VWVortex.com - Golf 8 dashboard is a terrible mistake
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Golf 8 dashboard is a terrible mistake

1. 02-29-2020 06:47 AM #1
      Volkswagen will deeply regret replacing their familiar tactile dashboard on the Golf - with real knobs and buttons - with a touchscreen and slider controls. It is so much easier to adjust airconditioning or volume by twisting a knob. People like to touch and feel things - not just tap and swipe.

Apple learned this lesson the hard way when they removed the Escape key on their Macbooks and replaced the physical function buttons with a virtual panel. They were forced to reintroduce the old physical button after a public outcry.

Obviously the Golf 8 designers looked at Tesla and thought they should copy them by removing all the knobs and buttons. But Tesla is a completely different value proposition driven by many early adopters - and even Tesla drivers complain about the lack of basic knobs for aircon and volume. They put up with these faults because the rest of the Tesla cars are so good.

I own a Golf 7 which I absolutely love. I chose it over a BMW 1 series and a small Mercedes because it is so much better for everyday driving. But I will certainly not upgrade to a Golf 8 because I don’t want to have to deal with that ridiculous new virtual dashboard.

I am not alone in my criticism on this point - numerous car reviewers have complained how difficult it is to use this new dashboard. it’s such a shame because everything else about the new Golf 8 seems wonderful. But the dashboard is a dealbreaker.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      MK IV R32, MK VII GTI, Arteon
      02-29-2020 09:52 AM #2
      100% with you there. It only make sense if I only have one (middle) finger on my hand. I wouldn't be able to use the knob then. MK8 is very disappointing for me. Just bring the MK7 Golf R or MK7.5 Golf R with a sun roof and I'll get 2 of them! Those are the design cars that I can't keep my eye off them.
      Last edited by ni4ni; 02-29-2020 at 09:55 AM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 ORYX MK7.5 .:R
      02-29-2020 09:58 AM #3
      I agree. Honda did the same thing and added a volume knob on their latest infotainment system after so many negative comments made about it.
      Every new Golf released I actually liked, always liked how it evolved. After selling my MK7 Golf .:R I was planning on getting the MK8. I watched the VW reveal live on youtube.....I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw it, and 2 weeks later went and got myself a MK7.5 .:R instead. I don’t like the front fascia at all, the rear looks too much like a T-Roc SUV, and the the main reason I dislike it is the fact that there are no more physical buttons for anything. Also VW did a tremendous amount of cost cutting compared to the MK7.5. I saw a list of all the features eliminated in a German car review video and it’s quite a few. I bet VW will update the interior on the MK8.5 or MK9.
      All the touchscreen crap should gave been only available as an option instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      02-29-2020 10:24 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 2016vwturbo View Post
      ...….Also VW did a tremendous amount of cost cutting compared to the MK7.5. I saw a list of all the features eliminated in a German car review video and it’s quite a few. I bet VW will update the interior on the MK8.5 or MK9.
      All the touchscreen crap should gave been only available as an option instead.

Yeah VW do cost cutting alright. Only time will tell but I think they will cost cut themselves. I'm not buying MK8.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI
      03-02-2020 02:33 PM #5
      One of the major things VW USED to have going for it was they still had hard buttons for many functions like heated seats etc and the twist knobs rather than cheaping out and putting it all on the touchscreen the way many other brands did. Now, at a time when Kia and Hyundai and upping their game dramatically and making sure their hot new vehicles still have hard buttons, VW totally misreads the moment and decides to eliminate virtually everything for the touch screen. You've also got grands like Mazda that arguably compete with VW and seem to be judging better and keeping the hard buttons. Disappointing.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      03-02-2020 06:14 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Fahrvergnüger View Post
      One of the major things VW USED to have going for it was they still had hard buttons for many functions like heated seats etc and the twist knobs rather than cheaping out and putting it all on the touchscreen the way many other brands did. Now, at a time when Kia and Hyundai and upping their game dramatically and making sure their hot new vehicles still have hard buttons, VW totally misreads the moment and decides to eliminate virtually everything for the touch screen. You've also got grands like Mazda that arguably compete with VW and seem to be judging better and keeping the hard buttons. Disappointing.
      ^This.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      03-02-2020 06:16 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ni4ni View Post
      .....I'm not buying MK8.
      Yep. A lot of folks I talked to feel the same......I think the ID3 looks better than the new Golf tbh.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      03-03-2020 09:30 AM #8
      I used to feel the same way about the touchscreen and the desire to have buttons. Something that I could adjust by muscle memory. Then we got a new Volvo with everything but the volume button more or less within the touchscreen. I will say it takes a little bit of getting used to. But I also came to the realization that I am not adjusting things that much. I mean you set the temperature and more or less forget about it, since it has auto-control. For music it is either something loaded into the stereo, off of the iPhone via Car-Play, or just terrestrial radio. But again, we aren't switching things that much. And if we need to skip a song, we use the controls that are on the steering wheel. I sort of feel like if you are switching things so often that you are worried about not being able to keep your focus on the road, maybe you shouldn't be driving in the first place, or you need to pull over and do what you need to do.

Change is tough, but I have to think these car manufacturers, who are sinking millions of dollars into these systems, are testing them and getting ample feedback before they just throw it into the car, hoping that the public will like it. Sure not everyone is going to like a system 100%, but that's good. It drives the manufacturers to refine and develop better systems down the road.

Until we sit in it, and test it for ourselves, its hard to really know if it works for us or not.

