VWVortex.com - Is this a good deal/realiable for a VR6?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Is this a good deal/realiable for a VR6?

1. 02-14-2020 09:08 PM #1
      Considering a 2015 Passat V6 SEL Premium with 29k miles on for listed as $15000

I am heading in for a test drive possibly to purchase it. What do you guys think? For a VR6 direction, anything to watch out for as for reliability for the motor and carbon buildup?

Do you think this price is good?

fee is $299 + undisclosed misc fee for a non-cpo, looking at mid $16000, if want to be certified, and extra $1k + undisclosed certification fee, is this worth it for 2 yrs of coverage that has a $50 deductible?

You guys input is very much appreciated!
      Last edited by yzc717; 02-15-2020 at 05:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2018 Passat GT
      02-14-2020 09:15 PM #2
      VR 6 is a great engine. Pretty bullet proof. I have had several (including my current GT). The DSG trans is desirable too. Just reminder that the dsg requires service every 40k otherwise the service is the same as any other Passat.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2016 VW Passat SEL TSI
      02-15-2020 10:58 AM #3
      Looks nice, if you like the features and color combo. Listing says "VW CERTIFIED ** 2 YEAR & 24,000 MILES WARRANTY " I wouldn't let them add $1k for that, don't think VW certified has any fee. '16's and later have some added features, such as ACC, more connectivity, etc. I love the ACC feature.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 02-15-2020 01:07 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by UberDanno View Post
      Looks nice, if you like the features and color combo. Listing says "VW CERTIFIED ** 2 YEAR & 24,000 MILES WARRANTY " I wouldn't let them add $1k for that, don't think VW certified has any fee. '16's and later have some added features, such as ACC, more connectivity, etc. I love the ACC feature.
      Yea, that’s what they said over phone, not really certified if pay additional fee. They list that way to get you in the door

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Passat Comfortline w/Tech and Nav
      02-15-2020 01:52 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by yzc717 View Post
      Yea, that’s what they said over phone, not really certified if pay additional fee. They list that way to get you in the door
      It could be that it doesn't pass the CPO inspection so to get it to pass they would need to do $1000 worth of work. Some dealers list their cars like this (I sell VW's in Canada) and it's becoming more and more common (we don't do that ****, it's a very sketchy and slimy practice). We were looking at bringing a car in from another dealer for a customer and they told us they don't even list them with a safety anymore, if you want to buy it with a safety then there is an extra fee to do the work required, it's insane.

So there is a good chance that you could be looking at a car in the same situation, it passes a normal safety but doesn't pass a CPO inspection so it would need some more work to get it there. That, and technically it does cost us money to CPO them, just not $1000 thats for sure. Just playing devils advocate here.

8. 02-15-2020 03:07 PM #6
      Yep, I pass on that cpo option. And why is no surprise suddenly there is this prep fee and other misc fee which bring this car to $16500 before tax. What do you guys think? In an ideal world, I was looking at $15500 max before tax with the only $300 disclosed fee.

Hope someone can give me some thought before I go in meet the finance guy.

Test drive it, freaking awesome!! That dsg man! The steering wheel was little off to the right and car kinds pull to the right as well whenever my hands were off the wheel.

Thank you
      Last edited by yzc717; 02-15-2020 at 06:35 PM.

9. n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Passat S
      02-15-2020 03:54 PM #7
      Yep, I pass on that cpo option. And why is no surprise suddenly there is this prep fee and other misc fee which bring this car to $16500 before tax. What do you guys think? In an ideal world, I was looking at $15500 max before tax with the only $300 disclosed fee.

Hope someone can give me some thought before I go in meet the finance guy.

Test drive it, freaking awesome!! That dsg man!

Thank you
      All dealers have their fees.Go buy and enjoy the car.

10. 02-15-2020 05:58 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by lusor View Post
      All dealers have their fees.Go buy and enjoy the car.
      ended up not buying, I was fine paying 1k over the listing price due to the fee, but then I tried my luck last time with him, asked the finance guy if there is any room in their fee, he straight out said "if you don't want to buy it, there is the door right there (he pointed it out for me)", I felt that was a pretty rude response, partly I am to blame as well since I did tried to make change on a done deal prior with the sales guys, but I didn't anticipate this kind of response. I walked straight out of the door.

Now I think about it, I am not too sad about not buying the car, since according to the previous response, this advertising listing as "certified" then there is a fee associated with, kind of shiit move, and I did glanced over the sales guy's desk, saw some attorney letter addressed to the dealership about some customer filed litigation about falsely making up fee and untruthful practice causing emotional distress and $$ loss. I might just dodge a bullet now I think about it.

But hey, it is so rare to find a vw with such low mileage with vr6 and dsg. too bad
      Last edited by yzc717; 02-15-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Vehicles
      2017 VW Passat SEL Premium 3.6
      02-15-2020 10:20 PM #9
      ended up not buying, I was fine paying 1k over the listing price due to the fee, but then I tried my luck last time with him, asked the finance guy if there is any room in their fee, he straight out said "if you don't want to buy it, there is the door right there (he pointed it out for me)", I felt that was a pretty rude response, partly I am to blame as well since I did tried to make change on a done deal prior with the sales guys, but I didn't anticipate this kind of response. I walked straight out of the door.

Now I think about it, I am not too sad about not buying the car, since according to the previous response, this advertising listing as "certified" then there is a fee associated with, kind of shiit move, and I did glanced over the sales guy's desk, saw some attorney letter addressed to the dealership about some customer filed litigation about falsely making up fee and untruthful practice causing emotional distress and $$ loss. I might just dodge a bullet now I think about it.

But hey, it is so rare to find a vw with such low mileage with vr6 and dsg. too bad
      Probably made the right move to walk away from a business that treats a customer like that. Notwithstanding, throwing my vote and confidence in for the VR6 Passat. I have a 2017 SEL Premium 3.6 and love it. The VR6 of the latter years I thought only make up just over 5% of the production, so they are a bit on the rare side. Anyway, if you are not pressed on a time line I would search for one, but biased to the 2016+ for some of the added features.

Good write up on the 3.6 VR6 here:
      https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=121

There are three SEL Premium VR6 2016’s on eBay Motors right now for $15.5k with 25 - 36k miles. You probably are not looking to go to Florida to check them out, but they are out there if you look hard enough. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Passat S
      02-16-2020 02:43 PM #10

I can't believe he treated you like that.Big mistake for me.You are the customer they have to make you happy.There are plenty more low mile cars out there.