Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. Miyagi's 1995 URS6 build - Project Wax On

04-18-2020 09:22 PM #76
      Update!

Spent some time in the garage today. My eyes are just now recovering from the millions of little pieces of grime that got stuck in my eyes. I need some goggles for next time.

Starting off

I dug into the wiring to get the O2 sensor working. By that, I mean I plugged it in after my lovely wiring job the other day. Started it up and ruh roh, it bogged! No fear, I switched the wires around (50/50 chance in getting it right the first time) and this time no bog! I think the O2 sensor is sorted. I have Deutsch connectors on the way to wire it up correctly, but for now this is fine. I need to run to work to grab my Surface to run VCDS and grab some codes to verify it is resolved.

Next up

I talked a little about the exhaust before. Well, here it is. Yikes!

And no, I am not smart enough to zoom out first.

How did we get to that point? Well, there were these absolutely terrible hangers installed. I highly doubt they were stock because, well, they clearly were not. I'm not quite sure yet where the stock hanger locations are (haven't looked), but I don't think it's where these were. It also makes me even more suspect about this being a Stromung exhaust.

This was the hanger. It rubbed on the sway bar, unfortunately. I'll need to take the sway bar off and get that powder coated when I decide on doing that.

Hanger on the exhaust... not the best welding/rust protection.

This is the hanger slightly further up, near the first muffler

Rusty bolts...

Rusty and crusty. I think there was porbably a gasket there at some point, but not for some time. The bolts were welded on pretty hard from rust and torqued to hell. I think this exhaust has likely been on the car for a very long time.

While under there, I got a bunch of pictures of the undercarriage. There are a couple of spots that were slightly worrying, but overall not too bad.

First off: A wet spot right around where I believe the fuel tank is, near the back seats. Hmmm....

Pretty dirty, but not rusty.

Tiny bit of rust up near the hanger (spread from the hanger itself.)

And finally, the most concerning spot... under the trunk.

And a random hanger, which I don't believe is for the exhaust.

Rear way bar attachment

Also, a shot of the 2Bennett Bilstein coils!

And the absolutely destroyed bushing..

Finally, finishing up the day, I test fitted my S5 rotor wheels. They're 1" larger and quite a bit wider. The Avus wheels are terrible to look at, in my opinion. They're extremely heavy for their size and poorly balanced, as well.

Fisheye, sorry not sorry (only way to get the whole car in frame)

Yes, the front does have a slight spacer. The brakes are cleared by about 5mm.

When I took off the wheel nuts, I noticed that they were all cross-threaded. Not only that, but the wheel studs were as well. It's probably time to replace them, anyways, so I'll be doing that.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

04-19-2020 03:42 PM #77
      Purchased a new stud and lug kit from Racingline.

Also purchased a tap and die set to clean up the threads on the hubs.

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R, '96 993
      04-19-2020 04:14 PM #78
      This place might have some electrical connectors you are looking for : https://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/elparandtool.html

I know they made several versions on the Stromung exhaust over the years but thought they had dual tips : http://www.stromungexhaust.com/92-95...r-quattro.html

Oh, and I just remembered another site for Audi AAN info, parts, etc : https://www.motorgeek.com/

This guy has a bunch of parts : https://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic....=unread#unread

This, just for the sheer volume of info:

https://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/15184.phtml
      Last edited by Harold; 04-19-2020 at 04:22 PM.
      2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      04-19-2020 04:54 PM #79
      All-up - I have seen allot worse exhausts.

Let VCG take you down the wiring rabbit hole with a shopping list from WayTek. Its solid stuff at decent prices. Great zip lock bags lol.

The 02 sensor in the 930 is about that close to the turbine housing, that's sort of where you want it on a turbo car. Definitely not in the manifold as the stock 930 did. It may shorten the life a little sure. Mine has been fine but I will eventually put in a heat sink.

Keep up the work.

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      04-20-2020 10:15 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      I'm going to get some pics, but I looked at the underside the other day and wow, I was mega disappointed. Overall the thing is clean. No rust at all which is very nice considering the car started off in the East for it's very early life. That being said, the exahust is NOT a Stromung exchaust. At least not from the cat back. It's all custom welded Borla and Magnaflow garbage.
      FWIW, I wouldn't be too terribly disappointed in that. I had a 1st gen forester a few years back and I bought a Stromung exhaust for it. It was LOUD. I immediately hated it as soon as I started it up. I liked the sound, but it was just too loud and would drone terribly while driving. 0/10, would not recommend.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      04-20-2020 10:47 AM #81
      Looks like someone managed to out-German ze Germans here, and come up with something even more complicated and less effective than stock.

Keep us posted, OP! Great to read about your experiences.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      04-20-2020 12:14 PM #82
      Cool project! One of my favorite audis
      signatures are annoying, right?

