Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Clunk went the transmission; Car towed to service dept

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Arteon SEL Prem R-line
      02-10-2020 12:27 PM #1
      Well my near-perfect streak with VW vehicles going back to 1999 was harshly ended Friday on my way home from work. The only other issue I had was the 'coil pack' recall issue on my W8 wagon in 2005.

Driving in regular commuter traffic, so generally low speeds, transmission in 'D' and not using manual paddles...I slowed to near-stop at an upcoming stoplight due to traffic backing up into the left lane to get into the two left-turn lanes...when the last car slipped into the left turn lane and I had about 4 car lengths to close to pull up to the next car in my lane at the red light, I started to press the throttle and for a brief moment the car revved a bit without moving, almost like it was in neutral...then a big loud CLUNK noise from underneath and I crawled forward, clearly not under correct power. Speed was around 5-10 MPH when this occurred. I was still at the light waiting for green so at that moment wasn't sure how big of an issue it was...but when the light went green and I went to accelerate, the car felt like it was starting in 3rd gear. And that's where it stayed - no shifts, just one gear...I could get up to around 45MPH max, with revs around 4500RPM...I was about 5 miles from home and 15 miles to the nearest dealership, and was in a part of town where I probably wouldn't want to be sitting in a broken car waiting for a tow...so I decided to try to limp it home. I stayed in the right lanes and could only push to around 45MPH most of the way - occasionally the car would get up to 45MPH then the throttle wouldn't respond at all, and I'd slowly decelerate to around 35MPh before suddenly the throttle would respond again and I could speed back up. At all times, the car felt like it had only one gear.

Once I got home, I went to back the car into my driveway, and the car made a big CLUNK noise again as I shifted into reverse. Reverse felt completely normal, but when switching back into D, the CLUNK again, and still only one forward gear. Called roadside assistance and scheduled a Saturday morning pickup to flatbed the car to the dealer...called the dealer to inform, knowing they wouldn't get to it until Monday AM. No fluids on the ground under the car, no metal bits or parts on the ground. Got a lift to the dealer this morning on the way to work, so I could pick up a loaner, and talk with the service advisor about the issue...now just waiting to hear what happened and what the repair and time will be. Hope this was just a once in a million bad-luck glitch - it can happen...but thought I'd mention it on the boards for info. I'll update more when I find out just what happened, and how long it will take to repair. I do hope the fact that the engine/driveline has been around in the Golf R, and the transmission fairly ubiquitous in VW/Audi products, means I won't have to wait a week or two for some part to come from Germany - I had that happen with the W8 Coil-pack thing because that was such a rare car here, the service took a long time. The Arteon is low volume, but uses parts and engine shared with other cars here, so fingers crossed it won't be too long.

The clunk noise makes me think it's not just a software glitch or something with the engine - transmission itself, linkage failure, crack or leak causing tranny fluid loss, torque converter issue?
      _____
      Justin

2019 Arteon SEL Premium R-Line

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Arteon SEL-P R-Line 4 Motion
      02-10-2020 12:42 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by zackiedawg View Post
      Well my near-perfect streak with VW vehicles going back to 1999 was harshly ended Friday on my way home from work. The only other issue I had was the 'coil pack' recall issue on my W8 wagon in 2005.

Driving in regular commuter traffic, so generally low speeds, transmission in 'D' and not using manual paddles...I slowed to near-stop at an upcoming stoplight due to traffic backing up into the left lane to get into the two left-turn lanes...when the last car slipped into the left turn lane and I had about 4 car lengths to close to pull up to the next car in my lane at the red light, I started to press the throttle and for a brief moment the car revved a bit without moving, almost like it was in neutral...then a big loud CLUNK noise from underneath and I crawled forward, clearly not under correct power. Speed was around 5-10 MPH when this occurred. I was still at the light waiting for green so at that moment wasn't sure how big of an issue it was...but when the light went green and I went to accelerate, the car felt like it was starting in 3rd gear. And that's where it stayed - no shifts, just one gear...I could get up to around 45MPH max, with revs around 4500RPM...I was about 5 miles from home and 15 miles to the nearest dealership, and was in a part of town where I probably wouldn't want to be sitting in a broken car waiting for a tow...so I decided to try to limp it home. I stayed in the right lanes and could only push to around 45MPH most of the way - occasionally the car would get up to 45MPH then the throttle wouldn't respond at all, and I'd slowly decelerate to around 35MPh before suddenly the throttle would respond again and I could speed back up. At all times, the car felt like it had only one gear.

Once I got home, I went to back the car into my driveway, and the car made a big CLUNK noise again as I shifted into reverse. Reverse felt completely normal, but when switching back into D, the CLUNK again, and still only one forward gear. Called roadside assistance and scheduled a Saturday morning pickup to flatbed the car to the dealer...called the dealer to inform, knowing they wouldn't get to it until Monday AM. No fluids on the ground under the car, no metal bits or parts on the ground. Got a lift to the dealer this morning on the way to work, so I could pick up a loaner, and talk with the service advisor about the issue...now just waiting to hear what happened and what the repair and time will be. Hope this was just a once in a million bad-luck glitch - it can happen...but thought I'd mention it on the boards for info. I'll update more when I find out just what happened, and how long it will take to repair. I do hope the fact that the engine/driveline has been around in the Golf R, and the transmission fairly ubiquitous in VW/Audi products, means I won't have to wait a week or two for some part to come from Germany - I had that happen with the W8 Coil-pack thing because that was such a rare car here, the service took a long time. The Arteon is low volume, but uses parts and engine shared with other cars here, so fingers crossed it won't be too long.

The clunk noise makes me think it's not just a software glitch or something with the engine - transmission itself, linkage failure, crack or leak causing tranny fluid loss, torque converter issue?

Damn I'm sorry, hope its not a big issue and def let us know.
      2019 Arteon SEL-P/R-Line 4-Motion

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Passat, 2010 Passat Sedan, 2010 Passat Wagon, 2019 Arteon
      02-10-2020 12:57 PM #3
      wow that blows; thanks for giving us a heads up.
      I hope it's a relatively quick fix.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      i just want ALL the cars...
      02-10-2020 04:33 PM #4
      damn, that sucks.
      probably not a good thing if you heard and felt clunks and what not.

how many miles do you have on your car?
      90 G60 stage IV BBM Corrado SOLD : 97 BMW 328i - full SCCA spec - SOLD : 05 MINI Cooper S - full SCCA spec - SOLD : 12 GLI SE - non-sunroof - static slammed that everyone thought i was riding air - SOLD : 16 GTI SE DSG.LP - APR stage I+ SOLD : 16 Tiguan R-Line 4Motion SOLD : 18 Tiguan SE 4Motion SOLD : 17 Jetta GLI SE - SOLD : 19 Atlas SEL 4Motion - Wife's Daily : 19 Arteon SEL-P R-Line 4Motion - APR Stage I tuned - Daily

7. Member
      Vehicles
      02-10-2020 05:34 PM #5
      Probably right around 6,000 miles. It was definitely felt and loudly heard. Never had anything like that on any car before. I had a Hyundai in college that I beat into the ground and the tranny started to go at 100K, but that was just really clunky shifts and slippage. I know low tranny fluid can get you stuck in a gear, so if it somehow all leaked out, that might happen, but I don't think it would be accompanied by the loud clunk, and to go from completely normal shifting and behavior just seconds before.
      _____
      Justin

8. Member
      02-10-2020 07:05 PM #6
      Sorry to hear about your tranny. This Japanese tranny is supposed to ge more reliable than the dual clutch counterpart, I hope this is just an isolated issue, hopefully this is just a bad sensor.

9. 02-10-2020 07:14 PM #7
      Sorry to hear- I know you have a good relationship with your dealer from all your posts, so hopefully they don't let you down. I have lost faith in all the dealers in my area, so good luck.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat Wagon , 2008 Audi S5, 2000 Audi S4, 2004 Passat Wagon, 1998 Passat Wagon, Audi 5000S
      02-10-2020 07:27 PM #8

strange for a mechanical failure to just show up, especially since there were no early warning signs or heavy use. The fact its stuck in gear makes me think its possibly a hydraulic solenoid failed that regulates the gear change and torque converter lock-up. If there were any broken gears or other nasty stuff, the transmission would have likely seized or got very noisy by the time you got home. A loud clunk sounds bad, but it could be just related to the gear change/torque converter sequence and switching. Thats my off the cuff guess... hopefully if thats the case and the switch is accessible from the outside then it should be a quick fix, if not then its a tranny out job.... so sorry to hear of this. Keep us posted, hopefully it’s not a latent defect in this model.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat Wagon , 2008 Audi S5, 2000 Audi S4, 2004 Passat Wagon, 1998 Passat Wagon, Audi 5000S
      02-10-2020 10:07 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by SDArteon View Post
      strange for a mechanical failure to just show up, especially since there were no early warning signs or heavy use. The fact its stuck in gear makes me think its possibly a hydraulic solenoid failed that regulates the gear change and torque converter lock-up. If there were any broken gears or other nasty stuff, the transmission would have likely seized or got very noisy by the time you got home. A loud clunk sounds bad, but it could be just related to the gear change/torque converter sequence and switching. Thats my off the cuff guess... hopefully if thats the case and the switch is accessible from the outside then it should be a quick fix, if not then its a tranny out job.... so sorry to hear of this. Keep us posted, hopefully it’s not a latent defect in this model.
      Have a look at the SSP... its interesting especially the start/stop pump

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10159424-0001.pdf

12. Member
      Vehicles
      02-11-2020 12:56 AM #10
      strange for a mechanical failure to just show up, especially since there were no early warning signs or heavy use. The fact its stuck in gear makes me think its possibly a hydraulic solenoid failed that regulates the gear change and torque converter lock-up. If there were any broken gears or other nasty stuff, the transmission would have likely seized or got very noisy by the time you got home. A loud clunk sounds bad, but it could be just related to the gear change/torque converter sequence and switching.
      That's my hope. I should know tomorrow AM...I was not able to follow up with the dealer today as I had a meeting out of the office the whole day - not yet sure if they got to the car, or located the issue...but I'll follow up with the service advisor tomorrow morning for an ETA and update. I agree - in general my hopes are for something more simple like a solenoid - there were never any undue tranny noises with 5 miles of driving, and other than slow starts being in the wrong gear, and the occasional drop of the engine revs when I'd get high enough in speed, everything sounded fairly normal other than not changing gears...that, and the clunk which was only when switching from D to R or back again.

I'll update when I know anything more.
      _____
      Justin

13. n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Arteon SE 4motion
      02-11-2020 01:51 PM #11
      Since the transmission has a separate selector lever module, I wonder if maybe something went wrong with that, either electrical or mechanical? If you didn't have any other signs of catastrophic failure like fluid on the ground, then perhaps that module simply isn't selecting the right gear when it's supposed to?

Just a theory. Hope you get good news that it's an easy fix and I look forward to hearing what you find out.

--JQ
      Current VW: 2019 Arteon SE 4motion

Past VWs: 2002.5 Jetta GLI
      1969 Baja Bug

Vehicles
      2019 Arteon SEL-P R-Line 4motion
      02-11-2020 10:28 PM #12
      Hopefully it’s something simple or a random one off situation.

The engine in the NAR Arteon is the same as the Golf R, but the transmission is different. The Golf R uses a 7-speed DSG.

The 8-speed in the NAR Arteon is an Aisin/Toyota Transmission that has been around since 2013 in the Lexus RX.

It’s used on the RX, NX, ES, Camry, Avalon, RAV4, Highlander, various Mini Coopers and all of Volvos latest range.

I wish we had the DSG, Toyota transmission are fine when taking it easy, but are lazy and fussy if you drive spiritedly.
      Last edited by LSIII; 02-11-2020 at 10:33 PM.
      LSIII

15. Member
      Vehicles
      02-12-2020 12:36 AM #13
      Techs finally got to my car today, but weren't able to finish. The service advisor said he was optimistic it wasn't serious - initially suspecting the TCM. But they said it was honestly the first Arteon they've worked on. Sounds like they're wanting to share each step and consult back with VW. I'm OK with it as long as the problem isn't serious - during the week all I'm doing is commuting to work and back, so if there's going to be a time when I don't mind driving a loaner, it's now...I'm hoping they'll finalize and finish the repair and let me know the details tomorrow by the end of the day. Here's hoping.
      _____
      Justin

16. Member
      Vehicles
      02-13-2020 01:10 AM #14
      Got my car back - they confirmed the issue was indeed the TCM. The decision was to replace it, and apparently they worked with VW America in the diagnosis, analysis, and repair process along the way. I do hope it was a one-off fluke. Everything seems to drive perfectly, smoothly, no issues - good that they didn't have to go tearing things out of the car, no catastrophic transmission explosion, gear teeth falling out all over the garage floor!
      _____
      Justin

Vehicles
      S4 Avant, Tiguan, Arteon
      02-13-2020 01:22 AM #15
      Got my car back - they confirmed the issue was indeed the TCM. The decision was to replace it, and apparently they worked with VW America in the diagnosis, analysis, and repair process along the way. I do hope it was a one-off fluke. Everything seems to drive perfectly, smoothly, no issues - good that they didn't have to go tearing things out of the car, no catastrophic transmission explosion, gear teeth falling out all over the garage floor!
      Great news man! Hopefully you won’t have any further issues
      Chapter Eleven

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Passat, 2010 Passat Sedan, 2010 Passat Wagon, 2019 Arteon
      02-13-2020 01:44 AM #16
      excellent news, and thanks for the update

19. Member
      02-13-2020 08:49 AM #17
      Is the TCM made by Aisin also?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas LE 4M
      02-13-2020 08:54 AM #18
      awesome for a quick isolation and easy fix to issue. Good to be back on the road.
      Current: 2018 VW Atlas LE 3.6L 4Motion
      Weekend Toy: 2007 Suzuki GSXR600 with full Ohlins
      Prior: 2012 VW Golf 4dr, 2003 Subaru WRX 20G tuned for 100oct, 2000 Honda Accord 2dr VTEEEEEECCCC

21. Member
      Vehicles
      02-13-2020 10:43 AM #19
      Excellent news. “Just the electronics then” that makes me wonder about a module failure at higher speeds and the fail safe design ( I assume many engineers have thought this one through) That probablly why you had the ability to limp home in low gear

22. n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Arteon SE 4motion
      02-13-2020 11:29 AM #20
      Glad to hear it wasn't too invasive and that your car still drives perfectly. Hopefully that's your last issue for a while!

--JQ
      Current VW: 2019 Arteon SE 4motion

Past VWs: 2002.5 Jetta GLI
      1969 Baja Bug

23. Member
      Vehicles
      02-13-2020 11:45 AM #21
      Excellent news. “Just the electronics then” that makes me wonder about a module failure at higher speeds and the fail safe design ( I assume many engineers have thought this one through) That probably why you had the ability to limp home in low gear
      Based on how it reacted when it failed, I don't feel any cause to worry about it locking into a gear at high speed and throwing you off the road or anything - when it was stuck in 3rd, if I accelerated and the revs got too high, or even when they just sustained for too long, the throttle essentially cut out and the car seemed to be coasting free - almost as if in neutral. I would think the system would protect the mechanicals in the event of a module failure - if it can't figure out the correct gear or when to switch, it seems to default to disconnecting altogether. When the revs and speed got down low enough, the throttle would respond again and the transmission would seem to be engaged back to 3rd gear, allowing me to pick up speed back to about 40-45MPH. I made it home about 5 miles driving that way - if there was any hints of bad noises, smoke, grinding, etc, I would have pulled over...but it felt like it was not doing any damage, just operating in a limp mode. I still decided to have them tow it to the dealer once I got home just because I didn't feel like driving 15 miles in 3rd gear with occasional slowdowns and neutral glides, and just in case something in there was getting damaged.

These all electronic connections, whether it be steering or transmission or brakes, are a little strange and seem a bit dangerous if you're from the old mechanical days - but nearly everything now is by-wire and not mechanically connected like it was in the old days - if there's any advantage to this, it would be in a scenario like mine where a failure or problem doesn't cause a worse issue because things can essentially disconnect electronically if need be. The only areas where there could be some worry is with steer-by-wire, where a disconnect of a failed system means no ability to change course!

I once had an incident in my old 1990 Mitsubishi Montero with an automatic transmission where a friend decided to hop from the passenger seat to the back seat to get something out of a bag in the rear...we were driving along at 50MPH and her foot pushed the transmission into R. You'd think there'd be a cascade of metal parts flying out from under the car as we continue to roll along to a stop - but no...that tranny held, the rear wheels stopped forward motion and reversed, the rear axle hopped furiously, we spun side to side fishtailing before flying across 3 lanes and spinning into a grass median. Never touched another thing. Engine was still running. Friend was lying face up in the rear seat footwell. Put the truck into D, and drove off with nothing apparently damaged at all. Put 160,000 miles on that truck and never had any issues with the tranny. Though I think if I had the option to go through that spin all over the road again, or just have something disconnect or fail and maintain control, I'd go with the latter. It was sheer luck we didn't hit anything while fishtailing and spinning across the road!
      _____
      Justin

24. 02-14-2020 08:39 PM #22
      2005 ?
      Cửa hàng Đất đỏ bazan phân phối các sản phẩm nông nghiệp sạch như hạt mắc ca Gia Lai, cà phê bột và các sản vật tự nhiên như nấm linh chi rừng, mật ong rừng nguyên chất

25. Member
      Vehicles
      02-15-2020 12:37 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Datdobazan View Post
      2005 ?
      Not sure what you're referring to - maybe the W8 coil-pack recall? My W8 wagon was a 2003 model, but I think I had it for a year or two before the coil pack recall happened - I was guessing it was around 2005, but could be wrong. I remember the coil pack recall was happening on all the other 4-cyl models starting sometime around 2003, but didn't include the W8 at first...then the W8 got added to the list a little later. I had never experienced the failure, but had to bring the car in for the recall, and it took several days as with almost any repairs on the W8, the engine didn't make them easy to access.
      _____
      Justin