VWVortex.com - Looking to Pick Up a Used e-golf. What do I need to know?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Looking to Pick Up a Used e-golf. What do I need to know?

1. 02-11-2020 12:39 AM #1
      I’m looking to pick up a used e-golf. It looks like the 2016s with 20k miles or so can be had for the low teens. What should I watch out for? Is there is a reason to avoid any particular model years? All help appreciated!
      Last edited by SoCalWhiteR; 02-11-2020 at 12:41 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-11-2020 03:25 PM #2
      If you play it right you should be able to get a new one for not much more than that. You can play the lease game to get the federal tax credit up front, then buy it out as soon as you want to.

Vehicles
      Hers 12 Tiguan-Mine 14 Jetta Hybrid - Gone [80 Bug, 97 Golf, 98 Jetta, 02 Jetta, 05 GLI, 06 Rabbit]
      02-14-2020 07:26 AM #3
      Avoid any 2015 models as they only have access to schedule your charges through the VW App, and it sucks.

Since you’re going for 2016 try to get one with the Fast charge package or CCS, the connector looks like the below pic, it has two extra terminals on the bottom vs the std J1772 connector. As the name explains it charges much faster when you use it compared the the std 220v charging.

"Light travels faster than sound, this is why people may appear bright until you hear them speak"

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 E-Golf SE (2016 E-Golf SOLD)
      02-14-2020 02:23 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by WagenLoco View Post
      Avoid any 2015 models as they only have access to schedule your charges through the VW App, and it sucks.
      Adding to WagenLoco's comments, 2015's are good if:

1) You don't care about schedule charging AND there's no charging schedules still programmed from the previous owner; AND
      2) You don't care about Android Auto / Apple Carplay

The only advantages of the 2015's are that they're a little cheaper and all come with Level 3 charging. For me, those advantages are not enough over a 2016 SE with quick charge package.

Also, since you're in SoCal, see if the 2016 you're looking at was first registered/white HOV stickered in 2017 or later. If yes, then that vehicle is still eligible for red carpool stickers. Even better is if the vehicle was never issued an HOV sticker at all.
      Last edited by 16e-golf-se; 02-14-2020 at 02:26 PM.