VWVortex.com - Golf 8 dashboard is a terrible mistake
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 50 of 50

    Thread: Golf 8 dashboard is a terrible mistake

    1. Member Hajduk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2000
      Location
      Ottawa CDN
      Posts
      17,838
      Vehicles
      Mercedes A250 4Matic
      06-30-2020 09:42 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by 2016vwturbo View Post
      I bet we will see a bunch of features eliminated for NA since we can sue the living crap outta VW if something bad happens.....

      This must be why Tesla was litigated out of business.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 21st, 2013
      Posts
      25
      07-03-2020 11:49 AM #27
      Yeah, My wife had an 07 Passat with the Sport package (18" wheels, 6 Speed w real leather sport seats) we bought brand new. She loved it (especially the sport seats and tan interior) but it was an oil burner from the start and getting tired (160K) plus the fenders had started rusting. I thought about rebuilding or swapping the engine and replacing the fenders but thought it wasn't worth it (big mistake). We traded it in (only $1500) a few years ago and bought her a 2014 Audi A4 with a 6 Speed and Sport seats but because buying used you are limited as far as interior and colors go we were able to get white but chose a Black / Brown interior. While it's nice the darker interior makes the car seem much smaller and the Climate Control sucks ass. The VW Climatronic was so easy and simple to use (3 Dials). She is used to it now but every time I drive it I am glad I didn't buy an Audi. I now have a MK6 2 dorr R that I bought 2 years ago because I didn't want a 4 door. Looking at the MK8 R I may end up getting a used MK7 or 7.5 in a few years because the 8 doesn't do much for me. At least VW hasn't go the way of most other manufacturers and plop the nav screen on top of the dash like a Tom-Tom from days gone by. I love some other brands as far as Exterior looks go (BMW, Mazda) but having to look at that screen every time I get in is a No Go. Even the newer A4s did that but it looks as though the newer ones are starting to go back to having it integrated into the dash. I have to say the biggest one that disappoints me is the Mercedes. It looks almost as bad as a Tesla or the newer EV cars that have a giant tablet sticking out.

    4. Member swedesc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2019
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      163
      Vehicles
      '16 S60, '19 XC90, '20 Jetta
      07-08-2020 09:45 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by 2016vwturbo View Post
      I bet we will see a bunch of features eliminated for NA since we can sue the living crap outta VW if something bad happens.....


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I highly doubt anyone would be able to sue over the controls being touch. Not to mention Volvo and Tesla have used all touch control systems for a long while now and the majority of owners have no issues. I work at a Volvo dealership and even the older customers have close to no issue getting familiar with the Sensus system. Matter of fact the touch systems are easier to use than the older systems with buttons and dials. As for safety no one has died in SPA car (SPA is the platform name for all the new Volvos). I also don't think this will be an issue for many gen-z drivers.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 18th, 2015
      Location
      GA. USA
      Posts
      1,437
      Vehicles
      '19 ORYX MK7.5 .:R
      07-09-2020 09:09 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by swedesc View Post
      I highly doubt anyone would be able to sue over the controls being touch. Not to mention Volvo and Tesla have used all touch control systems for a long while now and the majority of owners have no issues. I work at a Volvo dealership and even the older customers have close to no issue getting familiar with the Sensus system. Matter of fact the touch systems are easier to use than the older systems with buttons and dials. As for safety no one has died in SPA car (SPA is the platform name for all the new Volvos). I also don't think this will be an issue for many gen-z drivers.
      Read my entire post before commenting. I was talking about a lot of the automated driving features being deemed dangerous, and thus will not make it to our market. Our roads are not like in Europe, and if the car on a German test drive decides to almost crash into oncoming traffic, due to the lack of a centerline, you bet your ass off that we will not get that feature here. Why do you think USA VW’s and Audi’s are missing the autonomous parking feature already?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    6. Member swedesc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2019
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      163
      Vehicles
      '16 S60, '19 XC90, '20 Jetta
      07-09-2020 12:37 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 2016vwturbo View Post
      Read my entire post before commenting. I was talking about a lot of the automated driving features being deemed dangerous, and thus will not make it to our market. Our roads are not like in Europe, and if the car on a German test drive decides to almost crash into oncoming traffic, due to the lack of a centerline, you bet your ass off that we will not get that feature here. Why do you think USA VW’s and Audi’s are missing the autonomous parking feature already?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I did read the entire post and you used the words “new technology,” which is very generic. Anyways, I don’t think this will be an issue. Tons of manufacturers have already implemented semi-autonomous technology into their cars. Volvo has Pilot Assist, Cadillac has Supercruise, Tesla has autopilot, etc. When issues like you mentioned occur they’re almost always fixed with a simple software update. This shouldn’t be a problem.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    7. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 8th, 2009
      Location
      Louisville, KY
      Posts
      65
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      07-09-2020 03:33 PM #31
      Doesn't Hyundai have the parking feature where you aren't even in your car? Thats a lot of risk/liability to take on. At least if I am in the car I have the option to put my foot on the brake or control the steering wheel.

      I think the technology is constantly evolving and getting better and better. As I mentioned in a previous post, we have a Volvo which is all touchscreen minus a volume knob. In the beginning it was a little cumbersome, but we quickly adapted. I think that is the problem with all these quick reviews, people are running into. They are not spending enough time with it to learn the system and adapt. The amount of vehicles that this is going to apply to, I have to imagine that VW did some thorough testing and decision making before bringing it out to to the public. I mean I would think a simple knob is going to be cheaper to make then a touch slider and the coding that would have to go into it, but maybe I am wrong.

      Again back to the touchscreen, how often are you really adjusting things? I set the temp and if its auto, it does its own thing. VW said it was going to be a car that is connected. So maybe it has remote start to allow you to warm/cool the car before you get there. For music, personally, I set myself up with Spotify, or whatever is on my phone that I want to listen to, and will adjust via the wheel controls once I am moving. I don't see the general public fussing around that much once they are driving.

    8. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2019
      Posts
      11
      07-10-2020 04:30 PM #32
      Touch screens have nothing to do with technology, we simply see more of them now for the following reasons:
      (same for gauge clusters)

      1) Cheaper than actually providing hard switch gear/dials. If manufactures could put power windows, mirrors, wipers, door locks in them - they would - and might lobby just that.
      2) Getting ready for all electric - less physical wiring, less current/voltage used, less wiring complexity.
      (above same for the shifter to shaver junk)
      3) Average Joe perceives touch screens as "high-tech" no matter if they are user friendly or not,....and fall for them. It's the kewl tappy, touchy, swipey picture thingies syndrome.....
      Most younger drivers grew up on touch screens - buttons are alien to them

      It's certainly NOT safer,....I can adjust many things now (mainly AC) without taking my eyes off the road and a volume knob is still worth its weight in gold.

      The 7/7.5 was really a good mix of buttons and screens - optimum IMO, very good looking, integrated and functional.

      Like most I may go look at a v8 R, but the rest of it will have to be fantastic to overlook the other shortcomings.

    9. Member swedesc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2019
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      163
      Vehicles
      '16 S60, '19 XC90, '20 Jetta
      07-11-2020 12:31 AM #33
      You do have a point. Touch screens do not equate to something being high tech. However, many manufacturers are quickly getting rid of physical controls moving them into infotainment displays. For me, it's not something I mind. I'm all for it. It clears up clutter and makes the interior feel much cleaner. I don't understand people getting so worked up over touchscreens.

      When I'm driving I'm not fiddling with the AC for the majority of the ride. I set my temp at the beginning and I'm on my way. Although I really don't even find it hard to adjust the temp, fan speed or zone while on the move in the XC90. It's not difficult the controls are big.

      I'm not crazy about the exterior looks of the new mk8 but love the interior. It's got me considering the GTI for my next car.

    10. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2017
      Location
      Central CT
      Posts
      57
      Vehicles
      2017 Alltrack S 6MT
      07-19-2020 08:53 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by the canuck View Post
      I think the technology is constantly evolving and getting better and better. As I mentioned in a previous post, we have a Volvo which is all touchscreen minus a volume knob. In the beginning it was a little cumbersome, but we quickly adapted. I think that is the problem with all these quick reviews, people are running into. They are not spending enough time with it to learn the system and adapt.
      As much as I wanted to hate the new Golf R interior, and I did, the all touch screen design is really not all that bad. Like you, we just took delivery of a Volvo XC40 (my wife's new car) and after driving about 1200miles in the last week, I have to say that once you get used to that and the LCD gauge cluster, it's really nice.

      I may consider a MkVIII Golf R for my next car provided it comes with a 6 or 7spd MT... If not, I'll probably go for a Tesla Model 3 Performance, but at least I'm not totally turned off by the "Infotainment Screen" controls now.

      JB

    11. Member lordnikon228's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2019
      Location
      6ix
      Posts
      110
      Vehicles
      MK7.5 Golf GTI AB
      08-08-2020 06:42 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by builtospill View Post
      I really hope they bring the Dynaudio system back to the North American Golf mk8, and not put that Beats audio crap into it!


      how to upload photos in google images from phone
      It's probably Harman/Kardon.

    12. Member KevinC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Location
      Hereford, AZ
      Posts
      11,280
      Vehicles
      '19 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      08-23-2020 03:45 PM #36

      '19 Golf R
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

    13. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2012
      Posts
      10
      09-01-2020 08:42 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Thomas's quote in this Autogefühl video about the Golf 8 says it all, 'Before it was one of the most simple to use interfaces, but now it is the most complicated.'

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 19th, 2016
      Posts
      309
      09-04-2020 06:04 AM #38
      Unfortunately, touch screens will soon be state-of-the-art and ubiquitous. See, for example, the forthcoming Mercedes S class (at 6:50 et seq). Not a knob in sight. https://www.motor1.com/news/441999/2...-benz-s-class/

    15. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 8th, 2009
      Location
      Louisville, KY
      Posts
      65
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      09-04-2020 07:57 AM #39
      I don't think people would have as big of a problem with the touchscreens, as long as the menu's or getting to certain controls are easily accessible. The few video's I have seen, the journalists all complain that to get to something, its one or two layers deep in the system. I know VW has said that you are supposed to use voice command, but Siri doesn't always get things correct, and that's with a virtual assistant that has had 9 years of learning.

    16. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2019
      Posts
      11
      09-04-2020 09:50 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert View Post
      Thomas's quote in this Autogefühl video about the Golf 8 says it all, 'Before it was one of the most simple to use interfaces, but now it is the most complicated.'
      The more I see this and evaluate it against my present Mk7.5 which is just about perfect- I'm saddened. I had such high hopes for purchasing a new R (now finally with a sunroof)....but I will probably keep my 2018 GTI longer now and see what may happen with a mk8.5. I don't hold out much hopes as it's just cheaper to do this with screens today and people are just snake fancied by them. Technology is supposed to make life easier and safer, this just doesn't do it for me. Will still wait to see it in the flesh though.

    17. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2019
      Posts
      11
      09-04-2020 09:59 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by RennWerks View Post
      Unfortunately, touch screens will soon be state-of-the-art and ubiquitous. See, for example, the forthcoming Mercedes S class (at 6:50 et seq). Not a knob in sight. https://www.motor1.com/news/441999/2...-benz-s-class/
      IMO Modern MBs are just so ugly on the outside (I compare them to a squeezed turd) - I wouldn't even dare to look on the inside. This one is no different - what an ugly integration of screens - the dash panel especially, doesn't look state of the art, just tacked on ugly and cheap - no integration, just a screen mounted. At least it has air vents that will keep the top of your head cool

    18. Member ni4ni's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2001
      Location
      Washington
      Posts
      1,306
      Vehicles
      MK IV R32, MK VII GTI, Arteon
      09-05-2020 01:00 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_boy View Post
      The more I see this and evaluate it against my present Mk7.5 which is just about perfect- I'm saddened. I had such high hopes for purchasing a new R (now finally with a sunroof)....but I will probably keep my 2018 GTI longer now and see what may happen with a mk8.5. I don't hold out much hopes as it's just cheaper to do this with screens today and people are just snake fancied by them. Technology is supposed to make life easier and safer, this just doesn't do it for me. Will still wait to see it in the flesh though.
      Yes, I'm with you there. I was waiting for the Golf R with a sunroof. After seeing what it will be....I'm so disappointed that I sold my 2017 GTI to get another 2019 GTI. Interior/exterior just plain suck from looking at the MK 8 GTI. And what's up with the ugly hood stand? Bring back that Golf R 400 that they were working on with a sunroof and I will be all over fine machine.

    19. Member Hajduk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2000
      Location
      Ottawa CDN
      Posts
      17,838
      Vehicles
      Mercedes A250 4Matic
      09-05-2020 09:00 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by ni4ni View Post
      Yes, I'm with you there. I was waiting for the Golf R with a sunroof. After seeing what it will be....I'm so disappointed that I sold my 2017 GTI to get another 2019 GTI. Interior/exterior just plain suck from looking at the MK 8 GTI. And what's up with the ugly hood stand? Bring back that Golf R 400 that they were working on with a sunroof and I will be all over fine machine.
      I gave up on the Mk8 and replaced my Mk7 GTI with a Mercedes A250 hatch. It has a digital dash too, but it also has real buttons for redundancy.

    20. Member Corrado-Diesel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2012
      Posts
      164
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC( VR6), ('10 Golf TDI, '13 Passat TDI), '17 GTI Sport, ‘19 GTI SE - all MT
      09-10-2020 02:56 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by ni4ni View Post
      Yes, I'm with you there. I was waiting for the Golf R with a sunroof. After seeing what it will be....I'm so disappointed that I sold my 2017 GTI to get another 2019 GTI. Interior/exterior just plain suck from looking at the MK 8 GTI. And what's up with the ugly hood stand? Bring back that Golf R 400 that they were working on with a sunroof and I will be all over fine machine.
      I gave up on the Mk8 and replaced my Mk7 GTI with a Mercedes A250 hatch. It has a digital dash too, but it also has real buttons for redundancy.
      That seems kind of hypocritical when we don’t even know exactly how the 2022 Golf 8 R interior/infotainment system will be for North America.

      If you want a performance hatchback in the US with AWD and manual transmission there is no option other than the Golf R.

    21. Member Corrado-Diesel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2012
      Posts
      164
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC( VR6), ('10 Golf TDI, '13 Passat TDI), '17 GTI Sport, ‘19 GTI SE - all MT
      09-10-2020 03:00 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by ni4ni View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_boy View Post
      The more I see this and evaluate it against my present Mk7.5 which is just about perfect- I'm saddened. I had such high hopes for purchasing a new R (now finally with a sunroof)....but I will probably keep my 2018 GTI longer now and see what may happen with a mk8.5. I don't hold out much hopes as it's just cheaper to do this with screens today and people are just snake fancied by them. Technology is supposed to make life easier and safer, this just doesn't do it for me. Will still wait to see it in the flesh though.
      Yes, I'm with you there. I was waiting for the Golf R with a sunroof. After seeing what it will be....I'm so disappointed that I sold my 2017 GTI to get another 2019 GTI. Interior/exterior just plain suck from looking at the MK 8 GTI. And what's up with the ugly hood stand? Bring back that Golf R 400 that they were working on with a sunroof and I will be all over fine machine.
      The hood stand is for pedestrian safety. My 2013 American Made Passat TDI had one too. If you look it up in the case of an engine fire the gas in the hood struts heat up and shoot the metal bar out. Firefighters and first responders have been injured because of it.

