Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2015 Q5 with B&O system - spare tire subwoofer

Vehicles
      2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro
      02-18-2020 08:36 AM #1
      So can that bass module / speaker in the spare tire be replaced with something that has more "presence"? Can't find any info regarding size or power specs...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 R32 / 2008 B6 4Mo Wagon / 2013 S-Line 3.0T Q5
      04-12-2020 03:01 PM #2
      Hi - I just picked up a 2013 Q5 with the same stock system, when I was searching for the build code sticker I "found" the sub and being curious took it apart!
      It's kind of cool actually and it really adds some much needed low-end to the factory system. Try listening without it and you will know!

The woofer is a typical 6.5" nominal steel basket and the cutout in the molded enclosure is ~144mm (5 11/16") so you could in theory drop in almost any standard woofer however the sub is ported so that means the parameters of any other woofer may not work with that length/diameter vent.

Also since it is part of a factory tuned system the stock sub is most likely getting a seriously filtered signal to extract every possible dB out of what is probably a $3 woofer!

Cheers,
      Scott

Vehicles
      2015 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro
      04-14-2020 09:04 AM #3
      Scott thanks for the reply. Based on your conclusion of a highly filtered signal, do you mean that the signal is "weak" for that specific size woofer or "clean" for the range of the size of woofer utilized? So would a higher quality woofer give a better response considering the factory tuned specs....

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by purpleB4 View Post
      Hi - I just picked up a 2013 Q5 with the same stock system, when I was searching for the build code sticker I "found" the sub and being curious took it apart!
      It's kind of cool actually and it really adds some much needed low-end to the factory system. Try listening without it and you will know!

The woofer is a typical 6.5" nominal steel basket and the cutout in the molded enclosure is ~144mm (5 11/16") so you could in theory drop in almost any standard woofer however the sub is ported so that means the parameters of any other woofer may not work with that length/diameter vent.

Also since it is part of a factory tuned system the stock sub is most likely getting a seriously filtered signal to extract every possible dB out of what is probably a $3 woofer!

Cheers,
      Scott

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-17-2020 12:18 PM #4
      The typical engineering reply would be That Depends! as any system has its own characteristics. Right at the moment I do not have the time to take measurements that would show what the frequency response is or the so-called specs of the stock sub. I have an older but experienced ear so I can usually figure out quickly what is going on but to be sure I take real-time measurements to eliminate any personal bias. From just listening and a physical inspection of the stock sub it's probably safe to say a more robust woofer with significantly more power would be an improvement. Assuming the right woofer is out there somewhere you could just swap one out. The next option could be to swap out the entire sub driver and its enclosure for a different one. The factory connection is easy to access so if you have a favorite sub to try it would be simple to try. The other and likely most expensive option would be to add an aftermarket signal processor to make the factory signal out "clean" and then use that to drive an outboard amplifier and subwoofer of your choice.

7. n00b
      Vehicles
      2020 VW Tiguan SE
      05-07-2020 12:52 AM #5
      I used to have a 2012 Q5, but it didn't have the B&O. That's all it had for a sub? A sad 6-1/2" speaker? How pathetic. When I had my A4, I changed out the rear speaker for a large sub and it made the entire rear deck rattle like hell.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-23-2020 12:16 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by GermanQualityCars View Post
      I used to have a 2012 Q5, but it didn't have the B&O. That's all it had for a sub? A sad 6-1/2" speaker? How pathetic. When I had my A4, I changed out the rear speaker for a large sub and it made the entire rear deck rattle like hell.
      Hey I hear you GQC - it is a lot to ask of a 6.5" driver but in the stock form it is not that bad. And that's from a guy who has a JL 12w6v3 at 1kW RMS running with an OE Dynaudio system in a B6 Passat! The real issue is lack of a separate sub level volume control in the MMI, apparently some cars got the control and some, like mine, did not

I have tried to find a definitive answer regarding the MMI update(s) that are supposed to restore this control. If I can get it then that little sub speaker will get a real workout for sure!