VWVortex.com - Would you replace these tires?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Would you replace these tires?

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat TDI SE
      02-01-2020 02:06 PM #1
      Hi everyone - I'm a newbie to the Vortex, but I did a search and didn't find anything definitive about my question so I hope you can help. I just recently bought a buyback 2013 Passat TDI. It sat for about 3 years and has only 28k miles. I was just at the dealer last week and when they did the inspection along with the service that was due, they checked off that the tires were in good shape, but I'm noticing that the tires look like they have some dry rot. Take a look at the photos. What do you think? I would hate to replace perfectly good tires with a decent amount of tread left, but I also don't want them to be unsafe as I do a lot of highway driving. I've never had any tires look like this before, so thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      02-01-2020 02:17 PM #2
      If it were my car they would be gone. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1994 GTI aba obd1 motor
      02-01-2020 06:11 PM #3
      Would not drive on the highway with those tires especially on a hot day . Also if your going to buy new tire stay away from the brand that are on your car right now. I've always used Michelin and had nothing but very good experiences with that brand

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 02-01-2020 09:36 PM #4
      The tread doesn’t bother me much, but the sidewalls are what is of concern to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat TDI SE
      02-01-2020 09:43 PM #5
      Thank you, everyone. I decided to go with the advice here and replace them. I found a pretty good deal with rebate on some Goodyear Assurance MaxLife which have much better reviews than the dry-rot Hankooks anyway. Thanks again!

8. 02-02-2020 03:19 PM #6
      You didn't post how old the tires were. If they were from the factory - and eight years old - they are probably due to be replaced.

9. n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat TDI SE
      02-02-2020 03:29 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by dennisgli View Post
      You didn't post how old the tires were. If they were from the factory - and eight years old - they are probably due to be replaced.
      AFAIK, they are the factory tires. You're probably right; I'm sure the three years of sitting didn't do them any favors in addition to the age.

10. 02-03-2020 02:33 PM #8
      I took a pair of hankook optimos off the front of my car a few years back. couldn't believe how thick the sidewalls were on them! put some mid range tyres on and the handling has never been as good as it was.

11. 02-16-2020 01:08 PM #9
      I would definitely replace these tires if it were me.

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      09 new beetle 'vert
      02-29-2020 08:18 PM #10
      weather checking around rim flange happens after 3 years based on region in USA. But those treads have cracking between grooves and on footprint and bead flex area. Replace now...….
      "a flute without a hole is not a flute
      and so a donut without a hole, is a danish"

13. 04-01-2020 01:51 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by MCbeetle1015 View Post
      weather checking around rim flange happens after 3 years based on region in USA. But those treads have cracking between grooves and on footprint and bead flex area. Replace now...….
      I found a pretty good deal with rebate on some Goodyear Assurance MaxLife which have much better reviews than the dry-rot Hankooks anyway.

14. 04-09-2020 08:40 AM #12
      It’s a safety issue due to the breakdown of the tire compound, would fail safety part of a state inspection depending if you live in a state where they perform inspections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 04-19-2020 03:53 PM #13
      The tread doesn’t bother me much, but the sidewalls are what is of concern to me.

16. 04-24-2020 10:38 PM #14
      If it was me, I would definitely replace it. Like your tires, it is easy to leak or explode at any time
      Last edited by RichardTipew; 05-02-2020 at 03:50 AM.

17. 05-19-2020 05:01 AM #15
      I would definitely replace these tires if it were me.

18. 05-19-2020 10:51 PM #16
      I just bought a 2013 passat tdi SEL about a month ago and I took it home only to notice cracking between the tread blocks. I had the dealership replace the tires the next day for free. They were the original tires with about 45k mi and a date stamp of 0813. They put on a set of Hankook Kinergy tires. I probably wouldn't have chosen them myself but they're decent tires.

This was on a "CPO" car...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk