VWVortex.com - Driving Shoes...that are dress shoes?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 90

    Thread: Driving Shoes...that are dress shoes?

    1. Member gonzo08452's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2006
      Location
      yorba linda, ca
      Posts
      9,720
      Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2019 Elantra GT N-line
      02-14-2020 03:50 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      My Clark "Chukka boots" work great for driving.

      The sole is nice and thin so I can feel everything, they're not slippery. I actually can heel-toe easier in those than I can with sneakers on.

      Granted, my work attire is more-so business casual than dress.

      My point is, I have nothing to add, and this thread is hilarious.

      Second the Clarks Chukka. But not until they are properly broken in.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. 02-14-2020 03:53 PM #52
      Clarks with rubber soles. I love mine because they're slightly wider than my other shoes, which makes heel-toeing a breeze because I can use the side of my foot. Always heel-toe as I'm turning into the parking lot.

    4. Senior Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      21,075
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      02-14-2020 04:00 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      But that's why you drive a GTI and not a GT3

      That wall is begging for some vintage racing wall art
      Zing!

      I actually just moved into this office last Friday. A guy just made junior partner and was moved into my old office and I ended up with a big-boy partner office. I spent a good part of last night looking for vintage racing wall art, so suggestions are welcome. Maybe a thread is in order? There's a lot of wall to cover with art in this office.

      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    5. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      13,733
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-14-2020 04:06 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Zing!

      I actually just moved into this office last Friday. A guy just made junior partner and was moved into my old office and I ended up with a big-boy partner office. I spent a good part of last night looking for vintage racing wall art, so suggestions are welcome. Maybe a thread is in order? There's a lot of wall to cover with art in this office.

      https://www.tracksculptures.com/
      Instagram - efrie004

      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

    6. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      41,366
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      02-14-2020 04:08 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Zing!

      I actually just moved into this office last Friday. A guy just made junior partner and was moved into my old office and I ended up with a big-boy partner office. I spent a good part of last night looking for vintage racing wall art, so suggestions are welcome. Maybe a thread is in order? There's a lot of wall to cover with art in this office.
      I have 4 posters from here. They fit perfectly in Ikea frames. But also go on ebay or etsy and type in vintage racing poster or track wall art

      https://automobilist.com/Store/Posters/

    7. Old man yelling at cloud
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 1999
      Location
      Reading, Berkshire
      Posts
      42,193
      02-14-2020 04:09 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
      Also going to add in to the Allen Edmonds suggestions. Their loafers are very good, and if you want to be a bit more stealth baller you could go for a hell cordovan. IMO definitely a big difference in ease between my AE derbys/Oxfords/bluchers and the loafers. The AE Mercer Street (combo sole) or Addison (Dainite) would fit the bill, I think.
      I will also throw my hat in the ring for Allen Edmonds, and also for the shell cordovan. It's been my experience that driving a manual will accelerate wear on lesser leathers in the AE lineup, especially the severity and depth of the vamp crease. Yes, even if you (as you should) pop in trees as soon as you take them off. A proper cordovan, especially if you help form the vamp crease with a softer radius before wearing them, will ripple but not distort and pucker.

      I regularly wear a pair of AE's cordovan Dalton boots, and they can be ordered or recrafted with a partial leather ("V-tread", as they call it) sole for $40 more. I've managed to daily a series of cars from a Mk7 TDI to a Mini Cooper to a Cappuccino to a GT350R without issues, and the AE partial works well for grip without being so aggressive that it hangs up on the pedal tread.

      A bonus is that you will never be — in any courtroom in the world — under-dressed in shell cordovan.

      Disclaimer: I am not an attorney; I just have a lot of experience standing in front of judges. When it comes to taking chances, some people like to play poker, shoot dice, or climb ice floes. I engaged in marriages.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      3,184
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      02-14-2020 04:10 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Oh cool! Now I just gotta decide if I want The Glen or LRP....

    9. Senior Member VadGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2000
      Location
      Hollywooooooood, CA
      Posts
      21,075
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      02-14-2020 04:12 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      I have 4 posters from here. They fit perfectly in Ikea frames. But also go on ebay or etsy and type in vintage racing poster or track wall art

      https://automobilist.com/Store/Posters/
      I went through eBay last night. Totally forgot about Etsy. Will check the link out now .
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 7th, 2016
      Posts
      1,860
      Vehicles
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      02-14-2020 04:16 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Leather soles can be scuffed up to be made less slippery. Sometimes they just need to be broken in.
      OP, have you tried the moonwalk?

    11. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 29th, 2009
      Posts
      17,291
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      02-14-2020 04:48 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      You can be an attorney and wear Chucks to work .
      I was dating an attorney last year. She made fun of me for wearing Chuck's and Doc Martins outside of work. Maybe that's why we aren't dating anymore. Hmmm...
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    12. Member GLI Dan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2006
      Location
      South Florida
      Posts
      5,542
      Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      02-14-2020 04:58 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Zing!

      I actually just moved into this office last Friday. A guy just made junior partner and was moved into my old office and I ended up with a big-boy partner office. I spent a good part of last night looking for vintage racing wall art, so suggestions are welcome. Maybe a thread is in order? There's a lot of wall to cover with art in this office.
      I'll get a pic up if I get the chance, but might I suggest what my girlfriend did for me for some occasion last year. She grabbed some of my desktop wallpapers that were hi-res, had a printing company print them, and then bought frames. Allows you more flexibility. Granted, as a lowly 4th year associate my office a touch smaller than yours your YMMV.

      Quote Originally Posted by Parklife View Post
      I will also throw my hat in the ring for Allen Edmonds, and also for the shell cordovan. It's been my experience that driving a manual will accelerate wear on lesser leathers in the AE lineup, especially the severity and depth of the vamp crease. Yes, even if you (as you should) pop in trees as soon as you take them off. A proper cordovan, especially if you help form the vamp crease with a softer radius before wearing them, will ripple but not distort and pucker.

      I regularly wear a pair of AE's cordovan Dalton boots, and they can be ordered or recrafted with a partial leather ("V-tread", as they call it) sole for $40 more. I've managed to daily a series of cars from a Mk7 TDI to a Mini Cooper to a Cappuccino to a GT350R without issues, and the AE partial works well for grip without being so aggressive that it hangs up on the pedal tread.

      A bonus is that you will never be — in any courtroom in the world — under-dressed in shell cordovan.

      Disclaimer: I am not an attorney; I just have a lot of experience standing in front of judges. When it comes to taking chances, some people like to play poker, shoot dice, or climb ice floes. I engaged in marriages.
      So far AE, Piloti, and ColeHaan seem to be the front runners. At least with AE and CH I can go to a store to check them out. And a legitimate to your italicized portion. That's another area of law i knew I would never want to touch with a 10ft pole.

      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      OP, have you tried the moonwalk?
      In high school, it didn't work out.


      On a more serious note, any of my more worn shoes won't slip, its more the fact that I find them to be cumbersome while driving. I think my mission will be find loafers that fit properly and in a variety of colors/styles...then I have an excuse to buy a manual porsche right?
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

    13. Senior Member Jettavr666's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2000
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      23,248
      Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      02-14-2020 05:03 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post

      I'm an attorney, I wear dress shoes every day. Aside from a cheap pair of "driver" style loafers I have and wear on days I'm not actually in the court house, I wear leather soled lace up dress shoes. In my personal opinion, it is a pain in the ass and generally not fun to drive a manual car with dress shoes on. Other than the way too expensive James Hunt edition Piloti loafers (I really want to buy these but $200 seems silly
      I know several attorneys and know the "dress code" I think it will be much easier for you to store a pair of slip on driving shoes in the car than to try and find something that does double duty. Its really like asking to find a pair of womans pumps that are great driving shoes too.

    14. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      13,733
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-14-2020 05:07 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      Its really like asking to find a womans pump
      That's a little personal, but you do you.
      Instagram - efrie004

      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      3,184
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      02-14-2020 05:37 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I was dating an attorney last year. She made fun of me for wearing Chuck's and Doc Martins outside of work. Maybe that's why we aren't dating anymore. Hmmm...
      Occasionally I head over to our attorney's offices for patents and such, and I'm not about to go home and change if it pops up randomly. One time I stepped out of a meeting to refill my coffee and overheard the receptionist chatting with an attorney about how I had showed up in jeans.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      3,184
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      02-14-2020 05:41 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      On a more serious note, any of my more worn shoes won't slip, its more the fact that I find them to be cumbersome while driving. I think my mission will be find loafers that fit properly and in a variety of colors/styles...then I have an excuse to buy a manual porsche right?
      Yeah, I think loafers are your best shot if they're dressed-up enough. Apparently Prada even markets one for driving.

      Now, I know they're overpriced. But by my count, since it's a Porsche, all you need to do is install your own license plate screws and lubricate the squeaky door yourself, and you're already ahead.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2004
      Location
      Austin TX
      Posts
      3,722
      Vehicles
      01 E46 325iT, 03 E39 M5, 18 F87 M2
      02-14-2020 06:05 PM #66
      Check out Born shoes. I had a pair of the Allan's for several years and the quality was incredible, also very very comfortable. I wish I had taken better care of mine, but I could definitely see myself in another pair in the future. The Allan's may be a little more on the casual side but the Andes might be your cup of tea. And for only $90 is an awesome deal. They have a thin sole great for pedal feel but just enough sole to also dress up or down. Both styles come in a variety of colors as well. The leather is also very soft so they mold to your feet over time.

      https://www.bornshoes.com/ViewAll.as...o=1&SortType=P




    18. Senior Member Lwize's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2000
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      27,502
      Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      02-14-2020 06:44 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      You can be an attorney and wear Chucks to work .

      Alexa, fill Vad's office with My Little Pony wall art.

    19. Member 2000JettaGLXVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Posts
      11,469
      Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      02-14-2020 06:53 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by EverthingIsTerrible View Post
      These are what I wear when driving hard:



      Highly recommended.
      Wore flops for years. Been on crutches for the past month. They should be illegal or come with a Sturgeon General warning. Throw those ****ers into the garbage, trust me, they will catch up with you.

    20. Member bificus99's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2008
      Location
      SC
      Posts
      1,388
      Vehicles
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      02-14-2020 07:01 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Nice! Shut up and take my money.gif

    21. Member gonzo08452's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2006
      Location
      yorba linda, ca
      Posts
      9,720
      Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2019 Elantra GT N-line
      02-14-2020 07:07 PM #70


      These look pretty sharp

    22. Member 2000JettaGLXVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2002
      Posts
      11,469
      Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      02-14-2020 07:20 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      You can be an attorney and wear Chucks to work .

      Nice office.

    23. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 29th, 2009
      Posts
      17,291
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      02-14-2020 07:35 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      Nice office.
      LA is the best.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    24. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      32,348
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      02-14-2020 08:23 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      LA is the best.
      I love cajun food.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

    25. Member tampaSi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 10th, 2006
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      3,011
      Vehicles
      17 GTI Sport
      02-14-2020 09:33 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      Caitlyn seems to get it done in heels.



      This has to be one of the lamest excuses for not driving a manual I've seen.

      I believe she's transitioned to PDK by now anyway.
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4
      Speed/Sport/Life

    26. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2006
      Location
      Chicago, Il
      Posts
      7,744
      Vehicles
      16v I4, Twin Turbo Charged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      02-14-2020 10:36 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by needs20thae View Post
      If the issue is that the shoes are slippery, have a cobber add topy to your soles. I believe Allen Edmonds and Alden even (used to?) offer them OEM. I add them to majority of my shoes/boots to extend the sole life as I walk to work.

      8th post in 15.5 years, on the topic of shoes.

      Strong
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •