VWVortex.com - Automatic high beams....is this a new trend?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Automatic high beams....is this a new trend?

Vehicles
      '16 F150 5.0 S/C, '18 Honda Goldwing, '18 CX-5
      02-12-2020 03:20 PM #1
      So out on patrol the other night traveling down a 2 lane road. Notice the car behind me flashes the high beams. Ok, so if it happens once I chalk it up to an accident. Then it happens a couple more times. They weren't that close to me but the high beams were definitely flashed. At this point I think they are trying to get my attention for any of a number a reasons. I pull over but the car drives by me. You may have guessed, at this point I conduct a traffic stop on the vehicle.

It was a 2018 Corolla. Apparently it has automatic high beams and I guess it was dark enough that the car felt it was time to turn them on. She knew exactly why I was stopping her when I did. She had to keep turning them off. We both agreed the system was new and could stand some reprogramming to be more effective and not bother other drivers.

I hadn't heard of cars with this before and we have 2 well equipped '18 CX-5's with all of the typical safety features. Is this some attempt by Toyota at correcting the "fail to dim" high beams we all encounter too often with people?
      '16 F150 5.0 S/C, '18 Honda Goldwing

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      02-12-2020 03:21 PM #2
      It's been around for a while - my 2015 GTI had them. I found them to be very useful and the programming was spot on 99% of the time.

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      02-12-2020 03:24 PM #3
      Not new, but becoming more widely available. Wasn't aware Corolla's had the option. Terrible idea given how poorly their headlights perform from the perspective of anyone that isn't inside the vehicle.

I'm curious how far the other driver was behind you, and also whether the flashing coincided with a driver going the opposite direction of traffic.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Vehicles
      2005 GLI, 2012 GLI
      02-12-2020 03:28 PM #4
      My wife's 2018 Equinox has them and I think they suck most of the time. I feel they stay on too long when other cars are approaching us, especially if a car is on a side road, and they don't turn back on soon enough after a car has passed us. Fortunately in the Equinox at least they are easy to turn off and on.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      REALLY gave up and bought an Outback
      02-12-2020 03:32 PM #5
      My '20 Outback I just ditched had every automatic system/driver's aid known to man, and I found the implementation of all of them was mediocre at best. First car I've had with that stuff, and I will be avoiding it for a while until they get much better.

The Lane Keep Assist almost off-ed me multiple times like that poor guy in the Tesla in Silicon Valley. The auto high beams couldn't handle reflective road signs and the common courtesy habits of drivers on extremely rural/high-speed two-lanes. The Lane Departure Warning chimed if you so much as looked at a stripe on the road. Even with two hands on the wheel the car frequently muted the radio and yelled at me to "Keep hands on steering wheel!!!"

The amount of times that car swerved/jerked/braked too hard/flashed lights at people got obscene. If an officer ever pulled me over I would know exactly why, too. Not to mention the LED headlights were aimed too high from the factory, I got flashed by 90% of cars on two-lane highways at night even though I'm obsessively courteous with light etiquette and the car had auto high beams. Sure, you can take your brand new car apart and re-aim them, but Subaru denied that this was an issue.

Honestly, one of the nicest/highest tech cars I've ever been in. But the tech was too much for me.

7. 02-12-2020 03:36 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      Not new, but becoming more widely available. Wasn't aware Corolla's had the option.
      Quote Originally Posted by shftat6 View Post
      It was a 2018 Corolla. Apparently it has automatic high beams and I guess it was dark enough that the car felt it was time to turn them on. She knew exactly why I was stopping her when I did. She had to keep turning them off. We both agreed the system was new and could stand some reprogramming to be more effective and not bother other drivers.

I hadn't heard of cars with this before and we have 2 well equipped '18 CX-5's with all of the typical safety features. Is this some attempt by Toyota at correcting the "fail to dim" high beams we all encounter too often with people?
      Almost all the toyotas have auto high beams standard now since it is part of the "safety sense" camera.
      https://www.toyota.com/safety-sense/animation/lta

And if you have a 2018 CX-5 with safety tech, then you have auto high beams. It is included on Touring/Grand Touring, and it is part of the i-active sense pkg on sport.
      Last edited by ice4life; 02-12-2020 at 03:41 PM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Caddy - 1984 Cabby
      02-12-2020 03:37 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by shftat6 View Post

I hadn't heard of cars with this before and we have 2 well equipped '18 CX-5's with all of the typical safety features.
      That's strange, our 2017 CX-5 has auto highbeams

9. Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1961 Ferrari 250 GT California
      02-12-2020 03:38 PM #8
      Both my BMW and Audi require you to enable the auto-hi-beam every time you re-start the car.

So there's no reason for them to accidentally start flashing people.
      I unbanned Patrikman.

I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

Then I got demoted.

02-12-2020 03:41 PM #9
      They've hit the mainstream in big numbers in the last few years since they've been bundled with other safety gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      Both my BMW and Audi require you to enable the auto-hi-beam every time you re-start the car.

Yep. To be honest I've only liked them in high end cars. They're much more judicious in their usage of the high beams.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

11. 02-12-2020 03:42 PM #10

VAG allows coding which leaves them on upon restart. I did it and don't regret it- especially with dynamic light assist.

Vehicles
      2008 VW Passat 3.6l 4motion
      02-12-2020 03:50 PM #11
      My father had a 1956 Cadillac Coupe DeVille that had automatic high beams. Cadillac called it a "Magic Eye". It could be turned off and it's sensitivity was adjustable.
      2008 Passat VR6 3.6 4Motion Wagon, 2010 MINI Cooper S, Dnepr MT-16 motorcycle

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      02-12-2020 03:52 PM #12
      Imagine having to move your left hand three inches to push a stalk forward... Crazy

Vehicles
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      02-12-2020 03:55 PM #13
      I've disabled that function on my last 2 cars. More awkward situations than helpful ones, and a solution to a problem I've never had in the first place.

Vehicles
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      02-12-2020 03:55 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by johntesi View Post
      My '20 Outback I just ditched had every automatic system/driver's aid known to man, and I found the implementation of all of them was mediocre at best. First car I've had with that stuff, and I will be avoiding it for a while until they get much better.

The Lane Keep Assist almost off-ed me multiple times like that poor guy in the Tesla in Silicon Valley. The auto high beams couldn't handle reflective road signs and the common courtesy habits of drivers on extremely rural/high-speed two-lanes. The Lane Departure Warning chimed if you so much as looked at a stripe on the road. Even with two hands on the wheel the car frequently muted the radio and yelled at me to "Keep hands on steering wheel!!!"

The amount of times that car swerved/jerked/braked too hard/flashed lights at people got obscene. If an officer ever pulled me over I would know exactly why, too. Not to mention the LED headlights were aimed too high from the factory, I got flashed by 90% of cars on two-lane highways at night even though I'm obsessively courteous with light etiquette and the car had auto high beams. Sure, you can take your brand new car apart and re-aim them, but Subaru denied that this was an issue.

Honestly, one of the nicest/highest tech cars I've ever been in. But the tech was too much for me.
      My '19 Ascent has all of those same features and you can turn every one of them off.

There are multiple reasons why this can happen but I know I have had them on and if a car goes slightly over a hill where it can't see the bottom taillights it will turn on then turn off as they come back into view. I know mine seem to default to off and I really only turn them on on real rural roads and not something a back road where I know I'll see lots of cars.
      Blue Subaru Ascent Touring is in the Garage!
      My YouTube Channel please subscribe and give feedback!
      Reviews and How to Videos
      Ascent Oil Change (Fumoto Valve Install)

16. 02-12-2020 03:58 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      It's been around for a while - my 2015 GTI had them. I found them to be very useful and the programming was spot on 99% of the time.
      Must have been a Canadian thing. VW didnt get it until 2017 in the states

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '00 GTI 1.8t
      02-12-2020 04:00 PM #16
      Our 2019 Accord has them and I've activated them accidentally a couple of times - I didn't know it was a thing and didn't know why the high beams were coming on. Most of my night time driving is on lighted and heavily traveled streets, so high beams are rarely necessary. For the times when I am driving on dark and lonely roads, I'm capable of turning them on and off myself.

I want to start a thread about nanny features people aren't using. I've shut off lane departure on mine and rarely use lane keep assist.

Vehicles
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      02-12-2020 04:01 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Imagine having to move your left hand three inches to push a stalk forward... Crazy
      I think the real benefit is that it'll protect the retinas of society from all of the future morons who drive their Civics and Corollas with brights on all the time (seems to always be these).

Our Rav4 has this feature. It works OK. The high beams aren't much better than the horrible low beams though... thanks for reminding me that I'm too cheap for the trim with the slightly better blinding LEDs, Toyota.
      Last edited by Samson; 02-12-2020 at 04:12 PM.

19. Member
      02-12-2020 04:02 PM #18
      My Jetta has them; one time I accidentally hit the stalk forward, and turned on the auto high beams. When I was driving down the street, approaching the exit of my neighborhood, they flashed at a Cayenne that was going the opposite direction, who proceeded to get pissed and flash them back at me. I now make sure that the auto high beams are off. I don't want to be like those obnoxious redneck jackholes in a jacked-up (insert any American muscle car or truck here) that drive with their high beams on to intimidate people.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Volvo XC60
      02-12-2020 04:04 PM #19

Same for my Volvo. I only activate the system on dark two-lane roads with very little traffic--basically situations where I might be running high beams myself anyway. So I kind of use the system to help me turn the high-beams off when necessary, not the other way around (which is "turning them on whenever the system feels it should"). If I encounter any sustained traffic or if there are cars in front of me I'll just turn the whole system off to eliminate any false positives.

That does sound like the safety systems are implemented in an intrusive way.

Also quoting because I'm curious what you decided to trade it for
      Last edited by DubyaV; 02-12-2020 at 04:07 PM.

21. 02-12-2020 04:07 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Dunno how it is out there on the left coast, but around here, lots of people haven't got the sense to either (A) turn lights on at all when it's dark, or (B) if they do turn their lights on, switch them to dipped beam.

(A) is largely due to so many vehicles having fully lit instrument clusters all the time, thus removing the traditional reminder to turn one's lights on. Lots of people don't appear to know what the little green "lights on" indicator is for. (Transport Canada is fixing this for next year - changing the motor vehicle safety standard - but it won't affect the bazillions of vehicles that are already on the road with fully lit instruments all the time.)

(B) is mostly ignorance.

And YES, it would help if the cops pulled over and ticketed EVERY vehicle observed driving around in the dark without their taillights on (situation A), or failing to dip beams when there is oncoming traffic ... that's the only way some of these people will get the message.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      02-12-2020 04:09 PM #21
      Dang, accidentally lost my post when I edited.

Ours has it but I don't use it since we mostly drive in the well-lit city and it goes on and off a lot and blinds people in parking lots and on the side of the road. Out in the country, it takes about half a second too long to dip the high beams when an oncoming car crests a hill, and it gets confused about distant lights and reflective traffic signs. It switches to low beams, then takes too long to flip the high beams back on.

I try to be cognizant of it because unlike a halogen high beam which can be rather annoying, it's physically painful to experience the full power of these LEDs.

My '20 Outback I just ditched
      What'd you get?
      Last edited by adrew; 02-12-2020 at 04:20 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf
      02-12-2020 04:14 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      It's been around for a while...
      Yeah, OP is a little behind the times there.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      02-12-2020 04:16 PM #23
      The new to me MDX I just got my wife has the auto highbeams and they work really well on the freeway, but they're not sensitive enough for backroads. I wonder if there's a way I can adjust the sensitivity.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      02-12-2020 04:16 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      I think the real benefit is that it'll protect the retinas of society from all of the future morons who drive their Civics and Corollas with brights on all the time (seems to always be these).
      That's a fair point. But then I would miss the opportunity to turn mine on in return, which is always kind of satisfying.

Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler sport, 2015 GTI SE w/ PP
      02-12-2020 04:18 PM #25
      My fiances' 2019 CX5 has this feature. If it doesn't detect any sort of vehicle light source in front of it, it kicks on the high beams. Somewhat annoying when on the highway at midnight but nice on back roads with little traffic.
      She leaves hers on 100% of the time though which drives me nuts.
      "Look pal, I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like: what is beauty? Because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of Philosophy. I solve practical problems!" ~ Dell C.
      The Blue Crayon 2 - 2015 VW GTI with performance pack
      The Little Green Crayon - 2102 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport (modified for mud)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast