Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 200,000 mile 2011 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 resurrection * CRICKETS *

1. 02-28-2020 08:49 AM #26
      I got two receipts with the purchase of the truck; one for the transmission, and one for the Takata airbag recall. So at least I know THAT'S good.

This weekend's weather is supposed to be nice so I hope to get some work done; keep an eye out for updates.

One last thing, if ANYBODY has got input, ideas, suggestions or other recomendations about anything that you see, please don't hesitate to chime in. I don't have any feelings left to hurt

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      10 Genesis
      02-28-2020 09:27 AM #27
      Following. I have a 300k+ mile 2011 Ranger 2.3 that I bought from my work fleet. Special order for one of the older drivers because it’s not a base trim as is has some options.
      They blew the trans when it became the extra vehicle that everyone uses, put a reman trans in and it dropped a valve when they were backing out of the shop. I’ve done nothing but buy an engine and sold it to a friend (who is making payments) that’s swapping the engine himself.
      I’m looking forward to you finishing your truck because I gave up on mine almost immediately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan
      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis
      2011 Ford Ranger

4. 02-28-2020 08:23 PM #28
      Got home from work and needed a wrench session to unwind.

As you can surely see, it's a bit crusty. Builder longblock stripped down, ready for disassembly, inspection and cleaning.

Tools everywhere, cleanup and a shower beer are in my near future.

Last edited by jaystone; 02-28-2020 at 08:25 PM.

5. 02-29-2020 02:27 PM #29
      Tore everything down for cleaning. Original timing chain guides were toast. This donor motor had just under 100K and was a 2009. Rear upper timing cassette was good. Front upper casset was half there. Lower front guides were half there too. They will run like this for quite a while according to the webernets, until either a big chunk gets wedged between the chain and a gear causing a timing error (valves meet pistons), or they are just too noisy for the owner to bear.

Pistons and bores are nice, no lips, scratches, or gouges. Crosshatching still visible. Little wipe down and some WD40 to prevent flash rust.

Heads and lower oil pan/girdle are soaking. I'll clean those up tomorrow. Was s'posed to be sunny and near 60 today with snow tomorrow afternoon. That proved to be a lie...barely 50 and overcast. I was pondering doing shocks and suspension today or tomorrow, but it'll have to wait.

6. 02-29-2020 06:15 PM #30
      So here is where I start getting into trouble.

I'm not building a motor for max street cred, but I can't help but look at the intake valves in this head and wonder if de-shrouding them a bit may be worth the effort. Same with gasket metching the intake and exhaust manifolds. Kinda looks like the Ford enginerds were looking to induce swirl instead of flow...low RPM torx instead of high RPM HP.

It's already a bit of a dog here at altitude, and fuel economy was never this motors strong point. What's the worst that could happen?

Last edited by jaystone; 02-29-2020 at 06:17 PM.

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      02-29-2020 06:22 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      Here it is.

Nice place to start, looks solid with a lot of potential. I've always been a fan of the Ranger. In for the ride.

I'm not building a motor for max street cred, but I can't help but look at the intake valves in this head and wonder if de-shrouding them a bit may be worth the effort. Same with gasket metching the intake and exhaust manifolds. Kinda looks like the Ford enginerds were looking to induce swirl instead of flow...low RPM torx instead of high RPM HP.

It's already a bit of a dog here at altitude, and fuel economy was never this motors strong point. What's the worst that could happen?
      ... and here we go....
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      02-29-2020 06:51 PM #32

***Disclaimer: I'm not an engine builder***

I see what you mean around the intake valve, BUT, any material you remove would increase the combustion chamber volume and in turn decrease the compression ratio... right? I'm not sure I'd want to play with the cylinder heads without actual flow testing by someone who knows a lot more than I do.

However, gasket matching the manifolds is relatively easy and if you mess up they are easy to replace. You already have spares in the truck now. Grind away.

9. 02-29-2020 07:32 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      ***Disclaimer: I'm not an engine builder***

I see what you mean around the intake valve, BUT, any material you remove would increase the combustion chamber volume and in turn decrease the compression ratio... right? I'm not sure I'd want to play with the cylinder heads without actual flow testing by someone who knows a lot more than I do.

However, gasket matching the manifolds is relatively easy and if you mess up they are easy to replace. You already have spares in the truck now. Grind away.
      From what I've seen, the 4.0L SOHC V6 has a compression ratio of 9.somethin:1 with 60somethin CC heads. By doing some de-shrouding, I'd lower the effective CR a bit, but I don't think it'd be enough to be a detriment.

I'm kinda thinking a heart breaking dyno session before and after may be in order?
      Last edited by jaystone; 02-29-2020 at 07:34 PM.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      02-29-2020 07:39 PM #34
      From what I've seen, the 4.0L SOHC V6 has a compression ratio of 9.somethin:1 with 60somethin CC heads. By doing some de-shrouding, I'd lower the effective CR a bit, but I don't think it'd be enough to be a detriment.

I'm kinda thinking a heart breaking dyno session before and after may be in order?
      Go for it! Might as well deck the head while you're at it, maybe gain back some compression ratio.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      02-29-2020 09:00 PM #35
      In. I've had a soft spot for Rangers since high school; my first ride was an '84 Ranger with the 2.3L and a 4-speed.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

12. 03-01-2020 04:33 PM #36
      Here we go.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      03-01-2020 04:51 PM #37
      I can already hear the carbide bit noise and feel the aluminum chips everywhere. EVERYWHERE. I hate aluminum.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      03-01-2020 04:54 PM #38
      ***Disclaimer again: still not an engine builder***

Looking at the combustion chamber, would it be worth it to smooth the edges of your cut over into that cast dimple? Kind of even out the contours so there are no sharp edges. Something something flame front something something?

15. 03-01-2020 04:54 PM #39
      result

16. 03-01-2020 05:31 PM #40
      Now that I've started, I'm now taking a hardcore backyard DIY approach to this project. For better or worse, I am going to do everything myself.

EDIT...except alignments. I've done strings and levels and tape measures before. Forget all that mess.

To some, that may seem like cutting corners. To me, I'm going to try and show how a little ingenuity and resourcefulness can create a satisfactory result. I hope to take some of the mystery out of fixing stuff.

The internet is full of knowledge, and I am far from the smartest chump out there. I hope in some way this thread encourages anybody reading to jump off the deep end once in a while.

If you want to learn to swim, you're going to have to get wet.
      Last edited by jaystone; 03-01-2020 at 06:07 PM.

17. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      03-01-2020 07:18 PM #41
      My brother had a first gen Ranger, extended cab with a 5spd and 4wd. Great truck
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

18. 03-02-2020 01:12 PM #42
      Night work this week. Took care of removing the old hydraulic valvelash adjusters. Needed to head up the head and use vise grips to wiggle the old ones out. New ones on the way.

Also took care of a chowdered thread on the water outlet on the passenger side head. Drill, tap, helicoil M6x1.0. This engine is a thoroughly metric piece with some internal and external torx fasteners to keep you alert.

Last, freshen up the valve seat surfaces with a little hand lap action. Exhaust valves had some pitting, will need a bit more work.

19. 03-02-2020 01:39 PM #43
      something fun just arrived. 04/05 Honeycomb grill.

20. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      03-02-2020 04:17 PM #44
      Not sure how I missed this. Love it.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      03-02-2020 05:17 PM #45
      Any plans to deck the heads a bit?

22. 03-02-2020 06:40 PM #46
      Heads and block will both get surfaced. I've measured for warping and both heads show no distortion.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      03-02-2020 07:53 PM #47

Love this style of grille.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

24. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      16v I4, Twin Turbo Charged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      03-02-2020 08:04 PM #48

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      2002 Impreza OBS, 2000 F350, 1996 4Runner, 1963 Riviera
      03-03-2020 08:30 AM #49
      moar!
      @saugster_pnw

Vehicles
      It varies.
      03-03-2020 09:37 AM #50
      I love projects like this.

I had a '99 extended cab 4WD Ranger with the 3.0 Vulcan way back in 2001-02. It was slow, thirsty and thrashy but still a great little truck.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast