VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a car with a specific set of needs under $20k

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '20 RX350F, '17 Volt, '99 GMC Suburban
      02-11-2020 03:23 AM #1
      The Volt has been great so far but will be retired either this month or next. It has served us well so far but with some recent adjustments and changes, we got my wife a larger car and now we need a larger car for myself as well.

Criteria:
      • $20k all-in max. Wife got the nice car, I can work with simple.
      • Needs to reliably cover ~20k miles annually. Assume all maintenance will be kept up to date. I'd like to squeeze out 3-4 years of good service out of it and it have some value after that period.
      • Reasonably spaced back-seat. In the meantime needs to comfortably accommodate a rear-facing infant carrier and will transition to a regular child's car seat with time.
      • Cargo area - has to be a hatch for easy loading. The most critically sized item that I need to carry is a multi-position ladder is 43" long and 20" wide. It can either fit in the long way (in direction of car) or the short way (perpendicular to car) WITHOUT having to drop the rear seats. Other Pelican cases and work bags are easy enough to arrange. When the taller 24' foot ladder is used, seats will be dropped to accommodate the folded ~6ish foot length but that's fairly rare that I need to take the longest one out.
      • Reasonable efficiency for it's size
      • Interior fit and finish that's decent and has some soft touch surfaces.

Those are the most important. Short of going to Carmax and going hatch to hatch, I wanted to see if the TCL collective can point out some models for consideration.

Interesting fact - I dropped in to a Toyota store on the way from a site and the new '20 RAV4 doesn't fit the trunk criteria whereas the previous gen works!

Looking forward to your thoughts and feedback!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-11-2020 04:17 AM #2
      Newest CX5 that fits the budget.

4. 02-11-2020 04:29 AM #3
      Wayy under 20k

Vehicles
      1992 Miata, 2001 VW GTI, 2018 A6, SQ5
      02-11-2020 05:29 AM #4
      Less than $20K with TTL in California puts you just a bit over $18K selling price. Wanting to drive it 80K miles in four years almost requires a new car or used with a few miles, 43" trunk depth is harder to meet.

How about a Golf SportWagen? Searching can find new 2019 examples for $18.1K which meets the price point, certainly it has the depth to the ladder in the cargo area.

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      02-11-2020 07:08 AM #5
      Used CX-5 or Golf Sportwagen

Vehicles
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      02-11-2020 07:26 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      The trunk is a bit on the smaller side in those, at least compared to the previous generation Rav4. Edit - the CX-5 is supposed to be 41" wide between the wheel wells and about 31" deep, so it might work, depending.

What about a few-year-old nicely optioned Santa Fe Sport (the 2 row)? You may even be able to get a lightly used current generation for your budget. I'd think you would need something in that middle ground or go for an Outback or some other non-compact wagon. CX-9 Tourings are starting to get to that price point as well. Or just go full 3-row and leave the rear seats down. That opens up a lot. Highlander, MDX, etc. Having more than enough space is nice.

I like the Carmax idea though.
      Last edited by Samson; 02-11-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Vehicles
      Civic/Civic Allroad
      02-11-2020 07:39 AM #7
      A civic hatch cargo area is more than 43' wide but not between the wheel wells. So depending on how you want the ladder to fit it may or may not work.

Vehicles
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      02-11-2020 08:38 AM #8
      Sportwagen is my easy choice, with the space you need.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '00 GTI 1.8t
      02-11-2020 08:41 AM #9
      All of the people suggesting compact cars are amusing. The ladder with seats up is the hard part. CUVs are tall but short, wagons are low and long.

Here you go, OP:

Found on Autotrader for $19,991

Of say F-it, get a Suburban and take any damn thing you want with you.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      02-11-2020 08:51 AM #10
      Need to carry a ladder? There’s an E9x for that:

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      02-11-2020 09:23 AM #11
      Highlander hybrid

13. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      02-11-2020 10:23 AM #12
      Minivan
      Is
      Always
      The
      Answer

Toyota if you want money out of it when you're done, Pacifica if you want something that feels/drives nicer, but you'll lose your shirt.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-11-2020 10:43 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      Depending on how tall he/his wife are, might not work with a rear facing child seat which is ridiculous.

If crossovers are OK, pretty much any smaller mainstream midsizer with a planetary gearbox (Highlander, Sorento, Edge, Acadia?) should do the trick.

Car wise.... I think you can get an A7 for $20K, but I wouldn't trust a $20K A7 for 60-80K pain free miles.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      02-11-2020 10:49 AM #14
      CX-5 is no go. I've not so great luck with Mazda before in the past and don't want to go down that road again. Roof rack is not an option - just too cumbersome to deal with a few times a day when necessary. Station wagons could be the way to go.

Regarding VW - there's the Jetta Sportwagen (thru 2014 mainly seeing TDI), Golf Sportwagen (TSI and TDI), and Alltrack (TSI). Most are old enough to be out of any warranty except the different TDI warranties. Does anyone have any of these handy to measure out the interior cargo space dimensions? Also - thoughts on how these would hold up with such high use-cases?

Lastly, value after 3 years. Let's use easy numbers for argument sake with some baseline numbers from AutoTrader. '17 RAV4 XLE with about 40k miles is about $18k. '17 Golf Sportwagen with about 40k miles is about $17k (TSI or TDI on average). '14 Jetta Sportwagen with about 40k is $15k. In 3 years time with my use, which would be expected to hold up better, have a higher resale, and ease of resale?

16. Member
      02-11-2020 10:52 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      The trunk is a bit on the smaller side in those, at least compared to the previous generation Rav4. Edit - the CX-5 is supposed to be 41" wide between the wheel wells and about 31" deep, so it might work, depending.

What about a few-year-old nicely optioned Santa Fe Sport (the 2 row)? You may even be able to get a lightly used current generation for your budget. I'd think you would need something in that middle ground or go for an Outback or some other non-compact wagon. CX-9 Tourings are starting to get to that price point as well. Or just go full 3-row and leave the rear seats down. That opens up a lot. Highlander, MDX, etc. Having more than enough space is nice.

I like the Carmax idea though.
      We looked at these. Despite how big they look, the back seat room for a reverse car seat left the front passenger nearly in the dash. The CX-5 had more room and they aren't exactly known for that.

Vehicles
      '19 Regal Sportback, 18 Rogue, '17 Jetta SE, & '90 Corrado G60
      02-11-2020 11:06 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      All of the people suggesting compact cars are amusing. The ladder with seats up is the hard part. CUVs are tall but short, wagons are low and long.

Here you go, OP:

Found on Autotrader for $19,991

Of say F-it, get a Suburban and take any damn thing you want with you.
      This all day - I have the sportback version of this and it is a FANTASTIC car.

Definitely look at the TourX as they're super cheap compared to others in the class and quite reliable
      2013 Golf R - VWR Intake - Unitronic Stage 2HPFP - SPM TurboBack Exhaust - Autotech Fuel Pump - More to Come
      All mods have been approved and endorsed by Accidental L8 apex

02-11-2020 11:10 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      Minivan
      Is
      Always
      The
      Answer

Toyota if you want money out of it when you're done, Pacifica if you want something that feels/drives nicer, but you'll lose your shirt.
      x2. I’d choose Pacifica. They drive well, have a nice interior with the best media system in the business (UConnect, way better than VW’s system), and are surprisingly efficient over long distances. I’ve had great experiences renting them, and couldn’t believe the MPG I was getting on the last one I rented. They’re better than many luxury SUVs in so many ways.
      2018 Fiat 500e
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 quattro manual
      2006 Lotus Exige

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      02-11-2020 11:11 AM #18
      WIATA? Wagon is always the answer.

As a previous field engineer that carried two Pelican 1510s and a collapsible ladder all over the US in a multitude of cars and vans:

-Cool and useful car: Wagon
      -Actually useful: Transit Connect (or similar)
      -Prius
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      02-11-2020 11:12 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by kickapoo View Post
      Regarding VW - there's the Jetta Sportwagen (thru 2014 mainly seeing TDI), Golf Sportwagen (TSI and TDI), and Alltrack (TSI). Most are old enough to be out of any warranty except the different TDI warranties. Does anyone have any of these handy to measure out the interior cargo space dimensions? Also - thoughts on how these would hold up with such high use-cases?
      Being a CA resident I doubt you can delete the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter).

Long term it would be my only worry as I've read high mileage owners having to replace these and the dealer costs measured in thousands.

02-11-2020 11:17 AM #20
      How about an extended cab Toyota Tacoma with a tonneau cover?

Perhaps you could justify stretching your budget up to 25k knowing that the depreciation would be almost nothing when you're done with it after 4 years.

Vehicles
      '19 Odyssey, '19 Macan, '06 Solstice
      02-11-2020 11:34 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      -Prius
      Maybe the larger Prius V model?

Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post

Perhaps you could justify stretching your budget up to 25k knowing that the depreciation would be almost nothing when you're done with it after 4 years.
      I second this suggestion.

I don't think it'll fit your cargo spec but the Kia Soul is a solid bang for the buck proposition. Thrifty, transferable 10 year 100k warranty, decent interior materials, lots of standard kit, KISS powertrain, hatch, and new or used good values in my opinion.

Vehicles
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      02-11-2020 11:42 AM #22
      I kinda like the Buick idea. Looks like a nice, plush, refined cruiser. Not sure how resale will be at 80K plus miles though...
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      02-11-2020 05:14 PM #23

There’s no way a rear facing infant seat will fit in an extended cab Tacoma. Also, the stupid doors creak like crazy on extended cab Tacos, double cab or bust.

Vehicles
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      02-11-2020 05:25 PM #24
      Here you go. $12k less than your max ($7,995), only 78k miles and can probably do your 20k miles/year with ease for the next few years. The cheapest Golf Sportwagen out there and it happens to be in SoCal (Burbank). And there's a bonus: Они говорят по-русски .

https://mdk-global.com/2015-Volkswag...-91504/6570254
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      02-11-2020 05:31 PM #25

Extended cab is too small for a useable backseat. Double cab, however, is not a bad idea and a tonneua cover/shell would hide and protect all of the relevant items. That Tacoma premium tax though is bonkers...can't believe they're still in the $20k range for almost 10 year old models...at that price range, any reason not to look at the 4Runner of similar vintage? Photos don't make the cargo area look all that large though.

Prius and Prius V are not bad ideas - I'll need to get those sized out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast