Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Check Engine Light Finally Comes to My Life: P0442

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI Autobahn
      02-14-2020 09:26 PM #1
      My car has been great since I bought it at 64k miles 3 years ago (now 90k) and I only replaced ignition coils/spark plugs and water pump.

A few days ago I got my first check engine light in a long time. Plugged in OBDII sensor immediately and got P0442. It said it's most likely a loose gas tank cap. The cap seemed fine, but I still opened it and closed it back. Cleared the code. A couple days later, this time I got the cap icon on and warning saying the cap is open, even though it was not. I stopped, opened and closed again, kept driving. The warning disappeared.

Today I got the check engine light again. Besides trying a new cap(the seal on it looks perfectly fine, btw), what are other options? Anybody ever experienced it?

2012 GLI

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-15-2020 08:37 PM #2
      Maybe charcoal canister? My buddy had a Kia that gave him a similar code. Ended up being a cracked charcoal canister. It wouldn’t let his take pressurize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      MK7 Golf Sportwagen, MK6 GLI
      02-16-2020 12:24 AM #3
      More than likely it is the purge valve. They're easy to replace.
      You can test it with vcds and a vacuum gauge, or just throw a new one in it.
      Tuned mk6 2.0t CBFA 6 speed ECU for sale. Launch control set @ 3800 & 8psi, immobilizer delete, cat delete, air pump delete. $300 shipped.