04-20-2020 01:38 PM #83
      Stromung exhaust doesn't look like that- they also have dual tips (at least Gen 2-3.5). They're also not cut/welded construction- mandrel bent pipes all the way through.

This is what a Stromung looks like:
      http://www.stromungexhaust.com/92-95...r-quattro.html

10. Member
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 89 325i 80 D150 SWB
      04-20-2020 01:47 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      FWIW, I wouldn't be too terribly disappointed in that. I had a 1st gen forester a few years back and I bought a Stromung exhaust for it. It was LOUD. I immediately hated it as soon as I started it up. I liked the sound, but it was just too loud and would drone terribly while driving. 0/10, would not recommend.

I've had the opposite experience. I've got a Stromung on each of my E30s and had one on my E36 M3. Excellent sound and not load at all. They are regarded as one of the quieter aftermarket exhausts in the BMW world.

I bought all mine on group buys. Prices were good and the company was really easy to deal with.

04-20-2020 03:33 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
      This place might have some electrical connectors you are looking for : https://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/elparandtool.html

I know they made several versions on the Stromung exhaust over the years but thought they had dual tips : http://www.stromungexhaust.com/92-95...r-quattro.html

Oh, and I just remembered another site for Audi AAN info, parts, etc : https://www.motorgeek.com/

This guy has a bunch of parts : https://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic....=unread#unread

This, just for the sheer volume of info:

https://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/15184.phtml
      Thanks for the tips! A couple fellers over in the TCL discord helped point me the right direction -- I ended up ordering about 20 connectors from Waytek-wire.

Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      All-up - I have seen allot worse exhausts.

Let VCG take you down the wiring rabbit hole with a shopping list from WayTek. Its solid stuff at decent prices. Great zip lock bags lol.

The 02 sensor in the 930 is about that close to the turbine housing, that's sort of where you want it on a turbo car. Definitely not in the manifold as the stock 930 did. It may shorten the life a little sure. Mine has been fine but I will eventually put in a heat sink.

Keep up the work.

I've definitely seen worse too, but never owned worse! I'm going to be taking off the cat that's on it now just to see what it's like, and if there is any difference from the extra one I've got here.

I am definitely open to any and all electrical tips! I've already had someone tell me to just run new cable to the trunk, but I don't think I am going to go that crazy... I don't want to rip the interior apart.

I'm open to other options, but frankly Stromung is the only kit that I have come across that is a bolt-on that is still for sale in 2020. I am open to others!

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Looks like someone managed to out-German ze Germans here, and come up with something even more complicated and less effective than stock.

Keep us posted, OP! Great to read about your experiences.
      Not only was it rusty and the rubber bushing was falling apart, but you can't even get it off the hangar because it runs into the rear crossmember.

Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      Stromung exhaust doesn't look like that- they also have dual tips (at least Gen 2-3.5). They're also not cut/welded construction- mandrel bent pipes all the way through.

This is what a Stromung looks like:
      http://www.stromungexhaust.com/92-95...r-quattro.html
      Yep -- I think the guy got sold a story on that exhaust, or I did!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      I've had the opposite experience. I've got a Stromung on each of my E30s and had one on my E36 M3. Excellent sound and not load at all. They are regarded as one of the quieter aftermarket exhausts in the BMW world.

I bought all mine on group buys. Prices were good and the company was really easy to deal with.

I want one, especially since it is cheap (relatively). I'm interested in other options, though. I can't find them...

Also, I found this post which made me chuckle

I bet the PO of this car I own saw that post at some point when they decided to remove my spare wheel well
      Last edited by Mr Miyagi; 04-20-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Vehicles
      12 XC70 T6 | 09 Silverado
      04-20-2020 04:04 PM #86
      Oh, hello there!
      Audi C4 S6?

Vehicles
      12 XC70 T6 | 09 Silverado
      04-20-2020 05:04 PM #87
      If you ever put the rear seat bottom in, please cover the positive post. You don't want the rear seat springs touching that terminal, arcing and causing a fire.
      Remember when that red UrS caught fire at the dyno day?

Spoken like somebody that has owned an aircooled beetle at some point.

04-22-2020 06:12 PM #88
      Update!

Not much to update -- Studs came and so I'll put those in once I find time. I am currently cleaning up the garage of cardboard and parts in order to get the other problem child in there to fix the suspension. In the mean time, I snapped photos of all of the parts the car came with. Take a look at the imgur album https://imgur.com/a/lMSGk4h

Still waiting on the wiring stuff to come in to get started on the O2 sensor again. Once I get that sorted out as well as the wheel studs, I think I should be able to go for a drive. I really hope the replacement brake bomb did the trick, because the brakes still seem pretty stiff.

Also, I am open to suggestions on wheels and exhaust. So far I have seen a lot of examples of wheels but not sure which direction I want to go. Also, are there any other exhausts outside of Stromung?

