VWVortex.com - Coronavirus: US Declares Public Health Emergency
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 689 of 697 FirstFirst ... 189589639679685686687688689690691692693 ... LastLast
    Results 17,201 to 17,225 of 17418

Thread: Coronavirus: US Declares Public Health Emergency

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4, 5.7 & 2.0T
      09-16-2020 04:28 PM #17201
      Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      Not owning your own balls is the worst. Do you rent?
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for an aSS View Post
      Has to ask to borrow them from the wife.
      Today is our 14th wedding anniversary, so of course I don't own them
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4 | 2018 RAM 1500 | 2000 Cobalt 246 w/454 Mag MPI

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-16-2020 04:32 PM #17202
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      It is actually intelligent
      Dude you can't go on and on about how intelligent you are and then go on with the incoherence that followed

As reported by a microbiology on TV
      What?

in grave cases, they found infected persons with 100 000 000 millions virus per cc of blood.
      Is millions like maths? So they found a hundred million million cells per cc?

Now the tests are so advanced that they can detect a few virus per cc.
      I thought the tests were useless and full of false positives

BTW, CDC reported a few weeks ago that 94% of the deaths had underlying conditions.
      Oh good I haven't heard this stat in about twelve minutes. Uncle Bob's death doesn't matter because he had a hangnail a few years ago

I know when I want information I go to jems.com

Last edited by Jimmy Russells; 09-16-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4, 5.7 & 2.0T
      09-16-2020 04:34 PM #17203
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Dude you can't go on and on about how intelligent you are and then go on with the incoherence that followed
      Sounds like someone else but I cannot put my finger on it...
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4 | 2018 RAM 1500 | 2000 Cobalt 246 w/454 Mag MPI

09-16-2020 04:46 PM #17204
      As reported by a microbiology on TV
      You watch The View?
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

6. I got a poop emoji! CHEVY!! Time for an aSS's Avatar
      Vehicles
      17 Chevy SS
      09-16-2020 04:49 PM #17205
      The funniest thing about all of that is that microbiologists don't even study viruses. Don't tell him though, I want to see what he comes up with next.
      fact; there are no, NO, ZERO evidence that washing hands...work.

09-16-2020 04:51 PM #17206
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Oh good I haven't heard this stat in about twelve minutes. Uncle Bob's death doesn't matter because he had a hangnail a few years ago
      Don't you know? If you have diabetes you are going to die. Maybe in 10-20-30-40 years but you are going to die. So covid isn't the cause of your death. It only helped you realize your final goal sooner.
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Trolls ignored: 9

8. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      09-16-2020 05:10 PM #17207
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Don't you know? If you have diabetes you are going to die. Maybe in 10-20-30-40 years but you are going to die. So covid isn't the cause of your death. It only helped you realize your final goal sooner.
      So COVID is like BASF?
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

9. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      09-16-2020 05:26 PM #17208
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      You watch The View?
      Think he was referring to:

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-16-2020 05:35 PM #17209
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      So COVID is like BASF?

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      09-16-2020 06:01 PM #17210
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for an aSS View Post
      Has to ask to borrow them from the wife.
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      Today is our 14th wedding anniversary, so of course I don't own them
      Congrats! Don't worry, after some combination of age and years married, they give them back because either we don't know what to do with them anymore, or we're mostly harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Think he was referring to:

So is that the stuff we're supposed to inhale, or inject, or use it as a throat spray?
      "I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine."

12. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-16-2020 06:03 PM #17211
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      So is that the stuff we're supposed to inhale, or inject, or use it as a throat spray?
      why not both?
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"

Vehicles
      '04 Honda Recon 250ES
      09-16-2020 06:41 PM #17212
      This stuff is getting so hyped up, there are even radio commercials locally for it.

But from their own website:

Microban 24 does not provide 24-hour residual protection against any viruses.

So doesn't this mean you still need to frequently sanitize commonly touched items and not "every 24 hours" like they're hoping people latch onto? The 24 hour part is only good for bacteria.
      I'm watching you, Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by welderdood View Post
      What you lack in obsessive compulsions you make up for in debauchery.

14. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-16-2020 06:42 PM #17213
      apparently COVID got to Harvey in prison and he survived it. I thought he was too sick to be put in prison and he survived COVID?

15. 09-17-2020 05:43 AM #17214
      I think it's too late. They're always playing the tough guy and when the situation gets out of control they're taking it serious. Well, not the best approach

Vehicles
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      09-17-2020 07:37 AM #17215
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...s-amazon-foia/

"The records also offer fresh detail about the Postal Service’s precarious position in the White House’s early pandemic response. At one point in April, USPS leaders drafted a news release announcing plans to distribute 650 million masks nationwide, enough to offer five face coverings to every American household. The document, which includes quotations from top USPS officials and other specifics, was never sent. But it suggests that the government’s initial interest in tapping the Postal Service as part of its campaign to combat the coronavirus may have been far more advanced than initially reported this spring."

17. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      09-17-2020 11:03 AM #17216
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Why can't you just let me live in the moment?
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

18. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '20 TNT 135, '17 A7 3.0 Prestige, '96 VRT Cabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      09-17-2020 11:51 AM #17217
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I must admit that I am dropping into this thread as a result of receiving a ton of RTM's from people that I consider all over the political spectrum. This is not supposed to be a politically-motivated thread, and just like the rest of this forum we expect for all parties involved to leave politics out of it.

That includes (but is not limited to the following):

-Political cartoons
      -Derogatory terms for political leaders. We didn't tolerate it in the 2007/2008 time frames and we don't tolerate it now.
      -Posting OP/ED articles or links to those types of articles that choose a political side rather than focusing upon human outcome.

I along with other moderators have allowed this thread to creep a bit out of control in that regard over the past few months but it is time for it to get back on-track.

Thank you.
      It seems that this request by me was forgotten. This is the final warning for several of you. It doesn't matter if one person ignores the warning-- if you post up political items here or elsewhere it doesn't matter how long you have been here, I am going to ban you permanently.

There are tons of places for people to post political opinions all over the web. This ain't one of them.

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      09-17-2020 12:10 PM #17218
      It seems that this request by me was forgotten. This is the final warning for several of you. It doesn't matter if one person ignores the warning-- if you post up political items here or elsewhere it doesn't matter how long you have been here, I am going to ban you permanently.

There are tons of places for people to post political opinions all over the web. This ain't one of them.
      Paul, can you address where the fine line is regarding politics going forward? Healthcare and the handling of the pandemic is partly a matter of policies of state and federal government. They're closely intertwined and difficult to unravel. Thanks.
      "I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine."

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '20 Civic Si - '16 RAV4
      09-17-2020 12:18 PM #17219
      Paul, can you address where the fine line is regarding politics going forward? Healthcare and the handling of the pandemic is partly a matter of policies of state and federal government. They're closely intertwined and difficult to unravel. Thanks.
      x2 please. I have purposely not posted a bunch of relevant (imo) stuff because of the warning so I want to make sure I'm not continuing to be a problem.

21. I got a poop emoji! CHEVY!! Time for an aSS's Avatar
      Vehicles
      17 Chevy SS
      09-17-2020 12:19 PM #17220
      Yeah. I'm not really sure how you talk about the pandemic without talking about the political bodies that govern our response to the pandemic.

Vehicles
      '20 V60 CC, '14 ATS
      09-17-2020 12:22 PM #17221

Thirding the request for better guidelines, because I want to stick around. Like, there are some obvious straight up "blast 45 for being a bad president posts," but is a post discussing his policy on a vaccine for the virus political?
      | 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country | 2014 Cadillac ATS Performance |

23. I got a poop emoji! CHEVY!! Time for an aSS's Avatar
      Vehicles
      17 Chevy SS
      09-17-2020 12:24 PM #17222
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      If somebody's going to be banned, I vote this guy. No excuse for posting this sort of thing.

09-17-2020 12:26 PM #17223
      So I was watching NOVA's episode Human Nature and the CRISPR portion got me thinking, so a bit of googling produced this (apologies if this topic has already been discussed here)

Quote Originally Posted by SciTechDaily
      MIT’s New CRISPR-Based Rapid Test for COVID-19 Shows Improved Sensitivity

A CRISPR-based test developed at MIT and the Broad Institute can detect nearly as many cases as the standard Covid-19 diagnostic.

Since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, researchers at MIT and the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, along with their collaborators at the University of Washington, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and the Ragon Institute, have been working on a CRISPR-based diagnostic for Covid-19 that can produce results in 30 minutes to an hour, with similar accuracy as the standard PCR diagnostics now used.

The new test, known as STOPCovid, is still in the research stage but, in principle, could be made cheaply enough that people could test themselves every day. In a study appearing today in the New England Journal of Medicine, the researchers showed that on a set of patient samples, their test detected 93 percent of the positive cases as determined by PCR tests for Covid-19.

“We need rapid testing to become part of the fabric of this situation so that people can test themselves every day, which will slow down outbreak,” says Omar Abudayyeh, an MIT McGovern Fellow working on the diagnostic.

: A nasal swab is dipped in an extraction buffer containing a lysis buffer and magnetic beads. After 10 minutes at room temperature, the sample is placed on a magnet and the extraction buffer is aspirated. The STOPCovid reaction is added to the beads, and the sample is heated to 60 C. For lateral flow readout, after 80 mins, detection strips are dipped into the reaction. For fluorescence readout, after 45 mins, the reaction can be interpreted using a fluorescence reader. Credit: Courtesy of the researchers

Abudayyah is one of the senior authors of the study, along with Jonathan Gootenberg, a McGovern Fellow, and Feng Zhang, a core member of the Broad Institute, investigator at the MIT McGovern Institute and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, and the James and Patricia Poitras ’63 Professor of Neuroscience at MIT. The first authors of the paper are MIT biological engineering graduate students Julia Joung and Alim Ladha in the Zhang lab.

A streamlined test
      Zhang’s laboratory began collaborating with the Abudayyeh and Gootenberg laboratory to work on the Covid-19 diagnostic soon after the SARS-CoV-2 outbreak began. They focused on making an assay, called STOPCovid, that was simple to carry out and did not require any specialized laboratory equipment. Such a test, they hoped, would be amenable to future use in point-of-care settings, such as doctors’ offices, pharmacies, nursing homes, and schools.

“We developed STOPCovid so that everything could be done in a single step,” Joung says. “A single step means the test can be potentially performed by nonexperts outside of laboratory settings.”

This photograph shows the equipment and consumables needed for running STOPCovid. Credit: Courtesy of the researchers

In the new version of STOPCovid reported today, the researchers incorporated a process to concentrate the viral genetic material in a patient sample by adding magnetic beads that attract RNA, eliminating the need for expensive purification kits that are time-intensive and can be in short supply due to high demand. This concentration step boosted the test’s sensitivity so that it now approaches that of PCR.

“Once we got the viral genomes onto the beads, we found that that could get us to very high levels of sensitivity,” Gootenberg says.

Working with collaborators Keith Jerome at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Alex Greninger at the University of Washington, the researchers tested STOPCovid on 402 patient samples — 202 positive and 200 negative — and found that the new test detected 93 percent of the positive cases as determined by the standard CDC PCR test.

“Seeing STOPCovid working on actual patient samples was really gratifying,” Ladha says.

They also showed, working with Ann Woolley and Deb Hung at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, that the STOPCovid test works on samples taken using the less invasive anterior nares swab. They are now testing it with saliva samples, which could make at-home tests even easier to perform. The researchers are continuing to develop the test with the hope of delivering it to end users to help fight the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The goal is to make this test easy to use and sensitive, so that we can tell whether or not someone is carrying the virus as early as possible,” Zhang says.

Reference: “Detection of SARS-CoV-2 with SHERLOCK One-Pot Testing” by Julia Joung, B.S.; Alim Ladha, B.S.; Makoto Saito, Ph.D.; Nam-Gyun Kim, Ph.D.; Ann E. Woolley, M.D., M.P.H.; Michael Segel, Ph.D.; Robert P.J. Barretto, Ph.D.; Amardeep Ranu, B.S.; Rhiannon K. Macrae, Ph.D.; Guilhem Faure, Ph.D.; Eleonora I. Ioannidi, B.S.; Rohan N. Krajeski, B.S.; Robert Bruneau, B.S.; Meei-Li W. Huang, Ph.D.; Xu G. Yu, M.D.; Jonathan Z. Li, M.D.; Bruce D. Walker, M.D.; Deborah T. Hung, M.D., Ph.D.; Alexander L. Greninger, M.D., Ph.D.; Keith R. Jerome, M.D., Ph.D.; Jonathan S. Gootenberg, Ph.D.; Omar O. Abudayyeh, Ph.D. and Feng Zhang, Ph.D., 16 September 2020, New England Journal of Medicine.
      DOI: 10.1056/NEJMc2026172

The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Swiss National Science Foundation, the Patrick J. McGovern Foundation, the McGovern Institute for Brain Research, the Massachusetts Consortium on Pathogen Readiness Evergrande Covid-19 Response Fund, the Mathers Foundation, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, the Open Philanthropy Project, J. and P. Poitras, and R. Metcalfe.
      https://scitechdaily.com/mits-new-cr...d-sensitivity/
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      '20 V60 CC, '14 ATS
      09-17-2020 12:35 PM #17224
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      So I was watching NOVA's episode Human Nature and the CRISPR portion got me thinking, so a bit of googling produced this (apologies if this topic has already been discussed here)

https://scitechdaily.com/mits-new-cr...d-sensitivity/
      That would be a game changer. I hadn't heard of that research.
      | 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country | 2014 Cadillac ATS Performance |

26. I got a poop emoji! CHEVY!! Time for an aSS's Avatar
      Vehicles
      17 Chevy SS
      09-17-2020 12:37 PM #17225
      Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      That would be a game changer. I hadn't heard of that research.
      There's a dozen of these types of tests in varying stages of development +/- the tracking app.

Page 689 of 697 FirstFirst ... 189589639679685686687688689690691692693 ... LastLast