11. 03-15-2020 08:11 PM #9
      Read a road test on the new MK8, and in the comments someone who had driven one made the point that if you get behind a stinky diesel (as I often do), in a normal car you would just hit the recirc button to block out the fumes. But, in the MK8, you have to go through the menu to get to the recirc setting! By then you're sucking in diesel carcinogens. It is my main complaint about some of the new tech -- it's the opposite of progress if you're making simple functions harder to perform. Some functions need to be instantaneous and ideally, by feel, which the touch-screen rules out in some cases. Make it user-friendly or I'm not interested.

While I prefer the conventional dash in my MK7.5, I'm not reflexively hating the new dash design -- as a design, that is. As a functional thing I have no doubt I'd have some serious issues with it. I just think some of the new designers chase the 'wow-factor' at the expense of rational design.

Vehicles
      GLE350 4Matic
      03-18-2020 01:38 PM #10
      VW and Audi really went all in on touch screens. I think Mercedes/BMW had the better idea where they put in one really big, really nice central display but left most of the primary controls as one row of hard buttons beneath it.

Infotainment in cars has always been kinda bad. Keeping hard controls around mitigated that to a large extent. I don’t think taking them away is a good idea, especially in a lower margin/higher volume car like the golf.

Vehicles
      '19 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      04-08-2020 10:55 PM #11
      Well boys, here it is.. full-blown clusterfarkle exposed! At about 2:30, this poor bastard starts the car and the fan is roaring full blast. Watch him attempt to wrestle with the HORRENDOUS climate controls. Yeah, it's probably his first time behind the wheel, and people who actually like this stuff for some reason might try to defend it by pointing out that he'll "learn it eventually" - but that's a bunch of BS, this is an utter FAIL by VW. They will be forced to rush the mid-cycle refresh out to correct this garbage.

Also - watching this just really shows me how cheap-looking the entire interior is, especially anything/everything in the dash area. Will be very interesting to see early European customer reaction to this thing.

Without further ado, let the sh1tshow begin!

'19 Golf R
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

Vehicles
      04-10-2020 01:33 AM #12
      This sure ensure my disappointment in Volkswagen. Just bring the MK 7.5 Golf R with the sunroof and I'll pick up one in a heart beat. Otherwise bring that Golf R 400 that never hit production with the MK 7 body style. Golf R plus looks pretty lame also.
      Last edited by ni4ni; 04-10-2020 at 02:21 PM.

15. 04-10-2020 09:03 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Well boys, here it is.. full-blown clusterfarkle exposed! At about 2:30, this poor bastard starts the car and the fan is roaring full blast. Watch him attempt to wrestle with the HORRENDOUS climate controls. Yeah, it's probably his first time behind the wheel, and people who actually like this stuff for some reason might try to defend it by pointing out that he'll "learn it eventually" - but that's a bunch of BS, this is an utter FAIL by VW. They will be forced to rush the mid-cycle refresh out to correct this garbage.

Also - watching this just really shows me how cheap-looking the entire interior is, especially anything/everything in the dash area. Will be very interesting to see early European customer reaction to this thing.

Wow! That is horrible to watch. This will be happening in VW Golf 8s all over the world. And this reviewer was relatively young - imagine how older people will feel grappling with a series of screens as they try to adjust the air-conditioning. It's a recipe for disaster and a real danger for drivers. It may cause serious accidents. VW - please fix this problem ASAP. Bring back the basic buttons and knobs.

16. 04-20-2020 05:46 AM #14

Don't met wrong, I totally agree with you that I wish they kept some manual buttons knobs (I actually think the current MK7 infotainment setup is perfect), but according to this video it should be relatively staright forward? Looks like there is a button for shortcut to climate controls.

Vehicles
      05-07-2020 01:53 PM #15
      The Straight Pipes weigh in on the new touch controls. They're not impressed.

Jump ahead to 4:27 for the touch control rant.

'19 Golf R
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

Vehicles
      05-18-2020 07:59 PM #16
      BRUTAL article over at TTaC today... echoes my sentiments to a tee....

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ware-gremlins/

One gets the feeling that VW is in for a rude awakening. Honda found out the hard way that a wonky digital interface is incredibly bad for business. When it nixed volume knobs for touchable sliders a few years ago, the world cried bloody murder until Honda swapped back. However, Volkswagen is applying this theory to the Golf’s entire cabin — and it sounds like things haven’t worked out as intended. Features are reportedly having issues interfacing with each other, potentially rendering the car a total drag to live with if they’re not sorted quickly.

Again, this could have been avoided by taking all of those connectivity features the industry is so eager to implement and throwing them directly into the trash. But then they’d never be able to sell you in-app purchases and harvest your personal data, diluting long-term business plans. Frankly, we get the feeling VW prioritized this data-driven business model at the expense of its physical product. Software headaches are now fairly normal for the German manufacturer, yet it seems dead set on pushing the technology through as quickly as it can manage.

'19 Golf R
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      05-21-2020 08:06 PM #17
      I wish VW did the same as Skoda with their new Octavia. Touchscreens but with hard buttons for climate and rotary buttons on the steering wheel.

Vehicles
      05-23-2020 08:00 PM #18

'19 Golf R
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

21. 05-25-2020 09:10 AM #19
      This video is excellent - it should be required viewing for anyone considering purchasing a Golf 8.

It makes me wonder how the new Golf 8 passed the NCAP safety ratings - because the touchscreen is clearly a safety hazard.