The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford confirms small unibody pickup coming to US

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-09-2020 01:45 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      yep, and no one will buy them because why would they. The Japanese and Korean build theirs better.
      So Ford building cars nobody would buy is more sustainable than pulling out of the markets altogether? This is Jalopnik logic

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      325ci, 325xi
      03-09-2020 02:18 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      What would be entertaining is if it sparks a new mini truck craze ala the 80's.
      So something like this?

It is based on the focus after all

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      03-09-2020 02:30 PM #28

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5
      03-09-2020 02:47 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      People are calling the Ford Escape a "truck" now?
      In the snip of the article the OP posted, the word "truck" is never used, only "pickup".

03-09-2020 06:55 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      It will be 4 doors and about the same length as the LWB Transit Connect.

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      03-09-2020 07:21 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post

Back door a la Gladiator

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      03-09-2020 07:37 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Hopefully they won't still all be the almost decade old ones they stopped selling now because "just not selling very well".
      Yeah, and that starts the chicken-and-egg argument that if they made something that was current or modern they'd be selling.

The comment was made that if the market changes, Ford could bring some car models back to the US, but how long would it take to get that rolling? Production line expansions? Transport logistics? US certifications or compliance? I dunno.
      "I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine."

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-09-2020 09:04 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Yeah, and that starts the chicken-and-egg argument that if they made something that was current or modern they'd be selling.

The comment was made that if the market changes, Ford could bring some car models back to the US, but how long would it take to get that rolling? Production line expansions? Transport logistics? US certifications or compliance? I dunno.
      Ford knows how to get cars to market. If the demand is worth pursuing, being late by a year or w/e won't be that big of a deal.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      03-10-2020 07:28 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post

During the Carpocalypse, Ford got the Fiesta to market in North America, relatively quickly, as demand for small cheap cars exploded.

Vehicles
      03-10-2020 12:33 PM #35
      Thanks, guys, that's why I was asking. I'm not an auto market logistics guy, so I don't know how long it would take them to get something back on the road here. Given the current Russian/Saudi spat, it probably doesn't matter, at least for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      During the Carpocalypse, Ford got the Fiesta to market in North America, relatively quickly, as demand for small cheap cars exploded.
      And it was fine, except for that whole transmission thing...

12. Member
      Vehicles
      19 GLI Autobahn
      03-10-2020 01:01 PM #36
      I think it's a great move. No one wanted a Fiesta/Focus - they bought them because they were cheap. Yes they were very good drivers due to their European heritage, but the vast majority of buyers here simply got them because they were cheap/small Fords. The ST models are gone, and that is sad to me (used to have a FiST) but outside of the ST models, the vehicles weren't class leading.

So bring in a small quad-cab El Camino/Baja type vehicle as your base model - that is something different than the Civic/Corolla/etc...and it might also do very good fleet sales for companies just needing a bed w/o massive tow ratings.

Also, i don't know for sure about this - would BEVs allow a maker to raise their CAFE numbers so that Ford would essentially have an all truck/crossover/SUV lineup, with their BEV vehicles bringing CAFE numbers up to at least compliance levels. So in that case, Ford can afford to have their entry model not be a tiny fuel-sipping car, but a Baja-type vehicle that will have a ton of practicality.

Very excited to see how this comes to us, a truly different offering that should address three different desires:
      1. Small truck people
      2. Small entry level buyers
      3. Business/fleets that need a small pickup for it's bed, not it's towing or 4x4 prowess

Vehicles
      2003 TTq, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2019 Renegade 1.3T, 2000 Monster 750
      03-10-2020 04:10 PM #37
      It'll essentially be a CUV Sport Trac

Vehicles
      03-10-2020 09:37 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      Yes they were very good drivers due to their European heritage, but the vast majority of buyers here simply got them because they were cheap/small Fords.
      I got mine because I wanted something small, economical, and had the driving feel of my MkII and MkIII GTIs. I wanted Manuel, so I sidestepped the PowerSh!t fiasco.

15. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      07-22-2020 12:13 AM #39
      It’ll definitely be the Maverick

https://www.motor1.com/news/434879/f...ked-photo/amp/

07-22-2020 12:24 AM #40
      And the stamping in the middle for the Big Blue Oval logo means this won't be a Bronco Maverick... It will just be Maverick.

