Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. Miyagi's 1995 URS6 build - Project Wax On

03-17-2020 07:49 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      I absolutely LOVE the idea of these cars, and I drove a handful with the intention of eventually buying one, but the reality convinced me otherwise. This applies to the Coupe Quattro/URS4/URS6 cars pretty equally.

You'll definitely want to increase your network of parts connections and sources. There are so many obscure parts on these cars and they are only getting rarer as time goes on. If you have the space, and the opportunity arises, pick up a parts car.

The 20vT is flat out glorious, and not too mechanically terrible to work on IMO, and the rest of the drivetrain is pretty stout.

Electronics are probably the killer here. There was so much early 90s tech crammed into these cars which hasn't aged well. If you're not wiring and electrical troubleshooting savvy, start learning. Invest in a good multimeter with dwell/duty cycle for testing sensors.

It's good that you're approaching this as a project car, but when it's driving at 100% it will be such a fun car.
      Absolutely! I do plan on learning a ton with this car. There is a lot to do, including an eventual engine swap/trans swap. Luckily, this particular purchase is going to come with about half a car or more worth of spare parts.

The electrics definitely worry me, and there are some bugs with this particular car, such as a misfire. I'll dig into it when the thing arrives, but it's running into some delays in shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      My only input is that my friend has one and it's awesome
      That's pretty rad. Do you know anything about that front bumper he's got on it? Not really my style, but looks pretty cool. Less is definitely more with these cars -- not much to do to make them look great imo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Congrats on the purchase! Since I've seen it in person, I'm looking forward to watching the progress.

Some inspiration for you. This one was on the rally I just did and it was really nice.

Can't wait to post detailed pics and an update when it arrives. Thanks so much for checking it out for me! I owe you big time!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      94 Supra TT, 2015 Grand Cherokee
      03-17-2020 07:50 PM #27
      As a former V8 Quattro and Coupe Quattro owner I bid you

Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      Be considerate. Most posters here are old and bitter men who lived in their parents' basement during their 20s and are now married to women who drag them by the balls.

You can't expect them to turn this place into The Yolo Lounge.

4. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      03-17-2020 07:53 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      Can't wait to post detailed pics and an update when it arrives. Thanks so much for checking it out for me! I owe you big time!
      Happy to help another car guy out. It’s a project for sure, but you seem like you got a good grasp of what it’s asking of you. Looking forward to more!
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      MK4 R32, 987.1 Cayman S, Outback wagon
      03-17-2020 08:14 PM #29
      That's pretty rad. Do you know anything about that front bumper he's got on it? Not really my style, but looks pretty cool. Less is definitely more with these cars -- not much to do to make them look great imo!
      Old school LLTEK bumper!

You can find some more pics and info on his IG. It's got a nice GTX3071R on it too

https://www.instagram.com/dubaudi1/
      The Car Lounge summed up

Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      lots of people who post on this forum are not car OR driving enthusiasts. they just come here and post tirades/smarmy comebacks

Flickr™
      DubCult.

03-17-2020 08:18 PM #30
      Been there done that, had my 95 UrS6 between 2008 and 2012, sold it at over 300K kms.

A few notes:
      The car was dead reliable, I was only let down by an aging battery. My car had an MRC tune, Big Red 993 front calipers with Euro D2 A8 rotors, 1.8T coilpack conversion and H&R springs/Bilstein shocks. 2008 is when I got into outside sales and the S6 was my only vehicle. Took me everywhere in comfort, safety and did it fairly quickly. At one point I deleted the resonator because I did not want to replace the exhaust, which made the I5 song a bit more pronounced. I did teach my wife to drive standard in this car.

The not so good was the fuel mileage. Definitely not a TDI, especially under boost. Also the North American 95 and older 5 speed cars came with a weak 1st gear, on my car it was really loud (semi truck loud) but although I bought a spare 96 wide 1st gear transmission, I never had to replace it and sold the car with the loud one. The headlights were not the greatest, but because they come with factory projectors I did a HID retrofit for the low beams (4300K) and that fixed things nicely.

It is a car that I really enjoyed, I would like to build a high HP 20v turbo I5 Audi once day.

BTW, back in those days it was Quattroworld and Audiworld forums that were my go to sources for everything UrS.

OP, I am sure you will enjoy the car and check the Easter eggs in the climate ctrl unit Post some pics once you get the car.

04-09-2020 08:14 PM #31
      Big post incoming!

So the car arrived last Thursday. I've been so busy with work and life that I didn't find time to get this stuff done until now.

First things first, pics!

"The Packening"

Pretty clean when it left.

Fully loaded up... there was actually room for a bit more but it was pretty close to laying frame. Seller was kind enough to put a very nice blanket on the rear hatch.

On the back of the trailer. It's so purty! If it weren't for all the chrome on newer cars, I'd say it aged nicely! Thanks to the seller for getting this pic for me.

Arrival!

Check the squat

Absolutely filthy. Needs a wash.

The eagle eyed will have noticed something. More on that later.

wet

wet

dry

dry

Body/Interior issues

Well, it's not perfect. Far from it. That's why it was the price that it was.

Remember what I said about the eagle-eyed among us?

https://i.imgur.com/dOPijsm.jpg

uhhhh, yeah. Okay then.

https://i.imgur.com/wZG02Ap.jpg

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Some extras in the background

Right side is okay...

Harumph.

Interior is pretty nice in places.

Tiny stain on the alcantara, but that can be fixed

Under the passenger side dash. Yeesh. This will be fun. At least the covers are all included.

A bumpin system probably existed in it once. Maybe i'll give GAS a call.

If anyone knows anything about stock cars and wiring, you'll notice everything wrong with this.

This was unplugged. The green one is accounted for, but can you guess what the red wire is? (The green plug is for aftermarket seat heaters...)

Apparently the colored tubes here are vacuum tubes for the door locks. I'm dubious of whether or not they work.

This was soaking wet. Nothing around it was wet, just this. No idea why. It seems to go to the seat backs maybe?

INTERNALS
      So, turns out the engine is not stock like I thought. I bought the car sight-unseen, but the listing didn't really say exactly what it had done to it. I knew it was modified, but I didn't know it was essentially a fully built motor, with all the bells and whistles.

She's gonna be some work.

That's not a stock intake manifold.

I don't think this was supposed to be unplugged (the left one). I plugged it back in. It's just a ground wire, but still.

Very expensive silicon intake manifold piece

This is probably the worst spot on the entire car as far as rusting goes. Also, anyone else think that O2 sensor is a lil bit close to the turbo exhaust housing?

Coil delete! You can see the gray wire there on the right that was unplugged down lower. I'll find out what that is eventually I'm sure.

Garrett GT3071R.

Aftermarket fuel rail?

Coilpack delete seen here, again. I'll have to get the coil cover on there somehow, because that's urgly.

Definitely not a fan of this diverter valve and diverter valve housing. Pretty rusty, but IIRC the manifold is an RS2 manifold so I'll be saving that.

Closer view of the intake manifold silicon

More turbo. It's only now that I am realizing that hose clamp is loose.

Behold, the underside. This is the bottom view of that crazy S downpipe. It's made by a guy named Tim Valencia who is apparently a racecar driver.

Current Pros:

• i5 turbo
      • Audi s6 avant
      • no rust on the body
      • two motors, 2 transmissions
      • heavily modified engine, rumored to be making 450 hp at full strength
      • a decent amount of extra parts/trim

Current Cons:

• Driver door doesn't open from the inside
      • Door locks not functioning
      • Tons of random wiring/splices everywhere for no reason
      • heavily modified engine in a 25 year old car
      • parts are getting more scarce
      • hood latch is finicky (doesn't open)
      • Brakes don't work
      • O2 sensor needs replacing
      • has a misfire
      • much is unknown about this car
      • holes in the fenders

Vehicles
      '06 Toyota Land Cruiser
      04-09-2020 09:43 PM #32
      Good luck with the Avant!

I really enjoyed owning and driving mine, but sold it Jan 2012 when I found a D2 S8 that I had to have. Mine was stock with the exception of an MRC stage 2 tune, stiffer wastegate spring, and a set of European market OEM springs that I imported. To this day, it's the only car I've sold for more than I paid. That trend definitely didn't continue when I got rid of the S8.

Most of the technical knowledge was over on the Quattroworld UrS forums when I owned mine, that's where I'd head if you need guru level tech help. Good luck and keep up posted on the progress.

Pictures of mine.

9. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      04-10-2020 01:41 AM #33

Excited to follow along.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      04-10-2020 08:18 AM #34
      Watching with much interest.

And holy cow aging_fleet's car was clean.

Vehicles
      mk4 GTI, F350, RD1 CRV
      04-10-2020 08:43 AM #35
      Looks like you have some work ahead of you.

Looking forward to seeing the progress!
      @saugster_pnw

Vehicles
      2013 Conestoga Wagon & 2023 VigorousZX Campermobile
      04-10-2020 09:34 AM #36
      Good luck, those are really cool oddball cars. Do you have the 5 speed or late 01E 6speed?
      It couldn't hurt to track down a donor car for a full stock harness. Try to track down Shokan for used parts, they were one of the best Audi dismantlers and had a good number of UR cars and parts in inventory.

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      04-10-2020 09:59 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by aging_fleet View Post
      To this day, it's the only car I've sold for more than I paid. That trend definitely didn't continue when I got rid of the S8.
      It's possible to make some money selling a car??

I have bought a $2k car, dumped $10k into it and sold it for $4k on more than one occasion.

Vehicles
      04-10-2020 10:05 AM #38
      Also, send this guy a message if you need parts. He's got a couple hundred cars in a junkyard and probably half of them are old Audis.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/p...098091211.html

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      04-10-2020 10:11 AM #39
      good on you
      Dave

Vehicles
      '06 Toyota Land Cruiser
      04-10-2020 10:21 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      And holy cow aging_fleet's car was clean.
      Thanks, it spent a lot of it's life at vacation homes in New Mexico and Colorado and was ultimately traded in by the original owner at Plaza Motors in STL with only 70k miles. I put a deposit on it based on an Autotrader listing with no photos, booked a flight to Missouri and hoped for the best. There was a lot of deferred maintenance to be done, but overall it was a great starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      I have bought a $2k car, dumped $10k into it and sold it for $4k on more than one occasion.
      I'm sure with the mods and maintenance, I didn't come out on top.

@Mr Miyagi, keep those photos coming.

17. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      04-10-2020 10:26 AM #41
      wow someone did some work to that thing!

looks like youre gonna be busy unfcking that wiring though. so much sketch ****... yikes.
      but at least its a good solid start.

whats the story on the weird fender cuts?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      Current - '19 GLI AB 6MT; Dead - '10 S4 6MT; Gone - '01 S4 6MT
      04-10-2020 10:33 AM #42
      subscribing to this. Good Luck

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R, '96 993
      04-10-2020 10:36 AM #43
      If you ever put the rear seat bottom in, please cover the positive post. You don't want the rear seat springs touching that terminal, arcing and causing a fire.

Seats have been redone at some point. Looks like a color swap (door panels, seats, carpet) for the interior too. Can't tell if the seat belts are gray or tan, that was the original color of the interior, including carpet.
      2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

Vehicles
      04-10-2020 10:48 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
      If you ever put the rear seat bottom in, please cover the positive post. You don't want the rear seat springs touching that terminal, arcing and causing a fire.
      Spoken like somebody that has owned an aircooled beetle at some point.

Vehicles
      2004 VW Golf R32 DeepBluePerleffekt (B5R)
      04-10-2020 11:09 AM #45
      Very nice purchase,I love old Audis,too. There is a guy on YouTube with a channel called "Broken Quattros" -- (iirc,he's a member on here) --might want to check it out for info on parts interchangeability between different models/years since stuff is becoming so scarce with these cars. Good luck and have fun with it
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Fifteen52 Chicanes w/ Conti DWS tires.Powerflex+Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads w/StopTech drilled discs.Gloss Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

04-10-2020 12:17 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by aging_fleet View Post
      Good luck with the Avant!

I really enjoyed owning and driving mine, but sold it Jan 2012 when I found a D2 S8 that I had to have. Mine was stock with the exception of an MRC stage 2 tune, stiffer wastegate spring, and a set of European market OEM springs that I imported. To this day, it's the only car I've sold for more than I paid. That trend definitely didn't continue when I got rid of the S8.

Most of the technical knowledge was over on the Quattroworld UrS forums when I owned mine, that's where I'd head if you need guru level tech help. Good luck and keep up posted on the progress.

Pictures of mine.
      Uhhhhhhhhh, that's the cleanest one I think I've ever seen. What??? Beautiful. Would love to hear more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoron View Post
      Good luck, those are really cool oddball cars. Do you have the 5 speed or late 01E 6speed?
      It couldn't hurt to track down a donor car for a full stock harness. Try to track down Shokan for used parts, they were one of the best Audi dismantlers and had a good number of UR cars and parts in inventory.
      I was in the process of buying a copart parts car this Monday, but it ended up going for $3,000 and I just lost a lot of money in the stock market so decided against it . I've definitely considered it, though. I've already spent a bunch of parts and i've only bought a few tiny things.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      Also, send this guy a message if you need parts. He's got a couple hundred cars in a junkyard and probably half of them are old Audis.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/p...098091211.html
      Thank you, muchly! I need a few parts for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      wow someone did some work to that thing!

looks like youre gonna be busy unfcking that wiring though. so much sketch ****... yikes.
      but at least its a good solid start.

whats the story on the weird fender cuts?
      So, someone definitely did some work on it. I'm not sure how many owners have had it or the full history. Still working on that from PO. He's been extremely accommodating and a great help so far! The PO is a long-time racer in California. Does Lemons and some other series down there. Has worked heavily with 2Bennett and according to him, this car was used by 034 Motorsport for their tune development. Whether true or not, I'm not sure. I might reach out to 034 to confirm. Someone spent a LOT of money on this thing. I'll list everything done to it when I find out everything that's been done to it... Basically everything has been touched.

As for the wiring -- yeah, that scares me. It's definitely the biggest scare for me. As SoldOverSticker told me from when he checked it out for me, it's got great project car potential provided someone has the time and desire to fix it. The big issues for me are the electrics -- mechanically it is pretty sound. The issue here is that it is a 1995 Audi with electric problems from a time where they were 10 years ahead of the game in their technology, so everything is complicated. Add on to that the aftermarket bull**** in there, it's going to be interesting. I think I might just start simple and remove the speaker wiring.

Seats have been redone at some point. Looks like a color swap (door panels, seats, carpet) for the interior too. Can't tell if the seat belts are gray or tan, that was the original color of the interior, including carpet.
      I actually took the back seat out to get to the battery and fuel tank as I am going to be replacing the sending unit here soon. It has two different rear seats -- the stock one (all leather) and the re-upholstered one to match the interior. One of them has seat heaters in it that connects up to the green cables there. I'll definitely look into getting a cover, thanks for the tip! Do you have any recommendations on that front?

Quote Originally Posted by gruppe-b View Post
      Very nice purchase,I love old Audis,too. There is a guy on YouTube with a channel called "Broken Quattros" -- (iirc,he's a member on here) --might want to check it out for info on parts interchangeability between different models/years since stuff is becoming so scarce with these cars. Good luck and have fun with it
      I've watched a lot of Broken Quattro's content! Cool guy. I've also been watching Brian Scotto's content, as well as Total Technik and a guy named "quattro4life" who makes pretty great content too. Bizarre accent, too!

23. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      04-10-2020 12:26 PM #47
      So, someone definitely did some work on it. I'm not sure how many owners have had it or the full history. Still working on that from PO. He's been extremely accommodating and a great help so far! The PO is a long-time racer in California. Does Lemons and some other series down there. Has worked heavily with 2Bennett and according to him, this car was used by 034 Motorsport for their tune development. Whether true or not, I'm not sure. I might reach out to 034 to confirm. Someone spent a LOT of money on this thing. I'll list everything done to it when I find out everything that's been done to it... Basically everything has been touched.

As for the wiring -- yeah, that scares me. It's definitely the biggest scare for me. As SoldOverSticker told me from when he checked it out for me, it's got great project car potential provided someone has the time and desire to fix it. The big issues for me are the electrics -- mechanically it is pretty sound. The issue here is that it is a 1995 Audi with electric problems from a time where they were 10 years ahead of the game in their technology, so everything is complicated. Add on to that the aftermarket bull**** in there, it's going to be interesting. I think I might just start simple and remove the speaker wiring.
      if you can find/post wiring diagrams i can help armchair quarterback what to poke at

wirings really easy if you know what each wire i supposed to be doing

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R, '96 993
      04-10-2020 01:06 PM #48
      For a terminal cover just get anything, rubber or plastic to cover the terminal. It looks like your battery should have had a cover similiar to this:

You can see the holes on your battery where those pins should go into.

I would also ask around on Quattroworld, someone might know the car.

If you get the itch to mod the exhaust: Stromung sounds good to me.

http://www.stromungexhaust.com/92-95...r-quattro.html
      2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

04-10-2020 01:28 PM #49
      For a terminal cover just get anything, rubber or plastic to cover the terminal. It looks like your battery should have had a cover similiar to this:

You can see the holes on your battery where those pins should go into.

I would also ask around on Quattroworld, someone might know the car.

If you get the itch to mod the exhaust: Stromung sounds good to me.

http://www.stromungexhaust.com/92-95...r-quattro.html
      It has that exhaust on it (allegedly). Magnaflow muffler, though.

26. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6
      04-10-2020 02:05 PM #50
      You wanted a project...

You definitely got a project.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast