VWVortex.com - R or GTI?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R or GTI?

1. 02-11-2020 01:35 PM #1
      Looking to get a new daily driver. It痴 more than likely going to be a Golf with DCT. I planning on tracking it to to three times per year. With the discounts available in my area currently we are at $7600 more for a R than a comparably equipped GTI autobahn. Is it worth the extra money? The money isn稚 an issue I知 just not sure if the difference makes the GTI a better idea. I知 an advance/instructor track driver, but I thought I was done with tracking and sold my race car a year and a half ago. Now I just wanna get on the track and have fun, not looking to set record lap times.

Thoughts?
      Last edited by mgolding; 02-11-2020 at 01:39 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DCC/NAV
      02-11-2020 01:47 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by mgolding View Post
      Looking to get a new daily driver. It痴 more than likely going to be a Golf with DCT. I planning on tracking it to to three times per year. With the discounts available in my area currently we are at $7600 more for a R than a comparably equipped GTI autobahn. Is it worth the extra money? The money isn稚 an issue I知 just not sure if the difference makes the GTI a better idea. I知 an advance/instructor track driver, but I thought I was done with tracking and sold my race car a year and a half ago. Now I just wanna get on the track and have fun, not looking to set record lap times.

Thoughts?
      You are asking the Golf R section of a VW centric forum whether you should get a Golf R or not.

There are tons of reviews comparing the two, I'd recommend doing a search before beating a dead horse

https://www.vwvortex.com/features/20...hot-hatch-buy/

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-vs-Golf-R-MK7

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...vs-used-Golf-R

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...GTI-vs-stock-R

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...by-the-numbers
      2017 OW VW Golf R DCC/NAV
      2004 NFR Honda S2000 Supercharged

4. Member
      02-11-2020 03:02 PM #3

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 02-11-2020 03:15 PM #4
      I don't track but I opted for the increased performance and the AWD...was tired of torque steer (FWD cars-Acura TL/Honda Civic) and the front wheel slippage in bad weather/snow.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R w/DCC
      02-11-2020 03:49 PM #5
      In your shoes OP, I'd get the GTI PP, take the money saved and put it into things like a bigger intercooler, upgraded brakes (fluids, pads), track wheels/tires and track time.
      2017 DCC 6MT Lapiz Blue - APR Intake, AEM dry flow filter, APR DP, IE IC, RS7 plugs, Fluidampr Pulley, SB stage 3 daily, CTS turbo blanket, 034 Motor mounts, 034 dogbone insert, 034 rear subframe inserts, EM Lowering Springs, EM RSB. Cobb AP and Custom Drift Office Tune making 355whp/390wtq on 92 pump gas.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      MK7.5 R
      02-11-2020 05:03 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by scmarchy View Post
      In your shoes OP, I'd get the GTI PP, take the money saved and put it into things like a bigger intercooler, upgraded brakes (fluids, pads), track wheels/tires and track time.
      I was tired of waiting for the availability of the 18 R, so I followed this line of thinking - picked up an 18 GTI (all had performance package at this point). About a year later and before I got deep into any mods, I aborted, ate depreciation and picked up the R.

On the street, in my use case (mostly urban commuting in a hilly area), it was wheelspin and wheelhop city. Got a little old, doubly so in the rain. Never got stuck in the snow, but did have to take alternate routes even with full snows on.

I'm sure on track it would've been fine and at speed, the difference between an R and GTI disappears. But if 0-45 acceleration is a consideration, it's no contest.

These threads are indeed legion and boil down to preference and use case. Also, stick true to what you want. If you're hesitant about FWD, just get the R.

Also to OP - coming from a BMW? It's called DSG over here.

9. 02-11-2020 05:42 PM #7
      Thanks for all the answers. I have read lots of reviews I was just hoping that someone on here maybe had experience with both models and the track. I was looking for real world experience. I haven稚 had a front wheel drive car in over 20 years, but I知 not opposed to learning a new style of track driving, in fact I知 kind of looking forward to it. I知 leaning towards the GTI, but I知 wondering if I知 going to be saying I should I got the R as I drove off the showroom floor.

10. Member
      02-11-2020 07:16 PM #8
      Thanks for all the answers. I have read lots of reviews I was just hoping that someone on here maybe had experience with both models and the track. I was looking for real world experience. I haven稚 had a front wheel drive car in over 20 years, but I知 not opposed to learning a new style of track driving, in fact I知 kind of looking forward to it. I知 leaning towards the GTI, but I知 wondering if I知 going to be saying I should I got the R as I drove off the showroom floor.
      Where do you live? If you ever have snow the R is a no brainier.

In terms of track ive never driven a GTI on track but I track my R regularly and have nothing but good things to say. It rockets out of corners and is mad stable.

Vehicles
      MKVII Golf R, 991.1 911 C2S
      02-11-2020 09:10 PM #9
      If this weren't a winter beater and I lived somewhere that didn't experience winter, I'd save the money and go with a GTI. But, then, if I didn't have winter, I'd just drive a sports car year-round
      MKVII Golf R (DSG), 991.1 911 C2S (7 MT)

12. Member
      02-11-2020 09:53 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by koala View Post
      If this weren't a winter beater and I lived somewhere that didn't experience winter, I'd save the money and go with a GTI. But, then, if I didn't have winter, I'd just drive a sports car year-round
      1st world problems

Vehicles
      MKVII Golf R, 991.1 911 C2S
      02-12-2020 11:40 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Crild View Post
      1st world problems

Absolutely
      MKVII Golf R (DSG), 991.1 911 C2S (7 MT)

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Golf R; '14 Outback
      02-12-2020 12:57 PM #12
      The Golf R is ready for the track. The GTI is less ready. You could pull it off, but you'll be modifying more things.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-GTI-Internals

If you're already experienced with the track, I think you'd likely find the R is the better choice.

