VWVortex.com - Automatic high beams....is this a new trend?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Automatic high beams....is this a new trend?

02-12-2020 04:30 PM #26
      It's just one more building block in the road to fully automated vehicles. They don't work perfectly now according to everyone's personal preference. But then again, neither do human drivers.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i /2016 Ford Explorer/Previous 2013 & 2011 JSW TDI/97 Jetta
      02-12-2020 04:37 PM #27
      I just don't use the auto-high-beams as I don't like they work/perform.

For the Subaru, you have to have the lights in Auto and PUSHED the turn-signal stalk/high-beams then becomes automatic (I don't use).
      If you have the light in ON you have manual control over the high-beams. (this is how i use, i prefer the control over the when/how/why.)

On the Ford, you disable in the in the on-board menu and I have this disabled.
      ** 2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT on order ** 2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i - 2016 Ford Explorer Limited
      **GONE VW #DasPolluter 2013 JSW TDI Oo>=====v=====<oO 2011 Kia Optima SX(Turbo)/2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4/2011 JSW TDI/2006 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 V8/2001 Focus wagon/2001 Ford Escape/97 Jetta GT

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      02-12-2020 04:51 PM #28
      Both my 2011 X5 and Model 3 have auto high beams. I don't use them, because I'm a control freak.

HOWEVER, the X5 system works stunningly well -- I don't know how it differentiates taillights from (say) traffic lights, but it's amazing, and responsive. I know this, because the system is infuriatingly difficult to use. When you flip the high beam switch forward, half the time it goes on high beams, the other half it goes on AUTO high beams. That is to say, it seems like *every OTHER* actuation of the high beams turns auto vs standard high beams. Who on planet earth would want this to be the behavior?

I turned off auto high beams in idrive. but it seems to me like it's the worst of both worlds to have the high beam switch toggle one mode half the time and the other mode the other half. I feel like I MUST be misunderstanding how it works but i drove with it like this for months and could never figure out why it alternated modes.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      02-12-2020 04:55 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Both my 2011 X5 and Model 3 have auto high beams. I don't use them, because I'm a control freak.

HOWEVER, the X5 system works stunningly well -- I don't know how it differentiates taillights from (say) traffic lights, but it's amazing, and responsive. I know this, because the system is infuriatingly difficult to use. When you flip the high beam switch forward, half the time it goes on high beams, the other half it goes on AUTO high beams. That is to say, it seems like *every OTHER* actuation of the high beams turns auto vs standard high beams. Who on planet earth would want this to be the behavior?

I turned off auto high beams in idrive. but it seems to me like it's the worst of both worlds to have the high beam switch toggle one mode half the time and the other mode the other half. I feel like I MUST be misunderstanding how it works but i drove with it like this for months and could never figure out why it alternated modes.
      Is it not like this?

02-12-2020 04:57 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      It's just one more building block in the road to fully automated vehicles. They don't work perfectly now according to everyone's personal preference. But then again, neither do human drivers.
      Yes, a building block set in the '50s...

Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post

If your headlight switch is in the auto position, the high beams should go into auto mode every time you push the stalk forward. If you pull it, that's flash to pass. I wonder if your car was having is having some type of error issue making the high beam assist disable..
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      02-12-2020 05:03 PM #31
      My Mazda had them and I turned the feature off. It worked fine but I prefer having the control.

Sent from a telephone while driving

Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      02-12-2020 05:16 PM #32
      i recently rented a car, and got stuck with a 2019 Altima...it had these auto headlights and they were terrible. the car also had: lane departure warning, attentiveness warning, blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, cross traffic alert, auto emergency braking, front collision warning, and about 10 other automated systems.

the damn thing was terrible. they spent about 26k on the tech and 3k on the actual car. 29k and it didn't have auto dimming mirrors or a lumbar support adjust for the driver. all it did was beep and scream at you while doing very little to actual make the holistic driving experience any better.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

02-12-2020 05:19 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      i recently rented a car, and got stuck with a 2019 Altima...it had these auto headlights and they were terrible. the car also had: lane departure warning, attentiveness warning, blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, cross traffic alert, auto emergency braking, front collision warning, and about 10 other automated systems.

the damn thing was terrible. they spent about 26k on the tech and 3k on the actual car. 29k and it didn't have auto dimming mirrors or a lumbar support adjust for the driver. all it did was beep and scream at you while doing very little to actual make the holistic driving experience any better.
      Blame people like Consumer Reports. They regularly ding cars at this point for not having these safety items standard. Consumers are valuing these systems above many other items these days.
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      1998 New Beetle. 2019 GSW
      02-12-2020 05:33 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Couldn't the auto high beams overpower the autopilot cameras on the oncoming cars at night?

11. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      02-12-2020 05:39 PM #35
      Have them on the Mazda. While they're not perfect, they generally work ok where they're supposed to (ie unlit backroads). I've never had an issue with it not turning off for oncoming cars though.

Vehicles
      '16 F150 5.0 S/C, '18 Honda Goldwing, '18 CX-5
      02-12-2020 06:13 PM #36
      For those wondering I would estimate I was 250-300 feet in front of her. It didn't coincide with oncoming traffic because there really wasn't any.

And damn...guess I gotta look at our CX-5's now. The two we have are my wife's and daughter's and both are touring models. I have driven both only on occasion but never noticed the high beams coming on automatically at any time so I will have to read up on that. Thanks for all of the insights.
      '16 F150 5.0 S/C, '18 Honda Goldwing

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      02-12-2020 06:22 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Is it not like this?
      Nope. I don't have a button on the end of the stalk.

Push it forward, high beams go into auto mode. pull it back to 'normal', no high beams. Push it forward again, high beams go into "normal/always on" high beam mode. pull it back to normal, no high beams. Push it foward, auto mode again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      If your headlight switch is in the auto position, the high beams should go into auto mode every time you push the stalk forward. If you pull it, that's flash to pass. I wonder if your car was having is having some type of error issue making the high beam assist disable..
      I usually run my headlight switch in auto but not 100% of the time. I can't say for sure which mode it was in but i've been very consistently having the same "50% auto, 50% high beams" on/off behavior the entire time I've had the car. I don't think there's a fault, I think it's just a crappy design?
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

14. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-12-2020 06:33 PM #38
      My high beams automatically come on when I push the stalk forward.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      02-12-2020 06:51 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      Have them on the Mazda. While they're not perfect, they generally work ok where they're supposed to (ie unlit backroads). I've never had an issue with it not turning off for oncoming cars though.
      Yeah, I have them on the Bolt and they seem to work great. Never had an issue where they were bright when they wern't supposed to be, though they do tend to stay dimmed a little longer than I'd normally have them. But it's just not a big enough deal to get all upset about.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2 KTMs, a VW, a truck, and a SkiDoo.
      02-12-2020 07:02 PM #40
      My wife's 2017 Alltrack has automatic headlights, the dial stays in the auto position and the car determines when to switch between DRLs and dipped beams, and it also has automatic high beams. To enable the automatic high beams you have to push the headlight stalk forward at least once per key cycle. My parents have something similar on their 2017 Mazda7.

I hate them and usually turn the headlight dial to manual and just turn on the high beams the old fashioned way because of problems like what was described in the OP. Sometimes I end up accidentally flashing cars trying when I get impatient and try to turn off the high beams before the system does and I miss the timing and end up flashing drivers. I've also had it turn on the high beams when following other cars at long distances, maybe a half mile or more, only to turn them back off and then repeat. I suspect that the extra light of the high beams allows the camera to detect the target car and then disabling high beams again.
      X

02-12-2020 07:13 PM #41
      My C43 has the adaptive headlights and I love them. I have to be in auto and the stalk forward for them to activate. They are even smart enough to recognize the taillights of cars far ahead. They also turn-off when the traffic-light ahead is red (most likely mistaking it for taillights). Additionally, they switch from low to high visa versa progressively, almost as if they have eyelids (or pop-up headlights) that open and closes slowly.

02-12-2020 07:18 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by shftat6 View Post
      we have 2 well equipped '18 CX-5's with all of the typical safety features.
      Quote Originally Posted by shftat6 View Post
      And damn...guess I gotta look at our CX-5's now. The two we have are my wife's and daughter's and both are touring models. I have driven both only on occasion but never noticed the high beams coming on automatically at any time so I will have to read up on that. Thanks for all of the insights.
      [URL]Newly Standard for 2018:
      - Full i-ACTIVSENSE suite is now standard on CX-5 Touring models: High Beam Control, Lane Departure Warning, Lane-Keep Assist, Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop and Go function and Smart Brake Support*
      2018-Mazda-CX-5-Fact-Sheet.pdf

02-12-2020 07:23 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      My C43 has the adaptive headlights and I love them. I have to be in auto and the stalk forward for them to activate. They are even smart enough to recognize the taillights of cars far ahead. They also turn-off when the traffic-light ahead is red (most likely mistaking it for taillights). Additionally, they switch from low to high visa versa progressively, almost as if they have eyelids (or pop-up headlights) that open and closes slowly.
      Benz has been doing that for many years and I really like that aspect. It's also interesting that if a light source approaches unexpectedly the high beams will switch off instantly vs. progressively as usual.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      02-12-2020 07:24 PM #44
      On our RAV4 if you have the headlight switch in auto, which we almost always do, and you activate the highbeams then it will be automatic on and off highbeams as well.

I dislike its reaction times. It goes low later than I’d like almost every time.

I’ll generally just move the headlight switch from auto to on and do the highs myself manually.

02-12-2020 07:29 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by shawshank redemption View Post
      Must have been a Canadian thing. VW didnt get it until 2017 in the states
      I thought the Atlas was the first to have it in the US for VW?

Vehicles
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      02-12-2020 07:38 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by DneprDave View Post
      My father had a 1956 Cadillac Coupe DeVille that had automatic high beams. Cadillac called it a "Magic Eye". It could be turned off and it's sensitivity was adjustable.

Dang, here I was about to stroll in, all pompous like, talking bout my '62 has auto high beams.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-12-2020 08:56 PM #47
      Imagine having to move your left hand three inches to push a stalk forward... Crazy
      Convenience is not a sin. The problem here is implementation.

24. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      02-12-2020 09:00 PM #48
      Imagine having to move your left hand three inches to push a stalk forward... Crazy
      I can do it with two fingers on my left hand without even getting my hand off the steering wheel.

On another car of mine, and the truck too, I just have to tap my left foot a bit.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

25. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      16v I4, Twin Turbo Charged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      02-12-2020 09:18 PM #49

I want these.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      02-12-2020 11:34 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by KellerMKIV GLI View Post
      My wife's 2018 Equinox has them and I think they suck most of the time. I feel they stay on too long when other cars are approaching us, especially if a car is on a side road, and they don't turn back on soon enough after a car has passed us. Fortunately in the Equinox at least they are easy to turn off and on.
      We've found with my wife's 2019 Equinox that they work okay in rural areas, like backroads and rolling into a small town with streetlights.

In semi-urban areas with, for example, certain freeway interchanges on the fringes of small cities, the lighting seems easily confused by small random light sources, reflective road signs, other traffic on overpasses, etc, flashing on and off seemingly at random. I'm sure there's some reason in the sensor programming, but we find it quite frustrating. We typically have it switched off.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast