Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: A real benefit to R8 coil

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      02-10-2020 12:49 AM #1
      Is there any real benefit to putting r8 coils on a 2013 gti. I read that they will help out mk5s because of the increased spark but the mk6 and r8 coils have the same spark.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      MK7 Golf Sportwagen, MK6 GLI
      02-11-2020 12:52 AM #2
      From what I understand, they have more windings which will increase resistance on the secondary circuit. This will increase the spark. I have never verified this with a ohm meter though.
      However, with brand new stock coils I had to run .026 gap to avoid misfires. With the r8 coils, I run a .032 gap with no misfires.
      Another thing to consider, I believe there are many different part numbers for the red coils. There are also Chinese aftermarket coils. Really the only way to verify is to buy one, and ohm check it and compare it to your stock ones.
      If I remember, I will ohm check both of them tomorrow and post some pictures.

And to answer your question, there is zero benefits to running R8 coils on a stock car besides they look better. Coils are a supporting mod for tuned and bigger turbo cars. As you increase boost, you need stronger spark to prevent misfires at higher rpms. That is achieved through more powerful coils, or a smaller plug gap.
      Last edited by jiffyjetta; 02-11-2020 at 01:08 AM.
      Tuned mk6 2.0t CBFA 6 speed ECU for sale. Launch control set @ 3800 & 8psi, immobilizer delete, cat delete, air pump delete. $300 shipped.

4. 02-13-2020 10:35 AM #3
      I dealt with a misfire under heavy acceleration and I believe the R8's were one of the solutions. I also added a catch can. Over 70k miles since and dealer states the intake looks like a 10K intake. I take that as proof positive.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
      Shade Tree Wrencher
      2010 Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0T