Vehicles
      '19 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coup
      02-12-2020 01:27 PM #13
      Savagegeese reviewed the GTI first, then the R, and came to some conclusions as to why the R was his choice...

Check that out and then find his GTI review for reference if you want to dig that deep.

My take: GTI is a great car for the money, and if money is a concern, a no-brainer choice. But if money is NOT a concern - it's R, all the way. Good luck!

'19 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coup

Vehicles
      2019 GOLF R Oryx White DSG
      02-12-2020 06:38 PM #14
      If money is not a problem then get the Golf R.

i owned a 2015 GTI SE and upgraded to a 2019 GOLF R.

Nothing is wrong with the GTI but GOLF R is simply the better car. The wheel options are much nicer and I have to admit it does feel good to know you have that extra performance even if you never use it.

WRX or STI? STI
      CIVIC SI vs Type R. TYPE R
      BMW 340 or M3. M3 of course

There is a reason why the manufacturers put them into cost tiers.

It's nice taking off briskly and not having to worry about wheelspin.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Magma Orange 2019 Golf R
      02-13-2020 05:53 PM #15
      GTIs are a dime a dozen. If you want to have something special, that would be the R.

18. 02-13-2020 06:06 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by geh View Post
      GTIs are a dime a dozen. If you want to have something special, that would be the R.
      I've got this for something special already,

After much thought, what I am looking for is a nice daily driver that I can have fun on track with, not a track car that I can daily drive. I'm leaning towards the GTI for now.

19. 02-13-2020 06:07 PM #17
      and yes, I know I should just track the GT3, but its just too expensive to risk on the track. Maybe next year when its 2 years old.

20. 02-13-2020 06:14 PM #18
      still would get the R...$7600 price difference is not even a rounding error...

21. Member
      02-13-2020 06:46 PM #19
      and yes, I know I should just track the GT3, but its just too expensive to risk on the track. Maybe next year when its 2 years old.
      Lol? Another garage queen owner.

22. 02-13-2020 07:23 PM #20
      No, it gets regularly driven, just not tracked. I'm an airline pilot and drive to work once per week on average. I alternate between this, my 1990 300zx and whatever daily I have based on weather and traffic at drive times, and which car is dirty. If the porsche is the dirty car that week, it goes to the airport.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R w/DCC
      02-13-2020 07:46 PM #21

After much thought, what I am looking for is a nice daily driver that I can have fun on track with, not a track car that I can daily drive. I'm leaning towards the GTI for now.
      pardon my french, by why the **** don't you take THAT to the track?
      2017 DCC 6MT Lapiz Blue - APR Intake, AEM dry flow filter, APR DP, IE IC, RS7 plugs, Fluidampr Pulley, SB stage 3 daily, CTS turbo blanket, 034 Motor mounts, 034 dogbone insert, 034 rear subframe inserts, EM Lowering Springs, EM RSB. Cobb AP and Custom Drift Office Tune making 355whp/390wtq on 92 pump gas.

24. Member
      02-13-2020 07:50 PM #22
      No, it gets regularly driven, just not tracked. I'm an airline pilot and drive to work once per week on average. I alternate between this, my 1990 300zx and whatever daily I have based on weather and traffic at drive times, and which car is dirty. If the porsche is the dirty car that week, it goes to the airport.
      What a waste of 150k. I know about 8 gt3 owners personally and 95% of all their mileage is on track. You buy one to track it, you buy a 911s or gts for a street driver.

25. 02-13-2020 08:58 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by scmarchy View Post
      pardon my french, by why the **** don't you take THAT to the track?
      I will eventually. Its still too new and I owe too much on it to mess it up at the track. I'm not worried about a mishap, just wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Crild View Post
      What a waste of 150k. I know about 8 gt3 owners personally and 95% of all their mileage is on track. You buy one to track it, you buy a 911s or gts for a street driver.

to each his own. I'm not hear to debate that. A nicely equipped GTS is about the same price. Before this, I had 2 991.1S and a GT4. Even on the street, the GT3 gives me much more enjoyment, especially in the north Georgia mountains. Maybe your GT3 owner friends make significantly more than I do and its a disposable toy to them, like the GTI will be to me.

26. Member
      02-13-2020 09:12 PM #24
      I will eventually. Its still too new and I owe too much on it to mess it up at the track. I'm not worried about a mishap, just wear and tear.

Lol?

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      18 VW GTI-AB DSG
      02-13-2020 09:52 PM #25

Congrats on the GT3, whatever you do with it...track, daily, stare at in driveway. Sweet car and love the black. Funny guys here, tracking that ain稚 like tracking a R or GTI or any 渡ormal car.

Anyway, the GTI is a fun little car in daily, haven稚 tracked mine yet and probably won稚, but it is fun. You probably will want to change the stock tires out immediately and with your experience, however. I also drove a R and liked it a lot, but got a killer deal on the GTI and for a daily, couldn稚 justify the price diff as it痴 a 3rd car. If you are only going to track 2-3 times a year, I personally would save the $$ and go GTI. Drive them both and get a feel...with your experience, I知 sure you値l know which one to go with in about 5 minutes. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast