VWVortex.com - Electric cars outsold the manual transmission for the first time in 2019
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Electric cars outsold the manual transmission for the first time in 2019

1. 02-13-2020 10:18 PM #76
      Just to make sure I wasn't imaging things I went to a half a dozen dealers and inquired about manual versions of mass market
      car that is claimed to be available with manual transmission (nothing said about requiring a special order either) none of these dealers had even one of those on the lot. That screams manufacturer is not actually producing them. I also checked using search online on their
      website. Nope, not one manual version in the entire region of the country I live in. Sure no one buys them because the manufacturer isn't making them available.
      Last edited by focusgroup1; 02-13-2020 at 10:54 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      02-13-2020 10:44 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I don't think it's a comparison so much as an eye opener.

EV sales are a small percentage of total sales in the US, and the fact that number is still greater than manuals sold is astounding.
      Americans are lazy. That's why the automatic was invented in the first place.

But pretty soon manual transmission equipped cars will be theft proof. Which is good, because clutch packs will become unobtanium...
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-13-2020 10:54 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by focusgroup1 View Post
      Just to make sure I wasn't imaging things I went to a half a dozen dealers and inquired about manual versions of mass market
      car that is claimed to be available with manual transmission (nothing said about requiring a special order either) none of these dealers had even ONE of those on the lot. That screams manufacturer is not actually producing them. I also checked using search online on their
      website. Nope, not one manual version in the entire region of the country I live in. Sure no one buys them because the manufacturer isn't making them available.
      They stopped making them because people stopped buying them. It's really just that simple. There's no anti-manual conspiracy.

5. 02-13-2020 10:55 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      They stopped making them because people stopped buying them. It's really just that simple. There's no anti-manual conspiracy.

You can't buy what mfrs won't produce. It's a conspiracy of forcing a higher profit margin.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      02-14-2020 10:04 AM #80
      You can't buy what mfrs won't produce. It's a conspiracy of forcing a higher profit margin.
      You have cause and effect backwards, again. When the manuals were freely available people didn't buy them. So why stock them? Most of you idiots won't buy new cars anyway, even when your kind of car was available, due to some Dave Ramsey-esque feeling of superiority for buying used. So you have no say in what dealers of new cars stock.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

7. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-14-2020 10:29 AM #81
      car that is claimed to be available with manual transmission (nothing said about requiring a special order either) none of these dealers had even one of those on the lot. That screams manufacturer is not actually producing them. I also checked using search online on their
      Please, entertain us.

Which vehicle was it you were searching for?
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      02-14-2020 10:43 AM #82
      Mfrs don't or at least shouldn't produce what people don't buy. Companies looking to operate profitably isn't a conspiracy- it's literally how for profit businesses work.

9. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      02-14-2020 11:09 AM #83
      You guys clearly don't get it.

In order to make up for the lack of Manuel transmissions in their cars, Zee Germans injected more soul into them.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

10. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      02-14-2020 11:14 AM #84
      You took time out of your day to stop by six different car dealerships of the same brand to get the answer that everyone already knows? So are you lying or really in fact that bored?
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      02-14-2020 11:18 AM #85
      Yea I'd love to know what car he was looking at and what dealerships he went to.

Quick Autotrader search yields a ****load of new manual cars near me, covering all budgets and form factors. They are definitely still available and judging by the huge incentives I'm seeing very good value too.

Vehicles
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      02-14-2020 11:23 AM #86
      I tried to look at a Civic Si, twice and neither time they had one that actually existed that I could drive. And they tried funny business like pressuring me to buy something that I haven't even drove much less looked at.

There is obviously a focused effort to make buying a manual as onerous and as a PITA as possible to dis-incentivize it. And most people don't have the time for that (Most of the time I spend months looking for a specific car, in a 250-500mi radius). What if mfrs and dealers were better at serving well-meaning customers?
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      02-14-2020 02:02 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by stiggy-pug View Post
      Too bad hipsters don't dig manual gearboxes.
      If the shifters were crafted in a good selvedge to look skinny, and the shifter knob looked like a PBR tap, maybe...
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      02-14-2020 02:14 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by stiggy-pug View Post

Too bad hipsters don't dig manual gearboxes.
      The lolvo 240 and Ford Falcon beg to differ.
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      02-14-2020 02:20 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      If the shifters were crafted in a good selvedge to look skinny, and the shifter knob looked like a PBR tap, maybe...
      Oh it's been done.

02-14-2020 02:22 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Americans are lazy.
      Yes, that is it. That is why Americans are the most overworked of any developed nation. Because Americans are lazy - that must be how they are working more hours than anyone else.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      02-14-2020 02:24 PM #91
      Americans are lazy.
      How does driving a manual transmission for pleasure equate to being a hard worker? This anti-automatic trope is lazy.

18. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-14-2020 02:33 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      How does driving a manual transmission for pleasure equate to being a hard worker? This anti-automatic trope is lazy.
      Why can't you work hard at being pleasured?
      Instagram - efrie004

maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      02-14-2020 02:37 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      You have cause and effect backwards, again. When the manuals were freely available people didn't buy them. So why stock them? Most of you idiots won't buy new cars anyway, even when your kind of car was available, due to some Dave Ramsey-esque feeling of superiority for buying used. So you have no say in what dealers of new cars stock.
      This seems like the opposite end of the spectrum.. framing used car buyers as idiots and removing from the context any logical reason to buy a used car.

I don't buy new cars because what I can afford to spend on them is reflected in their prices once used, not as new. Otherwise I'd have $200k USD worth of cars that I'd paid for, instead of $100k. So this poorly reasoned argument of yours is that I held on to the extra $100k so that I'd feel superior. That is not logical, at all.

Back on topic.. I bought a car in 2019 that was a manual.. but I'm years away from buying an electric car.

Vehicles
      02-14-2020 02:42 PM #94
      Americans are lazy. That's why the automatic was invented in the first place.
      As I said in an old thread, based off of a Curbside Classic article below, Detroit kept 3 speeds (which were never associated with fun or sportiness) around far too long, into the 1970s! rather than adopting to 4 or 5 speeds like they should have. And 3 (and even 2) speed autos were mechanically superior to a 3 speed manual, especially with an unsyncronized low gear and complex column linkage.

I could be wrong, but if they made an attempt and phased out 3 speeds entirely in the late 50s (instead of relegating full-syncro 4 speeds to the options list) then more of the buying public would have kept with manuals.

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/auto...uals-when-2-3/

21. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      02-14-2020 03:54 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Why can't you work hard at being pleasured?
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

22. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      02-14-2020 03:57 PM #96

23. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-14-2020 04:07 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeJoker View Post
      The numbers speak for themselves, it's a rather large industry.

Instagram - efrie004

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234