Please examine this picture.
1. Look at the trailer hitch
2. Look at the two right most mounting screws of the license plate
3. Look at the license plate frame
1. The trailer hitch appears to have rust in spots. Right? And yet I appear to have rubbed it right off on the right side. The "rust" did not feel like rust that had to be scraped off, this was just wiped (hard) off. And the appearance on the cloth sure looked like rust.
2. The bottom screw used to look like the top one. The top one looks like its all rusty. And yet, like the trailer hitch, with some elbow grease, I was able to scrape off a layer of "rust" like it had been painted on.
3. The license plate frame, as well as the SS muffler does not have this same "rust" coating.
What is this stuff? It looks like rust, and yet it doesn't behave like rust getting it off with just a wet paper towel. Why is it only on steel parts?
My wild ass guess is that it is some metal off the road that has been (over time) attracted to metal parts and layered onto these metal parts. Especially the trailer hitch: most trailer hitches are indeed rusted out, and on my other car the paint has definitely come off and it is covered in unremovable rust. But this Ecohitch appears to have intact powder-coat finish.
Anyone know what this is? Thanks!