VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Modifying my 9A

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  red16vdub 
#1 ·
Dear 16vers

I have a 9A tallblock with 9,300 original miles that has been sitting in my garage for decades.

I'm now running a PL conversion in my 1980 Scirocco. It has met and passed smog requirements for California.

Still running CIS-E .

I finally wish to swap the PL for the 9A and keep the original CIS-E so that I can keep it smog legal here in CA.

I also have the 50mm euro intake I wish to put to good use. As many of you know that came using the KR head.

From my research, the inlets of the KR head are somewhat larger, but not so much that I can't just use the 9A head with a 50mm manifold, correct?

The issue for me is that don't want to remove the 9A head if I don't have to. It's a budget thing.
Therefore, what mods can I undertake without removing the head?

50mm?

I suspect cams would be no problem. If so which ones ? (street use).

Adjustable cam sprocket?

I have a fuel enrichment module I can use with CIS-E , would you recommend? (thought this would compliment the 50mm intake)

I already have a Techtonics downpipe and high flow cat.

I want to be able to smog it here in CA as I have been doing, so I know this limits things (ugh).

All or any suggestions truely appriciated!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.