The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car repair conundrum: need advice

1. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      02-13-2020 09:44 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      submitted my plate application for NOTRUCK seems fitting.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      02-13-2020 09:51 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      dump it and buy a Ridgeline
      Here's one. Fewer miles, too.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/...073484924.html

Vehicles
      1998 New Beetle. 2019 GSW
      02-13-2020 10:33 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      Based on where you are now, I am feeling like DIY putting in a newer engine is the only way to salvage the situation.
      Having a shop put it in is a huge labor sink.

To me, the initial price was too high, even with a 'motor from another civic'. But you are stuck there.

Selling the car as is for even $1k seems optimistic. On my local CL a similar car, running... but fewer miles... the 2 examples are $1800 and $1350.
      Maybe some daddy & daughter time to install an engine together.

Selling as-is for $800 would cover the amount owing on her original loan.

5. Member
      02-13-2020 10:40 AM #29
      The pick and pulls are full of that vintage Civic. It might take a couple trips to a couple different yards to find the right donor but LKQ, for instance, charges $275 for a long block. Civics aren't exactly the hardest cars to work on so pulling the engine should be doable for a 5/10 skill set person. I've put 4cyl long blocks in big trunks and small hatches so if you can get someone to give you a hand you don't even really need a truck to pick it up (but having them drop in in the bed IS the easiest). Just a long afternoon at the pick and pull and a weekend or two in the garage at home.......

If 3-6 weekend days out of your life isn't worth the savings / spend just dump the car and move on!

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      02-13-2020 11:45 AM #30
      That's optimistically an $1800-2k car if the engine wasn't blown. As it sits, $500 at most. There is an endless sea of 200k+ mile Hondas on their last legs that are one month away from ending up just like this car.

The only option that doesn't suck is to DIY swap a known, running engine into the car. Not some eBay special, or a reman, just the best local runner you can find for under $500 which is completely possible. I bet you can find a complete running car for close to that amount with body damage/dirty title/etc and pull the engine.

As for the swap itself, it's an older Honda; This is a two day job for a DIYer with no special tools needed besides something to lift the engines. Borrow a cherry picker, string a come-along to the rafters in a garage, get creative with ropes and pullies. Seriously, I've pulled engines with much less. Pull in some favors for help if you need it and you can easily get this done.

7. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      02-13-2020 11:46 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      If I wanted a poser minitruck with 200k and a rod knock I’d buy a Subaru Baja.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

8. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 12:01 PM #32
      Surprised you can even find parts for it.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

9. 02-13-2020 12:26 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post
      $2500 was too much for a 2004 Civic with 227,000 miles in the first place.

Cut losses, sell for $1,000.
      If you get 300 bucks for this car, I would be surprised. we are talking about a 04 civic with a second engine that is locked up and rebuilt tranny. The first thing is the original guy that did the work more than likely just threw a junk yard engine in the car. It was probably burning oil, which leads us to why it was locked up. Guys like this are always super busy when you call them that something they sold has an issue but have nothing but time when they are selling the car. Start looking at the pick and pulls, you should be able to find an engine cheap. Even at my local pick and pulls they have guys in the yard that you can pay a few bucks and they will pull a tranny or engine if you don't know how to. Find a local mechanics that will put it in. It will buy you some time.

10. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 12:47 PM #34
      Even if you get the car running again that generation of Civic sucks balls.

Let the junkyard have it, take your two Benjamins, and walk away a happy(ish) man.
      Instagram - efrie004

maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

02-13-2020 02:41 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Even if you get the car running again that generation of Civic sucks balls.

Let the junkyard have it, take your two Benjamins, and walk away a happy(ish) man.
      Is that a stack of Jeffersons?
      All Hail Andy?

12. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 02:47 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      Girls at the club love the jeffy stacks.
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      It varies.
      02-13-2020 02:54 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      Is "stack" the unit of measuring value or number of bills in the wad?
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

14. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 02:56 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      Is "stack" the unit of measuring value or number of bills in the wad?
      Technically, it's any bill x100 with a band around it.

TCL voted as a stack being $1,000 but that's because that's all they can afford.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-bringing-with
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      02-14-2020 09:29 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by dr_spock View Post
      Maybe some daddy & daughter time to install an engine together.
      This gets my vote. See if you can work out (both your schedule and hers) spending the time with your kid to do it. She may hate doing it now, but she'll always remember the time you spent with her and it'll give her a sense of accomplishment to help fix it.

16. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-14-2020 10:40 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      This gets my vote. See if you can work out (both your schedule and hers) spending the time with your kid to do it. She may hate doing it now, but she'll always remember the time you spent with her and it'll give her a sense of accomplishment to help fix it.
      She’ll never forget the time daddy made her help fix the car she worked so hard to destroy. There she was, finally gone of the car she so desperately hated.

“But no, it couldn’t be that simple. Dad wants to fix it, furthermore, he wants me to help. What have I done wrong?!?!?!”
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. Wife: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sonic Grey
      02-14-2020 11:10 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      She’ll never forget the time daddy made her help fix the car she worked so hard to destroy. There she was, finally gone of the car she so desperately hated.

“But no, it couldn’t be that simple. Dad wants to fix it, furthermore, he wants me to help. What have I done wrong?!?!?!”
      You think she wanted to be without a car? You must not have teenage kids.

Besides, she learned to drive a manual transmission. I was very proud of her for that. Most boys her age can't even drive a manual.
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

Vehicles
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. Wife: 2019 Honda Civic Sport Sonic Grey
      02-14-2020 11:12 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      Absolutely agree. Great life lesson. Just need to come up with the funds for an engine.

Vehicles
      02-14-2020 11:14 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      That's optimistically an $1800-2k car if the engine wasn't blown. As it sits, $500 at most. There is an endless sea of 200k+ mile Hondas on their last legs that are one month away from ending up just like this car.

The only option that doesn't suck is to DIY swap a known, running engine into the car. Not some eBay special, or a reman, just the best local runner you can find for under $500 which is completely possible. I bet you can find a complete running car for close to that amount with body damage/dirty title/etc and pull the engine.

As for the swap itself, it's an older Honda; This is a two day job for a DIYer with no special tools needed besides something to lift the engines. Borrow a cherry picker, string a come-along to the rafters in a garage, get creative with ropes and pullies. Seriously, I've pulled engines with much less. Pull in some favors for help if you need it and you can easily get this done.
      Believe me I've ran that scenario in my mind several times. I really don't think it would be THAT difficult. It's just a matter of time and money at this point. The body and interior are really in fantastic condition. That's why I want to save it.

20. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-14-2020 11:17 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
      You think she wanted to be without a car? You must not have teenage kids.

Besides, she learned to drive a manual transmission. I was very proud of her for that. Most boys her age can't even drive a manual.
      I’m just giving you a hard time.

That’s great that she can drive a manual, super handy.

My wife can drive a stick as well, and thus loves driving my car.
      Instagram - efrie004

21. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2018 F150
      02-14-2020 12:11 PM #45
      Check around FB to see if any local mechanics do extra jobs at home.
      Sometimes you find somebody that will do jobs like that at home for a greatly reduced rate.
      And they may know where to find a good cheap engine.
      At this point just a good engine is all you need- not a low mileage premium price engine (which doesn't guarantee it's a good engine anyway. You can kill an engine really fast if you avoid maintenance.).
      as an aside.
      My 85 RX7 (and 04 RX8)had a low oil level light (about a quart low), low coolant level light... simple sensors and lights that tell you there is a fluid issue LONG before it can cause damage.
      Why was this not made standard across all vehicles?
      Cost.. and they don't care if you destroy the engine as long as they don't have to pay for it.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 02-14-2020 at 12:16 PM.

22. 02-14-2020 08:03 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by chuckster1 View Post
      Okay TFL. Here's the scenario:

Four months later, the engine is seized. I even checked the oil in October. No idea where all of oil went. Now we don't know what to do. Maybe it's my daughter's age and that she didn't see the oil light come on..
      I bet that light was on for DAYS or possibly weeks before all the oil was gone.

Vehicles
      1992 Miata, 2001 VW GTI, 2018 A6, SQ5
      02-14-2020 09:09 PM #47
      It is possible the oil light was burned out, thus OP's daughter didn't know there was an issue. Op would have to confirm if this assumption is correct or not.

Regardless the driver should be checking the oil level periodically and if low top it up. As I said earlier, lots of lessons to be learned from this adventure, hopefully the OP's daughter doesn't forget them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12