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      07-22-2020 09:27 AM #41
      BZ, are they still taking the lifestyle slant with this thing or have they strayed back toward the vein of the Transit Connect it's based on?
      I am not associated with Weber-Stephens wonderful American-made grilling products, nor with Guy Fieri or Martin's Famous Potato Rolls.

07-22-2020 01:12 PM #42
      I don't know because I don't work for Ford... but can't imagine they want to sell a straight up Transit Connect pickup. There is very little appeal with that approach.

Pretty obvious that Ford is targeting Fiat Toro so more or less something like that but with more US market influence in the design and utility in mind.

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      07-22-2020 01:34 PM #43
      I don't know because I don't work for Ford... but can't imagine they want to sell a straight up Transit Connect pickup. There is very little appeal with that approach.

Pretty obvious that Ford is targeting Fiat Toro so more or less something like that but with more US market influence in the design and utility in mind.
      I know you don't (I've been a BoF lurker for years ), but I do know that you're very insightful regarding these matters

It will be interesting to see how this segment works out. I am right in the target market for something like this or the Hyundai unibody, but color me skeptical of the real world utility these utes will actually have. Hoping to be surprised.
      I am not associated with Weber-Stephens wonderful American-made grilling products, nor with Guy Fieri or Martin's Famous Potato Rolls.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      07-22-2020 01:44 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      I know you don't (I've been a BoF lurker for years ), but I do know that you're very insightful regarding these matters

It will be interesting to see how this segment works out. I am right in the target market for something like this or the Hyundai unibody, but color me skeptical of the real world utility these utes will actually have. Hoping to be surprised.
      I don't think there will be a lot "utility" required for the Maverick.
      It should be able to tow a pair of jetskis, and haul 6-8 bags of mulch in the bed (not necessarily at the same time).
      If you need to tow a heavier load or haul heavier cargo, the basic Ranger, Escape, or Bronco Sport will better meet your needs.

This will definitely be a lifestyle vehicle for most people, but possibly a handy compact tool for landscapers/pool cleaners/etc...
      This will be the Chevy HHR Panel Van for small businesses, but with an open bed.

Last edited by whitejeep1989; 07-22-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      07-22-2020 01:52 PM #45
      It would be interesting if someone does a car-based one with a transverse engine that has AWD but with a low-range like the Cherokee's Active Drive II system.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2000 VW Cabrio, 1988 Turbo VW Fox PickUp
      07-22-2020 02:09 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Slots in well under the ranger starting at less than $20k. It will find plenty of buyers I’m sure.

An evolution of the Ford Courier perhaps?

Worth noting the GM and FCA could quickly bring their own version since they all have something in this class outside the US.

Fiat Strada

Chevy Montana

Those are all awesome (Especially the Montana) and exactly what I want as my next new car
      Pre-PasswordGate, I was DasBaldGuy
      I for one, welcome our new TrumpOverlord
      #ImWithHim

23. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      07-22-2020 02:32 PM #47
      And the stamping in the middle for the Big Blue Oval logo means this won't be a Bronco Maverick... It will just be Maverick.
      Good call. I think it'll be aptly named. I hope it has looks somewhere between "spunky" and "rough and tumble".

I don't think it will have to compete with the Hyundai, as that will be their only truck. This will make 3 for Ford, not counting the heavy duty rigs. I would imagine the Hyundai will be aiming for the Ranger (or just a bit less) in utility, leaving a lot of room for this underneath, especially if it's cheap. Isn't cheap the goal, here?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

24. 07-22-2020 04:22 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      People are calling the Ford Escape a "truck" now?
      Here int he east nearly any damn suv would be called a truck especially by women, I think it makes them feel more rugged

25. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      07-22-2020 11:46 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Isn't cheap the goal, here?
      Definitely. I’m guessing it will start right around $20k, making it a unique entry level offering. Will almost certainly get the 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo and maybe the old 2.0L 4-cylinder Focus engine.

26. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2018 F150
      07-23-2020 12:05 AM #50
      It does seem to overlap the Ranger market though.

Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast