VWVortex.com - DSG 250: how to test solenoid
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DSG 250: how to test solenoid

1. 03-15-2020 01:02 PM #1
      2006 Passat CC.
      After some driving, car stops moving when starting and shifting from P into R or D.
      Code: 17130 - Pressure Control Solenoid 1 - P0746 - 012 - Implausible Signal or Stuck Off

Was told likely N215 and N216.
      Bought tranny and removed the 2 solenoids.
      Before installing the 'new' ones, would like to dry test all 4.
      What should I measure?
      Resistance across pins (and compare all 4)?
      Put 12V across and do some 'clicking'? Or 5V?

After installation, can I run an output test with VAGcom (and diagnostics) without filling with oil?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-15-2020 11:05 PM #2
      K1 and k2 pressure control solenoids need to read 4.5-6 ohms. I’m not sure what voltage but they are simply an electromagnet and can be activated with any voltage but rely more on current. I would not use the car battery to test them though. Just measure the resistance.
      As far as doing a dry output test, I don’t know. Put fluid in it just to be safe.

4. 03-16-2020 09:37 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Sagginwagen View Post
      K1 and k2 pressure control solenoids need to read 4.5-6 ohms. I’m not sure what voltage but they are simply an electromagnet and can be activated with any voltage but rely more on current. I would not use the car battery to test them though. Just measure the resistance.
      As far as doing a dry output test, I don’t know. Put fluid in it just to be safe.
      Thanks, will measure the resistance first.
      I don't see a reason why it should be 5V (ECU/computers in some cases run on 5V) and not 12V; I will use some croc clamps and click the old valves a few times with 12V.

Try to avoid wasting $70 in DSG oil, therefore would be good to know if I can run the output pust (VAGcom diagnostic) without filling up.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 03-16-2020 01:07 PM #4
      I understand what you mean. If for some reason you have to drain the new fluid back out, i would use a new pan or clean the one i have really well. Then use a standard fluid pump to put it back in. Like the pumps used for gear oil bottles. If you do put power to the solenoids, just touch the contacts quick. Do not leave it connected. It could get hot really fast.

7. 03-16-2020 01:26 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Sagginwagen View Post
      I understand what you mean. If for some reason you have to drain the new fluid back out, i would use a new pan or clean the one i have really well. Then use a standard fluid pump to put it back in. Like the pumps used for gear oil bottles. If you do put power to the solenoids, just touch the contacts quick. Do not leave it connected. It could get hot really fast.
      That's plan. Just thought the output test (typically just a few clicks per solenoid) does not require fluid.
      Still no confirmation for or against.

8. 03-16-2020 03:44 PM #6
      requires car running, so cannot test solenoids without first filling up with expansive DSG oil.
      both old valve measure 5.0 Ohm.
      Both valves click and move with 12V.

Still hope that changing them somehow fixes my code and problem.

9. 03-17-2020 03:39 PM #7
      It makes sense now. I just thought maybe it didn’t need pressure to test them.
      Will you have to reprogram the mech or will an adaptation take care of it?

10. 03-18-2020 08:34 AM #8
      After swapping over the 2 solenoids from another DSG (both showed 5.0 Ohm and 'clicked'), did fluid and filter change.
      After some driving, above code comes up.
      Limp mode (drive letter blinking in instrument cluster, manual shift not working, "3rd" starting) and no reverse.

Any other solenoid I could change that would cause the symptoms and code?

11. 03-18-2020 03:13 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by vtraudt View Post
      After swapping over the 2 solenoids from another DSG (both showed 5.0 Ohm and 'clicked'), did fluid and filter change.
      After some driving, above code comes up.
      Limp mode (drive letter blinking in instrument cluster, manual shift not working, "3rd" starting) and no reverse.

Any other solenoid I could change that would cause the symptoms and code?
      Here an overview of solenoids in the 02E DSG 250:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ep...ew?usp=sharing