VWVortex.com - Leaky Vapor Barrier (Need Advice/Suggestions)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Leaky Vapor Barrier (Need Advice/Suggestions)

Vehicles
      1987 Golf GT
      03-14-2020 07:57 PM #1
      Hey all. I need help!!!!!!!!!!

My vapor barriers are leaking again!!! Iíve replaced them 3 or 4 times now (itís been too many times ) and they just keep letting go! And thatís why Iím here.

Iím getting tired of doing them, them working for a few weeks, then finding a puddle in the floor, or even worse, they hold long enough for me to think I can put the interior back together and then my carpet is soaking wet and it all has to come out again.

Iíve tried multiple different adhesives.

Iím looking for suggestions for adhesives, plastic sheeting, other barrier ideas (heat shrink, etc.) that have worked long term for you guys.

Thank ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-14-2020 08:00 PM #2
      You are talking about the plastic sheets between the door and door panel? I donít think your flooded floor is coming from that. Have you checked the windshield seal? Hvac fresh air screen?

If you feel it is coming from there are the drain holes inside the door clear so any water that gets into the door can drain?

Vehicles
      1987 Golf GT
      03-14-2020 08:03 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by calituner View Post
      You are talking about the plastic sheets between the door and door panel? I donít think your flooded floor is coming from that. Have you checked the windshield seal? Hvac fresh air screen?

Thank you for the reply. Yes. That is what Iím talking about. I do think they at least have something to do with the flooding. After I have water, I always find a spot where the adhesive has let go from the barrier at the bottom of the door. I actually just checked the drain holes and they are all clear on both doors. I have not checked the windshield seal. And are you talking about the screen under the rain tray under the hood?

Last edited by No_Tylerance; 03-14-2020 at 08:12 PM.

5. 03-14-2020 08:17 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by No_Tylerance View Post
      Thank you for the reply. Yes. That is what Iím talking about. I do think they at least have something to do with the flooding. After I have water, I always find a spot where the adhesive has let go from the barrier at the bottom of the door. I actually just checked the drain holes and they are all clear on both doors. I have not checked the windshield seal. And are you talking about the screen under the rain tray under the hood?

Yes, I am talking about the screen under the rain tray. Also there are drains at each side if water gets into the rain tray. Check that it is free of debris that could cause water to back up and come into the cabin of the vehicle.

Using butyl windshield tape would be good to use seal the plastic to the door.

Vehicles
      1987 Golf GT
      03-14-2020 08:20 PM #5
      Yes, I am talking about the screen under the rain tray. Also there are drains at each side if water gets into the rain tray. Check that it is free of debris that could cause water to back up and come into the cabin of the vehicle.

Thanks again. I did check the screen in the summer when I was last dealing with this issue before parking for winter. Iíll check the drains at the sides of the rain tray tomorrow. And Iíll look for that windshield tape. Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

Vehicles
      1990 8V GTI
      03-14-2020 11:52 PM #6
      I've had really good results with double sided duct tape and 3-4mil plastic sheeting from home depot. The key is to take your time laying down the plastic and don't let any of it bunch up along the sealing edge. As stated, rain tray drains, seal under the fresh air intake. You can also check the tail light seals, if they are dried out you can use 1/2x1/2" adhesive backed weatherstrip from Ace or any hardware store to create a new seal.

Vehicles
      1987 Golf GT
      03-15-2020 06:10 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by prasina2 View Post
      I've had really good results with double sided duct tape and 3-4mil plastic sheeting from home depot. The key is to take your time laying down the plastic and don't let any of it bunch up along the sealing edge. As stated, rain tray drains, seal under the fresh air intake. You can also check the tail light seals, if they are dried out you can use 1/2x1/2" adhesive backed weatherstrip from Ace or any hardware store to create a new seal.
      Thanks for the suggestions. I did have a small amount of water coming from the tail lights a while ago. I pulled them, checked that the seals and that they were seated properly, and havenít had any water there since.

9. 03-15-2020 10:23 AM #8
      BMW has that problem and that is what they use. Most of the problems is that people think you can use it more than once and that is why they leak again. Cleaning the surface so it sticks good can be troublesome.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '84 Rabbit VNT-15, '91 golf TD, '87 Jetta GLi, '84GTi 1.7TD, '84 Rabbit diesel
      03-24-2020 12:20 AM #9
      I've tried a white,..
      I don't know plummer's caulk?
      On a roll with wax paper between layers.
      Never hardens.
      Not sure where I got it.
      Works good.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 8v GTI (current project) '08 Subaru Outback XT
      03-24-2020 10:10 AM #10
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfklnXRG4PU

Might be worth a go through, it's all the common leak spots, vapour barriers shouldn't be a cause for major water incursion, there's lots of other places for that on old rusty vw's

Vehicles
      1987 Golf GT
      03-27-2020 02:41 PM #11
      Thanks everybody! I checked all my drain holes, cleaned out the inside of the doors really really well just to make sure, checked everywhere under the rain tray. And I made sure to test the car by letting a hose run over it and sitting inside to see where the water comes in. I know for sure it was coming in past the barriers, I watched it. As for elsewhere, I donít think so. Once the vapor barriers are squared up, Iíll test again to see if I see any coming in else where.

I just finished the barriers yesterday and it rained last night, no water.

Itís supposed to rain hard tonight so Iíll check for water again in the morning. This butyl windshield tape seems like good stuff so hopefully itís my final solution.

Vehicles
      1990 Golf GL; 1990 Jetta GLI 16VG60
      03-27-2020 06:58 PM #12
      3M also makes purpose-built sealant:
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063X38M...v_ov_lig_dp_it
      Best 4x100 Thread! Show What You Got!
      Build Thread: Victoria, My 1990 Jetta GLI
      Build Thread: Milan, my 1990 Golf GL

22 years old and a 16VG60 engine that still gives me lip... When will it end?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '84 Rabbit VNT-15, '91 golf TD, '87 Jetta GLi, '84GTi 1.7TD, '84 Rabbit diesel
      03-27-2020 10:02 PM #13
      I wouldn't use that weather strip adhesive.
      It dries hard and turns brittle.

Vehicles
      1987 Golf GT
      03-29-2020 09:01 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by fatmobile View Post
      I wouldn't use that weather strip adhesive.
      It dries hard and turns brittle.
      I can agree with that. That stuff was the attempt before last. Haha. It hardened, got brittle, and the plastics sheeting no longer stuck to it after that allowing water in.

So far so good with the Butyl Windshield tape! It has poured down rain almost all day each day since I installed it and I donít have a trace of water anywhere.