Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 16v PL - 020 (FN) not working out

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '79 Scirocco, '10 Insight - hatch LIIIIFE
      03-08-2020 11:21 PM #1
      Test fitting an FN transmission to my PL setup on the garage floor. Out of car.

The clutch push rod doesn't reach the release plate.

Pressure plate is new (zero miles), but came with the engine, so no real idea what this part is. I see conflicting reports on whether there is a difference in 16v and 8v pressure plates. Release plate and spring are also brand new.

Clutch disc is a brand new 8v Sachs part I purchased.

Flywheel is a lightened piece I picked up somewhere. I also have the flywheel that came with the engine, but figured why not use the lightened one.

FN transmission appears to work fine. Clutch arm pulls up, push rod extends 24mm past the end of the input shaft.

Problem is, when the trans is bolted to the engine I can still pull the clutch arm all the way up by hand, but I never hear or feel the push rod touch the release plate.

Went to brokevw.com and looked at the guides there. They're saying from the end of the flange on the clutch plate in through the hole to the release plate should measure 36mm deep. I measure 44mm, so no surprise why the push rod doesn't reach.

This is the measurement I mean:

Question is - why doesn't it reach?

pics:

Pressure plate, release plate:

Flywheel, clutch - fully installed:

020 FN

020 FN, push rod is 24mm extended:

Remind me to double check my diagnoses

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-09-2020 11:48 AM #2
      you will need to check the pivot finger in the end of the box. behind the green cap. they are prone to cracking.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '79 Scirocco, '10 Insight - hatch LIIIIFE
      03-09-2020 12:39 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by garryt View Post
      you will need to check the pivot finger in the end of the box. behind the green cap. they are prone to cracking.
      Totally. But if the push rod sticks out 24mm when I lift the lever, doesn't that rule the pivot finger out? Trying to avoid opening up the gearbox if I don't have to.
      Remind me to double check my diagnoses

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 03-13-2020 08:08 AM #4
      I trust the BrokeVW site so if you have 44mm and it should be 36mm, you need to fix that first.

You really do not need to take the transmission apart. Just removing the round cover is not that difficult. Faster than opening a thread.

7. 03-15-2020 11:29 AM #5
      maybe your flywheel was machined to increase clutch grip??? why not have a small extension fitted to the end of the push rod.