The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-new Audi A3

1. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      03-03-2020 01:54 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      It has been a year and I don't think anyone has figured it out fully yet. Some guys are getting close but nothing 100%. Last I saw some guy has it so the screen will shut off and go down, but then comes back up immediately. lol
      I also find that annoying. In our 2016 A3 you could turn the screen off and it would go back into the dash. With the Q7 it turns off but just stays there blocking your view.

Eh, whatever.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      03-03-2020 01:55 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Is AoA paying you to do this???

The only impact vent height has on comfort is if the vents are so low they are ineffective at cooling the cabin. Most people don't point the vents directly on their faces; in fact when possible HVAC systems are designed to have as low air speeds and direct airflow aimed at occupants as possible. So as long as the A-Class vents help condition the cabin effectively they are fine.

As for this new A3 I like some things about it but Audi is starting to regress in interior design and ergonomics. Thankfully this has decent steering wheel controls as I imagine those will be the infotainment's saving grace.
      The A3 vents and the whole driver's cockpit are giving me edgy and modern Lambo vibes that I like. I get that it is an Audi, so you're gonna argue with me about it. That's fine.

And I would venture to say that chances are a new A3 will cool a driver faster than an A-Class on a 100 degree day. If you disagree, that's fine too. I'm not an automotive HVAC scientist or engineer, it's just a hunch

What is regressing about the interior design and ergonomics?

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      03-03-2020 01:59 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I also find that annoying. In our 2016 A3 you could turn the screen off and it would go back into the dash. With the Q7 it turns off but just stays there blocking your view.

Eh, whatever.
      DOT reverse camera regulations... Or something.

5. Member
      03-03-2020 02:08 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post

This makes me sad. I live in the US and don't know how to drive a car with only 2 pedals. It's so confusing and I'm too stubborn to learn.

6. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      03-03-2020 02:09 PM #55
      stupid kids ruin everything

7. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      03-03-2020 02:10 PM #56
      That makes sense.

So make it pop up if the car goes in reverse. Once car is in a forward moving gear, let me press the button to make it go down.

Wife didn't believe that you couldn't get it down while driving, so the other day she smooshed it down in there herself.

It came right back up.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      03-03-2020 02:25 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      stupid kids ruin everything

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      That makes sense.

So make it pop up if the car goes in reverse. Once car is in a forward moving gear, let me press the button to make it go down.

Wife didn't believe that you couldn't get it down while driving, so the other day she smooshed it down in there herself.

It came right back up.
      That's the way it was before, pops up in reverse. But apparently it took too long, so either in 2018 the DOT changed the rules, or they told Audi to make it better moving forward. Mine retracts but a couple months later they stopped.

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      03-03-2020 03:03 PM #58
      Heckin interior giving me vertigo.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      03-03-2020 09:51 PM #59

Vehicles
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
      03-23-2020 03:49 AM #60
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      03-23-2020 08:41 AM #61
      A lot of dash stroking/hating in here!

All I know is I was impressed when I test drove a pre-owned '18 RS3 several weeks ago. Impressed with the performance, sound, AND interior layout/material quality. I come from a long line of poverty-spec interiors though so I suppose I'm easily impressed!

Anyone want to discuss mechanical differences between the upcoming & current generation?

Seems like basically the same chassis, same wheelbase. Probably same 2.5T engine. This seems to be the case with all manufacturers current "new" generations. No one is investing in all-new chassis unless they incorporate hybrid or all-electric motor options?

Biggest difference I see are the gorgeous fender bulges in the new generation render! Planning on buying a '20 this fall...hope new fenders (similar to M2) don't make me regret my decision!
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

Vehicles
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      03-23-2020 10:39 AM #62
      New Golf and A3 are on the updated MQB architecture. It's an evolution, not revolution, like the first gen models. Since everything is now modularized, there's no real need to throw the baby out with the bathwater for each generation, so you get incremental improvements.

The big push this time around was to improve manufacturing and assembly efficiency. Everything else is pretty much an evolution of what was there before: suspension, drive trains, HVAC, infotainment.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post

All I know is I was impressed when I test drove a pre-owned '18 RS3 several weeks ago. Impressed with the performance, sound, AND interior layout/material quality. I come from a long line of poverty-spec interiors though so I suppose I'm easily impressed!

Anyone want to discuss mechanical differences between the upcoming & current generation?

Seems like basically the same chassis, same wheelbase. Probably same 2.5T engine. This seems to be the case with all manufacturers current "new" generations. No one is investing in all-new chassis unless they incorporate hybrid or all-electric motor options?

Biggest difference I see are the gorgeous fender bulges in the new generation render! Planning on buying a '20 this fall...hope new fenders (similar to M2) don't make me regret my decision!

Vehicles
      A Fancy Nissan
      03-23-2020 11:17 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Travis Grundke View Post
      New Golf and A3 are on the updated MQB architecture. It's an evolution, not revolution, like the first gen models. Since everything is now modularized, there's no real need to throw the baby out with the bathwater for each generation, so you get incremental improvements.

The big push this time around was to improve manufacturing and assembly efficiency. Everything else is pretty much an evolution of what was there before: suspension, drive trains, HVAC, infotainment.
      Hmmm, the RS cars already hold their value quite well. Wonder if this will keep the first gen RS3s artificially high. Right now low mileage "used" 2018's are in the 50-56K range and new ones are in the $56-$65K range depending on options. Hoping these slide into the low 40's with 20K miles so I can pick one up next year.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      03-23-2020 11:23 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post

I'm betting on driveline remaining largely unchanged with a slight power bump but I am also betting on a new rear diff to allow some type of drift mode, solely because the competition is doing it. Apparently if they do that though that style of diff is a lot less strong than current.

Flares I can see going either way but I would have to imagine if they were going to invest in new sheetmetal for the quarterpanels and rear doors they would have done it already.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      03-23-2020 11:34 AM #65
      So journalists have been driving the new S3 prototypes. There are some interesting tidbits regarding the AWD system which will of course carryover to the new RS3 and Golf R.

Haldex 6 and a new generation of Quattro all-wheel drive

One of the main higlights of the 2020 Audi S3 family is its drivetrain. Part of the reason this model has become a significant seller, accounting for one in five A3 sales in the UK, is its all-weather ability and grippy Quattro all-wheel drive. New for the fourth generation is a brand new Haldex 6 multi-plate clutch slung under the boot floor, apportioning drive front and rear in a more sophisticated way than systems from the past two decades.

It’s the VW Group debut for this Borg Warner hardware, which does away with some of the complexity of earlier Haldex clutches and is designed to be lighter and faster to respond; drive at a cruise and the pump is switched off entirely, but the moment the ECU detects slip or a likely need for extra traction (when cornering or driving uphill, say) it primes the pump and applies an extraordinary 44 bars of pressure within 100 milliseconds to engage the mechanical clutch and send drive rearwards. The all-wheel drive systems adds around 70kg of extra weight and will be available on lesser A3s before too long.

For the first time, the S3’s Quattro system can now be entirely rear-wheel drive in extremis, and the electronic brain brakes individual wheels for a torque vectoring effect. Power around a slippery corner at speed, plant the throttle and you can feel the Audi tuck in to the corner, with an impressively neutral feeling and a high level of grip. Instead of having different control systems for the Quattro, dampers and brakes there is now a single unified digital brain making decisions for a smoother, quicker, more reliable response. On this evidence, it works well.
      https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re.../s3-sportback/

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      03-23-2020 12:35 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterTroy View Post
      If they aren't bringing the RSQ3 here, we aren't getting the RS3 hatch.
      It's dumb they aren't bringing the RSQ3 here. The RSQ3 sportback and RSQ8 are the only successful designs of "coupe" CUVs

And it pisses me off they don't at least test the market with an RS3 hatch. Enthusiasts are much more hatch friendly. Its the mainstream people buying the base A3's that don't like hatchbacks.

Seems like they could sell more than a few S3/RS3 hatches to make it worthwhile here... I imagine they'd at least match Golf R numbers of 300-500 per month. And those are high margin compact cars...

I know I'd put my money where my mouth is and buy an RS3 hatch. Perfect upgrade for me.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      03-23-2020 12:48 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      So journalists have been driving the new S3 prototypes. There are some interesting tidbits regarding the AWD system which will of course carryover to the new RS3 and Golf R.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re.../s3-sportback/

Will be curious to see how it works. The only way I can see it working is having another clutch at the front diff to disconnect the front drive. Or, they somehow added a center type diff.

Also if it's 100% rear drive that is cool but they have used tricky wording before, even saying gen V Haldex will send 100% of available torque to the rear, which everyone thought meant 100% of power, but that's not true.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      03-23-2020 03:53 PM #68
      Will be curious to see how it works. The only way I can see it working is having another clutch at the front diff to disconnect the front drive. Or, they somehow added a center type diff.

Also if it's 100% rear drive that is cool but they have used tricky wording before, even saying gen V Haldex will send 100% of available torque to the rear, which everyone thought meant 100% of power, but that's not true.
      I love this cleverly deceptive marketing tactic, and it works. So many times I see it referenced as proof that certain Haldex-equipped cars can send 100% rearward power.

20. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-23-2020 04:11 PM #69
      Much prefer this to the new Mk8 GTI, but it's moot as it won't make it here in hatch form because Audi.

So...current-gen RS3, perhaps.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 M3
      03-23-2020 05:19 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      And it pisses me off they don't at least test the market with an RS3 hatch. Enthusiasts are much more hatch friendly. Its the mainstream people buying the base A3's that don't like hatchbacks.

Seems like they could sell more than a few S3/RS3 hatches to make it worthwhile here... I imagine they'd at least match Golf R numbers of 300-500 per month. And those are high margin compact cars...
      Remember who VWoA's real customers are: dealers. And I'd bet Audi dealers aren't terribly interested in floorplanning low-volume, niche products for nitpicky enthusiasts. How many lease-spec Q5s get sold in a typical month?

Vehicles
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      03-24-2020 07:07 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      The cost to federalize a different drive train is massive. Dealers don't want to floor plan something that sells in minute numbers (check out dealers freaking out about BMW 8-series models sitting around, not selling).

Only reason we're getting the RS6 here is because the profit margin is large enough that it makes sense.

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      GLE350 4Matic
      03-24-2020 07:08 AM #72
      They totally forgot that they needed driver side air vents, didn’t they?

Vehicles
      '16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line
      03-24-2020 07:31 AM #73
      Moving the display down in the dash compared to the previous generation is quite surprising. But of course, it becoming a touch screen meant it needed to be closer to the driver than before and maybe then it's a design challenge to have it that high up...

Vehicles
      19 GLI S, 17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      03-24-2020 08:41 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post

Wow.

Pretty sure my phone told me 'New Audi A3 debut....' but I gave 0 fecks because 'ipad stuck to the dash syndrome' is all I think of when hearing Audi A3.
      I would aggressively move to acquire a manual hatch with this interior.
      Audi will save me the trouble...forbidden fruit for North America etc... But this is a great move.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      03-24-2020 04:11 PM #75

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast