VWVortex

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Coronavirus: US Declares Public Health Emergency

1. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      02-14-2020 08:31 PM #201
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      But isn't that still tracking at 2.3% mortality? For this flu season, the US has at least 55,000 deaths from pneumonia and the flu (starting at week 40 of the year to last week, Feb 8th). The US averages about 3,000 deaths a week from P&I.
      Yes, agreed. But you and I never even heard of coronavirus until ~3-4 weeks ago. We have no idea what we'll deal with in ~6 months time.
      With the flu we have a known sickness and decades of medical treatments.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      02-14-2020 09:21 PM #202
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      Yes, agreed. But you and I never even heard of coronavirus until ~3-4 weeks ago. We have no idea what we'll deal with in ~6 months time.
      With the flu we have a known sickness and decades of medical treatments.
      I haven't heard of a lot of viruses. I never knew of the other coronaviruses either, until the media started chicken little'd everything.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

Vehicles
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      02-14-2020 09:33 PM #203
      travelers from wuhan before they locked it down

Vehicles
      2016 HKG Octopus Card
      02-15-2020 10:11 AM #204
      Well considering Wuhan has been locked down for 23 days (incubation is suggested at 14 days) now and there are only 677 cases outside of Mainland China and 4 deaths, the latest being an 80 year old Chinese tourist in France I think that map is best at spreading panic more than people, assuming it is accurate of course. The Daily Mail is not the best source of top journalism.

So far Saturday is looking to have no new cases here in HK, which has not happened in a week.

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      02-17-2020 10:28 AM #205
      The constant news blast about it appears to have worked. People with the disease mostly aren’t flying around the world spreading it. Anyone in the western world who shows symptoms is rushed off to the hospital. Unlike influenza, there is no vaccine to lower the risk and the autoimmune response can destroy your lung tissue and move on to liver and kidneys. Until a vaccine is developed, this disease is unlikely to completely go away. It’s best to keep people aware of the risks.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianTurbo View Post
      Well considering Wuhan has been locked down for 23 days (incubation is suggested at 14 days) now and there are only 677 cases outside of Mainland China and 4 deaths, the latest being an 80 year old Chinese tourist in France I think that map is best at spreading panic more than people, assuming it is accurate of course. The Daily Mail is not the best source of top journalism.

So far Saturday is looking to have no new cases here in HK, which has not happened in a week.

Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      02-18-2020 02:38 PM #206
      There is some weird sh*t going down.
      Youtube channels specifically now avoid saying Corona-virus or even China as YouTube is demonetizing for just a mere mention.
      It's a strange world when the most used video platform penalizes content creators for merely mentioning a hot topic.
      And the great possibility of lung and kidney damage from the virus even if you recover makes it way worse than the normal flu imho.

Vehicles
      '93 Corrado, '13 Volt CSV
      02-18-2020 02:48 PM #207
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Youtube channels specifically now avoid saying Corona-virus or even China as YouTube is demonetizing for just a mere mention.
      It's a strange world when the most used video platform penalizes content creators for merely mentioning a hot topic.
      And the great possibility of lung and kidney damage from the virus even if you recover makes it way worse than the normal flu imho.
      It now goes by the name Dos Equis-Virus. The most interesting virus in the world.
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

9. 02-18-2020 02:57 PM #208
      That cruise ship situation in Japan is messed up. More and more people are testing positive every day. Unsure though if rising numbers is the result of latency between infection and detectability while the quarantine actually worked, or if quarantine actually didn't work at all. The chart of the infected seems to show a parabolic trend though. To the layman, instead of this being a quarantine situation, it looks more like a case of 'wait till you get infected'.

Now that the two weeks quarantine is over, they're gonna release everyone if the final test out the door says negative. Free at last. Released into the wild like the planned release of radioactive cooling water off Fukushima's shores.

In other news, a study suggests the virus can stay infectious on fomite surfaces for up to 9 days. Basically don't pay extra for courier delivery when ordering stuff online. Choose the cheapest shipping option when you can and let the package simmer en route. I believe you will save some money too.

10. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      02-18-2020 02:57 PM #209
      Quote Originally Posted by palakaman View Post
      It now goes by the name Dos Equis-Virus. The most interesting virus in the world.
      I don't always dank viral infections, but when I do I go with Dos Equis-Virus.

11. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      02-18-2020 04:35 PM #210
      well... s**t.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...us/ar-BB107dq9

Hospital director at coronavirus epicenter dies from the virus
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

12. 02-18-2020 05:49 PM #211
      Wait, there's more...

https://gizmodo.com/chinese-media-de...mpression=true

Sent from my moto using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      02-18-2020 05:54 PM #212
      Quote Originally Posted by palakaman View Post
      I don't always infect large numbers of ****e, but when I do, it's global.

Yeah, that's really messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by baboondumdum View Post
      To the layman, instead of this being a quarantine situation, it looks more like a case of 'wait till you get infected'.
      Yeah, I'd be really, really pissed off if I was healthy and stuck on that boat, not allowed to test off and go home, and I ended up getting infected.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      02-18-2020 06:00 PM #213
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Yeah, that's crap. It's like anti-propaganda. Is China pressuring them? What reason are they hiding behind? In a case like this, people need the most information possible. "We don't want to scare anybody..." BS. Not knowing anything is scarier, IMO.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      1998 New Beetle. 2019 GSW
      02-18-2020 07:06 PM #214
      Isn't YouTube banned in China and blocked by their Great Firewall? You would have to do the VPN thing to get YouTube?

16. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      02-18-2020 08:13 PM #215
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Yeah, I'd be really, really pissed off if I was healthy and stuck on that boat, not allowed to test off and go home, and I ended up getting infected.
      To be fair, they willingly boarded a cruise ship in the first place. I have no sympathy.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Vehicles
      2016 HKG Octopus Card
      02-18-2020 08:57 PM #216
      Yes cruise ships are usually known for a rapid illness spread so I am not sure if that gives a fair indication of conditions. Hong Kong is trying to repatriate it's citizens from the boat, but there is an issue as they will be put back into a 14 day quarantine when they get back into HK so they are not happy and don't want to board the planes. However I think as a non selfish thing and the risk of potentially still spreading something that is the safe call.

YouTube is blocked in China as most western social media is, they do have replacements of course that are similar and also extremely popular. I would imagine that YouTube adjustment is to avoid people using that to get more attention to unrelated content.

The death toll has passed 2,000 now in official stats, with only 5 being outside China, and 1,921 being in Hubei Province.

18. 02-19-2020 08:20 PM #217
      Quote Originally Posted by philf1fan2 View Post
      Wait, there's more...

https://gizmodo.com/chinese-media-de...mpression=true

Sent from my moto using Tapatalk
      Frontline medical staff is an at-risk group for infection during epidemics. Same thing happened with SARS. Exposure is too high and too consistent day in day out. And even the most well trained professionals make mistakes when it comes to wearing PPE thus potentially infecting themselves or others.

Take the first Chinese doctor who died from COVID19:

You can see in that picture he's wearing two masks - a surgical mask and an N95 respirator over top. That setup right there ruins the face seal of his superior N95 mask. I've seen a lot of pictures and videos of regular lay people in Asia doing the same now that everyone is wearing masks going out.

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      I know right?

Paying up for a room with a balcony sure looks like a good call in hindsight for those who could afford it. Will suck major balls to be stuck in the interior rooms with no windows.

It looks like a screw up. People knew. The chart for the infected went parabolic. Hence why they ultimately flew people out before the Japanese quarantine was over, and re-instituted a new 2 week quarantine back home. Now that the Japanese quarantine is over, whoever was left on board are free to go I guess. Nah, nobody else is infected, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      To be fair, they willingly boarded a cruise ship in the first place. I have no sympathy.
      Cruise ships can be fun. I've been on a few in the past. Basically it's all about eating and sleeping. If you're not into the onboard activities then it can be boring AF. But then you're also making port calls to different locations for sightseeing every few days so it's fine. Huge market for it. But note to self, don't do cruises during flu season when people's immune systems are shyt and they can get sick easier and get others sick also. Summers when everyone is generally at their best.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789