    22. Member Hajduk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2000
      Location
      Ottawa CDN
      Posts
      17,838
      Vehicles
      Mercedes A250 4Matic
      09-10-2020 04:39 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Corrado-Diesel View Post
      That seems kind of hypocritical when we don’t even know exactly how the 2022 Golf 8 R interior/infotainment system will be for North America.

      If you want a performance hatchback in the US with AWD and manual transmission there is no option other than the Golf R.
      The infotainment will be the same as it is in all of the MK8 models. They may speed-up the software but they won't add any buttons.

    23. Member Hajduk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2000
      Location
      Ottawa CDN
      Posts
      17,838
      Vehicles
      Mercedes A250 4Matic
      09-10-2020 04:42 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Corrado-Diesel View Post
      The hood stand is for pedestrian safety. My 2013 American Made Passat TDI had one too. If you look it up in the case of an engine fire the gas in the hood struts heat up and shoot the metal bar out. Firefighters and first responders have been injured because of it.
      I've actually seen this. Not with a VW, but a GM vehicle caught fire in a garage and the gas hood strut shot across the street and dented a neighbours garage door

    24. 09-11-2020 05:36 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Fahrvergnüger View Post
      One of the major things VW USED to have going for it was they still had hard buttons for many functions like heated seats etc and the twist knobs rather than cheaping out and putting it all on the touchscreen the way many other brands did. Now, at a time when Kia and Hyundai and upping their game dramatically and making sure their hot new vehicles still have hard buttons, VW totally misreads the moment and decides to eliminate virtually everything for the touch screen. You've also got grands like Mazda that arguably compete with VW and seem to be judging better and keeping the hard buttons. Disappointing.
      Quote 100%

    25. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2019
      Posts
      11
      09-11-2020 10:24 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      The infotainment will be the same as it is in all of the MK8 models. They may speed-up the software but they won't add any buttons.
      I tend to agree here, and that is too bad. For the very basic quick functions - nothing beats a knob or a button. Trying to fiddle with a screen for basic AC, seat heaters, air-recirc is
      just infuriating to me. Things I can do now without taking my eyes off the road by simple touch,....and yes, I adjust them often.

    26. Member Corrado-Diesel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2012
      Posts
      164
      Vehicles
      1993 VW Corrado SLC( VR6), ('10 Golf TDI, '13 Passat TDI), '17 GTI Sport, ‘19 GTI SE - all MT
      09-11-2020 09:57 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by HughEv View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Fahrvergnüger View Post
      One of the major things VW USED to have going for it was they still had hard buttons for many functions like heated seats etc and the twist knobs rather than cheaping out and putting it all on the touchscreen the way many other brands did. Now, at a time when Kia and Hyundai and upping their game dramatically and making sure their hot new vehicles still have hard buttons, VW totally misreads the moment and decides to eliminate virtually everything for the touch screen. You've also got grands like Mazda that arguably compete with VW and seem to be judging better and keeping the hard buttons. Disappointing.
      Quote 100% <img src="https://www.vwvortex.com/Anthony/Smilies/thumbup.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Thumb Up" class="inlineimg" />
      The Korean car manufacturers aren’t upping their game. It is the same old garbage that will threaten your life while driving.

      I remember when Korean cars were first in the USA. They had big news stories about brand new Korean cars having brake failures on hills etc. I never forgot this and refused/refuse to accept a Korean rental car. Well I’m glad a did because there was a recent recall for modern Korean cars for none other than Brake Line Failures!!!

      Upping their game my arsch.

      ~1992:
      Hyundai/Khia brake failure on tv news. Back then articles were printed in newspapers.

      2013:
      https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....0HL1F020130925

      2017:
      https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile..../idUSKBN18807P

      September 2020:

      https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews...fires-72793532

      https://thebrakereport.com/hyundai-k...-brake-issues/
      Last edited by Corrado-Diesel; 09-18-2020 at 02:53 AM.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.