VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. Miyagi's 1995 URS6 build - Project Wax On

04-10-2020 02:09 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      You wanted a project...

You definitely got a project.
      Hell ya! I totally blacked out, to be honest. I have no idea how I ended up with this. I was looking for B5 biturbos and decided they're all beat to hell or rusty so I went for this one when I saw it.

Aside: I checked out that Atlanta guy's prices... they're okay, but still a bit steep.

edit: Congrats on making it through the 2nd page, no more mega scrolling!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      04-10-2020 02:25 PM #52
      You wanted a project...

You definitely got a project.
      I told Miyagi on the phone that itís outside of the scope of what I can personally do, but while itís a big project itís not an impossible one. Main car is solid, so itís un**** the fenders, clean up the wiring, track down a misfire, and reinstall a lot of the interior thatís been taken apart. Wiring is where Iíd waive off personally, but the rest of it really isnít that bad. Itís not a Sunday project but itís also not a full restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      wow someone did some work to that thing!

looks like youre gonna be busy unfcking that wiring though. so much sketch ****... yikes.
      but at least its a good solid start.

whats the story on the weird fender cuts?
      Three owners back was a male model, and liked to tinker. He had a lot of money, and modding a new and expensive car fitted his flamboyant nature. Last owner knew the guy and said every time the car came around the shop it had something else done to it to make it more unique. Fenders and the side scoop through the fender weíre super odd.

Glad to see some progress on the car! The second tranny is the one with the hardened first gear. Put that one in when itís running right and Iíll fly up to do some redline all wheel drive launches.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. Iíll be there, front row.

04-10-2020 03:07 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I told Miyagi on the phone that itís outside of the scope of what I can personally do, but while itís a big project itís not an impossible one. Main car is solid, so itís un**** the fenders, clean up the wiring, track down a misfire, and reinstall a lot of the interior thatís been taken apart. Wiring is where Iíd waive off personally, but the rest of it really isnít that bad. Itís not a Sunday project but itís also not a full restoration.

Three owners back was a male model, and liked to tinker. He had a lot of money, and modding a new and expensive car fitted his flamboyant nature. Last owner knew the guy and said every time the car came around the shop it had something else done to it to make it more unique. Fenders and the side scoop through the fender weíre super odd.

Glad to see some progress on the car! The second tranny is the one with the hardened first gear. Put that one in when itís running right and Iíll fly up to do some redline all wheel drive launches.
      I... did not know this background info.

5. 04-11-2020 03:05 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      Spoken like somebody that has owned an aircooled beetle at some point.
      Very true!

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      04-12-2020 10:49 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      Aside: I checked out that Atlanta guy's prices... they're okay, but still a bit steep.
      That's been my experience with him. Prices are in the "normal" ballpark. But he does have the parts. For some of the more hard to find parts, just having them makes the difference.

04-14-2020 10:20 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      That's been my experience with him. Prices are in the "normal" ballpark. But he does have the parts. For some of the more hard to find parts, just having them makes the difference.
      I tried to "haggle" with him, and he very firmly said "**** off" in the most car-guy way possible. "Anything less than asking price is not worth my time".

The issue with him is not really with the pricing, but with the shipping prices. Not worth to ship quarter panels across the US.

Vehicles
      04-14-2020 10:42 AM #57
      I tried to "haggle" with him, and he very firmly said "**** off" in the most car-guy way possible. "Anything less than asking price is not worth my time".

The issue with him is not really with the pricing, but with the shipping prices. Not worth to ship quarter panels across the US.
      I'm only an hour from him, so I have no idea what he wants to charge for shipping, haha. But yeah, he's a bit finicky to deal with. Definitely agree with that.

9. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2021 Audi RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      04-14-2020 10:44 AM #58

edit: Congrats on making it through the 2nd page, no more mega scrolling!
      Thank god.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

04-16-2020 11:09 PM #59
      Firstly, I'm going to try not to upload ridiculously large images anymore.

Here are some more pictures of some things that need doing.

Big yikes. Something pretty wacky is going on with the wires here. I think everything works, though.

If you look very closely, you'll see where the misfire is coming from (hopefully!)

Yuck... I need to give the floor a deep cleaning, then I think I will be adding some sound deadening, but I don't want to pull up the whole carpet.

What you're seeing here is what I believe to be the windshield squirter hose. Disconnected, and cabling cut.

Driver's side fuse box. On the left side (above the red fuse) is where I believe the windshield sprayer fuse is, but I am not positive. I'll need to do some digging, but it is on the low low list.

What you are seeing here is the reason that the hood is off -- it doesn't open. There is no tension on the latch cable, so I need to find those tensioners to get that working again. Side note: This is the most silly hood latch system ever. There are two levers that get pulled in and then a 3rd lever you move to the side with your hand to open the hood. Oh, Germans.

As she sits before we begin...

Some more goodies...

034 Motorsport fuel rail, too! I'm pretty sure one of the POs just went and loaded up on every 034 bolt-on.

2Bennett adjustable coil system. Pretty expensive option!

2Bennet Brembo big brake kit! I'll need to get the exact kit, I think there's a pamphlet somewhere here. Pretty expensive kit, though.

Again, coil delete kit by 034.

Getting into the diagnosis and work...

So, the seller said it has a misfire. He said he thinks it was the ignition switch, but he changed that out (allegedly) and there was no difference. He then said it is probably the O2 sensor. I did a tiny bit of digging, and low and behold, there is essentially no O2 sensor.

So this is the wiring that comes from the ECU to the ground and the positive side of the O2 sensor. As you can see, it does not exist.

And this is why. The cabling snapped off immediately upon touching the wire. This was the negative end. The positive end was also snapped off (but still holding in place, connected).

The other end, for reference.

So, what next? I pulled out the injector bank and the O34 strut bar to dig out the cable. There were a few zipties to undo (which snapped promptly with the slightest pressure) and I was able to fish out the loom. The wiring was so short that in order to work with it properly, I had to cut into the loom. I will get some large heat-shrink at some point to fix that -- you'll see what a mean.

Then, I crimped some terminal connectors after peeling back the sheathing and stripping the wires. Electricians: Does this look okay?

The heat shrink I had ended up being just a tad too large, but the other stuff I had was a tad too small... I took some plyers to it to square it up anyways. I'm sure this is probably not ideal.

I then wanted to make it a little bit nicer, so I heatshrunk the heatshrink.

Now I wait on the O2 sensor that is on order. I'll start it up tomorrow to see if the current O2 sensor in it is any good, but I suspect not. Also, I forgot to mark which one was negative before the heatshrink went on.

Bonus!!

So I ordered and installed some hatch struts. After initially ordering the wrong struts (for the sedan), these came in and fit just fine.

Next up: Maintenance!!

11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      mini-duramax, tdi westy, dieselgate tdi, and a miata'd mg
      04-16-2020 11:30 PM #60
      No offense but I'm not so sure the fix is really much better than the AutoZone spades that were in there. One step above, you used heatshrink so that's a plus!
      Build a connector with strain relief...

It looks like someone with a deep hatred of wiring just went to town on that thing

04-17-2020 12:27 AM #61
      No offense but I'm not so sure the fix is really much better than the AutoZone spades that were in there. One step above, you used heatshrink so that's a plus!

It looks like someone with a deep hatred of wiring just went to town on that thing
      I'm pretty sure those were stock, actually.
      Last edited by Mr Miyagi; 04-17-2020 at 12:30 AM.

Vehicles
      04-17-2020 09:40 AM #62
      Right??

04-17-2020 09:45 AM #63

I don't know what I was thinking when I said I think it was stock. At any rate, I don't really think it's going to be possible to get the original wire connector.

Vehicles
      2017 Jeep GC. Past: '14 Q50, '03 WRX, '93 S4, '93 Saab 9K Aero
      04-17-2020 10:09 AM #64
      Looks like a fun project, good luck getting it up to snuff. BTW, that fuel rail and wastegate are stock. I had a 1993 S4 sedan for several years and still miss that car.
      Wasting time on VWVortex since 2002

04-17-2020 10:37 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by BagelConsultant View Post
      Looks like a fun project, good luck getting it up to snuff. BTW, that fuel rail and wastegate are stock. I had a 1993 S4 sedan for several years and still miss that car.
      You can almost feel how little I know about these cars with every post I make

17. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-17-2020 11:05 AM #66
      I don't know what I was thinking when I said I think it was stock. At any rate, I don't really think it's going to be possible to get the original wire connector.
      yeah, audi doesnt use hardware store terminals

well, if you end up having to recrimp them, and dont want to find a generic small two pin connector

use something like this, and crimp them with a tool

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-17-2020 11:35 AM #67
      I'd build new Deutsch or WeatherPak connectors for something like that.

19. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-17-2020 11:47 AM #68
      weatherpack sucks and theyre really bulky

but yeah, you can get the parts cheap, and theyre fairly easy to work with. so thats a plus...

deut$ch is always the right answer but....

though it looks like you can get 2 pin kits for under $10 on amazon. not sure if theyre knockoff, and youd have the problem of finding a good crimper. but theres probably no better waterproof auto grade connection you can make at home

20. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2021 Audi RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      04-17-2020 11:50 AM #69

but yeah, you can get the parts cheap, and theyre fairly easy to work with. so thats a plus...

though it looks like you can get 2 pin kits for under $10 on amazon. not sure if theyre knockoff, and youd have the problem of finding a good crimper. but theres probably no better waterproof auto grade connection you can make at home
      Some how, when VCG starts talking wiring, he makes it sound super sexy

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

04-17-2020 12:13 PM #70

You, gentlemen, are correct. I am going to re-wire this with Deutsch connectors at some point (tm). I have calipers coming in the mail for measurements of wires... looks like Deustsch sells their stuff as single-items and I'd rather not pay a fortune on the wrong stuff.

For now, I want to verify that was the problem and make sure it runs. Anything y'all recommend for grounding wires? I think the default terminals will work, although I will likely replace them with a stronger unit.

On another note, a tuner just released this: https://www.facebook.com/kptuned/posts/3960522500655143

Ms3 Pro Plug and Play for original (Ur) Audi S4 with AAN. Made to work with all oem sensors/outputs but with more flexibility than your standard chip tune. Additional features available in the accessory harness such as launch control, flex fuel, fan control, traction control and many analog sensor inputs for oil pressure and fuel pressure. $1550 as shown with 2hrs of startup support and tuning.

Looking at that or VEMS for the future... Currently chiptuned with O34 motorsports tune, but I hate chiptunes.
      Last edited by Mr Miyagi; 04-17-2020 at 12:15 PM.

22. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6
      04-17-2020 12:15 PM #71
      Do. Not. Go. Cheap. On. Wiring.

Do. It. Right.

Of all the possible gremlins a car may posses, none will lead to balding faster than wiring issues. Do the wiring right, do it once, and enjoy a well operating vehicle because of it.

You do the wiring half assed and you're going to be fixing it for the entirety of your ownership.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

04-17-2020 12:20 PM #72
      Do. Not. Go. Cheap. On. Wiring.

Do. It. Right.

Of all the possible gremlins a car may posses, none will lead to balding faster than wiring issues. Do the wiring right, do it once, and enjoy a well operating vehicle because of it.

You do the wiring half assed and you're going to be fixing it for the entirety of your ownership.
      Loud and clear! I completely agree. I guess I was just trying to blow off some steam yesterday and needed something to do

I'm going to get some pics, but I looked at the underside the other day and wow, I was mega disappointed. Overall the thing is clean. No rust at all which is very nice considering the car started off in the East for it's very early life. That being said, the exahust is NOT a Stromung exchaust. At least not from the cat back. It's all custom welded Borla and Magnaflow garbage.

Vehicles
      '16 F82 Krautrocket
      04-17-2020 12:57 PM #73
      Loud and clear! I completely agree. I guess I was just trying to blow off some steam yesterday and needed something to do

I'm going to get some pics, but I looked at the underside the other day and wow, I was mega disappointed. Overall the thing is clean. No rust at all which is very nice considering the car started off in the East for it's very early life. That being said, the exahust is NOT a Stromung exchaust. At least not from the cat back. It's all custom welded Borla and Magnaflow garbage.
      Meaning the downpipe is Stromung? If so, not a big deal. Namebrand catback systems are all marketing and typically manufactured by and side by side with Borla/magna etc. It's pipes and a muffler, any muffler shop can fab the pipes, its the diameter and muffler that is going to adjust the sound. FWIW, I find borla mufflers to have a very nice tone.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

25. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-17-2020 12:59 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Some how, when VCG starts talking wiring, he makes it sound super sexy
      He's the only person I know who makes wiring sound like something that doesn't give me a rage-induced migraine.

04-17-2020 01:12 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      Meaning the downpipe is Stromung? If so, not a big deal. Namebrand catback systems are all marketing and typically manufactured by and side by side with Borla/magna etc. It's pipes and a muffler, any muffler shop can fab the pipes, its the diameter and muffler that is going to adjust the sound. FWIW, I find borla mufflers to have a very nice tone.
      The downpipe is a "custom" piece apparently by a guy named Valencia.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast