Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What is this? Rust??

1. 02-11-2020 01:29 AM #1

Please examine this picture.

1. Look at the trailer hitch
      2. Look at the two right most mounting screws of the license plate
      3. Look at the license plate frame

1. The trailer hitch appears to have rust in spots. Right? And yet I appear to have rubbed it right off on the right side. The "rust" did not feel like rust that had to be scraped off, this was just wiped (hard) off. And the appearance on the cloth sure looked like rust.
      2. The bottom screw used to look like the top one. The top one looks like its all rusty. And yet, like the trailer hitch, with some elbow grease, I was able to scrape off a layer of "rust" like it had been painted on.
      3. The license plate frame, as well as the SS muffler does not have this same "rust" coating.

What is this stuff? It looks like rust, and yet it doesn't behave like rust getting it off with just a wet paper towel. Why is it only on steel parts?

My wild ass guess is that it is some metal off the road that has been (over time) attracted to metal parts and layered onto these metal parts. Especially the trailer hitch: most trailer hitches are indeed rusted out, and on my other car the paint has definitely come off and it is covered in unremovable rust. But this Ecohitch appears to have intact powder-coat finish.

Anyone know what this is? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-11-2020 01:55 AM #2
      Simply surface rust. Give it more time and it will start to pit and work its way in, not being easily wiped off.

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R, '19 Q7
      02-11-2020 04:21 AM #3
      You should consider the environment your in and level of cleanliness. Dirty a lot and cleaned a lot, etc. Pretty easy to find stainless hardware btw.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      02-11-2020 09:42 AM #4
      Berta fam!

I would guess that the road salt/calcium chloride solution they use here has affected those parts. If it wiped off, it’s just surface rust.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
      2014 Jetta Comfortline | RCD-510 | LED Interior | APR Stage 1 | CTS BOV |

VCDS Owner in Edmonton, Alberta

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW M3; 2015 Golf R; 2018 Audi Q5
      02-11-2020 10:05 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Sp33d View Post
      it’s just surface rust.
      There's no such thing as "just" rust.

Neil

Vehicles
      17 Alltrack SEL, 18 Tiguan SE 4Mo, and 79 F150/ex scirocco, mk4 and mk5 owner
      02-11-2020 10:08 AM #6
      Soon it will look like this.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9. 02-11-2020 01:14 PM #7
      Not trying to argue, since I don't really know, I'm trying to understand.

This to me is surface rust:

We've all seen something like this on cars. My experience with it, is that you can't remove it completely. There's always some of it left.

The "rust" that's on my trailer hitch is completely removable leaving no damage to the powder coat finish (there is no bare metal exposed anywhere). The surface rust that I have experience with is like a spot on bare metal that is exposed through the paint (like the pic above). Similarly, if you look at the stainless steel screws on the license plate: the steel does not have any rust spots on it that cannot be removed - there are no brown spots on it like you normally see with surface rust.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DCC/NAV
      02-11-2020 01:50 PM #8
      Use stainless hardware and hit the hitch with a metal wire brush and then hit it with some POR-15
      2017 OW VW Golf R DCC/NAV
      2004 NFR Honda S2000 Supercharged

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R, '19 Q7
      02-11-2020 02:06 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffnMan View Post
      Use stainless hardware and hit the hitch with a metal wire brush and then hit it with some POR-15
      This

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

12. 02-11-2020 02:23 PM #10
      ? you would only do this if the bare metal is exposed. If I do this on 100% intact powder coat finish, the finish is destroyed - then for sure I am fighting rust issues.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DCC/NAV
      02-11-2020 03:16 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by geeargh View Post
      ? you would only do this if the bare metal is exposed. If I do this on 100% intact powder coat finish, the finish is destroyed - then for sure I am fighting rust issues.
      So what are you asking then?

If it's not rusted then it's not rusted. If it's rusted, wire brush + POR-15 is the course of action.

If it's not rusted just clean the thing.
      2017 OW VW Golf R DCC/NAV
      2004 NFR Honda S2000 Supercharged

14. Member
      Vehicles
      02-12-2020 10:49 AM #12
      Note that POR-15 is not resistant to UV. It's great under the car, not so much where it sees daylight.

Neil

Vehicles
      MKVII Golf R, 991.1 911 C2S
      02-12-2020 11:39 AM #13
      Yeah, that's I-live-in-Alberta freeze/thaw salted road surface rust. Just gotta stay on top of washing as much as you can. You should see what my Golf R looks like, it'd give people here nightmares.
      MKVII Golf R (DSG), 991.1 911 C2S (7 MT)

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Golf R; '14 Outback
      02-12-2020 01:27 PM #14
      looks like some "rust". Those look like either stainless or galvanized fasteners, both of which can still corrode, especially in salty conditions.

Powder coating also isn't perfect. Microscopic pores can still allow some corrosion to occur, again, especially in salty environments.

If that's happening to your tow hitch and screws, imagine what's happening to other components under your car... wash. Even if it feels silly because it gets salty again in a few days... wash it off.

17. 02-12-2020 05:29 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffnMan View Post
      So what are you asking then?

If it's not rusted then it's not rusted. If it's rusted, wire brush + POR-15 is the course of action.

If it's not rusted just clean the thing.
      What am I asking? I am asking "what is this brown stuff that looks like rust, but doesn't behave like rust and where the metal doesn't appear to actually be rusted".

18. 02-12-2020 05:30 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by pnwbrdr View Post
      looks like some "rust". Those look like either stainless or galvanized fasteners, both of which can still corrode, especially in salty conditions.

Powder coating also isn't perfect. Microscopic pores can still allow some corrosion to occur, again, especially in salty environments.

If that's happening to your tow hitch and screws, imagine what's happening to other components under your car... wash. Even if it feels silly because it gets salty again in a few days... wash it off.
      I see. Thanks!!

Vehicles
      17 Alltrack SEL, 18 Tiguan SE 4Mo, and 79 F150/ex scirocco, mk4 and mk5 owner
      02-12-2020 09:16 PM #17
      Like someone said POR15 is great but needs a top coat of good paint. I need to do my hitch on my car as it is starting to actually rust. Did some hangers for my truck and they turned out great. Follow the directions!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      02-12-2020 10:41 PM #18
      What you've described IS exactly like rust. Just because it's not "fused" to the underlying metal does not mean it's not rust. And it doesn't have to be pervasive and all over the place as in the picture you showed that you believe is what surface rust is supposed to look like. Rust is rust is rust. Surface or otherwise.

Some rust that's "new" can indeed come right off but if you leave it untouched it WILL attack the metal underneath leading to bigger problems in the future.

This is indeed rust. No doubt about it.

And remember stainless steel is NOT rustproof. It's stainLESS. It stains (rusts) less than non-stainless steel. Leave a stainless steel pocket knife out in the elements. It will rust, just not necessarily as fast as a plain old steel knife.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      02-13-2020 09:38 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by kevinkar View Post
      And remember stainless steel is NOT rustproof. It's stainLESS. It stains (rusts) less than non-stainless steel. Leave a stainless steel pocket knife out in the elements. It will rust, just not necessarily as fast as a plain old steel knife.
      Stainless steel isn't any one thing; there are different grades for different purposes. So called "marine grade" (not actually an official designation) 316 stainless is more resistant to salt corrosion, as you'd imagine. However commonly found SS fasteners are usually 304 or 303 grades. There are rust resistant with fresh water, but not so much when salt is present.

Neil

22. 02-13-2020 12:15 PM #20
      Thanks for the edjamacation!