VWVortex.com - Haldex question - is this normal
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Haldex question - is this normal

1. 02-11-2020 04:22 PM #1
      Quick question regarding the AWD system on the Golf R. Full disclosure, never owned an AWD vehicle before so it is possible I don't know what to expect. I have a 2019 6MT Golf R that has not really had any traction issues in my moderate driving, including on snow (i.e. no stability lights). However, I had some difficulty getting out of a steep, snow and ice covered driveway last weekend. My car is fitted with dedicated snow tires I took from my prior GTI. On attempting to power through, I got a ton of wheel spin, but only on the front wheels, not all 4 as I expected. This was with the stability and traction control turned off, vehicle in 1st gear. I checked for codes in OBDEleven but nothing was faulted. I haven't had any wheel spin from a stop on the streets either which occasionally happened with the GTI I owned. Is there any easy way to check that the Haldex pump and clutch system is engaging or do I need to bring the car into the dealership for them to inspect? I usually like to have some idea of potential issues before bringing in a car on a potential warranty claim. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R
      02-11-2020 06:30 PM #2
      Off the top of my head, I would just attempt a “launch” in the snow. Have someone film with a slow motion camera. You should see the rear wheels engaging in the film after.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
      2014 Jetta Comfortline | RCD-510 | LED Interior | APR Stage 1 | CTS BOV |

VCDS Owner in Edmonton, Alberta

Vehicles
      MKVII Golf R, 991.1 911 C2S
      02-11-2020 09:06 PM #3
      Your haldex clutch or pump might have failed. Mine did, was replaced under warranty.

To diagnose, just need all four wheels off the ground, apply throttle and see if all four wheels spin. If it's just the front wheels, you know it's toast.

Two threads with more info:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ights-or-codes

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...grinding-noise

edit - I knew mine was toast when I tried to purposefully do donuts and would get a horrible blow-off valve sort of sound coming from the rear of the car, and the car trying to understeer into oblivion
      MKVII Golf R (DSG), 991.1 911 C2S (7 MT)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R, '19 Q7
      02-12-2020 12:11 AM #4
      Do a service first, please. Clean screen, etc.

Soooooo many people do that and all of a sudden, awd worky. Instead of jumping to it's failed. Like crank walk, it's les than 10% of some 70k+vehicles sold

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

7. 02-12-2020 06:47 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      Do a service first, please. Clean screen, etc.

Soooooo many people do that and all of a sudden, awd worky. Instead of jumping to it's failed. Like crank walk, it's les than 10% of some 70k+vehicles sold

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      ^ change the fluid and clean the screen. The sooner the better. Let it go for to long and other components could fail.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW M3; 2015 Golf R; 2018 Audi Q5
      02-12-2020 11:07 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by koala View Post
      To diagnose, just need all four wheels off the ground, apply throttle and see if all four wheels spin. If it's just the front wheels, you know it's toast.
      Wet clutch packs like that in the Haldex have quite a lot of "stiction". Even if the clutch isn't getting clamping pressure, I'd still expect the rear wheels to turn when under no load like that.

Neil

Vehicles
      MKVII Golf R, 991.1 911 C2S
      02-12-2020 11:30 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by NeilCM View Post
      Wet clutch packs like that in the Haldex have quite a lot of "stiction". Even if the clutch isn't getting clamping pressure, I'd still expect the rear wheels to turn when under no load like that.

Neil
      Well, mine didn't

That is how the dealer chose to diagnose my complaint. It got me a new haldex, so that's good enough for my purposes.
      MKVII Golf R (DSG), 991.1 911 C2S (7 MT)

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf R
      02-12-2020 02:44 PM #8
      Yeah - had mine replaced. But do the service and see if the screen is clogged. Mine had about 30k on when it went.

11. 02-12-2020 04:33 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by shapptastic View Post
      Quick question regarding the AWD system on the Golf R. Full disclosure, never owned an AWD vehicle before so it is possible I don't know what to expect. I have a 2019 6MT Golf R that has not really had any traction issues in my moderate driving, including on snow (i.e. no stability lights). However, I had some difficulty getting out of a steep, snow and ice covered driveway last weekend. My car is fitted with dedicated snow tires I took from my prior GTI. On attempting to power through, I got a ton of wheel spin, but only on the front wheels, not all 4 as I expected. This was with the stability and traction control turned off, vehicle in 1st gear. I checked for codes in OBDEleven but nothing was faulted. I haven't had any wheel spin from a stop on the streets either which occasionally happened with the GTI I owned. Is there any easy way to check that the Haldex pump and clutch system is engaging or do I need to bring the car into the dealership for them to inspect? I usually like to have some idea of potential issues before bringing in a car on a potential warranty claim. Thanks.
      Considering you have a 2019 model and mileage is likely low, the chances of a clogged pump should be quite low and unlikely.
      For one, if you are still in warranty, don't wait and take it in. Unless you have a tuned Haldex, you should have warranty on it even if tuned otherwise.
      Haldex function on Snow should be easy to diagnose and is the only near stock way of doing anything close to doughnuts.

If you have OBDEleven or VCDS, try doing a Pump Prime Adaptation. You'll hear the pump whine from the drivers seat if you open the door to hear it. If no sound is made, your pump is defective.