VWVortex.com - Battery dying cuz of cold? or...?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Battery dying cuz of cold? or...?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 20th Ani GTI
      02-10-2020 10:39 PM #1
      Yeo dudes, 20th gti 1.8t obv.

Went out a coup weeks ago and my battery was dead, no clicks. Got my autzone Gold free replacement and it was fine for a few days. Let it sit for 2-3 days over a snow storm, weather got to -8_ F here. Went to start it today and same deal as b4, no clicks no cranks really dead battery. I have an LED light bar hooked up, had it for like 4 months tho and no issues so I wanna rule that out. Also recently upgraded my interior and RADIO.. lol so maybe a power draw? Scan for codes came with the o2 codes I had b4, p0141 and p0137.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      02-11-2020 12:15 AM #2
      Definitely a power draw from your upgrade.

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI 1.8T 2DR Manual / B4 Audi Quattro
      02-11-2020 07:17 AM #3
      Mine does the same thing when it gets f u cold. Although I don't have the draw like you do. Anything under 30 deg for a prolonged amount of time and it refuses to start. Once its running its all good after that for the day. So I just keep it on a trickle charger for the really cold nights. This storm we got into the negatives as well. It got so cold the coolant froze. Its so funny to overheat while its in the negatives degrees and both fans running at 70 mph. Got it home and flushed coolant with a much more aggressive antifreeze mix.
      Some people get a mortgage. I buy gti parts.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Cherokee Limited, 2016 Charger R/T, 2018 Pacifica Limited, 2001 Jetta VR6 5MT
      02-11-2020 08:17 AM #4
      Scanning codes isn’t going to tell you a power draw. You need to break your multi meter out. I’ve had to problem starting right up well into the negative teens. You have something killing your battery.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Jetta 1.8T, 90 Corrado G60
      02-11-2020 09:21 AM #5
      I always start with load testing the battery. You need something like this. https://www.amazon.com/OTC-3180-Batt.../dp/B000F5HU6C

Vehicles
      '16 GTI Autobahn PP, 20th Anniversary GTI, '84 Jetta TD, '82 Rabbit Pickup
      02-11-2020 10:13 AM #6
      Since you have a 20th, you have the Monsoon system. When you upgraded the headunit, did you get the correct wiring for the amp? A lot of times, the wiring isn't right and the amp never shuts off like its supposed to after a headunit change. I'd look into that.

But yes, as stated you need a multimeter to help figure out the draw.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The Long Term Resident - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Project/Future Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup, Supercharged ABA
      Hers - '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '15 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 20th Ani GTI
      02-14-2020 11:34 AM #7
      Ahhhhh, I got the new headhunt off Onelove with the VW harness included, possibly the wrong one. I'll listen for the amp turn off/ check out the wiring with a multi m

Vehicles
      98 Jetta Auto 2.0 / 2005 BL GLI Manual 1.8
      02-14-2020 04:33 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by hexvoid View Post
      Ahhhhh, I got the new headhunt off Onelove with the VW harness included, possibly the wrong one. I'll listen for the amp turn off/ check out the wiring with a multi m
      Update with results

Also obligatory pix. I have the same AWP but it's the blue lagoon
      As my grandfather says: Do it right, or do it twice.
      Build thread: 2005.5 LA5W Blue Lagoon MK4 AWP
      Instagram: aglilovestory

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 20th Ani GTI
      02-14-2020 08:13 PM #9
      Well my battery was dead again... got down to-9. How would I go about checking for a draw? where is the amp located ?

Vehicles
      98 Jetta Auto 2.0 / 2005 BL GLI Manual 1.8
      02-14-2020 10:01 PM #10
      Well my battery was dead again... got down to-9. How would I go about checking for a draw? where is the amp located ?
      It's probably the last thing you installed, I would remove it and start there..
      As my grandfather says: Do it right, or do it twice.
      Build thread: 2005.5 LA5W Blue Lagoon MK4 AWP
      Instagram: aglilovestory

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 20th Ani GTI
      02-17-2020 06:51 PM #11
      So I probed the radio a bit, the memory wire and power wire both get 12v even key out... radio can be operated with no key in ignition. any ideas??

14. 02-17-2020 07:47 PM #12
      So I probed the radio a bit, the memory wire and power wire both get 12v even key out... radio can be operated with no key in ignition. any ideas??
      Hard to assess. We have no description of how you hooked up the radio or the light bar. Best bet is to remove both and see if you still have issue. If not then it is one of those things. As stated above pix help when you won't describe in great details the steps you used to hook either of these two items to your car. Best of luck and keep us posted.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 20th Ani GTI
      02-17-2020 08:21 PM #13
      Sorry about the lack of details and pictures, Cant get up pics rn but here's all the details. The light bar has been installed for several months with no issues, it bolts directly to the positive snd negative terminals via the round ends that are tightened on as you tighten the terminals. Never had a battery issue.

now for the radio, I got some custom interior and the radio. Seats and door cards, shifter ebrake. Radio came from OneLove with a vw harness. I Used crimps to connect all the wires, color matched. Afterwards I noticed the DVD player had an ebrake safety that I didn't wire in, so I wired that to an extra brown wire on the vw harness, installed radio and then Thats when the battery issue began. Naturally I got my free replacement from AZ and the issue has proceeded. Im sure the issue is the radio, 12v with the key out is the slow drain but idk how to go about re wiring.

16. 02-17-2020 08:32 PM #14
      Afterwards I noticed the DVD player had an ebrake safety that I didn't wire in, so I wired that to an extra brown wire on the vw harness, installed radio and then Thats when the battery issue began. Naturally I got my free replacement from AZ and the issue has proceeded. Im sure the issue is the radio, 12v with the key out is the slow drain but idk how to go about re wiring.
      I think you know by now what your issue is, not that you wrote down what you did. The extra vrown wire might just be a hot all the time. If you are applying 12v+ to a wire that is expecting 12v+ only when the car is on, then it will keep things on all the time. Check your wiring one more time.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 20th Ani GTI
      02-17-2020 09:34 PM #15
      thats why I'm confused, those wires aren't suppose to be hot all the time, the brown is a Dif story

checking it out again tomm