here. We knew it was coming, it was a matter of time. What we didn't know was the gov't's response - shutting down air travel, borders, shelters in place. Knowing the gov't's plan of action beforehand was what the public didn't know.

And if people believe that Senators didn't talk to other Senators about this, it's time for them to take themselves out of the game.

Vehicles
      FJ Audi A5
      03-24-2020 11:15 AM #3242
      I hear ya, I'm in the exact same boat. And worse than my high schoolers worrying about college, my college son is about to find out if his Big4 consulting internship this summer will wash out completely. That is not only a nice paycheck and great experience, but incredible networking for his first job out of college. It is what it is, hopefully for these youngins they won't remember it in 5 yrs.

There's more important things to worry about than losing 8 weeks of school time...
      My son recently had is summer co-op with GE Aviation confirmed. He's supposed to hear about his assignment location next week with work to hopefully start in June.

I don't have the heart to tell him they just laid off 2600 people.

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      whats really strange about all this "coronavirus is a hoax" bull**** is youd think self preservation would kick in at some point and youd just rather err on the side of caution?

i saw this earlier.
      sadly checks out.
      Source for that quote?

Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      Apparently the spouse of a college friend of mine passed away from symptoms resembling the virus (breathing issues). Was tested several days ago, never saw the results. Under 40 years old.
      Ugh. My condolences. Any under-lying health issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      Do you actually think this, or do you just like to hear it out loud? The thought that smart people calling for a slightly longer and much harder "shut down" of human and economic activity haven't thought about the dire economic implications is one of the dumbest things I have heard.

No ****, sherlock, a "shut down" has substantial negative consequences for every american. So does infection, sickness, and possible untimely death of untold #s of people, including those you love.

"oh, you're not thinking about the overall economic impact if you shut things down" is a dumbass statement. You don't think your local, state, or federal level health dept. officials understand the ramifications of shutting down places of employment for millions?
      Thank you.

2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

19. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-24-2020 11:16 AM #3243
      Quote Originally Posted by vwguru714 View Post
      Dick Pound for president.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      Thrusting America Forward

20. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      all the diesels, and an mg
      03-24-2020 11:40 AM #3244
      Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post

Source for that quote?
      one of the letters to the editor that josh marshal has been putting together at TPM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      And if people believe that Senators didn't talk to other Senators about this, it's time for them to take themselves out of the game.
      wheres my newman belly laugh gif again

someone should look to see how burr voted when they chopped up the STOCK act. i bet we can guess...
      legalized insider trading is one of the many perks of being in congress

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      03-24-2020 11:42 AM #3245
      I am concerned about the co-op situation. KBJr's roomie co-ops for Dura, which is a dumpster fire on a good day. It has now progressed to full on conflagration.

My two are in (very) good shape. KBJr's employer is treating their co-ops like gold - he is home this week on call if they need him on full PTO, along with the rest of the site. The whole site is shut down outside of the dyno techs running in at the start of each shift to check the dynos. There is no recovering lost time, so cleaning wipes are a small cost for them to keep the machines running. Our accelerated testing group is running the same way - come in, open and check tanks, scoot home, and report from there. Littlebro will pick up his work laptop in a week or two and work from home on their VM. He could actually WFH at any time, so there is that.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Vehicles
      Q5 TDi, Sportsmobile Van, Mazda CX-5, Alltrac turbo project
      03-24-2020 11:45 AM #3246
      I for one want to thank the moderators for letting us discuss a "political" topic that usually would be verboten. It helps to vent in these crazy times. We are at the mercy of the decision makers of the world and it can get weird.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

As said on BAT "We’ll burn this guy to high hell for lowering his car but we will bid 6 figures on safari builds. Come on son" - 2mAn

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-24-2020 11:49 AM #3247
      Apologies if we discussed this already.

Texas Lt. Gov. Suggests Elderly Are Willing To Die To Save Economy For Grandkids
      https://god.dailydot.com/dan-patrick-economy/

“No one reached out to me and said, as a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren? And if that’s the exchange, I’m all in.”

“So you’re basically saying that this disease could take your life, but that’s not the scariest thing for you,” said Carlson, asking, “There’s something that would be worse than dying?”

“Yeah,” replied Patrick.
      Wow. Okay, so let’s assume that younger people are okay with their grandparents and parents dying so they can work at McDonald’s again. Patrick likely will be fine. He has a prestigious job, can likely make choices about who he comes into contact with, and has health insurance. Guess who doesn’t? A huge portion of American citizens who will be unable to make any decisions about their risk level at all, because they’ll be exposed all over the place.

24. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      all the diesels, and an mg
      03-24-2020 11:53 AM #3248
      some absolute GOLD on twitter in response.

whatever happened to all lives matter?

25. Just Going with the FLO. Strange Mud's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI, 06 Taco, Rusty plow truck, 1955 MF tractor
      03-24-2020 11:54 AM #3249
      Not saying this is the best option but Triage is a necessary method at times. I am at the age where the curve starts to go up (59). Mrs Mud who is on the front line of a hospital is even older. I hope not to ever be in a position to make decisions like that but hope I would make the right one.
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX
      On a side note long term EMF exposure in electric cars causes AIDS.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      03-24-2020 11:56 AM #3250
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      someone should look to see how burr voted when they chopped up the STOCK act. i bet we can guess...
      legalized insider trading is one of the many perks of being in congress
      It's why I called him a scumbag. I was at a press conference with him in 2009 when he told the media we need stricter subprime lending guidelines, then 20 min later was in the room with him asking me and my team how fast we could get Spanish-only & 40 yr loan docs drafted and created (for him to help greenlight). He's the face you see in Webster's under hypocrisy.

Page 130 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180 ... LastLast