Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What is this thingy

1. 02-13-2020 03:58 PM #1

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

02-13-2020 09:17 PM #2
      A point of reference would be helpful!

Looks like the footwell with a wire and clamped on ring fitting?
      -Josh

1-12-5-8-3-10-6-7-2-11-4-9

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V8 LWB 4 Seater, 2011 Jetta TDI Highline
      02-13-2020 11:21 PM #3
      Please take all future photos from a further distance with minimal focus and stability. This will ensure that we don’t waste our time guessing and can more easily say “we don’t know.”

My best guess from this potato photo it’s an MDI cable, which was essentially VWs way of making their own very expensive USB port.
      Last edited by phaetonjohn; 02-13-2020 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Left out a conjunction
      2005 V8 LWB 4 Seater, Klavierlack Black, Sonnen Beige, Chestnut, Keyless Start, Paddles, Technology, Comfort, and Cold Wx packages

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      02-14-2020 03:27 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by phaetonjohn View Post
      Please take all future photos from a further distance with minimal focus and stability. This will ensure that we don’t waste our time guessing and can more easily say “we don’t know.”

My best guess from this potato photo it’s an MDI cable, which was essentially VWs way of making their own very expensive USB port.

This reminds me of the spider picture where I couldn't even tell it was in a headlight.

This is like one of those blurry close-up pictures where you are supposed to guess what it is and you get a prize if you guess correctly.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      02-14-2020 03:28 PM #5
      It kind of looks like an antenna connector but it could also be a female spade connector.

Maybe it goes to the NAV or maybe it's supposed to go to some aftermarket junk.

What's that black square thing? Maybe some aftermarket thingy was mounted there and that cable used to go to it.

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V8 LWB 4 Seater, 2011 Jetta TDI Highline
      02-14-2020 03:34 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN View Post
      This reminds me of the spider picture where I couldn't even tell it was in a headlight.

This is like one of those blurry close-up pictures where you are supposed to guess what it is and you get a prize if you guess correctly.
      Hahaha me too!
      2005 V8 LWB 4 Seater, Klavierlack Black, Sonnen Beige, Chestnut, Keyless Start, Paddles, Technology, Comfort, and Cold Wx packages

Vehicles
      2011 Phaeton V6 3.0TDI , 1954 Austin A30 803cc
      02-15-2020 05:48 AM #7
      I think it is some nachos that someone has trodden into the carpet.
      Last edited by robbie-rocket-pants; 02-15-2020 at 08:38 AM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      02-15-2020 02:31 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by robbie-rocket-pants View Post
      I think it is some nachos that someone has trodden into the carpet.
      I was going to say bad dandruff.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      02-15-2020 03:29 PM #9
      In all seriousness though, the dealer should be able to identify that wire if it is a Phaeton wire.

If you are a good customer, they might go out and look at it for free. It doesn't hurt to ask.

If the mechanics are busy, you could buy a service and ask them to look at it.

Any service should be a good excuse to ask about that wire.

I paid for my spare batteries to be checked because I know their time is valuable.

You could also just pay for a diagnosis as a way to ask questions about everything.

Tell the service advisor you want to buy an hour's time. You will probably need an appointment.

That way you become a valuable customer and not just some guy with a 12 year old very used car asking for free advice.

If it is for some aftermarket stuff they should be able to at least tell you it's not factory.

Read the FAQ about removing the CD changer and you can check if something is disconnected. I think that's a long shot.

I am almost positive it doesn't go the NAV because the NAV uses a Fiber Optic cable.

If some previous owner installed an iPhone adapter or some other accessory, then it's anybody's guess what that wire goes to.

There is a fuse box under the carpet but it's up to you to research if it could have been disconnected from that somehow.

The pictures of that fuse box is somewhere in the FAQ or in another thread.

I would do the research if it was my Phaeton but I understand you are a newbie.

I had some weird LED and switch on mine and I could not find anything about the LED or switch in any thread.

I searched through the FAQ first and then read every thread that mentioned LEDs.

Only then did I reach out to another member for help.

I didn't start a whole thread about it though, I sent him a PM.

His Phaeton didn't have the LED or switch so I pretty much figured out that it wasn't factory.

It wasn't until I was removing aftermarket crap that I discovered that my mystery LED and switch were part of a hidden RADAR detector.

Vehicles
      2011 Phaeton V6 3.0TDI , 1954 Austin A30 803cc
      02-15-2020 04:29 PM #10
      An aftermarket telephone microphone that has slipped down perhaps ?

13. 02-15-2020 06:05 PM #11
      It's the ejector seat cable. Mine came loose once and the old ball and chain still grouses about the road rash.