The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Insider Reveals Future For 86, Camry, Tacoma, And Lexus

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '00 GTI 1.8t
      03-25-2020 10:32 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by linked article

Sequoia will get a next generation in 2022 for the 2023MY
      Wow, so soon? That's just 15 years from the last full redesign! Hopefully it gets liposuction. The current one is very puffy.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-25-2020 10:54 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      What's the highest redline version of the FA24? Could be some enthusiasts don't like the idea of a lower revving, larger displacement engine but on the other side, turbo motors tend to have have lower redlines than their N/A counterparts.
      The FA24 has the same 86mm stroke as the FA20 in the current BRZ. Not unlike the VQ37 in my beloved G, which revved to 7.5K out of the box and 8K reliably. I can't see why bigger pistons would kill the revvability. Much simpler than turbocharging

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      03-25-2020 11:14 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      The FA24 has the same 86mm stroke as the FA20 in the current BRZ. Not unlike the VQ37 in my beloved G, which revved to 7.5K out of the box and 8K reliably. I can't see why bigger pistons would kill the revvability. Much simpler than turbocharging
      Yeah a slightly hot-rodded NA 2.4 would be great. I hope they go with a generic 2.0T though so my car maintains better value against the new ones.

03-25-2020 01:03 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
      Looks like there is some new rumors, even from the source

https://jalopnik.com/details-of-six-...-86-1842473009
      It's just rehash of what was reported in another website a month ago. Don't ever change Jalopnik...

6. Member
      Vehicles
      19 GLI Autobahn
      03-25-2020 01:36 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      Yeah a slightly hot-rodded NA 2.4 would be great. I hope they go with a generic 2.0T though so my car maintains better value against the new ones.
      What I would love to see is a "base" model with a NA 2.4, and a STI/GT-S model with the turbo mill, so both parties get what they want - or if Subaru took the turbo route, and Toyota took the NA route and each actually made their version more differentiated than the way the twins are now. I am very keen on the next BRZ since but would really like a NA 2.4 that is built for sports car duty, but i totally understand the appeal of turbo torks.

I don't think these will step on the Supra because they have manuals as options, and presumably would still be priced about 10k+ cheaper. I admit the 4 cyl Supra will be very appealing, but I would really want a manual.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      03-25-2020 07:42 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      What I would love to see is a "base" model with a NA 2.4, and a STI/GT-S model with the turbo mill, so both parties get what they want - or if Subaru took the turbo route, and Toyota took the NA route and each actually made their version more differentiated than the way the twins are now. I am very keen on the next BRZ since but would really like a NA 2.4 that is built for sports car duty, but i totally understand the appeal of turbo torks.

I don't think these will step on the Supra because they have manuals as options, and presumably would still be priced about 10k+ cheaper. I admit the 4 cyl Supra will be very appealing, but I would really want a manual.
      This would be great actually. I would just hope that offering both engines won't drive up the price of both respectively.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      03-25-2020 08:15 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      It's just rehash of what was reported in another website a month ago. Don't ever change Jalopnik...
      Now I'm reading on some Toyota forums that the news is "fake news"...more to come.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      03-25-2020 09:24 PM #33
      Now I'm reading on some Toyota forums that the news is "fake news"...more to come.
      IT sounds like nonsense. Why would they make a turbo 86 when a 4 cylinder Supra is coming?

10. Member
      Vehicles
      03-25-2020 11:13 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      IT sounds like nonsense. Why would they make a turbo 86 when a 4 cylinder Supra is coming?
      no idea, but there's not much to go on besides heresay and speculation from whatever information that seaps out.

03-26-2020 12:48 AM #35
      Not fake news. What caused the media coverage this week was a presentation slide that someone leaked from an internal Toyota meeting.

2018 Fiat 500e
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 quattro manual
      2006 Lotus Exige

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      03-26-2020 06:29 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Rav4 is Corolla-based, but uses Camry drivetrain.

Highlander is a Camry Crossover.
      correct

Vehicles
      '19 4Runner TRD Offroad, 2012 V-Strom 650 ADV
      03-26-2020 10:12 AM #37
      I'm surprised that the 4Runner production could take place in NA, but it does make sense from a financial perspective. I don't know whether this is a real concern or not, but could some of the 4runner loyalists be dismayed by it no longer built in Japan if that happens? I don't know.

Although secretly I'm kind of of glad that the new gen is still a couple of years away. This plus another year to work out the kinks of a (presumably) all-new generation puts me about the time when I'd be looking to replace my current one. Depending on the goodies the new one offers, I may be quite interested.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-26-2020 10:21 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by AHTOXA View Post
      I'm surprised that the 4Runner production could take place in NA, but it does make sense from a financial perspective. I don't know whether this is a real concern or not, but could some of the 4runner loyalists be dismayed by it no longer built in Japan if that happens? I don't know.

Although secretly I'm kind of of glad that the new gen is still a couple of years away. This plus another year to work out the kinks of a (presumably) all-new generation puts me about the time when I'd be looking to replace my current one. Depending on the goodies the new one offers, I may be quite interested.
      The fact that Land Cruisers and 4Runners have always been build in Japan has always been a selling point for me. Yes, I know there is theoretically no difference factory to factory, but that's a bias I carry, it is what it is.

Vehicles
      '19 4Runner TRD Offroad, 2012 V-Strom 650 ADV
      03-26-2020 10:26 AM #39
      Yeah. I'd be lying if I said the 4Runner being made in Japan didn't carry a little weight when I bought it. Especially after getting out of some not-so-reliable new domestics I had in the last 4-6 years.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      03-26-2020 02:15 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
      Not fake news. What caused the media coverage this week was a presentation slide that someone leaked from an internal Toyota meeting.

So there was some Lexus news that might have been thrown in along with the Toyota news, those rumors are more speculative, but I think the Toyota news now is firm.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      03-26-2020 02:20 PM #41
      Yeah. I'd be lying if I said the 4Runner being made in Japan didn't carry a little weight when I bought it. Especially after getting out of some not-so-reliable new domestics I had in the last 4-6 years.
      Fit and finish is noticeably better on my Yaris than on our Mississippi-built Corolla. Nothing's really bad about the Corolla but the tolerances aren't nearly as tight on panel gaps and interior fitment.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

03-26-2020 02:25 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post

Sienna going all hybrid? That's going to make a long winter for Pacifica and FCA dealers.

All hybrid crossover is the new Matrix (Corolla Cross) I assume.

New CUV is Venza.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      03-26-2020 02:35 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      The fact that Land Cruisers and 4Runners have always been build in Japan has always been a selling point for me. Yes, I know there is theoretically no difference factory to factory, but that's a bias I carry, it is what it is.
      Same here. Right or wrong, the bias is there. That J Vin is sought after.

Then again, if car buying is eventually going towards a sharing or short term leasing on a even larger scale than what we have today, it's likely than any loss in loyal buyers will easily be replaced with conquest buyers.

20. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-26-2020 05:23 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Fit and finish is noticeably better on my Yaris than on our Mississippi-built Corolla. Nothing's really bad about the Corolla but the tolerances aren't nearly as tight on panel gaps and interior fitment.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Same here. Right or wrong, the bias is there. That J Vin is sought after.

Then again, if car buying is eventually going towards a sharing or short term leasing on a even larger scale than what we have today, it's likely than any loss in loyal buyers will easily be replaced with conquest buyers.

It means whatever Toyota wants it to mean. They can spec the cars to be as good or just "good enough" at any place or time.

My Japanese built Honda Fit isn't nearly as well built as my American made Accord was. It's not even close. Granted, it's a couple of slots up, which makes it logical that the materials in the Accord were better, but it also had fewer issues and little things keep happening to the Fit that never happened to the Accord, even though the Accord had 50,000 more miles on it and was a few years older when I got rid of it that the Fit does/is now. I've now broken the second sun visor clip on the driver's side and one on the passenger's. 2 wheel bearings have failed, I've had serious water intrusion, failed coil packs, belt tensioner issues and the radio display has now failed. I know there was something else, but it's currently escaping me. None of those things happened with the Accord and it held up pretty well to being my nephew's college car, where it (naturally) took a beating! My sister bought it new and it had a total of two issues. The detent for the cruise control switch wouldn't keep it "on", so I jammed a toothpick in there, cut it, painted the end black and hid it completely and the turn signal relay failed. Other than wear items such as brake pads and fluids, that's it. No other failures since it was new to the time it had 248,000 miles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

21. 03-26-2020 06:01 PM #45
      There is no way in hell new IS gets any BMW powertrain but that rumor is not part of this leak anyway.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      03-26-2020 06:18 PM #46
      Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC those Fits were not originally designed for US consumption and they rushed the federalization of the old car (first came out in '01) when gas prices rose. They are good city cars but, IMO, share some traits with the Mirage where they don't hold up to US duty cycles and high highway speeds.

The Yaris is tough and popular in developing countries with bad roads. Additionally they had experience working out the teething issues with the Echo/Vitz (including in Canada which got a hatch version), most notably the suspension which was a bit scary in those. Mine has had zero issues aside from peeling clear coat on the roof, well, aside from the shifter linkage getting a little squeaky every years.

I'll go so far to say that the Yaris has better build quality than the previous-generation Camry. The interior of those is loose, large tolerance, and creaks and squeaks like a '90s/'00s American car.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      03-26-2020 07:03 PM #47

Autoline discusses the leak (five weeks later than this thread) at the 5:29 mark.

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      03-27-2020 03:28 AM #48
      86 with the 2.4T seems almost too good to be true, it will be the hottest car on the market if it materializes. I have no idea what that's going to do to the Supra's desirability.

Given the SUV/crossover sales climate I'm not surprised at all to see the Venza come back, I'm sure it will be the choptop swoop roof "sporty" variant in the lineup, to diverge itself from the Highlander's family hauler aesthetic. Let's hope they do a lot better job with it than the original Venza.

I wonder if the smaller crossover will finally be the "Prius Crossover" they talked about a couple years back, but nothing has really materialized.

I can't imagine how the Land Cruiser could become a lower-priced 5-seat offroader since the 4Runner already does that, maybe they're planning it as a retro-spirited thing in the vein of the Defender and Bronco?
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Vehicles
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      03-27-2020 07:40 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I'd say yes. This is purely anecdotal and some of it may be attributed to higher overall complexity, but my 4Runner was superior to my wife's Highlander in terms of build quality. Gosh, I just want an LC. Even another 4Runner. I miss it.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      03-27-2020 08:28 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      I'd say yes. This is purely anecdotal and some of it may be attributed to higher overall complexity, but my 4Runner was superior to my wife's Highlander in terms of build quality. Gosh, I just want an LC. Even another 4Runner. I miss it.
      I think this is just due to the 4Runner being a more expensive vehicle. I mean the Avalon is built here, and is nicer than the Camry.... because it costs more lol.

The real test would be to see if the same vehicle made here was of different quality than one made in Japan. Can't really compare build quality of completely different models.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast