Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Transfer case won't spin when attached to DSG transmission

Vehicles
      335xi 12s 1/4 // Spec Miata Racecar // Turbo Miata Sunday Funday
      02-05-2020 08:40 PM #1
      I have the DSG transmission and transfer case (bevel case) out of the car and on the shop floor because I put it in park after blowing the motor and it wouldn't release from park. I could move the shifter linkage on the trans, but the input shaft and rear driveshaft were locked on something. The halfshafts spun by hand. As a result of being stuck, I couldn't turn the car over because the starter wouldn't move the flywheel. So I pulled it all out and removed the transfer case from the trans. Voalla, the input shaft on the DSG trans could be spun by hand. Oddly, I could also spin the transfer case by hand. Nothing is making broken gear noises and the fluids are clean. When I stuck them back together again, now I can spin the DSG input shaft (progress!) but the transfer case is stuck again and rear flange won't spin. So I separated one more time, and indeed they both spin when separate, back together it's the same - I can spin the input shaft but not the rear driveshaft flange.

I got my hex cable in the mail, hooked it up, no codes for the trans stored. Lots for the blown motor, but nothing on the trans. I have a new motor, ready to go in but I'm nervous to do all that work just to have a bad trans or transfer case. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Candy White Golf R
      02-14-2020 12:20 PM #2
      Since you haven't gotten any replies yet I will try and at least offer something. As a question first, is it correct in understanding that essentially the car could work as if it were a FWD car, i.e everything works and spins together fine when it is not connected to the bevel box (which would enable awd)? When you are saying everything is back together are you saying that you could provide input where the front driveshafts would spin, but the driveshaft to the rear would not? If it all works together and the fronts can spin, then something is definitely locked/broken on either the bevel box to the rear, or something at the Haldex is broken/stuck/locked/not engaged. You might not hear any grinding because something is either fully disengaged, or it is so completely locked together that there is no sound to be made. If your engine blew, it is possible that final action sent a large amount of torque through the system and ground something together.

If I were to think about troubleshooting, I would start by getting the system to work in FWD mode (disconnect the rear driveshaft entirely). If that works and everything spins, then as I said, it has to be something with the rear, and my bet would be more on the Haldex. If not, then you know it has to be in the connection between the trans, bevel box, and front driveshafts.

As a side note, not that it affects things too greatly, but you are mentioning a DSG transmission in the Mk6 Golf R forum. The US (and Canada I believe) didn't get those so you're either Rest of World (no problem with that, just not as common, in my opinion, in this forum) or you one of the few that converted to a DSG. Luckily it looks like the Mk6 and Mk7 R are both the same DSG transmission, so you might have better luck getting answers in a ROW-specific forum or in the Mk7 R forum, as there would be more experience with it in them.

Sorry I couldn't help too much.
      2013 Candy White Golf R 4-Door
      HPA Catback || IE intake || Sport Edition A16 wheels - 18x8 || 225/40ZR-18 Pirelli P Zero tires || KW V1 coilovers || IE camber plates || ECS 2-piece rotors (f/r) || Hawk HPS (daily) - Carbotech XP10/XP8 (track) || Endless RF 650 brake fluid || TyrolSport SS brake lines and caliper stiffening kit

Vehicles
      335xi 12s 1/4 // Spec Miata Racecar // Turbo Miata Sunday Funday
      02-15-2020 10:19 PM #3
      Thanks Mailman! I have put the car back together and took a flyer that things would work! I didn't see your reply in time but ironically (as you suggested) I started with just FWD while it was on the lift, and things worked. So I hooked up the rear shaft as well, and things worked again. Now that it has spun a few thousand RPM, it appears the bevel box needed some type of centrifugal force or maybe oil pressure to make it operate, as I can now rotate things by hand again with everything mounted in the car. We've done maybe 15-20 miles so far and things are working well.

Thank you for the note on the DSG in the Golf R. I'm slightly cheating by using the Golf R forums and the TT Mk2 forums to diagnose the car (it is a TT mk2). The TT forums are dead, so I've been bending the ear and knowledge of the Golf R people to fill in my research gaps. I did not know the Gold R did not have a DSG option, that may explain the lack of replies.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Candy White Golf R
      02-15-2020 10:28 PM #4
      Ah that would do it. Similar cars but not entirely haha. An unfortunate thing about some of these cara is certain models/generations don't seem to be very popul3or active...Glad everything seems to be working out and holding up, and that nothing was (hopefully) broken!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      2013 Candy White Golf R 4-Door
      HPA Catback || IE intake || Sport Edition A16 wheels - 18x8 || 225/40ZR-18 Pirelli P Zero tires || KW V1 coilovers || IE camber plates || ECS 2-piece rotors (f/r) || Hawk HPS (daily) - Carbotech XP10/XP8 (track) || Endless RF 650 brake fluid || TyrolSport SS brake lines and caliper stiffening kit