FINALLY, if anyone has a thermal ceramic coating recommendation for the PNW, please give me a shout.

15. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6
      04-22-2020 06:35 PM #89
      Update!

Also, I am open to suggestions on wheels and exhaust. So far I have seen a lot of examples of wheels but not sure which direction I want to go.
      Stock wheels.

Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Vehicles
      S4, R32
      04-22-2020 06:44 PM #90

Finally, finishing up the day, I test fitted my S5 rotor wheels. They're 1" larger and quite a bit wider. The Avus wheels are terrible to look at, in my opinion. They're extremely heavy for their size and poorly balanced, as well.
      my S4 could use those wheels.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      04-22-2020 07:55 PM #91
      Update!

Also, I am open to suggestions on wheels .
      thank god. didn't wanna bring it up but those don't fit, in multiple meanings of the word.

I think any mesh, bbs, porsche style wheel would look great. probably a 16in size, maybe 17s
      signatures are annoying, right?

Vehicles
      E350 Wagon
      04-22-2020 08:00 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Stock wheels.

That's an RS2 Avant. He has a URS6 Avant- He needs the original Avus rims

04-22-2020 08:06 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Stock wheels.]

If my car was an RS2, maybe.
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      my S4 could use those wheels.
      Avus wheels? You could find a set closer I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      thank god. didn't wanna bring it up but those don't fit, in multiple meanings of the word.

I think any mesh, bbs, porsche style wheel would look great. probably a 16in size, maybe 17s
      Ha, I wasn't going to use them forever. Just wanted to test for ****s n gigs. The Avus wheels that it came with are way too small for the car. It's a big body, so it needs 5 spokes imo. Even the wheels on my S5 are a little be anemic. I'll take more pictures once it's on all 4 and outside, maybe you'll come around to it! At any rate, they aren't staying, just a little fun thing.

I totally forgot, but this is what I was going to post in the latest update -- The parts list from the previous owner! Please feel free to disprove claims, help with further identifications, and thoughts on these parts:

• New shocks on the front (2Bennett Koni I think?)
      • Rebuilt O1E spare transmission with hardened 1st and 2nd gears -- he says it is "built by Herr Kluge in Germany" whatever that means
      • Dual adjust Koni Shocks (extra) in shortened strut housings
      • 034 motorsport RS2 manifold
      • GT3071r Turbo
      • 034 Motorsport tune
      • 7A cams
      • Big ported head
      • 7a Flywheel (stock clutch)
      • Bosch 044 fuel pump
      • Short shifter (needs adjustment under the car, whatever that means)
      • 2Bennett big brake kit (Coleman brake disks) with braided steel lines
      • Custom turbo dp by Tim Valencia
      • EFI Express LS2 coils (as Chapel kindly pointed out!)
      • Power Stage output delete (whatever that means)
      • Seat heaters in the back seats
      • Turbo gauge (jank as hell)
      • Rear sway bar, suspension with "fixed ackerman"
      • Car has an O1E 6-speed in it
      • Dave Stone custom intercooler

The engine is super hard to figure out because he has given me a few different answers now as to which engine has which stuff in it. Also, the ad said it has a high-bias torsen diff, but I have to check to be sure. Anyone know how I can determine that?

Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      That's an RS2 Avant. He has a URS6 Avant- He needs the original Avus rims
      That is what the car came with

Last edited by Mr Miyagi; 04-22-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Vehicles
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      04-23-2020 10:21 AM #94
      ^ Is it just an effect from the camera lense, or does that rear wheel have some notable positive camber?

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R, '96 993
      04-23-2020 10:34 AM #95
      Those are 17" wheels right, original Avus wheels were 16". The UR-S4 had these wheels:

I had BBS RC wheels:

2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

Vehicles
      '16 F82 Krautrocket
      04-23-2020 10:41 AM #96
      The B7 RS4 wheels might work really well here.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 2016 BMW M4
      Prior Vehicles: '18 Infiniti Q50RS l '13 E92 335i M-Sport l '04 E46 330ci SMG l '04 MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

04-23-2020 11:34 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      ^ Is it just an effect from the camera lense, or does that rear wheel have some notable positive camber?
      Just the camera

I noticed that too when posting the pic

Those are 17" wheels right, original Avus wheels were 16". The UR-S4 had these wheels:

I do believe they are 17's.

Vehicles
      S4, R32
      04-23-2020 01:01 PM #98
      Avus wheels? You could find a set closer I'm sure.
      no, S5 rotors.
      welcome to the layer cake

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 128i, 2007 SV650
      04-23-2020 01:35 PM #99
      That is what the car came with

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you're trying to ID those wheels, but they look to be stock 17" B5 S4 wheels.

04-23-2020 01:58 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      no, S5 rotors.
      Sorry, those will be sold with the S5 whenever I decide I want something else!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast