VWVortex.com - Money shift (BMW M2 content)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Money shift (BMW M2 content)

1. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      02-13-2020 01:44 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      if an auto transmission can prevent you from overreving surely there has to be a way the computer can sense that a gear change below "x" would cause overrun and block engagement of that gear?
      The issue is that the engine and transmission are locked at one speed at that point. All the electronics in the world won't help a drivetrain that can't handle it. The only thing would be a little mechanical lockout, but once it has already occurred, then it's too late.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      02-13-2020 01:54 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I showed you my shift technique. Please respond.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      02-13-2020 01:55 PM #78
      They should just make the entire gauge cluster be like a skull and crossbones or something when you select the wrong gear (lol). But even then usually you're shifting fast enough and looking on the road, it probably wouldn't help much.

Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      02-13-2020 01:58 PM #79
      http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/artic..._technique.htm

"This is the way"

bwaaaaaawowwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-13-2020 02:03 PM #80
      if an auto transmission can prevent you from overreving surely there has to be a way the computer can sense that a gear change below "x" would cause overrun and block engagement of that gear?
      There would still have to be some mechanical component (i.e. shift locker-outtie thingy or clutch engage override). There's no way to protect from mechanical overrevs by cutting ignition or fuel or whatever. If he had let the clutch out in that gear + speed while the car was off the outcome would have been the same.

7. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 02:04 PM #81
      The car is going to go into gear no matter what if it's a manual transmission. You can cut fuel, you can do whatever you want, but the motor is still going to spin at the same RPM as transmission. It's that simple.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

8. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 02:05 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/artic..._technique.htm

"This is the way"

bwaaaaaawowwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
      I was looking for this yesterday and couldn't find it.
      Instagram - efrie004

maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

9. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      02-13-2020 02:06 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      The car is going to go into gear no matter what if it's a manual transmission. You can cut fuel, you can do whatever you want, but the motor is still going to spin at the same RPM as transmission. It's that simple.
      yea true

10. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 02:13 PM #84
      yea true
      Just like how the motor keeps spinning, puffing air, and nothing changes when you turn the car off with the clutch engaged while under power.

For instance, in my 325i.

If I'm going 50MPH in third gear and I turn off the ignition (just one click, still need to steer), the car cuts fuel, engine still spins, besides friction slowing you down, literally nothing changes, it just feels like you let off the gas. Turn the key back to "ON" position, and the engine starts getting fuel. No starter, etc.

So with that being said, you could in theory run a car up to the top of third gear on a dyno with the engine off, downshift to second, and blow up the motor. Without the motor running.

That is why something like rev protection can't save you in a money shift.
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      Old/German/Broken
      02-13-2020 02:14 PM #85
      Ouchtown, bro.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

12. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 02:15 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Ouchtown, bro.
      Instagram - efrie004

13. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      02-13-2020 02:20 PM #87
      Just like how the motor keeps spinning, puffing air, and nothing changes when you turn the car off with the clutch engaged while under power.

For instance, in my 325i.

If I'm going 50MPH in third gear and I turn off the ignition (just one click, still need to steer), the car cuts fuel, engine still spins, besides friction slowing you down, literally nothing changes, it just feels like you let off the gas. Turn the key back to "ON" position, and the engine starts getting fuel. No starter, etc.

So with that being said, you could in theory run a car up to the top of third gear on a dyno with the engine off, downshift to second, and blow up the motor. Without the motor running.

That is why something like rev protection can't save you in a money shift.
      yea exactly and same reason you can jump start a manual car by getting it rolling and dropping it into gear

Vehicles
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-13-2020 02:20 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Are you talking about a different video? The one in the OP was clearly taken by a passenger. How are you so consistently bad at this?
      How are you so bad at reading the thread? I posted his instagram where he has mutliple vids of HIM filming from behind the wheel so suck an egg chump

edit:

LOL to show what an idiot you really are ill even link you to the post where i linked one of his vids of him filming himself

Quote Originally Posted by EverthingIsTerrible View Post
      lmao, this is awesome. His instagram is m2_skyblue and is filled with **** like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3xG4ARo..._web_copy_link

this post was literally like 5 up from yours lol

Do you see the link now? Its blue and in bold. If you click that magic button you will see what im talking about and maybe save the sass for someone else
      Last edited by EverthingIsTerrible; 02-13-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 Conestoga Wagon & 2023 VigorousZX Campermobile
      02-13-2020 02:28 PM #89
      Well it could be done by using a couple of systems but good luck engineering this ****:
      1. Non-rotating clutch disk mounted between the block and flywheel. The overrev disk would engage if the ECU senses an incorrect gear selection or a sudden rise in RPM that would indicate a money shift situation. The tough part would be to fine tune the engagement to slow the motor before it overrevs and not lock the motor and shock the rotating mass
      2. Electronically actuated clutch on the output shaft of the trans that immediately disengages if the incorrect gear is selected or a sudden RPM rise like described in the first situation

Maybe we could get a well-known van based CNC shop to work these plans up.
      Last edited by Baltimoron; 02-13-2020 at 02:33 PM.

16. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 02:29 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoron View Post
      Well it could be done by using a couple of systems but good luck engineering this ****:
      1. Non-rotating clutch disk mounted between the block and firewall. The overrev disk would engage if the ECU senses an incorrect gear selection or a sudden rise in RPM that would indicate a money shift situation. The tough part would be to fine tune the engagement to slow the motor before it overrevs and not lock the motor and shock the rotating mass
      2. Electronically actuated clutch on the output shaft of the trans that immediately disengages if the incorrect gear is selected or a sudden RPM rise like described in the first situation

There's a really easy fix for this.

1. ZF8
      Instagram - efrie004

Vehicles
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-13-2020 02:31 PM #91
      There's a really easy fix for this.

1. ZF8

Vehicles
      #81 SM 1.6
      02-13-2020 02:33 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

Vehicles
      Old/German/Broken
      02-13-2020 02:37 PM #93
      So...turns out this is a crank hub failure AND a money shift.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

Vehicles
      #81 SM 1.6
      02-13-2020 02:40 PM #94
      So...turns out this is a crank hub failure AND a money shift.
      but he still didnt let the clutch out eh?
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      02-13-2020 02:54 PM #95
      1. Non-rotating clutch disk mounted between the block and flywheel. The overrev disk would engage if the ECU senses an incorrect gear selection or a sudden rise in RPM that would indicate a money shift situation. The tough part would be to fine tune the engagement to slow the motor before it overrevs and not lock the motor and shock the rotating mass

Probably an easier implementation would be something that looks like a gated shifter underneath the booth, with solenoids locking out certain gears at certain speeds with a basic microcontroller doing the actuation.

But why!? It's still your fault. The manufacturer isn't going to cover a damn thing if it's under warranty so why add something that 99.99% of the time isn't needed, and the .01% you don't have to pay for anyway?

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      02-13-2020 03:26 PM #96
      This will never be solved in engineering. Manuals are going away and in the meantime BMW (or anyone) would love to point and laugh while you hand over another 30k.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      02-13-2020 03:30 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      Probably an easier implementation would be something that looks like a gated shifter underneath the booth, with solenoids locking out certain gears at certain speeds with a basic microcontroller doing the actuation.

But why!? It's still your fault. The manufacturer isn't going to cover a damn thing if it's under warranty so why add something that 99.99% of the time isn't needed, and the .01% you don't have to pay for anyway?
      Easiest implementation is crappy synchros that won't let the car get into gear. Money shift is nearly impossible on my Alfa

Vehicles
      Old/German/Broken
      02-13-2020 03:32 PM #98
      Some people in this thread are forgetting that seat belts and airbags had to be federally mandated. Car companies are businesses. They won't spend money to prevent you from spending more money after doing something stupid.

25. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 03:38 PM #99
      Some people in this thread are forgetting that seat belts and airbags had to be federally mandated. Car companies are businesses. They won't spend money to prevent you from spending more money after doing something stupid.
      Last thing I need is the gubmint tellin' me what to do.

Safety my ass, it's just so I stay in the car, strapped inside gubmint motors. Ain't no man keepin me strapped down.
      Instagram - efrie004

26. 02-13-2020 04:04 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post

It's a little uncomfortable at first, but once it's muscle memory it helps fix an expensive potential mistake.

I follow tour bus dude's lead.

2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast