Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Insider Reveals Future For 86, Camry, Tacoma, And Lexus

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      02-22-2020 02:27 PM #1
      Toyota Insider Reveals Future For 86, Camry, Tacoma, And Lexus

Corolla Cross and Venza are planned.

After discovering what Ford has in tow for the next few years from an insider familiar with the Blue Oval’s plans, today we’re sharing some insight about what Toyota and Lexus have on the agenda. Our source has sent us a photo from an internal presentation proving he knows what he’s talking about, but for obvious reasons, we can’t share it here.

First up, the second-generation 86 that has been confirmed by Toyota and Subaru as another sports car tie-up is reportedly scheduled to come out in July 2021 and go on sale as a 2022MY. That’s all the info he has on the rear-wheel-drive coupe, but the latest intel suggests it’ll be sold as a “GR 86” with around 255 turbocharged horses and an improved interior with better materials.

If the days of two-door cars are behind you and a family sedan is more relevant to your needs, our source has informed us the Camry is due to be refreshed this fall for the 2021MY and will switch to the next generation for the 2024MY. As for the Avalon, the bigger sedan is programmed for a nip and tuck for the 2022 model year.

There will be some new additions to the range as in September 2021 production of a Corolla Cross will start for the 2022MY. The crossover-inspired Corolla will be built in Alabama at the plant Toyota is building together with Mazda as part of a $1.6-billion investment. As reported before, the “Venza” moniker is coming back for a new midsize crossover due to be released in the last quarter of this year.

Since we’re on the subject of high-riding vehicles, our Toyota insider also has the scoop on the RAV4, which is due for a mid-cycle refresh for the 2022MY. The 4Runner and Sequoia will get a next generation in 2022 for the 2023MY, with the company still deciding on whether the former should be built in North America. The latter will be heavily based on the next Tundra.

As for the iconic Land Cruiser, the U.S. model will reportedly be sold only with five seats as a “serious off-roader” without an emphasis on luxury. It will be offered at a significantly lower price, but its launch date is not known at this point.

Truck fans will want to know the next-generation Tundra will premiere in December 2021 for the 2022MY to inaugurate the TNGA-F platform. It’ll be equipped with a twin-turbo V6 hybrid for the range-topping model. As for the Tacoma, a next-gen model is scheduled for the 2024MY, while the Hilux and Fortuner are due to receive facelifts in the near future ahead of switching to the next gen in 2023. Interestingly, the insider doesn’t exclude the possibility of a unified Hilux and Tacoma model, but he remains cautious.

Toyota/Lexus are looking to drop the V8 engine in vehicles that cost less than $90,000 and will introduce a new twin-turbo V8 in 2022 in the LC-F.

Speaking of Lexus, the 2022MY will bring a facelift for the LS and ES sedans, while the GS is going to be retired. Apparently, the Mirai and ES are seen are replacements for the aging sedan, but it is believed Lexus dealers were shocked when the fuel cell rear-wheel-drive sedan was introduced with a Toyota badge rather than a Lexus. As for the IS, the next-gen model is said to arrive during the 2021 calendar year.

On the SUV side, the entry-level UX will be facelifted during the 2021 calendar year for the 2022MY. The same model year will see the introduction of an all-new NX slated to come out in the fall of 2021 on the TNGA-K platform with five different powertrains, including a 2.5-liter plug-in hybrid with 40 miles (64 kilometers) of electric range. The NX is said to use a newly developed infotainment system with a 14-inch touchscreen as part of a “unique cockpit.” Some of the other tech will include a cloud-based navigation system and remote parking using a smartphone app, while the F-Sport model will offer 20-inch wheels. We’re being told it will have a “strikingly avant-garde design with revolutionary tech.”

Another model bound to ride on the TNGA-K platform will be the 2023 RX due to arrive in the 2022 calendar year as a “much better executed three-row family vehicle.” The current GX will remain in production until 2022, with a replacement currently in development for a 2023 launch.

The next LX will reportedly represent a “huge departure” from the current model. It’s said to become far more luxurious and “an entirely different vehicle” compared to the outgoing LX, with a twin-turbo V6 hybrid underneath the hood and a diesel outside of the United States. The next-gen LX is slated to come out sometime in 2022 and will be more along the lines of a Bentley Bentayga rather than a luxed-up Land Cruiser.
      https://www.motor1.com/news/399275/t...future-models/

As a Toyota owner, should I look forward to what's coming or go buy something else next?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      02-22-2020 04:39 PM #2
      The Rav4 is already a Corolla Crossover.
      What will a Corolla Cross actually be? An AWD Corolla hatch with Subaru-inspired body cladding?

The return of the Venza?!

A de-contented Land Cruiser for the US market? Sounds like a fanboi dream...

This all seems like pie-in-the-sky VW think.

I'll believe it when I sees it.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      02-22-2020 04:55 PM #3
      Rav4 is a Camry hatch IIRC.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      02-22-2020 05:02 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      Rav4 is a Camry hatch IIRC.
      Rav4 is Corolla-based, but uses Camry drivetrain.

Highlander is a Camry Crossover.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      02-22-2020 05:28 PM #5
      A lot of this sounds really good. TOO good. Let's see what actually happens, and then what actually gets brought to America.

Vehicles
      2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
      02-22-2020 05:36 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What will a Corolla Cross actually be? An AWD Corolla hatch with Subaru-inspired body cladding?
      Sounds like a new Matrix.
      Nirvana.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-22-2020 05:39 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
      but the latest intel suggests it’ll be sold as a “GR 86” with around 255 turbocharged horses and an improved interior with better materials.
      Cue the BRZ/86 'purist' outrage

9. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      02-22-2020 05:41 PM #8
      This all sounds interesting, the 4Runner is an obvious choice to build in the new Mexico plant.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      02-22-2020 06:03 PM #9
      https://bestcarweb.jp/news/127206

New IS will have Supra (BMW) I6 turbo engine!! 100kg heavier than Supra

Google Translate
      NEW Lexus IS (scheduled to debut in November 2021)

-The new IS is also reborn into a more sporty lineup with the addition of the direct 6 turbo model made by BMW!

Lexus IS is expected to undergo a minor change this year and postpone the full model change, but the original plan will switch to the new model in November 2021.
      * The image is the best car Web CG

The new body size is expected to be almost the same as the current model. The chassis will be changed to the "TNGA" FR platform adopted from the current crown, and it can be expected that the driving quality, including the steering performance, will be greatly improved.

The power unit is planned to be equipped with the currently set direct 4 2L direct injection turbo, 2.5L direct 4 base hybrid, and the newly developed 2.4L direct 4 turbo.

But, not only that, the new model also has a more powerful power unit lineup.
      The new IS will be reborn as a lineup with a sportier character, and a model with a BMW direct 6 turbo will be set (image is CG of Best Car Web)

情報 There is information that a grade equipped with BMW 6 straight turbo will be prepared. It is a 3L straight 6 turbo installed on Supra, with a maximum output / maximum torque of 340ps / 51.0kgm.

重 The new model is expected to be about 100kg heavier than the Supra, but it should show strong driving.

In addition, this model is likely to be positioned as a sporty premium specification, and its debut is expected to appear in 2022, one year after the normal model.
      IS-F: 4.2L V8 TT (detuned from the 670hp V8 TT will used in the next LS F??)
      IS 350?: BMW 3L V6 T
      IS 250h: 2.5L I4 hybrid
      IS 250: 2.4L I4 T
      Last edited by Avus; 02-22-2020 at 08:07 PM.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

11. 02-22-2020 06:38 PM #10
      I always kinda liked the Venza. Why did it fail? Did it come out just a bit too soon before the SUV/crossover craze? I think it still looks pretty fresh despite coming out over 10 years ago, except for using the old Toyota face I guess.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      02-22-2020 06:45 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by TheCool View Post
      I always kinda liked the Venza. Why did it fail? Did it come out just a bit too soon before the SUV/crossover craze? I think it still looks pretty fresh despite coming out over 10 years ago, except for using the old Toyota face I guess.
      Very expensive but inferior interior.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Vehicles
      14 s4 6mt
      02-22-2020 06:55 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      Sounds like a new Matrix.
      The Rav4 is already a Corolla Crossover.
      hopefully it's closer to the touring sports.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      02-22-2020 08:09 PM #13
      Thinking the Corolla Cross will be a Mazda CX-3/Honda HRV/Crosstrek competitor, slotting in below the RAV4.

