VWVortex.com - Coronavirus: US Declares Public Health Emergency
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 603 of 621 FirstFirst ... 103503553593599600601602603604605606607613 ... LastLast
    Results 15,051 to 15,075 of 15508

Thread: Coronavirus: US Declares Public Health Emergency

1. 08-01-2020 10:52 PM #15051
      Quote Originally Posted by OG View Post
      I took my parents for a COVID test in the March / April timeframe. Both complained that they jab you with the swab right to the end of the nostril - extremely painful. Thankfully both were negative. Father is 92 and mother is 75; have not been to the Dr's yet and hope to have some follow-up appointments soon; only phone consultations.

I was expecting something longer myself. But I guess that 1" is all they really need. We sure are getting plenty of positive tests in FL to prove it. 9642 new cases today. 179 deaths today.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, 2018 Passat SE
      08-01-2020 11:27 PM #15052
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      They don't use this technique anymore, at least not when I was tested thats what they told me.
      The two test I've had it was about an inch up the nostril, a little uncomfortable, but not terrible.
      It go down in the DM

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      08-01-2020 11:46 PM #15053
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I was expecting something longer myself. But I guess that 1" is all they really need.
      "I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine."

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      08-02-2020 12:04 AM #15054
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Knock me out for that please.
      Mine didn’t seem like it was horizontal like that. Felt more “up.” But I definitely had one of those long ones and the biggest thing for me was it tickling the sinus or whatever as she swirled it around. I thought for sure I was going to sneeze and all I could think about was how badly that would hurt with a swab that far in. I still don’t know how I didn’t, other than sheer willpower.

08-02-2020 01:07 AM #15055
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      I think I would throw up if a swab went that far back!

/juvenile antics
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      08-02-2020 01:19 AM #15056
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post

8. Senior Member
      08-02-2020 08:49 AM #15057
      My wife and I both had the nasal swabs done a few weeks ago. State wants everyone in our town tested because it is a hot spot.

It was a nasal swab and went in a lot more than an inch. I wouldn't doubt the image above. Not painful, but it was unpleasant. It's just 3 seconds, and the technician counts off 1, 2, 3. That reassures you that she's almost done, and it's very quick. Eyes do tear up a little as a natural reaction to something invasive stuck up your nose.

My wife tested negative. I never received an e-mail , and my results haven't been posted online. Wonder if they lost my sample.

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      08-02-2020 09:01 AM #15058
      Quote Originally Posted by OG View Post
      I took my parents for a COVID test in the March / April timeframe. Both complained that they jab you with the swab right to the end of the nostril - extremely painful. Thankfully both were negative. Father is 92 and mother is 75; have not been to the Dr's yet and hope to have some follow-up appointments soon; only phone consultations.

I was expecting something longer myself. But I guess that 1" is all they really need. We sure are getting plenty of positive tests in FL to prove it. 9642 new cases today. 179 deaths today.
      No. 1” will generate a huge fraction of false negative results. Even the “shove a toothbrush up your nose” sample gathering has a 30% false negative result.

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      08-02-2020 09:03 AM #15059
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      They don't use this technique anymore, at least not when I was tested thats what they told me.
      The two test I've had it was about an inch up the nostril, a little uncomfortable, but not terrible.
      So “Florida Man” testing. 🙂

08-02-2020 09:16 AM #15060
      It's the new assault on public education - kill the teachers.
      Not unlike the assault on the USPS: slow the mail down and kill trust with the public.
      From the npboards, home of "intelligent discussion:" ...Trump...seems to be appealing quite a bit to black voters. By some estimates as many as one out of four would vote for him. This may well be because he not only has a Strong Pimp Hand, he is also the most "******-Rich" man in New York City. In other words, someone they can both relate to and aspire to."

12. 08-02-2020 09:22 AM #15061
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
      My wife and I both had the nasal swabs done a few weeks ago. State wants everyone in our town tested because it is a hot spot.

It was a nasal swab and went in a lot more than an inch. I wouldn't doubt the image above. Not painful, but it was unpleasant. It's just 3 seconds, and the technician counts off 1, 2, 3. That reassures you that she's almost done, and it's very quick. Eyes do tear up a little as a natural reaction to something invasive stuck up your nose.

My wife tested negative. I never received an e-mail , and my results haven't been posted online. Wonder if they lost my sample.

Maybe there is something to do with depth versus duration. They were adamant that the swab had to remain up the nostril and be twirled around for 15 seconds. 3 seconds in and out seems very quick.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

08-02-2020 09:24 AM #15062
      Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      ...moral degenerates don't let Trump's trolling of the Democrats upset them...

ftfy

What your tribe calls "trump derangement syndrome" is merely being human and having the ability to be shocked by horrible behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by bave View Post
      I tend to agree with this. Someone did the math once that if Trump took his money he inherited and put it into the SP500 index he would have more money than he does now
      Tell that to the driveway paver and friends on the NPboards: He actually believes that trump is a business genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      ...The Deflection is Trump's; it worked: You're talking about nonsense.

Is it "nonsense" that he sent unmarked federal goons to "democrat" cities unbidden? Is it "nonsense" that he's taken concrete steps to sabotage mail-in voting?

Your immorality is eventually going to pull you under.
      From the npboards, home of "intelligent discussion:" ...Trump...seems to be appealing quite a bit to black voters. By some estimates as many as one out of four would vote for him. This may well be because he not only has a Strong Pimp Hand, he is also the most "******-Rich" man in New York City. In other words, someone they can both relate to and aspire to."

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      08-02-2020 09:30 AM #15063
      The problem with morality is that it is a relative measure of behaviour. Everyone thinks that they are perfectly moral, because otherwise, they would be (in the case of christians) defective in God's eyes. Morality is a sort of circular argument. It's like George Carlin and faster/slower drivers.

Slap is perfectly moral in his own mind. And in his world, his mind is the only mind that counts.
      I AM DISCO DIVA!
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      08-02-2020 09:37 AM #15064
      It's like George Carlin and faster/slower drivers.
      And nobody will admit they are less than a "good" or "above average" driver.

08-02-2020 09:39 AM #15065
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      The pleas for civility are hilarious from people whose only purpose on these forums is to share how superior they think they are to the members here. But let someone use a bad word or call someone a name and suddenly civility is important. There's nothing civil about injecting yourself into a community of people for no reason than to be annoying.
      The 'civility' they claim to cherish is a lie. While I was briefly a member of the npboards, the name-calling never stopped after about day two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Have you seen their pickups? Or their thin-orange-skinned leader?

It’s like they’re barely holding it together and their entire self-worth derives from having someone to be angry at who they feel is keeping them down.

I was driving my convertible on the first cool evening in a while a couple of days ago, and I passed a house flying a Trump-2020 flag; a "blue lives matter" flag and the confederate flag. All lit with yard lights. In the driveway, a lifted truck with a sewer-pipe exhaust and a bumper stained with soot.

That about sums it up.

I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Vehicles
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      08-02-2020 09:51 AM #15066
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      And nobody will admit they are less than a "good" or "above average" driver.
      I'm trying to be a better driver since I have to show my son how a good driver behaves.

Also my wife is coughing, thinking about getting tested. Seems like pollen (grass % is up) but now it seems like any possibility should be checked out.

Especially since I think she doesn't want to kill me.
      A loving welcome from TCL

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

18. 08-02-2020 09:58 AM #15067
      White House opposes requirement for passengers to wear masks on planes, trains

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House on Thursday said it opposed language in a bill before Congress that would require airline, train and public transit passengers and workers to wear masks amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The White House Office of Management and Budget called the provision in a U.S. House of Representatives spending bill requiring the masks “overly restrictive.” It added that “such decisions should be left to states, local governments, transportation systems, and public health leaders.”

Airlines, Amtrak and most public transit systems and U.S. airports require all passengers and workers to wear facial coverings.

Representative David Price, a Democrat who chairs the appropriations panel overseeing transportation issues, proposed an amendment this month to require the masks.

“President Trump’s flagrant disregard for basic public health measures is bad enough, but threatening to derail federal funding for major transportation and housing programs due to a common-sense provision to require masks on planes, trains, and buses is baffling,” Price said Thursday.

The House is set to vote on the bill Friday.

The statement comes as administration officials have held extensive talks in recent weeks about whether the Health and Human Services Department (HHS) should issue an order requiring facial coverings at U.S. airports, train and transit stations and onboard airplanes, trains and transit services, five U.S. and airline industry officials told Reuters.

Airlines have pressed the Trump administration to do more, including mandating temperature checks, as a way of reassuring wary passengers.

HHS declined to comment.

In a July 8 letter, seen by Reuters, Airports Council International – North America chief executive Kevin Burke urged HHS Secretary Alex Azar to issue an order requiring “facial coverings by all individuals in air transportation.”

“A federal requirement on facial coverings will not only serve to instill confidence in those who work or travel through America’s airports, but also ensure a consistent application throughout the aviation system,” Burke wrote.

19. 08-02-2020 10:16 AM #15068
      I don't know how it is in the USA, but major airports in Canada are under federal jurisdiction, and our federal government did the right thing almost FOUR MONTHS ago. https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...on-system.html

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      08-02-2020 10:21 AM #15069
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      I was driving my convertible on the first cool evening in a while a couple of days ago, and I passed a house flying a Trump-2020 flag; a "blue lives matter" flag and the confederate flag. All lit with yard lights. In the driveway, a lifted truck with a sewer-pipe exhaust and a bumper stained with soot.

That about sums it up.
      Where in Killingly was this? I figure I have a 75% chance of having the right town.

There’s a bunch of that elsewhere in New England.

To go back on-topic, those semi-rural places in New England with minimal economic opportunities have tended to be pretty COVID-19 free. Nobody travels much there. It takes tourists to drag the plague in. Opiates are killing them, not coronavirus.

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      08-02-2020 10:24 AM #15070
      White House opposes requirement for passengers to wear masks on planes, trains

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House on Thursday said it opposed language in a bill before Congress that would require airline, train and public transit passengers and workers to wear masks amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The White House Office of Management and Budget called the provision in a U.S. House of Representatives spending bill requiring the masks “overly restrictive.” It added that “such decisions should be left to states, local governments, transportation systems, and public health leaders.”

Airlines, Amtrak and most public transit systems and U.S. airports require all passengers and workers to wear facial coverings.

Representative David Price, a Democrat who chairs the appropriations panel overseeing transportation issues, proposed an amendment this month to require the masks.

“President Trump’s flagrant disregard for basic public health measures is bad enough, but threatening to derail federal funding for major transportation and housing programs due to a common-sense provision to require masks on planes, trains, and buses is baffling,” Price said Thursday.

The House is set to vote on the bill Friday.

The statement comes as administration officials have held extensive talks in recent weeks about whether the Health and Human Services Department (HHS) should issue an order requiring facial coverings at U.S. airports, train and transit stations and onboard airplanes, trains and transit services, five U.S. and airline industry officials told Reuters.

Airlines have pressed the Trump administration to do more, including mandating temperature checks, as a way of reassuring wary passengers.

HHS declined to comment.

In a July 8 letter, seen by Reuters, Airports Council International – North America chief executive Kevin Burke urged HHS Secretary Alex Azar to issue an order requiring “facial coverings by all individuals in air transportation.”

“A federal requirement on facial coverings will not only serve to instill confidence in those who work or travel through America’s airports, but also ensure a consistent application throughout the aviation system,” Burke wrote.
      Wow!

That’s bizarre public health policy.

22. 08-02-2020 10:29 AM #15071
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      I don't know how it is in the USA, but major airports in Canada are under federal jurisdiction, and our federal government did the right thing almost FOUR MONTHS ago. https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-c...on-system.html
      And thus you are able to host the NHL in two bubbles, the Toronto Blue Jays can't play games in Toronto because Canada doesn't want all those COVID infected US baseball teams coming into Canada. Despite Trudeau's other screwups, this is one thing he and your government got right.

23. 08-02-2020 10:31 AM #15072
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Wow!

This is why the economy will stay in the toilet until the end of January or even February. God willing.

24. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      08-02-2020 10:37 AM #15073
      The problem with morality is that it is a relative measure of behaviour. Everyone thinks that they are perfectly moral, because otherwise, they would be (in the case of christians) defective in God's eyes. Morality is a sort of circular argument. It's like George Carlin and faster/slower drivers.

Slap is perfectly moral in his own mind. And in his world, his mind is the only mind that counts.
      You aren't responding to what Slap wrote, but to Tool's misrepresentation. Maybe knowing which source you are reading isn't a big part of being a lab tech. I'm sure you are actually interested in the point, and not just oddly fascinated by Slap, so I'll look forward to your follow up with Tool about his morality based critique.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

Vehicles
      2019 GTI, 2004 R32, 2016 GLI
      08-02-2020 11:04 AM #15074
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post

That about sums it up.
      So like tiny hands Trump, his followers all have small peen syndrome? Sounds about right.

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      08-02-2020 11:28 AM #15075
      Sticking with the COVID subject...

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Wow!

Agreed with both. Rather strange. You think people don't want to fly now, let's not require masks and see how many more people stay away from flying. There's not enough money to support that industry if it tanks over a really long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      Like spockcat said, your government seems to be doing more right overall. Ours is still offering mixed messages and half-assed measures and leaving it to everybody to figure it out for themselves when we need, IMO, a stronger central lead that we're not getting, or the lead isn't willing to furnish.
      "I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine."

Page 603 of 621 FirstFirst ... 103503553593599600601602603604605606607613 ... LastLast