That Land Cruiser tidbit sounds like pure fantasy.
      Last edited by Sporin; 02-22-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
      02-22-2020 08:25 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Thinking the Corolla Cross will be a Mazda CX-3/Honda HRV/Crosstrek competitor, slotting in below the RAV4.
      I'm confused about how this plays with the C-HR already in the lineup.
      Nirvana.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      02-22-2020 08:53 PM #15
      But C-HR is none of those vehicles - it's just a funky Scion that Toyota dealers got stuck with.

And the CX-3 is DOA (to be replaced by the CX-30)

17. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      02-22-2020 09:04 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by EverthingIsTerrible View Post
      It could happen but I'll believe it when I see it...that's a lot of overlap considering they're going to introduce a 4-cyl Supra at about that power but presumably more weight.

Vehicles
      02-22-2020 09:42 PM #17
      But C-HR is none of those vehicles - it's just a funky Scion that Toyota dealers got stuck with.

And the CX-3 is DOA (to be replaced by the CX-30)
      Agreed, CH-R is just a weirdo entry, this will be more mainstream. They sell less than 50k CH-Rs a year. Honda sells twice as many HRVs. Subaru’s sells nearly 3 times as many Crosstreks.

I meant CX-30, thank you.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      02-22-2020 11:26 PM #18
      The CH-R is only FWD. If Toyota decides to give it AWD....

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      03-24-2020 10:15 PM #19
      Looks like there is some new rumors, even from the source

https://jalopnik.com/details-of-six-...-86-1842473009

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      03-24-2020 10:52 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by EverthingIsTerrible View Post
      The turbocharged engine is only a rumour. They would be silly to give it extra displacement AND a turbo. My money is on ~220hp with a bump in torque.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      03-25-2020 10:01 AM #21
      Interesting news!

TTV6 for next gen Tundra has my interest. I've always liked the Ford EB engines & easy tuning potential. Will it be 3.5L TT from current LS in truck-duty tune/fortification? Also, is "hybrid" for Tundra really the 48-volt integration like FCA does with the RAM?

Also like that they'll finally roll out a GX replacement in 2023. This is my first choice for a rugged SUV, but my wife can't get past the outdated infotainment. I assume a new generation should address her complaints.

I like the idea of a de contented Land Cruiser as well. I remember thinking it was a better value to go lightly pre-owned LX if you truly wanted an off-road capable Toyota/Lexus SUV, LC always commanded a premium for really no reason as LX isn't any less capable.

Also like the thought of continued BMW turbo I6's in a next gen IS. Always liked the IS, but it needs more power.
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

23. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      03-25-2020 10:16 AM #22
      If it were true, thats great news about the 86 getting factory forced induction. That will make it an even better platform to build on.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-25-2020 10:19 AM #23
      Hopefully the turbo doesn't ruin the BRZ. The FA24 already exists and would solve all its problems with none of the turbo's downsides.

Very curious about the Venza.

Vehicles
      03-25-2020 10:20 AM #24
      With all the new excitement in the "Offroad Ready 4x4 SUV" space, I'd love to see Toyota do a new FJ that goes straight at the Wrangler/Bronco/Defender. They have all the pieces to do it, and do it really well.

03-25-2020 10:31 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Hopefully the turbo doesn't ruin the BRZ. The FA24 already exists and would solve all its problems with none of the turbo's downsides.
      What's the highest redline version of the FA24? Could be some enthusiasts don't like the idea of a lower revving, larger displacement engine but on the other side, turbo motors tend to have have lower redlines than their N/A counterparts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast